[BTS] SGOTM 24 Turbo Ants

I just got back from Vegas (2 weeks ago). Went to watch the Zags kick some butt in the WCC tournament. Go Zags!!

So what's the plan with the game. How long do we wait for ZPV to reappear?

I've got some time, so I guess I should take over. I'll start posting plans today and try to figure out where every unit was going.

In general, it's
- get failgold to research MC, trade for Alpha, etc. After MC? machinery?
- build an army of HAs to head east. Either grab a couple Darius cities--Probably not the capital--and probably not Darius at all. Main goal is to get Mids and kill Russia

explore west (workboat) and north (GPro) and NE and East. This implies that the galley drop off the worker, move the GPro and sail east to have the chariot jump either north or east.
What does the Dog do?

PPP t88-98ish

General plans:
Research MC @ 0% for 4 turns. After MC, ideally trade for Poly+PHood, research CoL
Prioritise failgold whips while they are still available.
Then 100% (decreasing if Stalin is slow with the Pyramids).
Send the galley north to drop off the worker and then explore. We'll probably build another one to ship the worker home.
Send the WB east to explore.
Espionage will stay on Darius.

City builds & MM:
TA Town: 2whip Rax t90, t91 Pyramids, then HAs. Don't overprioritise scientists - we'll rely on CoL/Philo to get us out of jail if we need to
Cows City: Galley - whip t89, t90 Pyramids, then WB-HAs.
2Corn: 92 2whip HA, t93 Pyramids. Not ideal overflow, but I don't want another dog solider. Work scientists.
3Fish: t88 Pyramids, t89-90 worker, 2whip 91, t92 Pyramids. Then WB-Settler.
Gaul: 2whip Rax t88, Pyramids t89, grow on a HA.
--
Stone
Clam Island
Whales
Southport
-- all granaries

Pause points: tech trade time. Other unexpected goodies.
I can play in ~21 hours

Failgold
Mids
88h TAT
68h 2Corn
----
66h 3Fish t89
68h Gaul t90

Moai
66h 3Fish

Moscow will get another chop this turn, so I'd expect to see the Pyramids finish by t93 or t94. No time to hesitate. On the bright side, the sooner we get that gold, the sooner we can get MC and trade for Alpha. Eta: ~t96.

Possible Mids maxOF schedule
t88 3Fish, 2whip Gaul rax
t89 Gaul, 1whip Cows wb, grow 3Fish to pop6 (max food)
t90 Cows, 2whip TAT rax, build PigsSettler in pop6 3Fish @ max fh.
t91 TAT, whip ???
t92 ???, 3whip 3FIsh
t93 3Fish.

3Fish could 2whip a worker a turn sooner than the settler, but if we're going to trade HBR for IW, then maybe it's better to get the settler out asap and re-route the desert road worker to the pigs. That way the Pigs City will expand its borders sooner. In fact, maybe we should make that trade now to see if there's any iron. We might want to prioritize the worker whip. I didn't get any forest growth. Does that mean those tiles are loaded with no-growth resources, like iron? Was the jungle on the gems and pigs a hint?

I can get a settler out of 3Fish 1 turn earlier by using the 3rd fish 1 turn. (edit: or maybe the worker. Let me look for another place to get the worker)
No worker. 3fish MM:
T88 mids, work plainsForest
T89 settler, 3rd fish
T90 galley? 3rd fish
(size 6)
T91 whip settler 3rd fish

should our fogbusters each move 1 tile NE to spawnbust the water? (edit: Yes)
Astro Beeline - Two GSes

t88 Cows = 80 gps @8gppt
300 gps => t116

TAT = 6 gps
Code:
t88 rax @6hpt,  23f,       work 1sci
t89 rax @6hpt,  28f,       work 1sci, 12 gps
t90 2whip rax,  18f, pop4,            18 gps
t91 build Mids, 25f
t92 build ????, 18f  pop5, work 1 sci
t93             23f,       work 1 sci, 24 gps
t94             28f,       work 1 sci, 30 gps
t95                  pop6, work 2 sci, 36 gps
(Note: pop6 before t95 is unhappy)
264 gps / 12 gppt => t117 :eek: 1 turn too late. :lol:

Solution:
Code:
t88 rax @6hpt,  23f,       work 1sci
t89 rax @6hpt,  28f,       work 1sci,                       12 gps
t90 2whip rax,  18f, pop4, work 1sci instead of tundra fur, 18 gps
t91 build Mids, 24f,       work 1sci instead of tundra fur, 24 gps
t92 build ????, 16f, pop5, work 1 sci and furs,             30 gps
t93             21f,                                        36 gps
t94             26f,                                        42 gps
t95                  pop6, work 2 sci,                      48 gps

252 gps / 12 gppt => t116 Voila!
I'm leaning towards getting the GS and delaying Cows' GP. just because.
That could mean no RAX in TAT. Or we just build it now to use later. Do we really need a HA this early just standing around?

Cows: whipping next turn will just over-overflow the wb and make gold. If we want to do whip anyway just for the timing, we should work a coastal tile instead of grassForest.

Last edited:
I've got some time, so I guess I should take over. I'll start posting plans today and try to figure out where every unit was going.

In general, it's
- get failgold to research MC, trade for Alpha, etc. After MC? machinery?
- build an army of HAs to head east. Either grab a couple Darius cities--Probably not the capital--and probably not Darius at all. Main goal is to get Mids and kill Russia

explore west (workboat) and north (GPro) and NE and East. This implies that the galley drop off the worker, move the GPro and sail east to have the chariot jump either north or east.
What does the Dog do?
I doubt an exploring wb going west will find anything but Bismarck (is that who we met, it's been a while...). SO that wb could make nets there instead. ZPV had us sending the galley north, then west, dropping the worker off at the iron. We don't need to ferry the Prophet back yet, if ever. He can start a GA from there. The Dogdo could help the galley explore to free that up immediately.

ZPV was goiing to send another workboat north, then east. I'm not sure how long we want to delay the three unnetted seafood (2 west and 1 north), if at all.

We need a road to Darius. That's why ZPV was whipping the worker into maxfailgold instead of another settler. Not sure I like the idea of abandoning GS #2 in TAT in favor of HAs. Galleons will massively speed up any oversea warring and I suspect we'll want a lot of warring and captured cities (Domination VC?) to generate all the workers we'll need for rapid forest preserving.

Here were my failgold suggestions:

Spoiler failgold plan :

Failgold
Mids
88h TAT
68h 2Corn
----
66h 3Fish t89
68h Gaul t90

Moai
66h 3Fish

Moscow will get another chop this turn, so I'd expect to see the Pyramids finish by t93 or t94. No time to hesitate. On the bright side, the sooner we get that gold, the sooner we can get MC and trade for Alpha. Eta: ~t96.

Possible Mids maxOF schedule
t88 3Fish, 2whip Gaul rax
t89 Gaul, 1whip Cows wb, grow 3Fish to pop6 (max food)
t90 Cows, 2whip TAT rax, build PigsSettler in pop6 3Fish @ max fh.
t91 TAT, whip ???
t92 ???, 3whip 3FIsh
t93 3Fish.

3Fish could 2whip a worker a turn sooner than the settler, but if we're going to trade HBR for IW, then maybe it's better to get the settler out asap and re-route the desert road worker to the pigs. That way the Pigs City will expand its borders sooner. In fact, maybe we should make that trade now to see if there's any iron. We might want to prioritize the worker whip. I didn't get any forest growth. Does that mean those tiles are loaded with no-growth resources, like iron? Was the jungle on the gems and pigs a hint?

fyi. I'm gathering old posts and adding to my previous post. I've commented (and agree) on the the TAT GS and the failgold.

Here's an idea. What about NOT building a worker. (I know what you thinking...:rolleyes:what a fresh idea from WT, but hear me out...)
We can travel east faster my making a small galley chain. We'll need those galleys anyway. And once we capture Russia, we can attack darius from there and rarely have to cross the desert.
Even just 2 galleys is faster than all that road travel. And every time we add a galley, we speed that up which will bring the last few stragglers in quickly for the attack.

Ok, so I'll chop the pigsjungle before the settler even gets there maybe road it too if there's time, and settle Quahog ASAP (T94). I'll stop roading east. (or finish the one pRoad?)

I will send a wb east so we don't have to waste a galley exploring when we want to do the chain. Our existing galley will go east some to transfer the chariot, ideally, to a decent sized landmass, then return to form the chain.

Last edited:
I don't understand a word you said.

(kidding) If you're sure galleys are faster than HAs on roads, okay. (I thought I'd checked that but maybe not.) They are decent for failgold 2whipping. It doesn't hurtto have them around if a barb galley invades our serenity.

When you say send our galley east, do you mean north first, then eastward?

Be sure to finish defogging the southern coastal route to Bismarck so we can have TRs with him while at war with Stalin. (Do we even have TRs with him? Or is resource access only via his enculturated ocean tiles? I haven't checked.)

Anyone on board with killing the scout? (saves 1 or 2 gpt)
(edit: no, we'll try to get him off-continent)

When you say send our galley east, do you mean north first, then eastward?
Just briefly, I want to drop a land unit north of Clam island an go east to transport the chariot (or the scout if we don't kill him). Chariot could be used for war on Russia.
I'm hoping to find large landmasses, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Last edited:
No Bis traderts yet.
We're not even connected to a trade network with Bis, which doesn't make sense because we've met his wb and the network only requires a one-way connection, so even if we can't get to him over his oceanic culture tiles he can get to us, right? Does that mean that there's barb city culture blocking the network? In any case, no TRs for sure with no network.

Anyone on board with killing the scout? (saves 1 or 2 gpt)

Just briefly, I want to drop a land unit north of Clam island an go east to transport the chariot (or the scout if we don't kill him). Chariot could be used for war on Russia.
I'm hoping to find large landmasses, but maybe that's wishful thinking.
A scout can save a galley many turns in scouting. We're so late,,,I don't know if we want to cripple our scouting more. Our Dog has 4XP, so he's 1XP from moving 2 with guerilla or woodsman II. He just needs to find a barb. I'm inclined to send him and the galley north and see what happens. Dogdo is far more likely to survive if we run into a barb archer.

I guess if we're planning another galley asap, the first could go eastward to get the chariot. The scout can defog to the southeast while the chariot goes home damaged. Or whatever.

Looking more carefully, I don't follow the logistics of the galley chaining. Are you thinking that the last two HAs would use the chain? Or would we stockpile them at Darius (costing supply maint)? Or are you just thinking of all the follow-up units after the initial SoD?

Edit: I'd even send the scout and the chariot on a galley. Useful. Or keep the scotu or chariot for war reconnaissance.

Are you thinking that the last two HAs would use the chain?
I imagine even the early HAs can use the chain if it's set up, but it's mostly for the last ones that join the initial DoW.
We still probably need that partial road and possibly even one more. It will be easier to plan in a few turns when we know when the HAs are coming and from where...and how many we want for the initial DoW....and what's the target.

Okay. I think we'll want to build roads connecting Tarsus and Moscow. Note that Stalin doesn't have any culture in any other cities. :eek: (No Mysticism?) If we build roads at Gaul-3e2n and 4e3n, then Ithiknn we could stockpile our SoD at Stone-2e1n and it would meet the incoming galley units at Persepolis-nw. Then we'd only need those two Gaul roads and the Tarsus to Moscow line, built just in time.

Since AIs always build a building (granary or monument) first in new cities, Stalin is building granaries everywhere. yay!

Top Bottom