[BTS] SGOTM 24 Dancing Bears

There are quite a few dark corners barb galleys can spawn, too many to bust econnomically, best we can do is keep the spawns far enough to give time to counter them by whipping galley/trireme. Trireme gets pretty good odds against galleys, particularly with 20% coast defence bonus. Downide of trireme is that they can't carry units, upside is that if we're aiming for optix then trireme>caravel is one of the better value upgrades and can be pre-positioned to speed up exploration.

Looks like we need to finalise and agree settler production plans before playing on.

I agree, we can do our best with speed (like for our galley delivering units) to fogbust some important spots but it's quiet some time until it would be 100% safe. Nothing to do about that now, part of maps with much ocean.

My suggestion for settler would be clam island (as in other post), it's rather relaxed there.
Yep library after LH would also be good there, but settlers are expensive so something else would be better in all our cities. And clam island has the most time until galley arrives.

Too slow for saturday, going out.

Last edited:
Sorry bit distracted by stuff today. Went to cook after you last posted. So timing has not been great. I am off out tonight.

Hopefully we'll have more time tomorrow to get some turns played. One of the things we'll have to work out is getting a worker to corndye island. Logistics are getting quite complicated at the moment. Maybe we should be looking at another galley which would ease logistics significantly.

Yep be good to move this on. I am around. I am away tomorrow evening but around during the day.

Doesn't look like we'll be playing turns this evening.

It occurs to me that Doublecorn can singlewhip a settler within ?3 turns. No problems with Doubelcorn happiness, it can recall warrior 1E next turn after border pop for mp and loses whip unhappy next turn as well.

Clam City has a bit of work to do: whip LH next turn, overflow into settler, start library and grow following turn, grow to pop4 then return to settler build. Westgalley should have time to return in time for the settler.

Corndye city will need a worker for sure. One question is whether it needs a military unit to land first in case of barbs. I'm guessing corndye city goes SE of corn to get river, dyes and hills (and its a bit closer).

Still quite a bit to think about in terms of micro and ergonomic movement.

Logistics of galley? No point whipping it early? Plus we want the scientists and engineer points for science.

Yep I think today is a day of pause.

Given that Doublecorn is working ghmine and specs we can whip away mine if we want a slightly earlier settler without touching specs. We could maybe consider using settler from Clam Island for corndye and settler from Doublecorn for cow corner. In that case the timing of Doublecorn settler depends on where we place Cow Corner (either clams or cow in inner ring) and availability of workers/workboat.

Not fond of 1 pop whips. In theory we could do a 2 pop whip here with 60H. Albeit we have very little to put that OF into unless we run science or select a further settler? It will take the workers 7 turns to reach the cow resource at least. Till then we would be running a 2f1H cow resource? So 10 turn TP? It would have 3x2c trade routes. If we whipped in 3 turns we could build city on 7th turn. Mylene was not in a hurry for this city.

Pends if we had other plans for the workers?? Roads to stone? Cow/mine for cow city?

Where do we stand on citizens vs 1f2c food tiles?? 1H 3 science vs 1F2C? If we plan a 2 pop whip in clam city maybe better to run citizen for science? Hmmm. A light house might change that.

Citizens...I do not much like them, even with the Rep science. No GPP, so probably better to work coast tile and boost growth so we can whip a building to allow for better options.

If workers road the pigs resource, saves a bit of time getting them to the cow site. Having the resource connected is also helpful. Not sure what else would be higher priority for them? Unless we plan to get one on a galley for corn/dyes island?

Maybe this pic of galley plan helps?
Spoiler :
Citizens are useful in some cases with Rep, i.e. in Ivory coast before lighthouse.
Can help gathering 30h for library (some overflow slowly builds up while waiting for granary, LH) so we do not need size 6 for a 90h building :)
But Clam Island has 3h city tile, so benefits more from food.
I did not look yet if that will be better than food & 3 pop whip thou, but sometimes citizens help.

Big overflow whip in cornx2 will be an option in 2t, as Gumbo wrote.
Barracks will be very good here, we have a forge for units.
1 pop whips are not good, without chops we always should aim at creating overflow now when whipping in already well built up cities like cornx2.

So overall i think this plan should work well, worker for corn+dye city has time to board galley.
Clam Island has time for settler, no need to rush out another galley in fishx3 or so.
We can see what we do with cornx2 settler in 2t.

Changes for this turn, i think we should give Stalin our Iron.
Allows us building happy guard warriors, and cancel deal later when / if we want Iron.
Better to work on those 10t early.
And building science in Cap for currency in 3t, checking next turn how long we should do so.

Last edited:
Yep at least 7 turns till galley can pick up Clam settler. Actually road on pigs will help worker speed.

So maybe complete the pasture road. 1 Worker to cow and other heads for galley.

So whip cornx2 with 60 hammers invested? 1 whip is 37 hammers.

At some point TF will want that mine back once Bacon completes TP.

Last edited:
Right so plan for this turn?
Iron to Stalin.
Galley 1 pickup worker and settler. Work boat goes ahead to protect.

City micro?

Science 100%. Maybe not quite enough?
Workboat 11 settle fish.
Galley 2 head east.

Capital build science 3t was a good idea. I guess fur and food is better than scientist here for now.

Test game I got barb galleys around T114. Turned up 25bc. Only 2 on map.

Last edited:
Settling cow corner earlier will certainly spawnbust that bit of coast, we should have currency by then for four trade routes which helps. It may have to run unimproved tiles for a few turns.

Southsea and Tundra Hill may be able to build a few beakers towards currency while growing.

How confident are we that barbs won't spawn in corndye island. If necessary we could load Whamo to establish a beachhead before landing settler.

Yep, some small moves i would do this turn..
explore boat 1w, Whamo (near corn island) 1s to fogbust closer.
Cap warrior 2x nw to fogbust here when galley units left.

99% sure no barbs can spawn on corndye isle.

Just as little reminder, west galley will have to move 1sw next turn - wait - load in Basho & settler, then continue moving.

Okay let's get somebody playing :)

Science in TH also a good idea yup, only 1 beaker but who knows might become useful.
We have everything but library here and 1h will not do much.

No other city changes i can think of.

Yup green bear ;)

Last edited:
I have to head off out in 3 or so hours. Any changes to plan and comments from Mylene above?

Yep Corndye island is too small for land barbs.

TH - science
Capital science.
WB 5 1W.
Science 100%.
Cap warrior 2x nw to fogbust here when galley units left.
Any other city changes here??

Green??

Russians in war mode. :o

Uploading save.

Last edited:
Is Gumbolt in the mood for playing a few turns? I'm feeling slightly more brain-dead than usual.

Nothing to add, happy with plan.

Galley 2. 1NE and e pick up scout? Unless we want to look for Russian stacks? Could be 1 of 3 targets. WB5. I really doubt barb galleys are even about yet. 15-20 turns off.

Clams - Do we build settler now? 9h a turn?? Could almost run a citizen. Take 5 turns for 40h to whip settler.

TF is now running 2 scientists.
Bacon running pigs.

He has likely settled the copper anyway?

Noted Mylene's moves below. No harm moving workboat 2S. Too early for barb galleys really.
Whip LH.

Any city micro?

I assume workboat 5 to Bacon long term?? Otherwise it needs to build WB. Actually TF seems to be on that.

Green bear?

Okay time to play on. City builds look okay to me.

Warrior 4 could move back into city now?? That tile is now fog busted?

Last edited:
Plan looks good to me, so green.

Off to see the dentist, not sure just how long it will take, but hope to check again later.

Stalin planning war? Maybe not the best time to give him our iron, then? :lol:

Looks like we need 1 more turn with science builds, but then we will have currency in 2t :)

micro
Spoiler :
Yep on east galley move, could wait 1 more turn with picking up scout thou.

Whip LH in Clam Island.

Boat 5 2s just in case?

West galley can move 1w - sw next turn, unload Basho first just in case then settler too.

All else set i think, Stalin will be pleased soon with our gifts at least.

Yep green from me

Yup he can.

Boat 5 will be for west island city, we settle on hill there for fish in inner ring.
Bacon boat from from fishx3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom