SGOTM 16 - Plastic Ducks

ChrisShaffer

Board gamer
Not sure why US didn't hammer the GLH advantage home. I guess PD rexxed harder and took the war to the Ai much harder. They also stayed in slavery a lot of the game like PR did. Their strategy required caste a lot less. PD also had HR to help with happiness.

So, the curious among us wonder what we should have done to "hammer the GLH advantage home." What did we miss?

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising
Deleted. Too many personal thoughts.

Duckweed

Deity
^The core idea of SSV like game is to found an empire as big and fast as possible fueled by GLH. Starting with bigger empire means faster war pace and hence even bigger from capturing. You may notice that our corporation resources were way more than others by the time of founding, the advantage of corporations is huge, however the advantage comes from how fast you spread them and how many resources you collect.

Duckweed

Deity
I agree. That is typical example of not playing the map and staying in your comfort zone (Pyramids). However, it could be they didn't know how many islands and seafood was there in the first place. In any case, island cities available - GLH no brainer.

Not only playing the map, but also need to be oriented to

the difficulty level
the leader trait
the aimed victory

Don't want to repeat why, I explained it in SGOTM13.

An example was what we did in SGOTM14, bulb Math (leader trait oriented), build mids (map oriented. still a mediocre wonder with stone, but the best wonder to convert hammers to beakers in that game. can't remember, the hammer:beaker ratio is about 1:5), full SE to reach all techs needed in 250BC (victory type oriented) and then went for galleons + treb war (difficulty level oriented).

Mylene

Deity
It's somewhat confusing that i always find that line somewhere: Mylene, Deity playing style, too slow for sgotm or who knows what :)

You guys have 2 masterminds in your team that do much more game analysis work than me or any member in PR i.e. ever did. I am busy raiding with 54 peoples 5 days/week and sometimes leading them too which requires loads of brain work, if i really wanted i could try raising us on PD levels but i dun have that time or energy left cos there's real life too besides all compi stuffs.
We are able of understanding the basics of Emp. race games, but we are not able to make everything we somewhat planned happen.
Sorry for side tracking, but it's your thread where i found these rumors about me (this time).

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff
What is with the the whole "we weren't even trying" attitude of PR? You came (a highly likely) third, you should be proud.

I know I have a 'Staff' badge, but I was just a player this time around, and I really wanted to medal. I was trying, really hard, and so were all of the US.

Reading posts that you weren't even trying (despite the most thread posts) is a little insulting.

Just saying. :)

UnforcedError

Settler
What is with the the whole "we weren't even trying" attitude of PR? You came (a highly likely) third, you should be proud.

I know I have a 'Staff' badge, but I was just a player this time around, and I really wanted to medal. I was trying, really hard, and so were all of the US.

Reading posts that you weren't even trying (despite the most thread posts) is a little insulting.

I was certainly trying as long as I was part of the team. Just saying :)

Mylene

Deity
Sure, we been trying hard..just not as hard as PD or Kaku, just compare our sometimes funny posts about strats with what they do with their highly analytic tactics ;)
I think you did very well Neil and our teams been very close, both hard working, no offense at all intended by me.

What i was trying to say, these rumors are a bit silly. Me among others do understand more than just Deity 6 cities, Pyras and Curis outbreaks..what makes the difference in reality, concerning what Duckweed writes, is that we have some players that need much advice (so much that we even lost UE thru that, which made me sad cos i really like you UE), while teams like PD or Kaku have peoples with so much game experience and knowledge that they can easily say "this was the best way".

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising

Sorry for any upset caused to you and other teams. We were certainly trying. We are proud to get a laurel. There are always things we could of done better that is always the way with hindsight.

Duckweed

Deity
I don't have intention and interest in convincing and forcing any player to agree with my thoughts. It's quite a surprise that someone take all the comments personally, mostly we have been talking and comparing with Kaku.:lol:

"Not even trying", with 5000+ posts, yeah, a good excuse of ....;).

Mylene

Deity
a) Quote me where i'm saying we were not trying to play well.
b) Look at what most of our posts contain.

kossin

Deity
Please people :)
There's no need for this.

PR became a great team once you started playing with them, and it also attracted other great players. Lymond has kept improving greatly over the past years for example.

It's clear you don't devote as much time to this as other things in life, but just so does mostly everyone else (that I'm aware of).

I'll dig some posts when I get home and finish my thoughts, but remember SGOTM is a FRIENDLY competition :)
Fun, however you decide to have it in your team, is crucial. I had a lot of fun with this one and I'm sure all of you as well, seeing the tone of your thread.

Mylene

Deity
Sorry then, normal discussion for my taste but very tight forum, i knew this thou ;)
Just a game for funsies yeps ofc, why i thought discussing a bit like that would be okay, but oh well.
It's not like i took anything offensive, if somebody else did..sorry again. Till next time ~~

Duckweed

Deity
It's :rolleyes: to see the comments of "2 master minds", that was how we were beat miserably in SGOTM12. We had the most well known deity players in SGOTM14 and that's the worst team in our history. Players like BIC, Bebe and soundjata are much better than some so called deity players.

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising
I think Mylene has already apologised DW. She meant no offence. Let's leave the matter. :)

kossin

Deity
I must say, the last few days of SGOTM are always some of the more entertaining ones. The inter-team discussion, analysis and of course, watching the late bloomers wrap up their games is plain too entertaining :popcorn:

:goodjob: to the staff on another great map. I really hope this part of the forum stays alive for many more games!

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising
Should be a good last few days as the final 3 finish their games off. :snowcool::snowcool::snowcool:

Gumbolt

Phoenix Rising
So is Un 60% or 62%? Don't vassels have to vote for you?? I guess we will find out soon enough. I am guessing colonies would automatically vote for their master?

Top Bottom