[BTS] SGOTM 24 Unusual Suspects

I like Neil's settler at 2 option, Settler on pop 2: NW city founded in 2840bc, corn city founded in 2200bc, SH completed 1920bc
tech hunting, wheel, myst,
Maybe we should play the SIP and report, then play to hunting, report, and so on. (I think everyone agrees SIP, hunting, and explore with warrior), and there won't be much else going on.and we can pause if there is new facts.

See roster: write a PPP and lets vote!

there IS land to the north in the real save, though it might be a single tile mountain which is useless.
While looking at that, I checked the demographic screen. Only thing worth noting is the power levels.
demosgotm240000.JPG

If we want SH, settler as soon as we hit pop 2 is the safer option, if we don't want SH, I think waiting to pop 3 is the stronger move.

I personally want SH

See roster: write a PPP and lets vote!
Ok, got it!

PreliminaryPPP
SIP

Worker-warrior-settler @2

Hunting, wheel, AH, myst (?) - Haven't checked the optimal order if we do settler at size 2 and want to start SH in city 2. Is there time for wheel? I certainly would like to have AH when we settle NW.

EDIT: after some testing favour hunting-wheel-myst-AH-mining.

Warrior wanders off through eastern mountain gates.

Worker starts with southern deer.

Certainly won't play further than hitting size 2, can pause at hunting.

Should I take screenshots of the demo screen each turn? I'm not very good at reading much out of them.

Last edited:
SIP and then share the save file and share screenshots of all the statistics and leaderboards, also the x,y map coordinates for the capital. I also think we'd want a short pause when the worker is complete. Please save every turn, take screenshots of demo every turn. Don't forget to edit your ini file for autosave every turn.

With all those caveats, green!

And yes, I want Stonehenge too. It's especially useful since the Totem Pole is our unique building.

Indeed hunting-wheel-myst-AH-mining seems best, throwing in AH earlier doesn't seem to cut anything of the SH date, even if we can't pasture the cow immediately upon settling going this way. However, AH times perfectly with the completion of the road from capital to NW, so it looks good, evidently the TR is also good to have.

After that it seems best to build a second worker at size 3, followed by settler for corn. That worker can build a road toward corn while the settler is built, shaves off 2 turns travel time and gives instant TR, so I guess that'd be better. Also it can go farm instantly upon settling. However, depends a bit on the barb situation, we might need another warrior first. Then again, I kept a warrior stationed in NW city, it can take a more strategic position once that city is settled.

I am green to hunting, or until somethimg unexpected appears.

GO for it

Green to Hunting also.

That was a fantastically entertaining turnset!

We're at X=75, Y=13. There's something to the east, but if we're that east ourselves, can't be too much, unless the mapmaker has been very creative.

Hunting in, wheel selected.

The save.

Pics, all demoscreens and surroundings.
Spoiler :

Mmm, seems photobucket is making the pics smaller, not sure how to change those settings.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised there is a land connection east. I expected us to be semi-isolated to try and slow us down some, maybe we still are.

AH or Wheel next? Only AH may make a difference on how we settle in the short run I would think.

AH or Wheel next? Only AH may make a difference on how we settle in the short run I would think.
Best seems to be wheel next. It's best to keep the worker busy and also for TRs of course. It'll also avoid some inefficient manoeuvring through the woods.

I tested AH-Wheel-Myst 1st just for fun. I was able to get Wheel in time for roads to city 2 and Myst in time to start SH as first build in C2. My C2 was by the cows and founded T34, C3 founded by corns on T45 iirc.
Again, my only thinking here is could knowledge of pony location(s) affect our settling decisions?

I tested AH-Wheel-Myst 1st just for fun. I was able to get Wheel in time for roads to city 2 and Myst in time to start SH as first build in C2. My C2 was by the cows and founded T34, C3 founded by corns on T45 iirc.
Again, my only thinking here is could knowledge of pony location(s) affect our settling decisions?
Of course it could affect our settling decisions. What is the advantage of wheel>AH>myst or some other tech order?

Wheel first lets c2 be settled a turn sooner by roading the tile NW of capital after the second deer.

How many warriors are you building before settler-worker-settler? I built 3 to fogbust the first 3 settling sites more or less. All 3 were attacked by animals in testing as well, so I kinda feel like we need that many. I also settled by the cows 1st and corns 2nd.

Is it worth an extra turn or 2 to know where horses might be before settling?

I also assumed city by the cows, simply as it was the best city in any of my tests... Corn could pump settlers and whip but only the Cows city could build early wonders.

The reason for SH is that almost every city site needs to pop borders to be decent & it gives every city its UB automatically. If we want SH I think it is prudent to get it as fast as possible. 1920bc isn't a hugely fast date as it is.

Looking at the map, where would horses go that would actually change our settling order?
The Cow city is not on flat land, so I do not think we are at risk of settling on top of horses..... we are more at risk of settling on Copper IMO.

edit: I was finishing 2 warriors before worker-settler
builds: warrior, warrior (switch to settler at pop 2), finish warrior, warrior (switch to worker-settler at pop 3)

Last edited:
Top Bottom