SGOTM 21 - Phoenix Rising

So step by step, agree with selling map for 110g?
It's worth a bit more, but we might get more maps soon anyways and then it's increasing so much chances are high we will never get that value.

Also, agree with whale archer whip?

Yay Cathy met already, and she has wine for clams ;)
Small, 6 cities.

She will not trade maps until friendly, but i could give her meditation for 10g (she has..nothing for techs).
Well okay uploaded first.

Same game with Observatory as with market, all Ox OF useful buildings.
Fits until we get Edu and can prepare the Uni.

Big decision this turn will be if we give Lizzy CS + Paper, trust on that we can attack Lou cos he's not teching something dangerous, and get Philo + Const for Astro.
This would make it possible starting Cats in HF and Clam.
(HF OF + chop, Clam whip at pop 5).
A decision for most likely leaving Lizzy alone, unless she techs Edu.
Lizzy will finish Aest. next turn.

Anyways i agree with Packers and vote yes, Philo is also not safe cos of Angkor Wat.
There should be not much harm in buffing her for this kind of game, it's not like she has many cities we totally need.

We moved page.

Yep go for 110 gold. I don't think we have choice on archer whip. Too many units nearby.

110 gold to upgrade galley to galleon. Seems a bit poor.
Move cara after map trade.
Don't get Mylene started on wine when playing.
Saving market for uni I guess.
At some point the hague will get a border pop. Pretty soon with 4 culture a turn.

What is plan with Fippy? A road towards Surf? Chop more forest for HF? Mines for surf long term might be nice.

Louis use a settler? I'll believe when I see it.

Can we not wait a turn on Aesth or do we need construction now? Yep missed that. Chances of Shaka giving construction for peace? We will be time limited on Bulawayo if we plan to attack it. Wonder what French will tech next. hmmm.

Yeah we may not need Lizzy land to win. Should not be too hard to win lib. Question is could we of got a 7-8k tech from it. Needs must tech wise I guess. No guarantee on Philosophy trade as packers points out.

Yeah might as well do trade. We want philosophy and constr. Would philosophy be a monopoly tech?

Remember units can heal in the galleons when travelling to France.

Yeppers

archer whip sad, but yep

yay, wine! gulp..hic

definitely trade med for gold...get the diplo going
(she only needs 7 techs too)

Can't we still wait a turn or two on Lizzy?

Yeah to selling map and WW whip.

Interesting how each lady founded their own religion.

Cathy's friendly with Mao, so we will get a diplo hit with Cathy if/when we attack him.

Would be interesting to see where Louis sends his settler. To the barb islands or to the islands between him and MM?

Just looking at the over landscape of the map, this was a map all but tailored for the GLH. Even Mao's continent with all its nooks and crannies.

We need Construction for Louis, so yeah we need it now if we want him soon. I guess I was thinking about us teching it. We can't trade for it now though anyways.

If need be we could do two wars at once with Louis and Liz, if Liz should go edu. Would only take a few turns to get a decent stack together for her.

Not stopped, but this topic gets on my nerves ;)
There are significant risks in waiting, like her starting a wonder or one of our positive diplo points fading instead.
Personally i just do not care what techs Lizzy has (unless she techs something good for us, Nationalism becomes possible..rare but who knows).
I will make 3 crucifixes when it's over.

Well, let's give her the techs then. I guess there really is no waffling on it. We either do it now or we keeeeel her

(I wasn't really ever against it by the way...was just hoping another option for CS presented itself as I'd prefer she not have it yet. If we have no plans to attack her at anytime soon then it's probably irrelevant anyway.)

I"m out for the night

I saw no harm giving her the techs. She would still need edu for lib and may decide to tech something else for us.

You want to Crucify us ? I know these games can be cut throat but I must object. Unless you pick the other 3. *whistles*

We already had +1 from tech discovery. Was this meant to go to +2. We could still switch religion. Hmmmm.

Utrecht was not too bad. We were bound to lose some combats. Least we took it. We have had more good luck than bad this game. It may be that you have to wait a turn on lizzy.

Well it's screwed up, no extra diplo point for giving her both.
At least we know this now i guess..and i have no idea why.

Annoys me, on several tests both worked (-1 from QIdC trade fading and giving 14 techs for +2).
Here both did not work.
Me too, nites and sorry for my bad mood with this topic. So much bad luck with rng, first Utrecht now this.

P.S. 3 crucifixes = probably wrong translation in english..here we say "3 Kreuze machen" for being glad when a topic that went on forever ends.
3 crosses probably translates better too, if any of those words fits.
Has nothing to do with you guys..sometimes it's difficult saying everything correct in english so nobody takes offense.
I seem to be very good in saying the wrong things here.

Sigh too many days end like this in sgotm games.

I am writing this a bit heavy hearted, but also a bit glad.
I will quit civ4 and probably some other games too, yep including this here sorry.

More drama..?
Nopes not really, unless personal and deep going drama counts ;)
I was addicted to computer gaming for too long now, today finally after lying awake at 4 in the night, thinking about a game i realized: My you must stop.
You are missing too much life..

You might know from personal experience, once you realize such thoughts, it's over and you cannot go back without doubting yourself.
Like anonymous alcoholics maybe, if that's the right word.

I enjoyed playing with you all, most of those little dramas were unimportant and surely resulted from me simply being addicted.
I wish you best of luck if you bring this game to an end.
But for me..this unhealthy journey must stop. I am sure it will be as difficult as stopping smoking, but i will try my best.

I post this not easy confession open, maybe as a warning or help for others who feel similar.
But also so that i finally admit.
Cheer PR guys and cheer BSP & the team, you are awesome.

Removed out of respect.

Well, let's not put any pressure on My. This sounds like a personal decision/choice based on her well being, which is very understandable. I know we all very much would like her to change her mind, but real-life and health are always more important. It's just a game.

I'd recommend, regardless, that we take a few days off here and unwind. In the meantime, we can exchange PMs as a team to discuss the fate/decision about this game. This game is going great, but I think we all know that My is the spirit and heart of this team. She's the one that's awesome ;)

I think maybe a few days rest before final decision on if team continues here. We have come so far too. Shame.

I would be sad if we lost a friendly and skillful player. But if you are unable to play civ in moderation it might be a good idea to quit.

On the other hand, you could try to set some limits for yourself and stick to them. Like maybe 7 hours a week. And when that's used up you don't log in until the next week. I personally think that's the stronger move. Because it's not avoiding but controlling the problem. Some people tend to jump from one addictive behavior to the next, which doesn't help.

Again, if you feel the need to quit because the game makes you sick: Do it. But if you are just a little burned out you might take a break and come back later at 50%, with no stress :)

Had a feeling i did not clarify my problem enuf, so here goes.
Esp. when looking at your thoughts Gumbo.

It's not only about Civ4 and this game, or "pressure" from being the heart of this team like Lymo wrote. It's a serious gaming and internet addicition, which has negative effects on other parts of my life. Since you asked Gumbo..i work on the computer as well, i make my share of money no worries there.

@BSP thanks for your kind words, but it's not only Civ in moderation.
@Lymo yep you are close, but it's not really about pressure

If it's a "shame" quitting like this..i am at a point where i will prefer hanging my head in shame then, compared with digging myself further into this hole.
But i will also say that if without 1 player in RL trouble, PR cannot continue then it never was right anyways. and then there was indeed too much centered around me.
You guys could do it if you want, i cannot anymore for me it's about not touching this "drug" again now.

Mylene we all fully understand. You have been an amazing player for PR over the 6-7 SGOTM you have joined us. Your health and real life is far more important than a computer game.

It has been a pleasure playing with you on team Phoenix Rising.

The rest of the team will probably make the decision to continue away from this thread.

We will post our decision here later and let AlanH and BSP know by PM.

Good luck to all of you in working through this issue, I do hope you can find a way to continue as a team.

Special thoughts go to Mylene. Do what is right for your health and sanity.

AlanH

We have discussed this via email as a team. I don't think there is a way forward with this team. Please withdraw us from this game.

If anyone wants to play out our game for fun then feel free to do so once AlanH officially withdraws us. Please do not view other threads or saves till this is confirmed.

Remember we can't post in other threads till the other teams have finished their games.

Thanks for all the years of fun you have all bought to this team. It's been amazing working with so many brilliant players.

Okay, i think you made the right decision. All civ games are most fun during the building phase and while things are still unknown. With only 4 players, grinding this one out now..very difficult.
Maybe the old saying goes for our team, we stopped while it was fun.
Thanks again everybody for your support.

Hit nail on head Mylene. No way to finish this with level and micro we have done to date. This game still requires a lot of work to finish and real lives just don't permit time and effort required.

Will be fun to see how we compare once Alan withdraws us.

Top Bottom