SGOTM 21 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jan 9, 2015.

1. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

So Leif, looks like the mega storm never happened... is that about right?

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Didn't happen in New York as the storm tracked east out to sea 50 to 75 miles further than they predicted. However, Long Island got plastered pretty good and we got about 30-inches of snow with wind gusts to about 60 MPH.

We cleaned up today and it took us about 3 hours to get out of the driveway. :faint:

Here is a local news report of some of the damage.

3. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Deity GOTM Staff

Glad you didn't have any really serious problems. I trust the rock is still there.

4. leif erikson

5. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

I propose that we keep the game a bit more entertaining by pushing the real game forward 1 turn. Also, this task of Science Rates is too big for us to really bite off, especially since we don't know which techs the AIs in the real game know... apparently, it does matter... by a LOT!

See the Charts below:

2 AIs know The Wheel and 2 AIs know Pottery
    T33 45 / 97
    T34 69 / 97
    T35 93 / 97
    T36 26 / 130
    T37 61 / 130

2 AIs know The Wheel and 1 AI knows Pottery
    T33 45 / 97
    T34 69 / 97
    T35 93 / 97
    T36 25 / 130
    T37 59 / 130

2 AIs know The Wheel and 0 AIs knows Pottery
    T33 45 / 97
    T34 69 / 97
    T35 93 / 97
    T36 25 / 130
    T37 58 / 130

1 AI knows The Wheel and 1 AI knows Pottery
    T33 45 / 97
    T34 68 / 97
    T35 91 / 97
    T36 22 / 130
    T37 56 / 130

1 AI knows The Wheel and 0 AIs knows Pottery
    T33 45 / 97
    T34 68 / 97
    T35 91 / 97
    T36 22 / 130
    T37 55 / 130

0 AIs know The Wheel and 0 AIs know Pottery
    T33 45 / 97
    T34 68 / 97
    T35 91 / 97
    T36 23 / 130
    T37 56 / 130

That's a possible swing of up to 6 Flasks over the course of 4 turns! So, let's play forward a turn to find out how many Flasks we end up earning, to narrow down some of the possibilities.

Besides, I can't see a better option than 100% on The Wheel on T33:
    i. We want the bonus Flask by being at 100% if 2 AIs know The Wheel
    ii. If only 1 AI knows The Wheel, I don't see a way to avoid losing a Flask when we complete research on The Wheel
    iii. If 0 AIs know The Wheel, we'll want to learn it as quickly as possible before one of the AIs learns it and thereby loses us a Flask

Phoenix Rising seems to be steadily pumping out the turnsets; if we can slowly move the game forward more frequently with well-tested mini-turnsets, I think that we'll keep more people engaged. It is supposed to be fun for everyone on the team, after all. :cool:

Suggested PPP (for neilmeister to play) (EDIT: neilmeister has handed off the game, so that makes me the Active Player)
    t33
    C1: Switch GH Riv Mine -> G Riv Farm
    C1: Deer + Crab + G Riv Farm
    C2: Wheat + Gems
    W3: moves 2S to GHF (2S of Cap)
    Scout: moves 1S to GH Riv For

t34
    C1: Warrior out & starts WB (Fortify Warrior in Cap)
    W1: chop riverside gems
    W2: move to riverside gems
    W3: mines GHF (2S of Cap)
    Leave Warriors + Scout unmoved (to give teammates a chance to get back in on the fun by providing input on those units' moves for the next mini-turnset)

You might also want to rename our Workers to match what we've been calling them, as right now Worker 2's Name is just "Worker" and Worker 3's Name is "Worker 2 (X-opolis)." Click on a unit's Name to get a dialogue box that lets you change its Name.

6. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

Jokes aside, it's not my decision how you play your game. But keeping the game moving at least a few turns every few days seems like a good idea. Not for the lurkers (even though it's true that I love to read turnset reports), but because "perfect result" doesn't always mean "most fun". On the other hand: From memory I'd say you're not the slowest team right now, so you are not really overdoing the planning.

7. Dhoomstriker

I don't have a whole lot of time to play long turnsets, but I could be available for a series of short turnsets (a couple of turns at a time) whenever neilmeister is ready to hand off. Now that we've decided upon our medium-term goals, I wouldn't mind slowly but steadily pushing the game forward.

8. leif erikson

9. neilmeister

Sorry, I got smashed at work.

Agreed we need to just keep going, and striving for the perfect game is just going to completely kill the fun.

I am happy to hand off, I thought I might have already.

10. Dhoomstriker

All right, I'll try to pump out the short turnset from Message 225 sometime over the next couple of hours. I'll edit the turnset report into this message.

Turnset Report

T33, 2680 BC

X King: What word is there of our mighty Greek Empire?

Military Advisor: Sire, we have the fiercest Warriors in the land. In fact, we are about to complete our third regiment, to be known by the most fearsome of titles, Warrior 3, by the end of this year!

Science Advisor: Technically, don't you mean sometime over the next 40 years?

Head of Intelligence: I believe that he was speaking thus for dramatic effect. If you insist, we could invent a new term to represent the period in which we will make our decisions, say, call it "a turn," and then we can refer to the interim period between decisions when our desires are executed as "the time before the next turn," or similar such wording. But, I listen for the meaning behind people's words, and if he wants to speak as though his team will cobble together the unlikeliest group of youngsters by the end of this year and then spend 39 years on training and discipline to turn them into the bravest and fiercest of warriors who work together as a team, then I will take no issue with his phrasology.

Science Advisor: But, but, hey, did you just make up a big word at the end there to throw me off?

X King: What of our rivals?

Military Advisor: (Continuing, oblivious to the political intrigue going on around him.) The Zulus are an Aggresive and Expansive civilization, and they are bragging about their ability to use strings to launch sticks into the air with what they call Archers.

Head of Intelligence: Willem, of course, is too sly to let slip what forces are amongst his military ranks, but our agents believe that his nation's forces must be made up of the same type of units.

Warrior 1: The Zulu Scout who has just arrived on our doorstep is helping us to spawn-bust, so we are quite happy to stay atop our GH Riv Gems square for a turn, to keep an eye on those Grassland Cows for our brothers in Warrior 2 division, to ensure their safety in pushing our spawn-busting line outward next turn.

Scout: For the sake of practice, I will make use of both of my movement points, in this case, moving 1E to the G Riv (1S of where the Lion is stationed), to give us more info on the surrounding squares, before moving 1SW to the GH Riv For. In this case, I would have uncovered the same information by moving directly southward, since I am moving to a Hills square, but I will attempt keep exercising my speedy running ability, when appropriate.

Spoiler :

X King: What of our people?

Domestic Advisor: With the recent move of Mining Inc from our capital of X-opolis to the nearby City of Gems, along, too, went many of the Mining jobs. Thus, those citizens who were working the Mines to help pump out a couple of Workers will now turn their hands to the plough, working the fields to increase the rate at which our capital's population can expand.

Spoiler :

X King: Very good. Science?

Science Advisor: Let us stick to 100% on The Wheel and attempt to discover whether our rivals also know these secrets.

T34, 2640 BC

Science Advisor: Unfortunately, I bring bad news. Having earned only 68 Flasks in The Wheel ourselves, our projections were overzealous and it appears that at most one of our rivals has learned the secrets of The Wheel. Perhaps neither of them has. Of course, this fact means that at most one of our rivals has learned the secrets of Pottery.

Foreign Advisor: Do not give up hope! The Expansive Shaka may have beelined Pottery for his cheap Granaries, especially given his being in Tribalism and not Slavery, despite how Bronze Working would help to unlock his Aggressive Axes and Impis. In fact, Willem is also running Tribalism, but with our early opening of Bronze Working, the others are likely to follow suit soon enough, as our rivals seem to have an inherent favouritism toward copying their neighbours' technological advantages.

Military Advisor: With the formation of the elite Warrior 3, we now suggest that a Work Boat be produced to feed the future people of City 3.

Spoiler :

X King: Field reports!

Scout: The Lion has progressed westward, temporarily reducing my spawn-busting effectiveness to zero. At best, I could move 1NE G Riv, 1E P Riv, to temporarily spawn-bust one additional Plains square in the east (NE + E of where I'd end up).

Warrior 1: We should probably head 1NW to the next GH For, now that we have made certain that the path for Warrior 2 is safe. Note that Shaka's Scout is a veteran of the fields, already having earned at least 5 XP to promote to Combat II.

Warrior 2: As per the original plan, we see no reason not to move 1W to the location at Cow-1E, to begin building Fortifications for our future City 3. A fast 20% Cultural Defensive bonus plus 25% Fortification added to our 25% City Defence against Barbarians will earn us 2 * ( 1 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.20 ) = 2 * 1.7 = 3.4 Strength while defending City 3 after its Cultural Borders expand. Of course, plans change, and if Shaka's Scout can provide us with sufficient cover, it may be worth it for us to push out even further westward on future turns.

Spoiler :

X King: Is there any other news to report?

Foreign Advisor: Indeed, it seems that Willem has been a bit of a meanie to Shaka and Shaka remembers Willem's bad deeds. We must keep an eye on this relationship, in case it dips into Worst Enemy territory, at which point we may need to choose our Open Borders partners with great care, to avoid having to turn down requests from Shaka to "Stop Trading with my Worst Enemy" and thereby inciting his wrath.

Spoiler :

Head of Intelligence: Here are some pretty slides. Make of them what you will. Of note is the fact that at the start of T33, Willem's Food and Hammers had just increased, while his GNP had just decreased. Several possibilities could account for such a fact, but it is rare to see a +3 H production increase while simultaneously seeing a +1 Food increase without there having been a population growth in his capital, which would thereby indicate that he was not building a Settler or a Worker at that time. But, graph-reading can be a fickle mistress and one should not take its interpretations as literal fact.

Spoiler :

Cultural Advisor: The Cultural Borders of Gems have expanded, keeping our Workers safe from predatory Lions.

Spoiler :
    Here is your Session Turn Log from 2680 BC to 2640 BC:

Turn 33, 2680 BC: Gems has grown to size 2.
    Turn 33, 2680 BC: Gems can hurry Work Boat for 1⇴ with 12ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
    Turn 33, 2680 BC: The borders of Gems are about to expand.
    Turn 33, 2680 BC: The borders of Gems are about to expand.
    Turn 33, 2680 BC: The borders of Gems have expanded!

X King: And so ends another day. Back to the planning board before the next round will begin. All input and feedback at this point will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

11. Dhoomstriker

The Next Turnset
    I have updated the test game to match the real game. In particular, the units are in the same locations as in the real game. In the test game, at least for now, only one of the AIs has The Wheel (although it could get learned within the span of 1 turn if Willem decides to research it).

So, we can probably play out Message 212 to determine when we would like to run a non-100% Science Slider. Other than that detail, I think that we have most of the micro laid out in that message and in the following few messages.

Thus, allow me to plagiarise as much as possible and thereby post the next PPP:

PPP
    Science rates to be determined either shortly before playing or with help from someone else.

t34
    Science rate = 0%
    Scout: 1NE G Riv, 1E P Riv, to temporarily spawn-bust one additional Plains square to the NE + E of there Probably just stay in place, since the Lion disappears in the test game at the end of this turn and we can watch what happens to him from our current location
    Warrior 1: head 1NW to the next GH For
    Warrior 2: move 1W to the Grassland at Cow-1E

t35
    Science rate = 100%
    C1: G Riv Farm -> Wheat
    C2: Wheat -> G Riv Farm
    C1: Deer + Crab + Wheat
    C2: G Riv Farm + Gems
    W1: chop riverside gems
    W2: chop riverside gems
    W3: Mine GH For (2S of Cap)

t36
    C1: Wheat -> G Riv Farm; new citizen works Fur
    C2: G Riv Farm -> Wheat
    C1: Pop 4, Deer + Crab + G Riv Farm + Fur
    C2: Wheat + Gems, WB out & starts warrior
    W1 & W2: mine riverside gems

t37
    C1: Fur -> Wheat
    C2: Wheat -> G Riv Gems Mine
    C1: Deer + Crab + Wheat + G Riv Farm
    C2: 2 Gems
    W1 & W2: mine riverside gems, thereby completing the Mine

t38
    C1: Deer + Crab + Wheat + GH Riv Mine
    C2: Pop 3, 2 Gems + G Riv Farm
    W1 & W2: move 1E & farm

t39
    C1: Add the Fur
    C1: Pop 5, Deer + Crab + Wheat + Fur + GH Riv Mine
    C2: 2 Gems + G Riv Farm
    C2: Switch from Warrior to Barracks to avoid completing Warrior 4 (unless the Barbs are getting nasty, in which case we'll obviously complete Warrior 4)
    W1: partially Farm the G Riv (Gems City-2N) and STOP*
    W2: Farm the G Riv (Gems City-2N)

* I'm explicitly saying STOP for the Worker here, to make it easier to keep track of which Worker will perform which actions on future turns, since either one of the Workers could end up completing the Farm, otherwise, and thereby potentially confusing the Active Player on future turns. Although, to be honest, I'll probably stop all Worker actions before the start of each new turn, to give us extra flexibility and to avoid the chance of someone's game accidentally performing irreversible Worker actions if someone else looks at an uploaded saved game.

I'll probably stop play partway through this PPP just to see whether an AI knows Pottery and whether that fact will require us to adjust our Science Sliders at all.

Obviously, if the Barbs get scarily hairy, I'll stop play, too, but if they aren't too bad, I'll just hope for someone to be around to provide some active comments on what to do about any Barbs that we encounter.

In the test game, the Barb Lion already auto-died at the end of T33, so we have to be prepared for that possibility occurring at any time.

12. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Deity GOTM Staff

Dhoom, I deduce that you love this game. Thanks for entertaining us.

"Of course, plans change, and if Shaka's Scout can provide us sufficient cover, it may be worth it for us to push out even further westward on future turns." Advocate pushing westward.

13. leif erikson

14. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

I almost missed the nice report due to editing.
    Good work, thanks!

15. The-Hawk

The-Hawk Old Original Geezer

X King: That Shaka character looks like he wants to kick ass and take names.

Military Advisor: Yes... in fact, he keeps referring to us as his little Greek play toys :eek:!

X King: Where is our Ambassador to Zululand? Where is Ambassador Milquetoast?

Milquetoast: Here Sire!!!!

X King: You need to placate the beast Shaka. He want to turn us into his playthings. Worse yet... he may decide to abuse Willem first. Maybe there are no other male leaders nearby. Can you imagine if we need to depend on Shaka to learn secrets about the great female leaders? We need to draw a very fine balance in our diplomacy. Otherwise Shaka might close his borders and we will not be able to give him our workers for information. We can not piss him off!!!!

Milquetoast: Ummmm.... errr.... I will do my best.

X King: I'm sure you will... but if you fail... there is a lion to our north that needs to be fed...

16. neilmeister

Nice turn report Dhoom, most entertaining.

Poor milquetoast!

17. Dhoomstriker

Thanks for joining in on the fun, The-Hawk! :)

I'll aim to play sometime roughly 8 hours from the timestamp on this message.

18. Dhoomstriker

I'll keep editing this message.

Turnset Report

T34, 2640 BC

X King: Go west!

Warrior 1: That is what we want to do.

Military Advisor: Go west!

Warrior 2: That is what we're going to do.

Ambassador Milquetoast: Go west!

Warrior 1: Now to put us to the test!

Sergeant Schultz: Go west!

Warrior 2: Time to wish us all the best!

Science Advisor: Sorry to interrupt the jubilations, but I'm going to suggest a turn of 0% Science now, to give us more benefit from having a larger amount of overflow Flasks when we complete The Wheel.

Military Advisor: Dude, what's an overflow Flask?

Science Advisor: Let's just say that the science geeks will be a little bit more productive if we save up some money for pizza first.

Military Advisor: Pizza, now that I can understand.

Warrior 2: Uhhhh, Barb Archer ahoy!

Spoiler :

X King: Fine, fine, but proceed please, so that we can see where that Barb Archer will go next.

Military Advisor: Quick Moves disabled, so that we can keep an eye on what the enemies do next!

T35, 2600 BC

Science Advisor: Back to a 100% Science rate, before we forget!

Military Advisor: Yeah, yeah, but what everyone wants to see is where the enemies went!

Spoiler :

Warrior 2: Okay, let's say that I moved 1E Grassland (2N of City 3's Crab) or 1NE G Riv (1S of the GH Riv For Gems). Either way, the G Cow square would be in my blind spot and I wouldn't know if the Barb Archer moved there or not. I'd probably be paralyzed for a few turns, unable to risk moving further westward without tag-team help, as I would never know on which turn the Barb Archer might be on the G Cow square.

Military Advisor: I'd suggest moving 1NW G (1N of the G Cow). From there, you'll be able to see where the Barb Archer goes and act accordingly.

Domestic Advisor: What about our people? Isn't there a risk of that Barb Archer charging our lands?

Military Advisor: Not really. I mean, we're many turns off from City 3 and Willem hasn't even founded his City 2 yet. So, the global number of Cities shouldn't be high enough at that point yet... unless an AI started with extra Cities at the start?

Foreign Advisor: It did SEEM like Willem was not in the process of building a Worker or a Settler, so it could be a while before he founds City 2. Also, no one reported anything unusual in the first turns of Demographics, and we all had a chance to take a close look... surely, someone would have spotted an AI that started with multiple Cities, right? Uhhh, someone DID check for that kind of an anomaly, right?

Domestic Advisor: While we wait to see if comments come in regarding Warrior 2, allow me to report that the Wheat Farmers have switched allegiance to X-opolis, helping our capital to grow in size to City Size 4 one turn sooner! Meanwhile, Gems is preparing to produce an exploring Work Boat.

Military Advisor: Unless there are objections, I suggest sending it due eastward. Oh, and avoid cutting corners while you're at it.

Science Advisor: What do you mean by cutting corners? Are you eating pizza, too?

Military Advisor: I'll show you in a diagram if the case arises, but basically, we invest more turns of movement initially in order to cover all possible exploration paths, so that later, we won't have to spend even more turns returning to the areas that we missed exploring further.

Science Advisor: Sounds intriguing. I look forward to having a chance to study your napkin diagrams.

Military Advisor: Mmmm, yes, the napkins may also have pizza stains on them. Pass me a piece, would you? All of this thinking is making me hungry...

Warrior 1: Hey, Warrior 2, your assumptions are wrong. A Lake allows you to see the 3 squares that are opposite of your position on the Lake--the square directly opposite from you and the two squares to either side of said square. So, actually, being horizontally or vertically adjacent to a Lake is fine; it's when you're diagonally adjacent to a Lake where there are blind spots.

Warrior 2: Huh?

Warrior 1: Okay, if you move 1NE G Riv, you'll be fine... you'll see all of the 8 squares immediately surrounding you, as you normally would. The Lake would be to your west, so you'd see the square 2W of your position, or 1W of the Lake. Also, you'd see the square 1N of there and the square 1S of there...

Warrior 2: Which is, of course, the G Cow square.

Warrior 1: Now you've got it!

Warrior 2: That's great, but, what if we work together? I mean, if you go to the NE of the western Lake and I go to the SE of the western Lake, we'll be able to see all of the squares on the other side of the Lake until someone can safely make it to a position that is horizontally or vertically adjacent to the western Lake.

Warrior 1: Hmmm, that approach could work. Let me think about it some more.

Military Advisor: Guys, I think that your orders were clear. Head west. And, may the Lord be with you.

Warriors 1 and 2: Roger that!

Spoiler :

Scout: I'm going to adjust my position, safely, too!

Spoiler :

Ambassador Milquetoast: I bring word from the Zulu empire, and the news isn't pretty. Impis are being deployed amongst their ranks!

Spoiler :

Military Advisor: Awww, no worries. My boys can take on those imps any day of the week!

Foreign Advisor: Willem continues to resist any attempt to find out what forces are in his ranks. Perhaps his Pleased Attitude is getting in the way?

T36, 2560 BC

Domestic Advisor: With the growth of our capital, the Wheat Farmers return to helping Gems City to grow. Meanwhile, we send citizens to the nearby island to hunt for the ever-elusive beavers.

X King: So, what's the story with the Barbs?

Warrior 2: The Barb Archer has not beelined our homeland and in fact has stayed to the south, giving me the option of a finesse push toward the west.

Warrior 1: I can support you by also pushing westward and possibly safely revealing what looks to be a GH square 3W of your current position.

Scout: Good news and bad. The good is that Ambassador Milquetoast is here to stay. The bad news is that Shaka's Scout took out our Lion spawn-buster, and is likely going to heal in a less-than-ideal location for spawn-busting.

Spoiler :

Ambassador Milquetoast: Predictably, Shaka has revolted into Slavery.

Warrior 1: Actually, I just revealed a lot of new squares. Take a look for yourselves!

Spoiler :

T37, 2520 BC

Domestic Advisor: Our second Gems Resource has been Mined and is being worked, turning Pottery from 4 turns to 3 turns to learn (as planned). Meanwhile, X-opolis focuses on growth. Gems City will grow in 1 turn's time while X-opolis will grow in 2 turns' time.

Warrior 2: The Barb Archer has returned 1E, leaving the field wide open for us to target heading toward either GH For square. Thoughts?

Work Boat Captain: We've uncovered a second source of Fish to the east! Unfortunately, it is another Ocean Fish.

Spoiler :

X King: We should ponder our desired spawn-busting locations.

Here is your Session Turn Log from 2640 BC to 2520 BC:
    Spoiler :
    Turn 35, 2600 BC: X-opolis can hurry Work Boat for 1⇴ with 7ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 14 turns.
    Turn 35, 2600 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 20 ℤ for Gems.
    Turn 35, 2600 BC: X-opolis will grow to size 4 on the next turn.
    Turn 35, 2600 BC: Shaka adopts Slavery!

Turn 36, 2560 BC: X-opolis has grown to size 4.
    Turn 36, 2560 BC: You have discovered The Wheel!

Turn 37, 2520 BC: Gems can hurry Warrior for 1⇴ with 15ℤ overflow, 9ℴ added to the treasury, and +1⇤ for 10 turns.

Attached Files:

19. Folket

Folket Deity

I had to turn on go west with pet shop boys after reading your first sentences. I'm quite impressed by your reporting.

The plains hills island looks very nice to me. 2 hammer city tile and 3 4 hammer tiles with 2 5 food tiles makes for a very nice city. With overseas trade routes and later the GLH it is going to be great.

I personally feel like getting GLH, then currency seems like very strong play. But my ideas are not worth much as I have not set myself into the game yet. I'm a little confused at the second work boat. Should not a galley been better?

I will slowly start to set myself into the game now. I hope to be ready in two weeks.

20. Dhoomstriker

Try taking a look at the test saved game, if you can, as we've been keeping it updated and it can give you a pretty clear picture of our current situation while also letting you play around.

We do have goals along the lines that you have described.

In fact, your mention of a Galley leads directly to our future tech path discussion that we've temporarily put on hold.

As a summary, what we are doing now is:
    1. Getting City 2 (Gems City) to have enough Food to continuously work 2 Gems Mines and to be able to hire 2 Scientists for long enough to generate our first Great Scientist, using 2 Chops to get that Library up as soon as possible
    2. Focusing on good timing for our capital to get an early Granary and then subsequently 3-pop-whip Settlers
    3. Working toward building The Great Lighthouse in our capital

Secondary goals include:
    4. Figuring out how to effectively spawn-bust, so that the Barbs won't destroy us once enough Cities have been settled for the Barbs to rush us
    5. Setting up spawn-busters so that after the Barbs rush us, new Barbs won't spawn to take their place
    6. Exploration

Pictures help, so here's a current view of our tech tree:
    Spoiler :

In particular, we are going for a fast Writing (pre-Sailing) approach for fast cheap Libraries (they are half price when Creative) for a fast Great Scientist (the first one comes twice as fast by being Philosophical).

Going for Writing before Sailing means that we have yet to unlock Galleys or Lighthouses.

We've decided on going:
    Agriculture -> Mining -> Bronze Working -> The Wheel (we've completed research this far) -> Pottery (for Granaries) -> Writing (for Libraries) -> something

It's that something that's up for debate and may depend upon how many neighbours we have met and whether we suspect that they have a given tech. We should be able to use screenshot comparisons between the real game and the test game to see if AIs whom we have met know techs that we want.

The three main options are:
    A] Self-tech Sailing and Masonry
    OR
    B] Self-tech Alphabet
    OR
    C] Self-tech Math and Lightbulb Alphabet

Option C] is a bit short-term-thinking oriented, especially since we won't have many Forests remaining at that time (unless we settle a Corn City), but it's advantages are that:
    i. We can gift/sell Math without having to sell Alphabet, while encouraging nearby AIs to go for Calendar or Construction on our behalf
    AND
    ii. We get a boost to research on Currency, and sooner Currency means more Commerce overall, which can help offset the delay in getting our first Academy

If we then were to delay much further research while amassing Gold after getting Currency (an idea that fits well with gifting Gold to Willem), an early Academy might not be all that useful anyway and therefore it's arguable that an early Academy might go to rot, should we be able to get a second Great Scientist out within a reasonable timeframe to be used for an Academy.

It may prove to be a worthwhile strategy to technologically-enable our neighbours, allowing for better trading and still leaving open the option of attacking them before they get to Feudalism, but perhaps after they've built a Wonder or two for us.

So, going for Alphabet does not necessarily need to be seen as a direct comparison of the Flasks that we'll get in exchange for the Flasks that we'll spend to research Alphabet, but can also include future techs that the AIs will research on our behalves sooner, thanks to us gifting them techs earlier. I'd like to hang on to Alphabet ourselves, if we target that tech, but everything else should be available to give away (with an exception of Religious techs that lead to Monarchy, as well as Monarchy itself, since Monarchy unlocks the yucky Feudalism tech, at which point Longbowmen become available to the AIs).

With smart warfare (sea-based), we can effectively take down AI Cities later on without having to slog through tons of their units, and when their Stacks of Doom are at our Cities' gates, we can Cease Fire, while holding some of their coastal Cities.

When we do learn Sailing, I'm seriously considering building a Galley before a Lighthouse out of our capital, or perhaps whipping a Galley out of Gems City (City 2). The sooner that we can found a City by the Fur, the sooner that we can get +1 Happiness as well as Overseas Trade Routes.

We are a bit light on production due to focusing on Science before REX, so it does seem to make sense to stick with our chosen path and beeline Alphabet (which could also mean beelining Math and Lightbulbing Alphabet), so as to push our research envelope (and the research pace of each of our neighbours) to fully leverage our opening. In other words, we're sacrificing a bit of early development in order to get through the tech tree a whole lot faster.

Early Currency obviously has the benefit of learning our tasks sooner, and the sooner that we understand the tasks that will be needed to win the Ladies' Hearts, the better that we'll be able to focus our empire's resources on achieving them.

BSPollux has already explicitly stated that the game will be a longer one, so going for a faster tech pace seems to fit well with that idea, with the only possible exception being that if our first goal is to do something for a Lady prior to learning Currency, we are likely to obsolete that quest before even knowing about it.