SGOTM 2 - Discussion Thread.

alamo

bang!

SGOTM 2 Discussion thread
The other thread was getting a bit long, so I've split out these posts to kick-off the SGOTM-2 discussions.

Please use this thread only for things like discussions on the variants, or issues that affect all teams. Thanks!

-ainwood

Since SGOTM2 is gathering steam this thread deserves a bump for the new players.

My first time out and I get the lead :eek: Where's that quick start hints thread again?

I presume that based on GOTM8 just means a map with same settings.

Civ: Germans
Difficulty: Monarch
Map size: Standard
Map shape: Continents.3
Barbarians: Raging Horde
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate
Game: All victories; Restarting players off
Opponents: 6 Rivals

The first post in the announcement cum sign up thread contains a link to the original announcement. The link is in my sig.

The map is the same as GOTM8 - well... nearly... ;)

Alamo: you are the lead, but you don't have to play first. You just get to decide who plays first ;)

I knew there had to be a catch.

Genghis Khan thinks the variant for SGOTM2 is to easy, because signing MA's with all the civs against your opponent in the vote he says will remove the challenge from the variant.

I am willing to modify the variant with the following restriction.

If you call a vote for the UN, you must be at peace with ALL your opponents

So... It's up to you people... do you want the added restriction or not?

You know where my vote is going.

I'm fine with either that or can't have any active alliances when the vote is called.

Hi Mad-Bax,

Are we supposed to avoid looking at other teams threads, similar to the GOTM where you can't look at a spoiler thread until you get to a certain level?

BTW - thanks for all the work. This is alot of fun and appears to have brought in several first time SG players. :goodjob:

Love AlanH's new scoring system. I am unworthy. :worship:

handy - There was a link to the rules in the sign up thread. From now on it is NOT permitted to look in other teams threads. With the forum software upgrade it is a trivial matter to see who is browsing which thread.

If you think that this has not been made clear enough I will ask Karasu to underline it in the maintenance thread.

mad-bax said:
Genghis Khan thinks the variant for SGOTM2 is to easy, because signing MA's with all the civs against your opponent in the vote he says will remove the challenge from the variant.
If you call a vote for the UN, you must be at peace with ALL your opponents
I agree with GK's more relaxed No MA, No MPP when you call for a UN vote.

The point is to not wash out your bad reputation with a state of war. That is a diplo bug anyway, IMHO. Civs should abstain if they don't like you but are at war with the other nominee.

Edit: By opponents do you mean chairman nominees? That sounds reasonable, and less restrictive in some ways.

Edit II: How about this - No war linked to a MA/MPP against competing chairman nominee(s) at the time you call a vote.

Please *promptly* flag up any problem you find with the new scoring and file management system. We have 13 teams depending on this system, so any glitch needs to be addressed quickly to avoid disruption.

Either use this thread to notify me and the other teams, or PM me. Do NOT assume I'll pick up information from any other team threads. I shall abide by the "no lurkers" rule while playing this game just like the rest of you.

Also, for information, any team member can upload a file, at any date in the game. When you submit the save file please enter your team member name exactly as we have it on the database to avoid rejections. It's not case sensitive, but any spaces or punctuation must be accurate.

I just want to be clarified on what exactly the saved game names have to be. I have sifted through the original discussion thread and i can't find it.

mad-bax said:
... I am willing to modify the variant with the following restriction.
If you call a vote for the UN, you must be at peace with ALL your opponents ...

The restriction suggested cannot be accepted because we are going to play the AW game with Diplo win. Just to put it short and plain simple.

With 60something players and only four people with an opinion I will not be changing the variant this month. There is enough in it I think to make it interesting. I also need to make sure the variants don't make games drag on for 6 months, or make them too daunting for the majority of players.

Sorry Genghis - If it makes you feel any better I would prefer the more restrictive variant if I were playing a standard SG.

Not a problem, just throwing the idea out there.

Good luck everyone!

mad-bax said:
handy - There was a link to the rules in the sign up thread. From now on it is NOT permitted to look in other teams threads. With the forum software upgrade it is a trivial matter to see who is browsing which thread.

If you think that this has not been made clear enough I will ask Karasu to underline it in the maintenance thread.

Please make a sticky thread in this forum with only! the rules in it and not allowing others to post in it. As it is now, it't impossible to find the rules - especially if you changed them.

grs: Yes it's needed, and in fact I promised the staff that I would do it 4 weeks ago :o The rules are not finalised yet, and changing them in the middle of a game is difficult. Nevertheless I will do it.

mad-bax said:

Thanks. I like this as a rule so the other teams can't peek at our thread to see how far behind them we are. Also I can't peek & see them making fun of me in their threads. :lol:

Sorry for the dumb question, I should have read the thread more closely before I asked. :blush: I'm the kind that glances at instructions - if at all - before I charge ahead to do something.

Handy slinks away to read the rules...

SesnOfWthr said:
Can someone give me a bit of clarification?

I have seen references to RBC rules etc., but what ruleset are we actually adhering to? Lkendter, RBC, GOTM? Or is it just a complete free for all?
GOTM-rules I guess. :crazyeye:
So it's gonna get pretty nasty out there :devil2: ..... on the other hand, we do wanna win the diplomatic way! :love2:

Yes, let me confirm... We are playing and have always played by GOTM rules. Last month as a variant of sorts teams were given a scoring bonus for abiding by RBCiv rules.

SGOTM in game rules are identical to GOTM Rules

I am writing up a rules and FAQ post that may be stickied shortly, and when the rules and scoring and the general way that this event works settles down into something we can all live with for a while, I'll put a web page together.

Top Bottom