SGOTM 20: Spectators and lurkers ONLY

I would have never thought of that :)

because noone in the team got the idea, we were bound to limit our size while winning. -> limmiting our win possibility with AP only.

Louis and Cathy would of become a vassel at cautious assuming you had the size and military. The rest were friendly to become vassels. So more than possible.
You need to meet AIs early to get them to Friendly early.

Dates for hidden objective:

Team | RL Date | Game Date | Turn TSR | 26-07-2014| 1840BC| Turn54
CGU | 26-08-2014| 975BC| Turn76
FE | 20-08-2014| 825BC| Turn 82
USX | 04-09-2014| 275BC| Turn104
PR | 03-09-2014| 225BC| Turn106
MGN | 03-09-2014| 25AD| Turn116

Early exploration costs hammers and is a trade-off with early REX.

For the record, we (ZPV actually) correctly guessed the hidden objective after seeing the -20 relations. So we did not get an advantage by luckily finding everyone by turn 54.

FE up to 1250ad. Looks like most cities have 2 religions. Big downside is the barb cities now have LBs. I figure if they can cap Louis with their 30-40 strong stack. Spread religion a bit more to vassels and an Ap win should be on the cards.

Tao/conf city will hold them up abit too. Not sure why they are not whipping galleons up north and down south.

37 temples +3 priests =49. So only 21 temples off. Less 4 for another G priest in 6 turns.

Overall much more focus needed really. Too many random builds for this late stage. More missionaries, galleons, temples and push to finish this needed. Forges add little now.

10 or so turns to finish this?

Edit - They need the xtian shrine still. Could still attack Louis and attack nappy's xtian shrine on final turn razing it. hmmm. Nappy looks quite strong here.

You need to meet AIs early to get them to Friendly early.

CGU | 26-08-2014| 975BC| Turn76
FE | 20-08-2014| 825BC| Turn 82
USX | 04-09-2014| 275BC| Turn104
PR | 03-09-2014| 225BC| Turn106
MGN | 03-09-2014| 25AD| Turn116

Early exploration costs hammers and is a trade-off with early REX.

We didn't aggressively search for the English Civs. It didn't affect our early war plans to take both Peter and Catherine. We did however, trade quite a few techs with Churchill. Meeting him later in our game would have slowed us.

We didn't aggressively search for the English Civs. It didn't affect our early war plans to take both Peter and Catherine. We did however, trade quite a few techs with Churchill. Meeting him later in our game would have slowed us.
We didn't go for the Russians early because they had metal and lousy cities. That was probably a mistake. The northeast area had such great city sites that we could have had a far more productive and lucrative empire. Furthermore, WT concluded that we didn't need to attack Nappy at all, so that was also a waste. Who knows, we might have been 5-10 turns faster that way. (The catch here is that we didn't think of vassalizing until very late, so that's not a realistic hypothetical.)

The real benefit for us of getting Vicky to Friendly so early was trading for Feudalism while it was still a monopoly tech. We got it earlier than we actually needed it, but that would have also fed into a 5-10 faster finish.

actualy, I was sure astro was needed to find 7th and 8th guy (england). So we did not really care until their WB found a scout of us. that was quite a good surprise.

mapmaker are not so evil after all ^^

For the record, we (ZPV actually) correctly guessed the hidden objective after seeing the -20 relations. So we did not get an advantage by luckily finding everyone by turn 54.

I also immediately said the same thing when seeing the -20 relations, and I think someone else in our thread also already had mentioned it. The name of the objective makes it fairly obvious. But as this was a guess, we did not play as if this was an objective, until we got confirmation. And there was of course lots of other guesses thrown in as well.

For future games, hidden objectives are a nice idea, but the question is if they should be possible to guess. If they are and you can speed up your win by guessing and going for it, then it might lead to games where you have to pick a guess to have a chance to win. This could ruin the game if you guess wrong. Personally I'd prefer if it just says "hidden objective will be revealed at ..." instead of "hidden objective 'descriptive name' will be revealed at ...". That way there's less incentive to guess.

I don't think it played a role in this game, and I hope guessing objectives won't play a role in coming games either.

TSR had many guesses with the correct one being one of them. We didn't really act on any of them until we knew for sure. I guess we all make guesses because it's fun, not because it gives us some secret advantage over other teams.

In SGOTM-19, we put together a list of 20+ guesses for what the hidden objective would be. One of our guesses was that every city needed a fully matured cottage (i.e. town). We joked about building a cottage in every city but never actually did it.

For future games, hidden objectives are a nice idea, but the question is if they should be possible to guess. If they are and you can speed up your win by guessing and going for it, then it might lead to games where you have to pick a guess to have a chance to win. This could ruin the game if you guess wrong. Personally I'd prefer if it just says "hidden objective will be revealed at ..." instead of "hidden objective 'descriptive name' will be revealed at ...". That way there's less incentive to guess.

I don't think it played a role in this game, and I hope guessing objectives won't play a role in coming games either.

My suggestion for the next SGOTM wont have any hidden objective that could be guessed.

Can someone confirm the end game scores for teams so far?
Doesn't look like the last save shows up yet, I think TSR and PR are 300k+, MGN 290k+, CGU were 242,723.

Still playing - USX (286,733) and FE (263,128), guessing whipping lots of cities will bring their score down.

kcd_swede said:
Not sure its possible, but if it is, that's a 10t difference that could be the difference between bronze and another 4th place finish.

kcd_swede either thinks our team is still playing, or he's just having trouble reading the graphs. :crazyeye: Hope springs eternal, I guess!

@Deckhand

I saw your post in the FE thread and personally I found it a bit confusing:-

Originally Posted by pigswill
The Wooden Spoon awaits !!

You have to win first.
Quote:
Wooden Spoons will go to team with lowest score.

If you don't meet all objectives, you are ranked below teams that do and it doesn't matter how many you did meet for ranking purposes. Objectives are irrelevant for determining Wooden Spoons, however you must submit a completed game (either you or AI has achieved victory).
(emphasis added)

So they don't have to win, a loss still counts for Wooden Spoon purposes according to the text you quoted??

@NobleZarkon

True.
I was teasing and these don't seem as snarky
Someone has to win first.
You have to submit a save after you or the AI wins.​

@NobleZarkon

True.
I was teasing and these don't seem as snarky
Someone has to win first.
You have to submit a save after you or the AI wins.​
Not as snarky but less fun :lol:

I'm hoping CGU can avoid becoming the first team ever to win the Bronze Laurel and the Wooden Spoon!!

Not as snarky but less fun :lol:

I'm hoping CGU can avoid becoming the first team ever to win the Bronze Laurel and the Wooden Spoon!!

I hope we do. Getting a laurel and Wooden Spoons is a feat. Getting the a Wooden Spoons without a Laurel is a dubious "honor".

I would be OK with both laurels and spoon. Fastest finish and highest score are sometimes a mutual goal and sometimes competing goals. From the moment we decided to do the AP as christian, we guaranteed that we didn't need huge pop or land to win. USX' s AP attempt seems to be in Hindu, which forces them to have many more votes. Besides, I still think AP victory is the most appropriate to the spirit of the game.

I don't know about Bronze, but:

Spoiler :
SGOTM 13 - Napoleon's Revenge

One Short Straw, 670 AD Conquest victory, 91300 points
Players
Dhoomstriker
LowtherCastle
mdy
Mitchum
shyuhe
Advisers
babybluepants