[BTS] SGOTM 24 Xteam

To Be Determined.

Good work zbg, sorry I've been a bit quiet. AGREE

Thanks NZ

CP;

Certainly worth considering, but the maintenance on an ivory city would be significant. Let's make sure there's no clearly better alternative.

What's the City maintenance formula?????

I just checked this; and 002 ;

003 informs of the distance to palace cost.

just tried to open this guide, yet couldn't, due to "lack of core adobe dll"

feedback will be welcome:D:D:D

Tried playing the test game to the plan. A couple things became apparent:

1. Building more units & cities slows down research, need to de-emphasize Settlers a little bit.
2. Can also move Galley back in the build order, since island city should be founded around the same time we get Currency
3. I forgot to insert a turn of Anarchy
4. Ombu needs a Library early, while WPB probably doesn't need one at all (or at least not this turnset)

I'll recalibrate the plan and post again soon. (how soon depends on how much sleep I actually get)

1. Building more units & cities slows down research, need to de-emphasize Settlers a little bit.
2. Can also move Galley back in the build order, since island city should be founded around the same time we get Currency
4. Ombu needs a Library early, while WPB probably doesn't need one at all (or at least not this turnset)

I'll recalibrate the plan and post again soon. (how soon depends on how much sleep I actually get)

Concur.

Yep that settler not being build may mean extra 3 DS or a library. If we eventually run CSystem, then a couple of hammer cities will be needed. As WPB is our best fit till now, a library will be of little to no use there.

Also seems that island vs jungle pig cities will be quite a tough decision.

I incline for island, as we can send 2 wkbts to get an extra 4 coins from there,.contrary to jungle pig site, where food would be much meagre.

1. Building more units & cities slows down research, need to de-emphasize Settlers a little bit. Going to have to build something eventually in Oak and Pine, unless we get Alpha and can build Research, so bear in mind that you could build a settler(s) to near completion. Also, need to roughly calibrate how many total warrior MP's are a net plus at any given point.
4. Ombu needs a Library early, while WPB probably doesn't need one at all (or at least not this turnset) Concur. That is a production city.

If there is a truly good city site off our western coast (or to the north), suspect it will be better long term to settle it ASAP, despite immediate maintenance costs.

I've made some adjustments and I feel pretty good about this now. I've actually planned out into the late-T90's, but I think I'll play to T88 or until Alpha becomes available, whichever is first, then reassess and adjust the plan for the next 10 or so turns.

PPP

T77 to T88

Research
upload_2017-4-18_21-24-43.png

City Builds
upload_2017-4-18_21-25-50.png

Worker Actions
upload_2017-4-18_21-30-24.png

Unit Actions
North WB - Keep moving north and west as possible
Exploring warrior - Keep moving east and south to reach Germany, and circle back after reaching border
1st WB from WPB - Explore western island
2nd WB from WPB - Net clams
1st WB from Ombu - Net 2nd fish
2nd WB from Ombu - Net 3rd fish
1st Settler - found Pig/Clam city
2nd Settler - get on galley (destination TBD)
Scout - move NE to reveal coast in Persia (open TR), then head South
New Warriors/DSs - get garrison of 2 in Oak, 3 in Pine, 3 in Ombu

Diplomacy
OB with Germany
Demands - stop and ask team
Focus EPs on Darius as best tech trader
Stop if Alpha becomes available and report to team on trading options

P.S. fractals - the spreadsheet I used is attached if you want to use it later

Attachments

• SGOTM 24 - Xteam.xlsx
    146.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Also seems that island vs jungle pig cities will be quite a tough decision.

I incline for island, as we can send 2 wkbts to get an extra 4 coins from there,.contrary to jungle pig site, where food would be much meagre.

In the test game, Joao will build a city on the pig/clam site if we don't claim it. I'm not sure if Darius will try to do that in the real game, but I will keep an eye on any units crossing the desert. An island city really is better; I actually got a net increase in gold when I founded it in the test game (only +1, but that jumps to +6 or more when we get Currency).

What does everyone think about the possibility of losing the pig/clam site?
Let Darius have it? Just keep a watch for a Settler crossing the desert?

The other problem is that we can't really build a galley in time for that first Settler. Maybe I could reconfigure things to make that work. It wouldn't be easy.

Like the plan, except for the city settlement issue that you raise. If I read your spreadsheet correctly, we will have a wkbt from WPB exploring west for 6 or 7 seven turns before you are scheduling the whipping of a settler. If there turns out to be a good city site to the west (or to the north), how about delaying the settler whip until there's a timely galley available to transport him west (or north). So, suggest you look to see if a galley can be built a little sooner as an option contingent on finding a good off-continent city site.

Letting Darius settle the pig site doesn't seem a particularly undesirable outcome. We will have to take his cities sooner or later, and he can build a road from there to Persia for us, but we do risk his chopping useful trees.

If you're comfortable with pausing just before you whip the settler, then green here.

Like the plan, except for the city settlement issue that you raise. If I read your spreadsheet correctly, we will have a wkbt from WPB exploring west for 6 or 7 seven turns before you are scheduling the whipping of a settler. If there turns out to be a good city site to the west (or to the north), how about delaying the settler whip until there's a timely galley available to transport him west (or north). So, suggest you look to see if a galley can be built a little sooner as an option contingent on finding a good off-continent city site.

Letting Darius settle the pig site doesn't seem a particularly undesirable outcome. We will have to take his cities sooner or later, and he can build a road from there to Persia for us, but we do risk his chopping useful trees.

If you're comfortable with pausing just before you whip the settler, then green here.

The problem.we have with letting that site unsettled may be that darius may continue to have a really high power spike, plus make it much harder for us to then backstab him if he takes that site while on the medieval age and we try to attack him before cannons. So if we don't settle it we may have to schedule taking it when we get to cannons, plus we would lose the change to.blow a.devastating hit to the persians by taking their capital, plus border friction anger from the AI toward us, plus it's power spike. I feel like we should settle it for strategic reasons, as it will easily allow us to directly attack Persepolis and criple darius when we get to steel.

That's not considering that it may chop a couple forests.

2.- every city we settle in this turnset will have to be focussed quite heavily in getting as much coins as possible in the lowest amount of time in order to been able to research our way to cannons as fast as it's possible to us.

Except for that 2 issues, green

Great work ZB.

Last edited:
We may well want to capture Persepolis once we have cats, so backstabbing point well taken. Further reason to pause for discussion before whipping settler.

We may well want to capture Persepolis once we have cats, so backstabbing point well taken. Further reason to pause for discussion before whipping settler.

Agree completly

¿¿¿Each cat can take 2points of those 50% points ??? Just to be sure how many cats we would need.
Or we may only need a couple of cats to directly attack those archers(2-3) and then ~4 DS to take the city???
Some units to defend it will be needed. So a couple of archers should be sended with the backstabbing force.

In case we conquer persepolis,
how could we use it's horses???

Last edited:
Ok, sounds good. I'll stop before the Settler whip on T88 so we can review settling locations. If it becomes critical, we could whip the galley in WPB as early as T89. I just hate to whip WPB because it's a slow grower.

I'll go ahead and get started.

Ok, sounds good. I'll stop before the Settler whip on T88 so we can review settling locations. If it becomes critical, we could whip the galley in WPB as early as T89. I just hate to whip WPB because it's a slow grower.

I'll go ahead and get started.

just was going to tell you that as WPB can grow slowly to get 15 base hammers/T( Wkbt/2T or +1:D garrison /2-3 Ts until Rifles, please don't whip that city.::D:D:D

obviously agree with you zbgayumm.

Turnset Report T77-T88

Here's the uploaded save.

Some points of interest:

• Darius founded Confucianism right away on T78. On T88 he had a missionary spread it to Pine.
  • We ran out of land to the east. Germany is on a separate landmass.
  • One additional island to the north, but we've run out of coast in that direction
  • Island to the west contains a barb city and some subpar looking land
  • No sign yet that Darius is settling in our direction
A couple screenshots of the eastern part of the continent:

Civ4ScreenShot0340.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0341.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0342.JPG

I'll do more screenshots in a second post. That's where we can really get into the placement of our next city.

Buffy Log:
Spoiler :

Logging by BUFFY 3.19.003 (BtS 3.19) ------------------------------------------------
Turn 77/500 (950 BC) [19-Apr-2017 20:51:34]
0% Research: 18 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
100% Gold: 13 per turn, 82 in the bank
After End Turn: Ombú grows to size 3

Turn 78/500 (925 BC) [19-Apr-2017 20:51:35]
100% Research: 60 per turn
0% Gold: -14 per turn, 95 in the bank
After End Turn: Whip anger has decreased in Pine
Other Player Actions: Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 79/500 (900 BC) [19-Apr-2017 20:54:32]
0% Gold: -15 per turn, 81 in the bank
After End Turn: The whip was applied in Ombú
The whip was applied in West Palm Beech
Pine grows to size 6
Ombú's borders expand
Ombú finishes: Work Boat
West Palm Beech finishes: Granary
Other Player Actions: State Religion Change: Darius I (Persia) from 'no State Religion' to 'Confucianism'
Attitude Change: Darius I (Persia) towards Sitting Bull (Native America), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 80/500 (875 BC) [19-Apr-2017 20:56:02]
A Mine was built near West Palm Beech
Pine begins: Settler (13 turns)
0% Gold: -16 per turn, 66 in the bank
After End Turn: Oak finishes: Worker
Pine's borders expand
West Palm Beech finishes: Work Boat
Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Bismarck(Germany) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 81/500 (850 BC) [19-Apr-2017 20:58:03]
A Fishing Boats was built near Ombú
Ombú begins: Work Boat (30 turns)
Oak begins: Warrior (2 turns)
100% Research: 62 per turn
0% Gold: -17 per turn, 50 in the bank
After End Turn: Oak finishes: Warrior
Ombú grows to size 3
West Palm Beech grows to size 2
West Palm Beech's borders expand

Turn 82/500 (825 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:01:09]
100% Research: 62 per turn
0% Gold: -18 per turn, 33 in the bank
After End Turn: Tech research finished: Monarchy
Oak finishes: Dog Soldier

Turn 83/500 (800 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:02:38]
Research begun: Sailing (117 Turns)
Oak begins: Warrior (16 turns)
A Cottage was built near Pine
100% Research: 0 per turn
0% Espionage: 0 per turn
0% Gold: 0 per turn, 15 in the bank
After End Turn: Whip anger has decreased in Ombú
Other Player Actions: Civics Change: Sitting Bull(Native America) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'

Turn 84/500 (775 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:03:35]
A Cottage was built near West Palm Beech
60% Research: 46 per turn
40% Gold: -6 per turn, 15 in the bank
After End Turn: Other Player Actions: Attitude Change: Bismarck (Germany) towards Darius I (Persia), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Darius I (Persia) towards Bismarck (Germany), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 85/500 (750 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:07:35]
60% Research: 46 per turn
40% Gold: -6 per turn, 9 in the bank
After End Turn: Tech research finished: Sailing
Oak finishes: Warrior
Ombú grows to size 4
West Palm Beech finishes: Work Boat

Turn 86/500 (725 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:08:16]
Research begun: Mathematics (7 Turns)
Oak begins: Warrior (2 turns)
West Palm Beech begins: Galley (9 turns)
100% Gold: 15 per turn, 3 in the bank

Turn 87/500 (700 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:11:57]
A Fishing Boats was built near West Palm Beech
100% Gold: 19 per turn, 18 in the bank
After End Turn: The whip was applied in Ombú
Oak finishes: Warrior
Ombú finishes: Work Boat
West Palm Beech grows to size 3
Other Player Actions: Confucianism has spread: Pine

Turn 88/500 (675 BC) [19-Apr-2017 21:13:34]
Oak begins: Dog Soldier (4 turns)
A Cottage was built near West Palm Beech

CFC Log:
Spoiler :

Turn 78, 925 BC: Confucianism has been founded in Pasargadae!

Turn 79, 900 BC: The borders of Ombú have expanded!
Turn 79, 900 BC: You have trained a Work Boat in Ombú. Work has now begun on a Granary.
Turn 79, 900 BC: You have constructed a Granary in West Palm Beech. Work has now begun on a Work Boat.
Turn 79, 900 BC: Darius I converts to Confucianism!

Turn 80, 875 BC: You have trained a Worker in Oak. Work has now begun on a Dog Soldier.
Turn 80, 875 BC: The borders of Pine have expanded!
Turn 80, 875 BC: You have trained a Work Boat in West Palm Beech. Work has now begun on a Work Boat.
Turn 80, 875 BC: Bismarck adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 81, 850 BC: You have trained a Warrior in Oak. Work has now begun on a Dog Soldier.
Turn 81, 850 BC: The borders of West Palm Beech have expanded!

Turn 82, 825 BC: You have discovered Monarchy!

Turn 83, 800 BC: The revolution has begun!!!
Turn 83, 800 BC: Sitting Bull adopts Hereditary Rule!
Turn 83, 800 BC: The anarchy is over! Your government is re-established.

Turn 85, 750 BC: You have discovered Sailing!

Turn 86, 725 BC: Ombú has grown to size 4.
Turn 86, 725 BC: Darius I will trade Horse

Turn 87, 700 BC: Oak can hurry Warrior for 1⇴ with 15ℤ overflow, 21ℴ added to the treasury, and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 87, 700 BC: West Palm Beech will grow to size 3 on the next turn.
Turn 87, 700 BC: You have trained a Work Boat in Ombú. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 87, 700 BC: Confucianism has spread in Pine.
Turn 87, 700 BC: Aretas III (Great Merchant) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 88, 675 BC: West Palm Beech has grown to size 3.

All right, here we go with city sites:

Option #1: Pig/Clam
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0343.JPG

Option #2: Mountain Island
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0344.JPG

Option #3: Elephant/Fish (two possible locations)
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0345.JPG

Option #4: Dye City
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0346.JPG

Option #5: Western Island (East End)
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0347.JPG

Option #6: Western Island (West End)
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0348.JPG

Looking at what's out there, I see #5 and #6 as unimpressive. We'll probably want to settle there eventually, but not now. Similarly, #2 is just a filler city. #4 looks nice and juicy, but we'll need both IW and Calendar to take advantage of it.

So that leaves the pig/clam site and elephant/fish site.

We're already getting 2:commerce: trade routes in every city thanks to trade with Darius, so the bonus of the island city is pretty small until Currency. I do think the island city will get a faster start because our exploring WB will be available to net one fish. Option #1 requires a border pop to get the clam and IW to get the pig.

What's your take on it?

Some quick observations:

We can trade for Persian horses
Workers to mine grass hill in western Ombu
Short odds now that Astro won't be needed
Knowledge of IW and Alpha desperately needed
Tough map
If wkbt#4 can continue west, it should to creat trade route with Germany and obtain circumnavigation.
If wkbt#4 doesn't spot land further west (and should sail 2 tiles south if necessary to be sure), then it needs to scout southern coast of western island.
Western island may have a decent city site that doesn't need iron to develop, depending on possible resources hidden by dark tiles.
Barb city could conceivably be worth having.
Not sure a settler is worth having right now.

Some quick observations:

We can trade for Persian horses
Workers to mine grass hill in western Ombu
Short odds now that Astro won't be needed
Knowledge of IW and Alpha desperately needed
Tough map
If wkbt#4 can continue west, it should to creat trade route with Germany and obtain circumnavigation.
If wkbt#4 doesn't spot land further west (and should sail 2 tiles south if necessary to be sure), then it needs to scout southern coast of western island.
Western island may have a decent city site that doesn't need iron to develop, depending on possible resources hidden by dark tiles.
Barb city could conceivably be worth having.
Not sure a settler is worth having right now.

I noticed the horse trade had become available. Chariots wouldn't do us much good though, so we'd have to go for HBR if we wanted to do something with them. Still, we'll have to see what he'll take in trade. Two health resources wouldn't be bad.

Worker 2 is on his way to that hill

Agreed, we will likely need Astro. Need Optics fairly soon so we can trade techs with more civs.

Do you want Alpha badly enough to research it? Looks like it would take about 9 turns. We could also bulb it after Math is finished, which would be a few turns sooner. I hate to use a bulb on that, though.

Agreed on WB#4. I'm not anticipating a part further west, but we'll check it out.

I could be convinced to switch Pine back to Barracks and let it grow for 4-5 turns. I want to keep the 2-pop whip available on the Settler, though.

I noticed the horse trade had become available. Chariots wouldn't do us much good though, so we'd have to go for HBR if we wanted to do something with them. Still, we'll have to see what he'll take in trade. Two health resources wouldn't be bad.

Worker 2 is on his way to that hill

Agreed, we will likely need Astro. Need Optics fairly soon so we can trade techs with more civs.

Do you want Alpha badly enough to research it? Looks like it would take about 9 turns. We could also bulb it after Math is finished, which would be a few turns sooner. I hate to use a bulb on that, though.

Agreed on WB#4. I'm not anticipating a part further west, but we'll check it out.

I could be convinced to switch Pine back to Barracks and let it grow for 4-5 turns. I want to keep the 2-pop whip available on the Settler, though.

Agree, especially on that about alfa. Feel like the IA is going to get anyway. Then we could just trade for the tech we will need

I noticed the horse trade had become available. Chariots wouldn't do us much good though, so we'd have to go for HBR if we wanted to do something with them. Still, we'll have to see what he'll take in trade. Two health resources wouldn't be bad. Several reasons, none of them powerful, for making horse trade: might keep Bismarck from obtaining horses; chariot would be useful against a barb axe, and we could run into one on the western island, should we find reason to settle there; and having a 2-tile movement unit as a central MP provides otherwise unavailable options, should some unexpected threat arise.

Worker 2 is on his way to that hill Consider sending two workers

Agreed, we will likely need Astro. Need Optics fairly soon so we can trade techs with more civs. True . . . likely going to need it before we have it.

Do you want Alpha badly enough to research it? Perhaps not, but do want the possibility to be weighed. It's certainly not worth it, if it's likely we'll be offered it soon. Looks like it would take about 9 turns. We could also bulb it after Math is finished, which would be a few turns sooner. I hate to use a bulb on that, though. Can't see bulbing it being wise, unless we're unlikely to get it via trade for a while. Is it possible that the AI already have Alpha but are not offering it because, at this level, they won't trade it for Monarchy? If so, then the question is: Can we afford to wait for Currency?

Makes sense.

Top Bottom