SGOTM 21 Pregame Discussion Thread - Conquering the Hearts

Any chance you'd entertain a suggestion to call them women instead of girls?
Oh... sure, maybe we should be more respectful. Sorry, I/we didn't intend to be unfriendly. I thought I used 'leaders' most of the time, and just wanted to switch the words between sentences. I'll edit my posts and be more careful in the future.

Any chance you'd entertain a suggestion to call them women instead of girls?

Royalty should always be adressed as "Your Highness" or "Your Majesty". The Royal Highnesses deserve some respect. Remember, we won't win many hearts by adressing them as--- um, disrespectfully. (self censorship on this one, bigtime);)

So how do we pay the 100 gold. I assume we gift the leader 100 gold??

Same for workers. How do we pay 2 workers? Do we manually delete them? Does the admin delete them? Do we have to gift them to an AI?

Need some clear direction on this. Could get confusing.

So how do we pay the 100 gold. I assume we gift the leader 100 gold??

Same for workers. How do we pay 2 workers? Do we manually delete them? Does the admin delete them? Do we have to gift them to an AI?

Need some clear direction on this. Could get confusing.
Yes, gift the leader 100 gold (per information item being purchased).
Move workers into his capital and gift them.
Post before and after screenshots in your thread.
Upload before and after saves to the server.

We thought about doing payment for you. But it's annoying for you to wait for us to do it and its overly complicated.

Just a curiosity, since i have some modding experience: all the to-be-revealed objectives, payments and such are scripted? Or are they revealed by the game designers once we submit a save where they can see we gave gold/workers to Wilhelm or others?

Then. a clarification about this game rules:
- we'll have 3 objectives for each of the 3 Queens (plus one to help us find them)
- to be eligible for the laurels we need to complete at least one of them for each Queen, correct?
- if one of them is wiped before we complete any of the 3 objectives related to her, the objective(s) remains valid, i presume.

Just a curiosity, since i have some modding experience: all the to-be-revealed objectives, payments and such are scripted? Or are they revealed by the game designers once we submit a save where they can see we gave gold/workers to Wilhelm or others?
No mod and no scripts, we do it manually just as you guessed.
Then. a clarification about this game rules:
- we'll have 3 objectives for each of the 3 Queens (plus one to help us find them)
- to be eligible for the laurels we need to complete at least one of them for each Queen, correct?
Correct. Just one bit of nitpicking: We said we would decide the winner in two steps, number of 'hearts won' first, then finish date. So you could, theoretically, win laurels with less than three fulfilled tasks, if the other teams fail some as well.
- if one of them is wiped before we complete any of the 3 objectives related to her, the objective(s) remains valid, i presume.
If a leader dies you can not fulfill the tasks related to her anymore. If you already finished a task, it stays valid.

But then we could pay before Currency.
You're adding the requirement that we have Currency first.
You can gift the pair of workers without currency.

And you should expect to tech beyond horseback riding this game. ;)

You can gift the pair of workers without currency.

But getting my team to give up a worker is like playing darts with spaghetti. :rolleyes: They'll give up a worker when I get a bullseye.

I just wanted to be sure you realized the need for currency, cus it seems that's not what you intended.

Is there any rule about not declaring on Willem? Or taking Willem as a Vassel before all tasks have been asked about? We just can't beg??

Is there any restriction on trading techs with Willem for gold?

If the game is likely to last a bit lomnger this game why is Currency such an issue. Unless you assume all tasks could be completed by 1ad which i doubt.

I just wanted to be sure you realized the need for currency, cus it seems that's not what you intended.
This is very well intended. It's your choice if you want to go for currency more quickly or not. I think you might be underestimating us a little bit if you think we didn't realize you need currency.

Is there any rule about not declaring on Willem? Or taking Willem as a Vassel before all tasks have been asked about? We just can't beg??
You may declare war on anyone, anytime. Your choice. If you kill a female you can't fulfill tasks for her afterwards, if you kill Willem the info will be more expensive. If you manage to turn Willem into a vassal that's fine, but I highly doubt it, because "no vassal states"is activated.
Is there any restriction on trading techs with Willem for gold?
Nope.
If the game is likely to last a bit lomnger this game why is Currency such an issue. Unless you assume all tasks could be completed by 1ad which i doubt.
Guess that was directed at WastinTime.

No mod and no scripts, we do it manually just as you guessed.
How does the thing works? Do we submit saves as usual along with a PM and you can verify the save or is it more complicated?
Just one bit of nitpicking: We said we would decide the winner in two steps, number of 'hearts won' first, then finish date. So you could, theoretically, win laurels with less than three fulfilled tasks, if the other teams fail some as well.If a leader dies you can not fulfill the tasks related to her anymore. If you already finished a task, it stays valid.
This is not stated clearly - at least for me - in the game description.

If i got it, a team with all the 9 objectives completed and a finish date say, 1900 AD, will win over a team with 8 objectives completed and a finish date say, 500 AD?

If that's correct, i don't think it's... correct. It would be better to give a weight, like 10 (or 5, 30, 82) turns discount for each objective. Or give X turns for the first, X+Y for the second and X+Y+Z for the third.

Then, 2 workers in the pre-currency stage are a huge price compared to 100g you can pay say, after paper. Maybe you need to think again that mechanic.

How does the thing works? Do we submit saves as usual along with a PM and you can verify the save or is it more complicated?This is not stated clearly - at least for me - in the game description.

If i got it, a team with all the 9 objectives completed and a finish date say, 1900 AD, will win over a team with 8 objectives completed and a finish date say, 500 AD?

If that's correct, i don't think it's... correct. It would be better to give a weight, like 10 (or 5, 30, 82) turns discount for each objective. Or give X turns for the first, X+Y for the second and X+Y+Z for the third.

Then, 2 workers in the pre-currency stage are a huge price compared to 100g you can pay say, after paper. Maybe you need to think again that mechanic.

Most of these questions are answered in Deckhands post at the top of page1 of this thread:

Transaction Documentation and Discussion
For both purchases from Willem and gifts to the Ladies:
Post before and after screenshots in your team thread.
Post before and after saves to the server.
Let Deckhand and BSPollux know by PM (or wait for them to notice your posts in your team thread).

Deckhand and/or BSPollux will post information purchased from Willem in your team threads. They will also answer any related questions in your threads. Let us know by PM if you have a question.

Laurels & Awards
Teams will be ranked first by number of hearts won, then by date.
Gold, Silver, and Bronze Laurels go top three teams.
Wooden Spoons will go to team with lowest score.
To be eligible for any reward, you must submit a save on the turn after you achieve victory.
Winning Hearts
You need to fulfill only one task for each ruler.
You can only fulfill a task you know of. If you buy info and realize you already finished a task it won't count. If you are 'half way done' but the last piece is still missing that's OK, as long as you know about the task when you finish it. Example: The task demands you do A, B and C. You already did A and B when you learn about it. Doing C now will count as successfully ending that task.

Fulfilling more than one task for a female leader doesn't count as fulfilling another objective. As I said each leader has at least one task that can always be fulfilled and can't be blocked. So the winning team should have all three. Just in the unlikely case you stumble into a victory or you let the woman die or something like that you will be behind everyone who fulfilled a task for each of them.

And the two workers: If you don't like it, don't do it. It's nothing but an offer and each team may decide if they want to take it or not. If it's a clear and obvious decision, than all teams will do the same. If its unclear, than those teams that are able to make the right decision will have an advantage, and that's great. And maybe it depends on the playing style of the team. But this is a strategy discussion and you shouldn't have it here but in your team thread once its open. I'm curious to read it!

Sorry to :deadhorse:
But I'm not sure I'm getting my point across.

I know were not likely to finish the game before currency so --in the case that currency is required -- we will have ample opportunity to purchase our hints...eventually

However, the game designers were discussing the burden of manually taking 100 gold vs post-currency gifts. I wasn't sure they realized the impact this has on the game. Some teams might not get (or might not want) Currency for the first 100 turns of the game! Not saying anythings wrong with making Currency a pre-requisite, but it seemed to me that it was not going to be required in the "manual 100 gold removal" setup. I thought they'd want to allow teams to buy info earlier than that (without worker gifts.)

Sorry again :deadhorse:

:deadhorse: Let me ad an opinion too:

As someone pointed out, 100g late in the game is not as big a deal. Money is laying around everywhere after currency. Seems to me that the game will be more interesting to have the option to spend money early. Teams can debate whether they should slow research a bit (or earn money some way) to get early info. Post currency doesn't seem as exciting to me.
My 2 cents.

However, the game designers were discussing the burden of manually taking 100 gold vs post-currency gifts.

Errrrr.... no? I think there's a misunderstanding here. I think you are referring to this line:
We thought about doing payment for you. But it's annoying for you to wait for us to do it and its overly complicated.
And you are reading it as: "We would take your save, open the worldbuilder, remove 100 gold, and give it back." But we never said anything like that. We said "We do the payment." So we would open the diplomacy screen with Willem, gift the 100g, save, and return the new save. Just to make sure you actually do the payment correctly. And we decided against that and we now just want you to provide a save before and one afterwards, so we can see the change.

No one ever suggested to allow payments pre-currency. This discussion has never existed. As I said before, currency is very well part of the plan. You decide when to get it. And btw there are few teams that would allow 1000g to pile up unused. No matter what time (maybe besides right before finish).

Errrrr.... no? I think there's a misunderstanding here. I think you are referring to this line: And you are reading it as: "We would take your save, open the worldbuilder, remove 100 gold, and give it back." But we never said anything like that. We said "We do the payment." So we would open the diplomacy screen with Willem, gift the 100g, save, and return the new save. Just to make sure you actually do the payment correctly. And we decided against that and we now just want you to provide a save before and one afterwards, so we can see the change.

No one ever suggested to allow payments pre-currency. This discussion has never existed. As I said before, currency is very well part of the plan. You decide when to get it. And btw there are few teams that would allow 1000g to pile up unused. No matter what time (maybe besides right before finish).

Got it!
For the record, I'm not alone. Others on my team thought you were contemplating pre-currency gifts too.
edit: unless I misunderstood them too. :blush:

Top Bottom