1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 18 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jul 31, 2013.

1. zamint3

zamint3 Emperor

You're probably right!
    Good luck!
    :hammer:

2. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Deity GOTM Staff

Played 3 more turns and will have to stop until Sunday (about 36 hours from now), but a good time for discussion.

IBT: Our chariot fights bravely and causes Evil's HA to withdraw before succumbing to Evil's chariot, delaying their advance; GK's stack advances on Boston; Joao gets a GS

T105: Lose 2 cats but eliminate GK's Boston stack (3 Ks, 3 cats); bombard and advance on Beshbalik

IBT: Gm's trireme continues down our coast; another sword in Beshbalik

T106: Lose 2 cats and an axe but take Beshbalik, eliminating 2 Ks, 3 SWs, an archer , and a GG;

IBT: Paper>Music; trireme igonores fish net???

T107 (200BC): Note that there are now five units in Old Sarai; note that a cat and a sword (and probably more) units have moved south from Karakorum; advance units

For discussion:

What trade to make with Mansa for Paper? Like Currency, because HBR is going to be available via extortion and MC via trade; plus, we can research Music ourselves.)

What to research next? Have put in Music, but Education is a possibility, as we'll have a GS soon.)

Worried that trireme has avoided our fishnet. Only explanation I can think of is that he is being positioned to protect GM's galleys transporting units. Thoughts?

Worried about Evil's forces. His HA and Chariot should appear soon, perhaps with some friends. What will we have to do to get peace with him?

We can now build the HE. When and where? (What about Pig City now? We have two chops ready to speed it up.)

edit: SAVE IN NEXT WINDOW

3. Cactus Pete

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Really like Currency, for your reasons, but also because he will also give us 125 Gold for Paper. :thumbsup:

If we can spare the Pig, he will give us 3gpt for it. :)

Remember, we cannot broker techs. :sad:

Like Education, although will we have time to build University when we need units?

edit - opens up Liberalism too. :)

Not sure what to say about it. The AI plays kind of stupid with boats. Usually it just stacks them up, kind of odd leaving one out there doing nothing?

Would keep some units handy just in case.

Think we'll need a Spear on the forested grass hill where the Axe is now in the gap.

Guess we have to kill more units to get him to make peace?

Like Pig City now, and chopping it is even better. :thumbsup:

5. zamint3

zamint3 Emperor

Nice fighting CP :goodjob:

Agree with leif: Currency + 125 g for Paper
    Research Music->trade with Gandhi for MC (cheap forges!!), then Machinery->Engineering (we'll need those trebs soon :crazyeye:)
    Agree with HE in Pig City now, great planning of the chops :goodjob:

I would let a spear+axe scout west.

I don't know about Goldmember, leif's probably right, but we better leave a few more units in Fish City, the MPs will do good ;)

6. The-Hawk

The-Hawk Old Original Geezer

Interesting to me that everyone want to trade paper. Usually I won't. Mansa has Philo already, so if we trade Paper, he probably will beat us to Liberalism. I guess we need to decide if we are going to go for Liberalism or not...

7. Sengir

Sengir Deity

I'm not in favor of trading paper either, unless we're giving up Lib already. Which I would do if we're going after a diplo victory, but not for the other victories. So it again comes down to our victory condition (for me at least). Or do we think we can get diplo without the bonuses from religions?

About the trireme: IIRC there's a scouting unit-ai which doesn't include any pillaging. Not 100% on this though.

And I agree on HE in PigCity.

(btw, my comp is civ-capable again :D )

8. leif erikson

9. Cactus Pete

Interesting explanation re trireme's behavior.

We badly need what Paper can bring.

10. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Not everyone :p. I am with you and sengir. I rarely trade paper too soon. And we will have capture gold to get some of the needed techs out of the way soon. The question is when is soon. I need to look at the save. Will be back.

11. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Ok look like we are not going to be too badly off if we trade paper to Mansa. We get a GS in 5 turns. Once the capital grows, add 2 more scientists to get the next GS soon as possible. I think the capital should build the University of Sancore.

Trade Paper and our map to Mansa for Currency and 155g. Then trade our map to others including Joao. Run Music at 100% and hope we can trade music to Gandhi to get MC.

I hope Mansa is learning Nationalism and we can trade Education for Nationalism. But the trick is to bulb Lib with the next GS and liberate MT. That mean no Machinery. We can trade for it oooor get it for free from Joao. ;)

Some micro suggestions .
    1. Whip the cat in NY this turn.
    2. Switch the build to cat in Boston and whip next turn. Overflow should complete the archer.
    3. Pig should build a Cat and whip next turn and OF to spear or HE. Also I would keep the spear that with the GG near by and let the cat and GG go join the party. (do not have to finish the two chops until the HE is being built.)
    4. Capital need a cottage or two.

CP, I am guessing that you going to mop up Samarkand. I think that is great, he should have no more than 4 units there. If you were not, then please give it a thought.

Anyways good going.

12. Cactus Pete

We'll see. Many difficulties could quickly crop up from here.

Playing in about 8 hours. Speak now.

13. zamint3

zamint3 Emperor

Free Religion (with Liberalism) obsoletes Uni of Sankore, so one more reason not to build it. :nono:
    Free Religion does mean more expensive culture espionage missions, the 40% discount goes away! :mischief:

I don't mind ignoring diplo and going for Liberalism, but our research will be slow ;)

I think we need both Compass and Calender in order to bulb Liberalism! :mischief:

I would wait one turn after trading for currency before selling our map, Mansa might sell it to others IBT, lowering its value :eek:

14. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Remember in this game if we adopt free religion we are required to remain in Free Religion for the rest of the game. No going back. Of course we are allowed to tech Liberalism without subsequently adopting Free Religion.

15. zamint3

zamint3 Emperor

:nono:

16. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

OK - my faulty memory. I rechecked the rules:

"You MUST use Free Religion civic as soon as (or if) you learn Liberalism, and then may not switch out of Free Religion until the end of the game"

Thanks for correcting. So getting a free tech from Liberalism (even if we arrived there first) locks us into free religion for the rest of the game.

17. Cactus Pete

Appreciate all the feedback.

Going to research Music, then ED as planned (because we will have the GS), but next tech is up in the air. Team needs to decide upon value of Liberalism and intentions re Diplo victory, but let's see if it remains a viable option.

Playing . . .

18. Cactus Pete

Going well. Will play some more in a few hours.

INTERIM REPORT:

T107: Execute thread plan

IBT: GSpy born somewhere; GM caravel shows up near Fish City

T108: Heal units and advance on Samar;

IBT: Music>Ed; Gandhi offers, and we accept, MC plus 110 gold for Music; HE>Forge

T109: Negotiate peace with Evil for Aesthetics; lose cat but take Samar

IBT: Uneventful

T110: Lose spear killing 2Ks; begin advance on Karakorum

IBT: GM completes Shwegadon Paya

T111: Advance and heal

IBT: Advancing units suffer minor damage from cat attack; GS created

T112: Kill the cat; bulb part of Ed; continue advance on Kara (no cats there . . . yet)

SAVE: http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=363365&stc=1&d=1382304212

Attached Files:

19. leif erikson

Looking good CP!

We could trade Lit to Dr. Evil for 140 Gold to help research Education?

Also, we could trade Fur to either Mansa or Gandhi for 3 gpt or 2 gpt.

GM seems to have taken his Trireme and gone home? Nothing from his side of the world?

Curious about the Settler build?

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

20. Cactus Pete

Hadn't intended to stop and file an interim report. Forgot I had settler put in place until end of turn run through cities. Not going to build a settler.

Evil's gold has been increasing, so I've been holding out for more, knowing that city gold will be coming in to help get to Ed, if Evil goes broke instantly.

Will trade fur.

Trireme last seen sailing within Members Only culture.