1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 21 - Plastic Ducks

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

So you want Construction first then?
    Followed by Music?

2. Yamps

Yamps Chieftain

That would take us too much time. We'll surely get iron within our borders.

3. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Spoiler :
    William's 3rd city is probably east of his capital, from the culture graph, we can only see his capital.

You mean West, right? :D
    And thanks for screenshots.

Splendid. We have at least something to fight with, if need be.

Regarding availabilty:

My daughter is still ill and constantly at home and I can't dismantle my computer with her being a kid and taking everything and with me being a computer repairing noob.
    But, my wife could let me install civ on her laptop again when it comes back from repair.

4. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I totally agree with this point. Extra GArt also saves us at least a 1-2 T in a big picture. You have to get all those late GPs for GAge in time and of right type.

5. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

With Mansa in game and the menace from Shaka, I slightly prefer this route.

Find a video and follow, it's not hard to do the lubrication of video card. Took me about less an hour when I did it in the 1st time.

6. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Qualifies for famous last words. :D
    I am telling you about evilness of our mapmakers since beginning. Tricking us into too early task buying, hiding Mansa, no copper already. I want this option to be in the back of everyone's head at least. Yes, it's a gamble, but not so big one.

Regarding exploring WB, I'd like it to go 1NW (that is upper left :)). We could see if copper is on an island or not. Also, like in any other game. there is always a chance to get stuck in ice if we follow the bottom path.

I have done thermal paste changing in a laptop, changed monitors in a laptop, and that is a real pain. This is a piece of cake for this, yes, but this card was a top tier and has complex cooling and I don't have a backup, and is still working so I am gambling between having all performance and no performance at all (and a computer with it). Also, I prefer not getting my tools taken while I am working and I refrain from physical punishment.:twitch:

7. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

It's unlikely an island, Mansa has 5 cities already, those cities should be on the same continent. The copper site is great, but settling it is very costly as well. Not only the risk, the maintenance of the city itself is high, plus we have to send our only galley away for long time, which is going to delay the settlement of the Fish/whale site. TC is not appealing for me since Astronomy is still a high priority for us to conquer other continents. I'd be much interested if there's a Marble.

8. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

Do we have a clear majority of Construction? We don't need to hurry it at the moment. The major part is the overflow from Masonry last turn. Other than that, we could set the slider at 0% for the next few turns since capital won't be able to work on the Fur tile. Construction is not in a hurry before T80.

9. Doshin

Doshin jolly yellow giant

It looks to me like Shaka will overrun Willem's most recent city and then stall attacking Amsterdam. Willem has Masonry, so his capital can receive Walls. In any case: I'm fine with putting the OF into Construction until the scouting Warrior reveals more about the map.

FWIW, a :backstab: against Willem would make for a more attractive war now. The Deer and Gems spot will also be very strong after Willem's culture is cleared out. The main difficulty is producing some Workers and a gift city to allow us to discover the remaining hints.

Whether the Copper is on an island could be determined by looking at the zoomed out culture, and manipulating the camera (change the field of view to about 90%, zoom in as far as possible, hold shift and rotate the camera left or right. This is usually good for revealing mountains 2 tiles away). But it looks reeeeaaally far. Our Work Boat has been exploring for a long time. If necessary, Chariots and Archers can accompany a Catapult stack. We could also trade for Copper, if an AI obliges.

-----

I'm not convinced about the use of the Music Great Artist, but I do think we will want him. :D OFC, using the first Golden Age to switch into civics and a religion can be worthwhile, but there are drawbacks to running a GA when an empire is so small... above all, starting a Golden Age without the MoM. :sad:

10. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

City gift to Willem on sheep peninsula is alright. +4-5 relation will compensate peace and declaration.

11. Doshin

Yep, I agree. But producing a Settler is still expensive (2 Catapults) and will slow our attack.

We'd also need to gift the city before he settles another one of his own. If he reaches 4 cities, we'll need to test what Tundra sites he'll accept, if any.

12. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

If you want to do Construction first I'd be fine with it.
    I was for Construction before other team members talked me into Code of Laws.

13. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

Done Playing

Log

Spoiler :

Turn 65, 1400 BC: You have constructed a Granary in Athens. Work has now begun on a Work Boat.
    Turn 65, 1400 BC: Shaka has declared war on Willem van Oranje!

Turn 68, 1280 BC: You have discovered Masonry!
    Turn 68, 1280 BC: The borders of Argos have expanded!

Turn 70, 1200 BC: The Great Wall has been built in a far away land!

Turn 71, 1160 BC: Athens has grown to size 5.
    Turn 71, 1160 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Athens.
    Turn 71, 1160 BC: Willem van Oranje converts to Judaism!
    Turn 71, 1160 BC: Mansa Musa has founded Niani in a distant land.

Turn 72, 1120 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Athens.
    Turn 72, 1120 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Corinth.
    Turn 72, 1120 BC: Athens will grow to size 6 on the next turn.
    Turn 72, 1120 BC: Argos will grow to size 2 on the next turn.
    Turn 72, 1120 BC: Isabella has founded Cordoba in a distant land.
    Turn 72, 1120 BC: Confucianism has been founded in a distant land!
    Turn 72, 1120 BC: Utrecht (Willem van Oranje) has been captured by the Zulu Empire!!!

Turn 73, 1080 BC: Athens has grown to size 6.
    Turn 73, 1080 BC: Athens can hurry The Great Lighthouse for 3⇴ with 10ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 18 turns.
    Turn 73, 1080 BC: Corinth can hurry Granary for 1⇴ with 30ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 25 turns.
    Turn 73, 1080 BC: Thebes can hurry Granary for 1⇴ with 2ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 11 turns.
    Turn 73, 1080 BC: Argos has grown to size 2.
    Turn 73, 1080 BC: Mansa Musa will trade Pig
    Turn 73, 1080 BC: Elizabeth will trade Fish

T70 Shaka's SOD moved toward William's capital

Spoiler :

T72 William's capital barely survived

Spoiler :

T73 I would not believe this:eek: Note the yellow culture.

Spoiler :

Resource trade

Spoiler :

NW exploration

Spoiler :

Confu was gone on 1120BC

Spoiler :

GLH was gone as well:cry:

Spoiler :

1080BC:mischief:;):D

14. Duckweed

Duckweed Chieftain

I make judgement based on the known information, then adapt to new acquired information to adjust the strategies.

New test game uploaded. Next player please.:)

15. Doshin

:lol:

Well that was interesting.

16. Doshin

I had a quick look at the save. Good work. :goodjob:

The GLH looks more and more important for this map, given that overseas trade routes are available with at least three AI before Astronomy.

Could you take us to City #6, Duckweed? I think you have tested that far, and the next player can then immediately focus upon the next phase (beginning war preparation? :hammer:). That will make their testing much easier.

On the topic of City #6: I also wonder whether we should change our settling plans:

Spoiler :

The Deer is already improved, so we'd just need one Worker to set up the city. Whenever Amsterdam falls (whether to Shaka or to us) we'd gain access to another Gems. Moreover, the site has 5 Forests that can be used to chop out an army.

This will mean that we share borders with Shaka. But will he ever make peace with Willem, now that he's captured a city? We should be safe until Willem loses his last two cities, at which point we should be ready to attack.

I think it will be too late to claim the site with City #7. Utrecht is Jewish, so the city will pop borders 10 turns after it leaves revolt.

The Forests in Gem/Deer and Corn should be good for chopping an army.

If we want to get really fancy, the tile 1W of my marked spot could also receive a Fort and let us attack (or reinforce a stack bombarding) Amsterdam very quickly. This would be very hard on Worker turns and would be a long way in the future, so isn't worth testing now.

17. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Gifting a city was also in context of his survival. Willem will not survive producing Chariots against Impi. I can't find table with hint cost quickly but that table cost x3 is too expensive compared to one settler if we intend to buy all the hints anytime before the very end of the game. Willem has to survive until hints are bought. Then, we take his city and get some gold in the process and hopefully a granary.

18. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Goodjob, Duckweed!

We can't hold that city you proposed should Shaka attack us, which is probable with high survival rate of his troops. I think that Willem is dead meat, probably producing something irrelevant in Amsterdam like Moai or Cnariot.

I'd rather gift city to Willem here:

Spoiler :

That'd give him 3 Archers on a hill. That's buy us some time against Shaka. We don't have a metal yet. I regard Willlem's city as our own city because of discount it gives to hints. We can feed him with Archers if need be without directly declaring on Shaka, making him position his troops against gift city and prepare SoD meanwhile which will meet lesser resistance from Shaka once we declare on Amsterdam and then Utrecht.

I am starting to get paranoid regarding metal and am thinking with worst case scenario in my mind, especially now that Shaka will have level 3 units instead of dead units. He is annoyed and will have troops to declare immediately.

Can anyone tell me something to make me think that my idea is too much except that we must have Iron in our borders.

19. BSPollux

BSPollux Chieftain

Spoiler :

20. Yamps

Yamps Chieftain

Nah, catapults are strength 5 units. We could easily hold our position and push on to grab some key metal city from Shaka using archers and cats. I'm not at all bothered even in the event of no iron. ;)

And great work Duckweed! Btw, you had me going there with the GLH cry, phew. :)