1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 20: Spectators and lurkers ONLY

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by Deckhand, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Looks like because the AP opposition changed in FE game it has reset the AP vote. They are 3% off domination! Or 8-9 turns from AP.

Peter would of been obvious target but he has rifles amd machine guns now. Not sure if barb islands would give them the 3%. The danger they do face is that Peter and Churchill are close 2nd for Ap vote. Could easily change.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yeah bad move to have a vote where there's an opponent! Our Christian AP with the world following Hinduism was much easier to manage!

3. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I can easily see Peter becoming main Ap threat here as he has more cities that are more likely to grow. They could take out those conf barb cities but they would need to raze and resettle to be any use. Plus need more missionaries. Issue with barb cities is the troops are all too far away and no ships. Rifles/cavalry should beat LB.

They could also settle the tao city again.

In theory 8 enters and this could all be over if Ap vote comes up.

They could declare on Peter but not sure how long this forced peace will last.

Guessing they will just finish this off.

4. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

I noticed that they were concerned about a random proposal coming up, but the Resident is the one who selects the proposal. They just had a resident election; I assume they won it (haven't opened their saves). If so, they'll be able to select the victory proposal. The only things that would block it from being an option are the requirements for all civs to have the AP religion and for the proposer to have less than 75% of the total votes.

5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

We definitely gained from Shulec's AP expertise and my own, more limited, experience with it. Yesterday I learned something new - the Religious Leader vote doesn't come up if ANYONE has more than 75% of the votes even if they're not eligible for it! In my game Hatty and I were running Buddhism and the AP was Christian and I was the owner of the AP and the Resident. Hatty would have voted for me but until I got her vote down below 75% the option never came up.

6. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

That's got to be a difficult situation to replicate. If she had that much of the vote, why wasn't she running the AP religion?

I suppose I can see how it would possible if the voting pool were very small.

It doesn't necessarily seem like great planning on your part if you were going into an election with less than 25% of the votes. Maybe you knew all along that you could count on her vote, but I wouldn't trust an AI to not switch religions at the last minute and ruin it for me.

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

They have 64.5% (excluding all AI.) of total vote so 67% should not be an issue here. They have already passed the 75% mark.

I think in theory they could win domination before then. Then create a colony with Tao and barb cities once victory is secure. They do have 42 hours to go. That's less than a turn each 4-5 hours.

I think we all do appreciate their situation here.

8. Noble Zarkon

I had one city :)

9. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

9x enter, too lazy for wars and resettling :]

EDIT

It looks like we are AGAIN not the last on the board and AGAIN only because other team did not met all goals?

Woow :] I am proud :]

10. Noble Zarkon

Well done for gutting it out!

11. Noble Zarkon

For some reason the results page is showing you last which I think is wrong - as you say you met all your objectives and USX didn't.

12. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

That's ordered by date and doesn't take into account objectives. See results thread.

13. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

I think that Fe's opening was strong, but we have had bad RNG on taking Suley's only city and this was probably the reason of a poor game. Along with players dropping oput, me first.

Then, i don't understand all this discussion about AP mechanics. They are very simple and clear, even for me :)

14. Noble Zarkon

You definitely had bad RNG but you also didn't really commit to the war imo, if I remember correctly you had 3 cities at the time and one was building a Granary - 2 Chariots instead and you take the city and the game is very different.

15. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

We made very strong opening, had earliest worker steals as we stole simultanously from Sulei and Cath, but first attack on Sulei was very unlucky. Even though we took him shortly after, so that should not delay us so much.
    Oracle MC -> GreatEngineer --> GLH put us again in strong position, the reason of such a late finish went later and it is not taking at least 1 more civ when it was possible (Pete or Cathy). Late GrandStrategy and not sticking to it thoroughly delayed finish even more. We had eco and cities to fight even three fronts, but we fought always against 1 opponent only

16. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Compared to TSR you probably got to chariot rushing around same date. They faced 1 less defender and probably got better RNG. That 1 failed attack would of set you back many turns. Definately think you needed 1-2 more chariots. Looks like TSR had at least 1 barracks.

17. LincolnOfRome

LincolnOfRome Glutton for Punishment

We had three of the five team members drop out long before the victory conditions were met and discussion was dead. Those remaining had to seriously rush to even finish the game in time. Please don't be too critical.

I had just defeated the Romans and Cathy around 1250. I did fight both simultaneously. I was fighting on four fronts when I left my turn set in 1320 ad:

1) Confucian Island
    2) Taoist Island
    3) Jewish Islands
    4) Moving force toward Napoleon.

I also had all required temples in the process of being built and had missionaries heading toward the last two cities without two religions, as well missionaries with invasion forces. After that, Napoleon was not a soft opponent for Pigswill to fight.

I am not particularly strong with AP victory tactics. There were only three pages of discussion while the two remaining players played fifty turns. Our goal was to finish the game and meet all victory conditions. We were not as efficient as we could have been.

18. Noble Zarkon

Yes - it was a big problem and you did well to get the game finished in time :goodjob: :hatsoff:

19. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Napoleon certainly was tough. War with him was inevitable as he had a shrine city but it was a major grind. Lots of stuff we could have done better, I'm no expert on AP either (or much else it would appear).

20. LincolnOfRome

LincolnOfRome Glutton for Punishment

Four Chariots (Two Combat I) and a Shock Archer should be able to take out an unpromoted archer and warrior at +20 culture. I'm still not sure I would do it differently next time. You do lose 95% attacks one out of every twenty times, but making sure every attack is > 99% is more costly in the long run.