1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 19 - Phoenix Rising

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I saw someone posting that you can gift and raze cities again, i wonder if they are in for bad surprises here or if we missed something with Yeha.

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Looks like we are certain bronze. Only TSR and A S S can beat us. Apos seem to be about 15 turns behind us.

Those 2 turns or so on PH could prove costly.

We were joint first to Constantinoples. Also first to start cuirs.

If the other teams don't finish on time we may get a default gold.

Overall I am not sure where we could of saved that many turns. Did Communism speed us up or slow us down?? Should we of built it after we started spread? Hmmm.

A good job overall.

3. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

At size one you can. May also depend on culture you have??

4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I guess at some point we could post in lurker thread. Most teams may have guessed we are nearly finished. It's amazing how quickly we managed to take down all the AI. When a map requires cuirs we really excel.

Really couldn't see trebs working here. So much food and chances for great people here.

5. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

Communism clearly sped us up. Golden age beakers, two free civic shifts, KREMLIN.

6. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Taking a break from Civ stuff for some time probably now, gratso again guys i think we did do much right this game. And we will get 3rd place for that surely, with maybe a close race for silver with Duckies. But no matter how that turns out, being very few turns behind such a team will still be a milestone for PR.

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

6 turns from ASSid is a huge acheivement. If they mess up we will grab silver from them.

I will enjoy a few quiet nights for once. Although I will miss the fun of our game.

You deserve a rest Fippy. Glad you stayed the whole game too. Unusual for so many players to still be around come the end of our games. :lol:

We had a very strong team this game. Lots of experience with Fippy to drive us to tough goals.

8. chessplaya

chessplaya Prince

Very well played everyone, congratulations! Sorry I didn't help more towards the end. It did seem like we should get at least third for awhile, and it's tough to compete with TSR/ASS when they have so many strong deity players even if we are a bit behind them that's quite an accomplishment for us.

As far as gifting and razing cities (above size 1)--we did this twice! With our Toku gift city and our Nappy gift city. So we haven't missed out on anything. I'm pretty sure the rule is that only cities you settle can be gifted and razed, so since Yeha was captured we didn't get that option.

9. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Congrats, gang, on a very well played game!

I don't think anybody has done definitive code diving on this but if you put very little culture into a city before giving it away (like no more than 3:culture: in a new city, or somewhat more if a city already has somebody else's culture) you can still raze it if you capture it later. I think it was TSR that looked at this most closely.

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Who is this Fippy you speak of?

11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I find it hard not to use screen names. Of course I meant Mylene.

12. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

One issue with always being one of the first teams to finish. Can't blame them for using all information at their disposal, and they are only ~3T from Demo and finding out the objective anyway, but a little head start on planning never hurts.

13. chessplaya

chessplaya Prince

I've been saying Fippy this entire SGOTM and no one complained, lol. I'll start referring to her as Mylene if she prefers.

14. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Wow that culture graph has given away final quest a bit. I only just noticed the crazy rise in our culture graph when you posted this.

I guess it is nice that they are following our game so closely.

If we had known about sushi rule we might of gone demo last? Of course they will not know barb part of rule yet either? hmmmm. This is perhaps the biggest downside to the late objective in a game.

15. lymond

I was just poking the bear on that one ..the Gumbear :lol:...Gum and I have known My for a few years now and played several SGOtMs with her before this one...long before she changed her handle. I never stopped calling her My

(for Gumbear reference you should check one of our old SGOTMs...pretty funny I think.. Forget the # but we played as India against a map full of Toku's)

16. lymond

Interesting to note that Also Quacked Sid held onto Lib. I think they will finish before us for sure, but maybe close.

Hard to read where TSR is exactly, but they are clearly moving on nicely with the Alum approach. Not sure if they have Demo yet or know the corp spread requirement. Other than reading there voluminous posts, they rarely post screenshots and the ones they do post just have the map. I guess they do that on purpose.

17. adrianj

adrianj Deity

Great work PR! You're certainly up for an award this game, possibly even Gold if the other teams play inaccurately with the deadline looming so close.

I've tried to keep up with your thread, as it is interesting reading and you have lots of good ideas. Skim reading is definitely the way to go!

I've really enjoyed the Lurkers thread after we (MGN) finished - lots of info summarized there, eg, team general plans and key milestones. Only ASS and I think US are yet to learn the hidden requirement.

18. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

TSR actually libbed Demo around the same date we libbed MT (then they got 1 turn SoL). It's interesting that they've been doing everything very differently right from the start and probably will win this thing... There's so many different approaches. I suppose that's what kept us interested all these years.

19. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

SoL would've been very strong and with Demo requirement it made sense to get it. It's a shame we weren't in a good position to do that because it's something that i really wanted. It's clear they prioritized teching (as usual) putting off military until much later to cash in early on SoL beakers. It's very difficult to guage where they are, but just from a quick read the only thing i can see holding them back at this point would be military because it sounded like they had quite a few AI still in play. Ultimately, I doubt that will be an issue for them though.

20. lymond

hmm...Lurker thread was interesting to read, but not as interesting as I thought it would be. I expected more discussions early on about teams strategy and maybe even more off the wall comments. While there were a few good lurkers early on, the discussions seemed to peter out quickly. Thread didn't really get interesting until MGN finished and adrianj started posting. Now it's more of a lobby for team players that finished.

I guess the threads do get harder to follow as they progress. Some lurkers probably just focus mainly on one team.

Not saying the lurker thread is not a good idea, but just expected more from it. As more team's finish it will get more interesting.