SGOTM 24 Lurker thread

Zhary

Skalman
This thread is for people who are not playing SGOTM 24. If you are an active player, reading this thread will get you disqualified!

Hint for lurkers: Be careful when quoting players. Some software tools alarm players when they are quoted and link them to the thread. This will make them open this thread, which they are not supposed to read. If you quote them, make sure you remove the player number from the opening tag of the quote. That will avoid the problem.

OK, welcome lurkers. Tell us what you think. Please don't post anything that points at something no team has yet seen. Basically: No spoilers.

Hark! Hark! Amazing News: Turbos might give up VERY EARLY! Unbelievable! This game seems to be out of their (usual) grasp - no early war, no horses, no (early) worker-stealing. The outcome: too little attention to securing their own turf (greedy eyes!), (MAYBE!) suboptimal teching, suboptimal site sequence for settling, what else?!
Would be nice though to see those real masters fight the current handicaps, would be a real pity if they give up "as it is not fun to play further" after initial setback - or what looks like one...

Well it wouldn't be called 1 turn challenge if it wasn't a challenge. One of the intention of the game was to protect the trees from yourself. I don't se that TA have panic yet and start bring out the axes. Wastintime even sees the city as a blessing rather than a curse.
I guess it's bad luck that the team that noticed that there exist a barb city is the team that got the most problem from it.

To me, the plan of attacking a 3-archer barb city with warriors sounds like a pipe dream. Admittedly an archer or two may move out of the city to attack a lone warrior, but that's not a sure thing. I've tried something similar in the past when in a bind for getting horse/copper, and from what I recall I needed about 10 warriors to beat 2 archers (but that was probably in a 20% city). And even with so many units, it was either a close call or a failure.

Interesting development in any case. And with so many excellent players, maybe they will turn in into an advantage.

I will need to look at things. But bulbing feudalism might be a good play.

@ Zhary:

My message was in no way meant to lessen the quality of your work. On the contrary: intendedly or not, but you have created a situation that it is more fun to follow. And have done a good job of challenging the teams , they, or more precisely, the ones that I follow, seem to recognize and admit it.

BTW, I seem to have come across a team that is not having a problem with the barb city as they have settled the two corns first, not the cows, following their decision to research AH later....

One way or another, the competition will / might be fiercer this time, thanks to your setting of the stage.

I do not see that turbo ants are giving up.

@Folket:

No they are not, and that's good news! There was a mention of the possibility to give up at the time when I wrote my first email, though...

@FiveRings: Don't worry I never took your comment as a mean one.
During test I once got a barb city at the pig site at turn 35 and usually a city at the stone around that time. Turn 27 is real bad luck great to see that its happens to the best of teams.

@Folket:I never tested totem fused Lbows but it seems like it could work. But I tried to make a game where the winning team is not neccesary the team that got the earliest succesfull war.

I'm impressed with the bears oracle-mids combo plan If they manage to get it through I think we have a clear winner already.

LowtherCastle said:
Team graphs are all over the place already. Sign of a good game design, imo.

:scan:
Moderator Action: I've removed the post link from your quote. See the warning in the first post. AlanH

Last edited by a moderator:
Look like this game is turning into the battle of the early wonders intresting...

Expansion? I would say that expansion is the most common way.

Anyone can publish a comparison between each team's expansion rate?

I'd guess expansion = number of citizen in a first approximation.

Got some time over to do a list:

WTF table doesn't work on the new forum:mad::confused::mad:

here is a figure instead:

c4.png

Xteam have no wonders and cities by turn 33.

Last edited:
According to LC's latest analysis on the game strategy, (in page 30 of TA's thread)

A succession of great scientists bulbs seems to be the optimal way to research up to Environmentalism.

Teams are discussing the proper balance between generating GPP and hammering soldiers and wonders on the path to victory.

Nostalgia is already leaning towards early GPP through Code of Laws.

:scan:

TA are planning to use failgold to fuel the economy, a.k.a. the WonderBread Economy. From what I can see, other teams are planning OF into infra or units instead. So far maybe this difference is the biggest between the teams, and it will be interesting to see what the longterm consequences are. The strategy isn't as powerful on Normal speed as on Marathon, but as the teams need to get deep in the tech tree in this game, it could still be important.

Exploration looks a little tricky, and three cheers to Fippy for showing (us) some maps :)

Now when all AIs are know. Does anybody what to guess/know the meaning of friends and foes?

Top Bottom