SGOTM 19 - Xteam

I made a test game with the 2 known AI and I added 2 industrious AI with Mable in the city center hoping that they will build the Oracle. But no one is taking the bait.

I did not have time to play past turn 4 but someone can take this save and bring it up to current actual game save.

I do not think I can test until tomorrow. Please check the accuracy of the map.

Attachments

• SG Test Game BC-3840.CivBeyondSwordSave
    48.6 KB · Views: 122
Roster:
The-Hawk - UP
Mad Professor - On Deck
fishystick
Htadus
Cactus Pete
leif
Frederiksberg

Let's try this? :please:

Sorry, not until the weekend... I have customers visiting from overseas which means long dinners. If nobody can pick up before Saturday, I can post a plan then and play on Sunday.

Ok, I'll pick it up and get a short turnset in this weekend. Probably play thru math and then turn over for discussion and a new player. Would like to hear final votes on henge and axes. My current inclination is no to both. I'll check responses then post a plan on saturday for comment. Then play sunday.

I don't see why we would want to chop either SH or axes before Math, and without chopping wouldn't think we'd get much done, but leif has done much testing and I have done little.

Just ran through this again as had not built Stonehenge before in testing.

By the time we have founded our second city and improved the Marble tile, Math is nearly completed and does complete before the first chop. Stonehenge required 2-chops and a 1-pop rush to complete relatively quickly. We are at risk of not getting it.

As we are Charismatic, we gain +1 Happy face and +1 Culture per turn. With the founding of new cities, we will get cultural expansion 10-turns after founding. In the case of the Gold City up north, that is a big advantage.

Is it worth 120-hammers? Think it might be, depends upon how many cities we plan to build. Although, free Monument will also appear in captured cities. +1 :) and +1 :culture:
:hmm:

Here's what I did to build SH.

Cap: Whip settler @ pop4, build units, whip worker @ pop 4

Pig City (1W of pig!): Stonehenge.

Worker: Road to Pig City, pasture pig, build mine on grass hill, chop 3 forests together with new worker from Cap.

SH built ~T33.

Have a nice weekend :beer:

OK I have my plan built. Looks like we have consensus to build Henge and research currency. I propose playing until I've completed Henge, hopefully turn 33. I won't post all of the grimy details, but here are the builds:

• (building granary at start)
  • switch to settler at pop 4
  • whip
  • complete granary next turn
  • granary -> start archer
  • switch to worker at pop 4
  • whip worker
  • archer to warrior
  • warrior -> warrior
  • switch to worker at pop 4
  • whip worker
  • warrior -> archer

City two builds Henge the whole time.

Research Math -> Currency

Diplo: Unlikely we will get any trade offers, however, in the test I did get some demands. I will not give in to any demands.

Some comments:

• I was contemplating building only warriors to save hammers. However, I've seen too many barb axemen for my liking. I think we need archers as MPs and eventually fog busters to be safe. Also, with the whipping, there have been plenty of overflow hammers to move the archers along.
  • I thought about a third settler before worker 3. However, with the chopping for Henge, we use so many worker turns. The third worker will allow us to road to city 3 site and cottage the sugar simultaneously. I think the extra worker is worth a delay in city 3.

Agree about building units stronger than warriors other than a MP for the capital. Also glad that you are considering 3rd worker before 3rd settler. Archers are OK but axes are better.

Good with attempting to build SH. If nothing else, we get some failure gold.

I hope the team really consider going after Asoka capital Sooner than later. Other than fail gold, city capture is the next best way to get more gold. In addition it makes one of the opponents weak. My test shows it canbe done against protective archers and aggressive axes. We do not have to deal with such in the real game.

Wait until we have to deal with Tokugava's Uromo warriors. :eek:

I am going to be off line for a while until I get this computer working so good luck.

Agree with the plan. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Once we get to turn 33, think we should consider our position vis-a-vis Asoka.

Quick 20 minute set, followed my script to the letter. However, I did discover some surprises and mysteries.

Highlights:

• IBT 18 and 19: Met Alexander of Arabia. Considered DOW'ing him (I have a 5 year grudge against Alex), but opened borders instead.
  • IBT 18 and 19: Find a mined copper tile out in the middle of nowhere.
  • Turn 19: Settle city 2, discover a wheat tile to our south.
  • IBT 19 and 20: Asoka settles horses to our NW.
  • Turn 24: Scout finds Napoleon of Ottomans.
  • Turn 28: Math -> Currency (just in time for the three Henge chops)
  • Turn 28: Scout finds Kublai Kahn of Spain. Scout reports the leader of Spain has gotten a lot uglier than he remembered when he last met her. :ack:
  • IBT 31-32 A barb Longbow moves into sight of scout. :eek:
  • Turn 33: Stonehenge completed. :D
I have uploaded the save for the next player. Note that I saved before taking any actions on turn 33. A unit is active when you open the save.

Thoughts for next player:

• I had moved a worker up towards sugar thinking we would cottage it on turn 34. However, we may want to consider hooking the copper first. If there are barb LBs about, we might need some axemen.
  • I would switch capital to settler at pop 4 and whip the next turn.
  • A worker is NW of capital. Intent is to road to the rice site. In my testing I had gone beyond turn 33. If this worker starts to road immediately, the road will be complete just as we whip a settler in the capital. Then the settler can move to the rice site in one turn.
  • The last worker just finished the chop of Henge. He is on a PH, I would think he would mine it while he is there.
  • Based on my previous testing, I MM'd city 2 to allow us a two pop whip of the Granary in 3 turns.
  • There are two lions and a wolf floating around south of city 2. I sent my archer down there to try to entice them to attack.

Some screenies:

Location of mystery copper mine and Barb LB:

turnset 1 capture 1.jpg

Lands to our North:

turnset 1 capture 2.jpg

Lands to our South:

turnset 1 capture 3.jpg

Turnset log from upload:

Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 3440 BC to 2680 BC:

Turn 17, 3320 BC: You have trained a Settler in Amsterdam. Work has now begun on a Granary.

Turn 18, 3280 BC: Barbarian's Lion (2.00) vs Trumpster's Scout (2.05)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Combat Odds: 36.2%
Turn 18, 3280 BC: (Animal Combat: +5%)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: (Class Animal Combat: +100%)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Trumpster's Scout is hit for 19 (81/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Trumpster's Scout is hit for 19 (62/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 20 (80/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 20 (60/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 20 (40/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 20 (20/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 20 (0/100HP)
Turn 18, 3280 BC: Trumpster's Scout has defeated Barbarian's Lion!

Turn 19, 3240 BC: Utrecht has been founded.

Turn 21, 3160 BC: Barbarian's Lion (2.00) vs Trumpster's Warrior (3.10)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Combat Odds: 9.1%
Turn 21, 3160 BC: (Animal Combat: +5%)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (76/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (52/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Trumpster's Warrior is hit for 16 (84/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (28/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (4/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Trumpster's Warrior is hit for 16 (68/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Trumpster's Warrior is hit for 16 (52/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (0/100HP)
Turn 21, 3160 BC: Trumpster's Warrior has defeated Barbarian's Lion!

Turn 23, 3080 BC: Islam has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 25, 3000 BC: You have trained a Worker in Amsterdam. Work has now begun on a Archer.

Turn 27, 2920 BC: You have discovered Mathematics!

Turn 28, 2880 BC: Napoleon adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 30, 2800 BC: Asoka adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 31, 2760 BC: Amsterdam can hurry Worker for 2⇴ with 17ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 16 turns.
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Utrecht.
Turn 31, 2760 BC: You have trained a Worker in Amsterdam. Work has now begun on a Warrior.
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Alexander converts to Christianity!
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Barbarian's Lion (2.00) vs Trumpster's Warrior (3.10)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Combat Odds: 9.1%
Turn 31, 2760 BC: (Animal Combat: +5%)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (76/100HP)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (52/100HP)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (28/100HP)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (4/100HP)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Barbarian's Lion is hit for 24 (0/100HP)
Turn 31, 2760 BC: Trumpster's Warrior has defeated Barbarian's Lion!
Turn 31, 2760 BC: While defending, your Warrior has killed a Barbarian Lion!

Turn 32, 2720 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Utrecht.
Turn 32, 2720 BC: Trumpster has completed Stonehenge!
Turn 32, 2720 BC: Asoka has founded Adrianople in a distant land.

Looking good Hawk. :goodjob:

The Rice City looks like a good production city.
How many more cities should we build?
And is war the better way to gain new cities?

edit -
Roster:
Mad Professor - UP
Htadus - On Deck
fishystick
Cactus Pete
leif
Frederiksberg
The-Hawk

Any chance MP?
Have PM'ed fishystick, but no response. :dunno:

Nice turn set, Hawk, but not sure it's looking so good. Especially frustrated that there's not a really good site incorporating the gold.

Answers to leif's questions are not clear to me. (Wish we knew what was in the fogged area between Constant and Thes.) An updated map for testing would be helpful.

Roster:
Mad Professor - UP
Htadus - On Deck
fishystick
Cactus Pete
leif
Frederiksberg
The-Hawk

Any chance MP?
Have PM'ed fishystick, but no response. :dunno:

Today/tomorrow not good. Plenty of time Wednesday, a little on Thursday, plenty of time Friday and Saturday. Looks like there's time for a little testing and discussion....

Well done by Hawk!

I updated Htadus test game with the moves I played. Perhaps Hawk could do the same while they are fresh in mind...

Test Game

Attachments

• SG Test Game BC-3440.CivBeyondSwordSave
    60.7 KB · Views: 122
Seeing that Asoka has settled horses it springs to mind that an axe attack could run into problems in the form of chariots :eek:. We need more information about Asokas land. If he doesn't have copper waiting for swords is probably the way to go.

With the information we have now I see only 3 obvious city sites and one marginal near our capital: 1N of gold (+irrigated rice), rice+clam (NW of capital), sheep+floodplain and the marginal is cow+marble.

We can easily build those 3 or 4 cities before we attack, the real issue is to have enough workers to bring the new cities up to speed ASAP with connecting roads, improved food and cottages. We already have the free monument and that helps. Rice+clam city can start building work boat immediately and have it ready about when culture expands and the gold city can work the gold mine building granary until expansion followed by farming the wet rice.

We need to post archers at our planned city sites to prevent barb cities from spawning i.e. one archer for gold city and one archer for sheep. I think we should also send a warrior to explore Asoka's territory.

Would add to Fred's thoughtful analysis, that, after settling his proposed sites, we will almost certainly want to go to war, as we will likely be boxed in without great research or GP cities.

Top Bottom