SGOTM 22 - Lurker thread

BSPollux

Deity
This thread is for people who are not playing SGOTM 22. If you are an active player, reading this thread will get you disqualified!

Hint for lurkers: Be careful when quoting players. Some software tools alarm players when they are quoted and link them to the thread. This will make them open this thread, which they are not supposed to read. If you quote them, make sure you remove the player number from the opening tag of the quote. That will avoid the problem.

OK, welcome lurkers. Tell us what you think. Please don't post anything that points at something no team has yet seen. Basically: No spoilers.

Hmm, haven't read the threads carefully, but looks like we have Rome at two different locations. Will one turn out to be clearly better than the other?

And then there's the dilemma of attempting to build the Great Wall or any ancient wonder. Will anyone try once they realize the techs the other civs have? More importantly, perhaps, will anyone successfully build an early wonder, and if so, will it be worth it?

Only FE & XTeam decided to scout before settling. I believe all the other teams decided to SIP. Like WillowBrook I will be interested to see which site turns out to be the better choice.

I see Anti-TSR believe that BSP has set a trap for those teams building the Great Wall by stacking the deck in favour of the AI. :devil: This could turn out to be a very enjoyable SGOTM - for the lurkers. :lol:

I see a massive "told you so!" coming. Obviously I can't tell you yet who I think will cause it.

soundjata said:
There are currently 6 lvl 1 cities barring the road to a conquest victory.

We don't necessarily need to grow Rome or expand or anything.

We need to search and destroy.

Chariots are a fine early game searching tool.

This guy knows how to set priorities :)

Your opponents received some significant starting bonuses including the priesthood technology.

I would suspect they have a fair few starting techs, particularly to practically rule out the Great Wall. Seems to me the game would be made too easy if the GW is possible to get.

Place your bets:

How many barbarian units will be killed by the teams before turn 50?
Guess the most kills by any team.

Well, someone has to go first. Without the benefit of any experience with this sort of setup, I'll make the wild guess of 15.

WastinTime said:
I think all teams will try for GW, all settle the same capital, and the same 2nd city. Everyone researched AH. I'm not impressed by this scenario yet. I tried to make it exciting :ar15:

I'm happy to say: You're already wrong with that assumption. :)

Place your bets:

How many barbarian units will be killed by the teams before turn 50?
Guess the most kills by any team.

Complete finger in the air - I'm going to guess at 30. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :
WatingTime said:
I think all teams will try for GW, all settle the same capital, and the same 2nd city. Everyone researched AH. I'm not impressed by this scenario yet. I tried to make it exciting :ar15:

I'm happy to say: You're already wrong with that assumption. :)

Having caught up with Anti-TSR's thread I understand the context better. If they're not already doing it I suspect it won't be long before all the teams are cursing your name BSP. :lol: That said the teams can't complain about not having a challenging game that's forcing them to make difficult decisions. :D

Hrrrmmm... If I were still with TSR I would be on WT's side here.

1- The notion they floated that BSP put the scout there to allow the teams to figure out that AI's have Masonry is amazing to me. I would never imagine that BSP would expect more than one or two teams to extract this information (if he even realized it was available, which I doubth.)

2- I would be assuming that all teams are going for GW, which obviously is a huge plus if you get it.

3- This means that they can either go for the GW as well, or take a huge risk of doing something different. Given that they have to be the favorite team pre-game-on-paper, it seems foolish to take such a huge risk here.

Apart from that, another observation which I have yet to see anyone comment on... It will be interesting to see how teams deal with capital health cap. Happy can easily be overcome with Heriditary rule, but there is no obvious answer to health (especially since from what we have seen from the amp so far, only 1 type of seafood and 1 grain are in early grabing range.)

The way I actually design the maps seems to be quite different from the way most players imagine it to be. Hardly ever someone is right with the mind reading. Obviously going into details would mean spoilers at this point. Maybe the reason for that difference is that I didn't play many SGOTMs.

Oh, I will take "3" in the guessing game. I am taking the view that all teams get GW, and that only a few barbs need to be killed.

It's fun to see that what seems obvious to one player hasn't even been discussed in other threads. From unclethrill in FE:

I like the idea for the GW. Get a second city then chop wall. Dealing with barbs long term will be a real hinderance. Most teams will likely go this same route.

(Or maybe I missed it. But I don't recall other discussions of chopping TGW after settling the 2nd city.)

Chopping the Wall in city two is probably too slow. Settler is what, 70 hammers, you need a worker first (needed for chopping). Worker in 15 turns, then, assuming working pigs, settler in about 12. Second city on turn 30. Great wall needs 6 pre-math chops (plus build hammers) at 4 turns each. That is turn 54, so way too slow to catch the barb waive which will hit at turn 42 or so.

I dont see this as a good idea at all.

Chopping the Wall in city two is probably too slow. Settler is what, 70 hammers, you need a worker first (needed for chopping). Worker in 15 turns, then, assuming working pigs, settler in about 12. Second city on turn 30. Great wall needs 6 pre-math chops (plus build hammers) at 4 turns each. That is turn 54, so way too slow to catch the barb waive which will hit at turn 42 or so.

I dont see this as a good idea at all.

I agree. I just think it's amusing that anyone thinks every team will take a particular path. There are way too many variables.

Oh, I misunderstood.... I thought you were saying that UT's plan was obviously correct. I now realize you just meant it looks that way to him. Indeed you are right, I have seen several proclamations that "everyone will do XYZ", and in most cases, XYZ is currently being preferred by a minority of teams!

Top Bottom