SGOTM 20 - Fifth Element

Seems well played, and we seem in good shape too.
We should be close to the circumnavigation, but we're a bit low on temples.
Better a monastery in the Buddha instead of a monument.

Next target can be Gus to take the mids, then cap him ASAP... do this will make Cathy automatically a vassal or can be impossible (or very difficult) to have him to capitulate since he's got a vassal?
Then we can see what happens between Louis and Nap and between Chur and Vicky.

In the meantime we can build troops and temples and take the Islam holy.

Research: Theo, CS and stop to Philo.
AP victory is confirmed? We need to spread Cathy before the war starts.
Who's next? Me perhaps? no volunteers?

Wooden spoon... maybe, but aside PR wich seem the winning team we're not so bad.

We can't vassal Gus while Cat's his vassal.

How badly do we want the Pyramids?

As it stands Gus is the free Roman, Peter's the free Russian. That only leaves the English and French to sort out. If we ignored Gus we could move western stack to England and attack Vicky, she'll cap either to Churchill or us. That would only leave France.

We can't vassal Gus while Cat's his vassal.

How badly do we want the Pyramids?
I suspected this.
How badly? there's some project to rush-buy temples, but i think we can pop-rush them.

The real problem is that Cathy is a volunteer vassal, thus she can break her status at any time. There's the land/population constraint, but i think this is not a problem for her.

I'm fine with your reasoning, but aside this problem, there's Peter which blocks our path to Louis. Unless we want attack Nap by sea... long thing.

Longer than afford 3 probably unnecessary wars? We must try to figure it.

dead discussion?

I think we should just go after Gus. We need the Pyramids. Cathy will abandon ship when we start taking over Gus. Cathy and Gus will be our vassals soon. Then we go after Vicky + one of the French.

Sorry being not active last days/weeks. I have some urgent housing concerns

Longer than afford 3 probably unnecessary wars? We must try to figure it.
We'll need to subjugate one of the French and one of the English to satisfy "end the madness." Still, this won't come close to actually winning the game. We will need some wars just to grab some more territory for domination or AP victory. These wars aren't unnecessary.

We'll need to subjugate one of the French and one of the English to satisfy "end the madness." Still, this won't come close to actually winning the game. We will need some wars just to grab some more territory for domination or AP victory. These wars aren't unnecessary.
I must admit that i don't have a defined idea of what we need.

I was hoping in some discussion, but you're the only one decently active. I'm not that much, but i hope enKage can solve his problems soon and be back to his usual activity.

I'd like to not actively play for the remainder of this game, i'm too much rusty, so i'm also hoping you guys can bring it home. But if necessary i can do it. It's some 2 weeks to the deadline, so we must move on. Or give up.

I'd estimate that domination will come when we make a vassal of the antepenultimate opponent. The Pyramids are also very important. We need to switch to Universal Suffrage to speed up temples and missionaries.
I was hoping in some discussion, but you're the only one decently active. I'm not that much, but i hope enKage can solve his problems soon and be back to his usual activity.
I think we've already discussed all this already, except for what would be necessary for a domination win. I think we've all played games where we've won domination through making vassals of the vast majority of our opponents. After we take a couple of Gus's cities including Rome, Catherine should break free, allowing Gus to become our vassal. We then have to conquer Catherine and make a vassal of Vicky. Then we need to conquer the rest of the the Holy Cities.

After that, Churchill, the two French, and Peter will remain unconquered and not a vassal. Conquering one of the French could tip domination, so we should give back the cites that don't have two religions or spread them as we conquer. We should also have required number of temples at that point. If that doesn't tip domination, we have to war either the remaining French civ, or Peter.

I'm willing to take the game and play a set. We'll need more than me to finish this, since this is a team competition.

I'm willing to continue for the sake of team cooperation though personal enthusiasm has waned.

It seems we've swopped victory from AP to domination. Fairy nuff.

The problem is that we need to do all LoR states, but in the meantime we need temples and 2 religions in each city, included the new-conquered ones.

This can be far different if we choose Domination instead of AP.

Obviuosly if we see we're close to the Dom limit we can choose that, but we must act also to let the AP victory open. To do so, we need to spread our state religion to some city we're sure we don't need for domination or to have the owner capitulate.

Pigswill, if you can play some more turns, you're welcome.
Then Lor can play a long set, in the hope that enKage comes back.

ok. I'll play a few more. Have to remember the game now.

Had a look to remind myself. We get a prophet in 8 turns, next GP after that is likely to be another prophet.

Temples are less important than religion spread, temples can be whipped at the last moment. Barb buddhist city needs to whip budmiss asap.

Astronomy next? Maybe CS as we won't be bulbing astronomy any time soon. chain irrigation would be good, vassalage probably more useful than bureau.

Let's hope whoever builds AP is Hindu.

In terms of the war Cat is easy to block off (pike 3 xb on wooded hill). Capture nearby Gus cities, hope to wipe out Gus's stack in Jules' territory then go for Rome.

I agree regarding temples and missionaries, though I think we should head towards Astronomy and use a vassal to research CS.
In terms of the war Cat is easy to block off (pike 3 xb on wooded hill).
Guerrilla Janissary?

Played up to 1030.

840ad Declare on Gus/Cat.

900 Capture Ravenna and Arpinium. Circumnavigate the world.

920. Gus recaptures Ravenna killing one of our medix in the process. Very weak play on my part :nono: :thumbsdown:. Re-recapture Ravenna. Keep it this time. Astro is in, can't build monuments, start muzak for culture and a cafedral.

960. Vicky caps to Chill after losing a city. Music>Cash.

980. Peter demands astronomy for nuffink, I say no, he's no longer pleased, he's cautious.

1010. Prophet we spawned a couple of turns ago gets settled in Cervo.

1020. We capture Rome.

1030. One more turn. Cat remains a Roman vassal.

We could revolt to US. 1800g 250+gpt.

We have a few units facing Cat north of the Capital. Bit of a stalemate there.

We have a decent stack, enough to focus on building missionaries andd temples (and four more settlers).

We're up to 22 cities. Hinduism in 18, Buddhism in 4, some double, some none.

Amiens and Oxford have a couple of spare axes to garrison newly captured cities.

Played a bit loosely I'm afraid to say, could have done a bit better all round but they're played and no major setbacks.

With 2 settled prophets we're down to 62 temples neded, will get another prophet before end of game, some tweaks could get it a bit quicker.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=Fifth_Element_SG020_AD1030_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

I had a crash shortly into playing. I've PM'ed BSPollux and Deckhand. I tried to recreate my moves as much as possible.

I revolted to US, as we don't have much in the of Great People coming. I saw a few trades about. I traded machinery and compass to Liz for Philosophy and some gold. I trade Guilds to Julius for CS and Drama.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    316.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Mehmed AD-1040b.CivBeyondSwordSave
    316.3 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom