SGOTM 18 - Kakumeika

I think you have it backwards. We will get a small amt of cash along with Philo.

RE: starting construction 1 turn sooner. You'd have to test that to make sure that it even matters. We still might not get Machinery any earlier. I figured that in the case of DivRight (7) instead of 8, we would just have to give a little cash (instead of get).

Ah, can't really test it. We gave up updating the test game. :sad:

True, we do have most universities, especially the all-important capital done in 2 turns.

Probably forget Construction 1 turn sooner ya.

OK, I like WastinTime's new plan, for the given reasons plus Pigs gets to build cats (for which I can try to prepare), and our workers get to move around better from bridges.

Polled recent EP levels:

Mansa is only adding 1EP on us per turn, so we are fine for that for the moment.

In Oporto, the sabotage production went up by ~110 per turn t98-100, so 1254/110 is approximately 11 turns to produce 170 hammers, so another 11 turns is approximately 340 hammers, which is a long way short of the 450 for MoM and Oporto has no BFC chops. So I think there is no threat of losing MoM if we take fail gold in Washington right now, and that we should be prepared for Joao to have a useful chunk of gold the turn after we finish MoM.

Starting play again, will update this post.

T100

Scout chariot finds joao settling party 5w of furry, no big deal.
Mansa gave us 70 gold in beg

T101
Joao settles Braga 5w of furry
Gandhi has 50 gold for beg?
Toynbee says most advanced civs are us, Mansa, gm, Gandhi, j, Dr evil, gk
Mansa pops a gsci
Refinanced Mansa pig supply for an extra buck
Besh down to size three, but all quiet
Mansa DR in 7

T102
Gandhi gartist - he researched music
Joao gsci
Dr e 50 gold
WastinTime was right about capitalist micro, but oxford is on schedule
Mansa DR in 5
All quiet

T103
Gandhi went back to Hindu :-(
GK archer no longer camped on city site, but he did not move n, nw, w or sw. ?? Hope that's a settling party forming, but the stopping criterion is actually seeing it move
Joao no longer wants HBR, so he is presumably teching it
EP rate estimates are still valid
Mansa DR in 4
Joao scouting units report only the sounds of crickets...

T104
GK settling party with two archers on grass 2s1e of Besh, which will trigger a stop. I will do minor scouting, clean up, and declare my set over.

I don't like researching 100% prior to the competion of Oxford University, but considering that our six Universities are complete and our capital is rather low commerce anyway, the plan seems passable. It still isn't right that we are researching two technologies (Construction and Machinery) that the AIs should be researching for us.

It may be better to continue our current plan to complete Gunpowder. At least we would be able to build early Musketmen. We could then trade Gunpowder for Philosophy and research Nationalism while waiting for Mansa Musa to complete Construction, Machinery and Engineering. However, it will be difficult to trade for these due to the dependecies between them. We may need to get Construction from Gandhi or Joao II or steal Construction from Joao II. Stealing Engineering or Machinery from Mansa Musa might be a good option if we prepare for such a steal with a Trojan city, sufficient espionage and a few Spies.

Getting the timing right for technology trades and researching technologies the AI should be resesrching for us just seems wrong. With the option to steal a few techonologies from Mansa Musa and maybe Construction from Joao II via some espionage slider may give us enough flexibility to overcome Mansa Musa's often bad research choices.

An Alternative without using Espionage:

1. Research Construction and get back on track by completing Gunpowder
  2. Trade Philosophy for Gunpowder
  3. Research Nationalism at 00% until Mansa Musa chooses his next technology
  4. If Mansa Musa picks Machinery, we continue Nationalism at 100% research
  5. If Mansa Musa picks Nationalism, we research Machinery and Engineering
  6. Trade for what we are missing from Machinery, Engineering and Nationalism, bulbing Printing Press when Machinery is acquired for further trade options
  7. Bulb Chemistry and research Guilds, Banking and Steel
  8. Hopefully, Mansa Musa researches Constitution, Economics and Corporat
  9. Trade Constitution for Chemistry + Guilds
  10. Trade something for Banking when we want MM to research Economics
  11. Trade Corporation + something for Steel
  12. MM researches Scientific Method + Physics or maybe Steam Power + Railroad
  13. We research the other research path, possibly bulbing part of Physics.
Or we do something similar in reaction to Musa Musa's research choices.

Sun Tzu Wu

Getting the timing right for technology trades and researching technologies the AI should be resesrching for us just seems wrong.

As long as we are able to trade those techs and get a good deal (like we should with Philo), then it feels right. Getting Constr + Machinery for MM will allow him to get us something else earlier. In this case, the risk is MM starting A.Wat and not trading Philo. But that risk is the same if we go for GunP.

In the general sense, you're right. In a normal game, we'd have several trading partners to get Machinery, etc. from, but this particular game is just about managing MM.

GK Archer.
He may have moved to join the settler! Get ready to attack!

Units are poised, but there's nothing to do until we choose to DOW, which we surely will not do until we see movement out of the capital? I could move woodsman2 Enslaver round, but I do not really see it gains anything.

Units are poised, but there's nothing to do until we choose to DOW, which we surely will not do until we see movement out of the capital? I could move woodsman2 Enslaver round, but I do not really see it gains anything.

Just carry on. You've got it under control. I was just getting excited. :) I wasn't attempting to offer advice.

:goodjob: Great Job mabraham. Way to set a nice pace. Too bad we hit a stopping condition or we coulda got a couple more turns outta ya.

Save is uploaded

Here is your Session Turn Log from 375 BC to 275 BC:
Spoiler :

Turn 100, 375 BC: The borders of Pigs City have expanded!
Turn 100, 375 BC: You have constructed a Market in Capitalist. Work has now begun on a University.
Turn 100, 375 BC: You have constructed a University in Shark. Work has now begun on a Galley.
Turn 100, 375 BC: Charles Darwin (Great Scientist) has been born in Djenne (Mansa Musa)!

Turn 101, 350 BC: You have trained a Horse Archer in Pigs City. Work has now begun on a Chariot.
Turn 101, 350 BC: You have constructed a University in Furry. Work has now begun on a Granary.
Turn 101, 350 BC: Ibn Muqlah (Great Artist) has been born in Delhi (Gandhi)!
Turn 101, 350 BC: Niels Bohr (Great Scientist) has been born in Oporto (Joao II)!

Turn 102, 325 BC: Washington has grown to size 5.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Washington can hurry Horse Archer for 2⇴ with 38ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 32 turns.
Turn 102, 325 BC: WheatIron can hurry Courthouse for 1⇴ with 18ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 34 turns.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Dr Evil has 50 gold available for trade.
Turn 102, 325 BC: The borders of Turfan are about to expand.
Turn 102, 325 BC: WheatIron will grow to size 3 on the next turn.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Karakorum will grow to size 4 on the next turn.
Turn 102, 325 BC: StoneClam will grow to size 2 on the next turn.
Turn 102, 325 BC: You have trained a Chariot in Pigs City. Work has now begun on a Axeman.
Turn 102, 325 BC: The borders of Turfan have expanded!
Turn 102, 325 BC: Gandhi converts to Hinduism!

Turn 103, 300 BC: WheatIron has grown to size 3.
Turn 103, 300 BC: Karakorum has grown to size 4.
Turn 103, 300 BC: StoneClam has grown to size 2.
Turn 103, 300 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Karakorum.
Turn 103, 300 BC: Shark will grow to size 7 on the next turn.
Turn 103, 300 BC: You have discovered Construction!

Turn 104, 275 BC: Capitalist can hurry Buddhist Monastery for 1⇴ with 13ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 35 turns.
Turn 104, 275 BC: Shark has grown to size 7.
Turn 104, 275 BC: Furry can hurry Granary for 1⇴ with 12ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 104, 275 BC: Karakorum can hurry National Epic for 2⇴ with 8ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.

Forgot to start the other log sorry

Notes for next player:

There's some map comments about the culture percentage on interesting tiles around Besh, they're now pretty much irrelevant.

Washington has a scheduled HA whip noted for t107

Pigs has a chop coming in, but that turn we should not work all the mines, unless we want to generate overflow gold, because the multiplier is too high.

Clams whipped an Org lighthouse, since that's how you should roll. Am planning a two-pop whip of the granary, which I thought slightly better than working the Phill

Buddhist missionary scouting centre of Joao, chariot scouting for mansa's stack, new horse archer scouting south side of Joao

Spears are positioned to avoid GK having easy city attacks, maybe we want to start an archer in Ning.

WheatIron has a courthouse for lack of obvious alternatives at the time - the lack of river tiles suggest this city should be a unit pump, not a cottage site. Turfan is also nearly done on its courthouse.

NEpic is nearly done - expect fail gold from Washington then. Expect fail gold from Turfan when MoM completes ~T111

Workers are positioned mostly away from vulnerable parts of the GK front.

Good luck!

Let's get our stack over more East this turn (and add the Washington HA) so it can get into position to attack either city T105. If the new city has 2 archers, we will want to kill one of them.

Get a team on that Ivory! Joao, you're next!

Grand Strategy/next Turnset goal: (still relatively on track): 20 cities by 1AD! It can be done!

Top Bottom