[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Home Slices

They really have zero contingency. We always had our culture hijinx to fall back on with +15pts minimum every 2t, but even without that it is surprising how stuck they are crossing the threshold.
Yeah, it's brutal actually. Painful to watch. Burnt popcorn at this point. They cut it too close with their espionage points. Could have put more into eps and far less into tech. THe third era was only 12 points versus all those cultural points available.

For the record, we had 446 points
FYI, we gained 21 points with our last round of culture spread, which means that, with more endgame planning, we could have won 2t sooner (175 AD) without 1 wonder (Sistine).

Edit: xpost

FYI, we gained 21 points with our last round of culture spread, which means that, with more endgame planning, we could have won 2t sooner (175 AD) without 1 wonder (Sistine).

Yeah, we really got lucky in this SG. Should have lost it from our own carelessness. We had plenty of blood left in our rocks. Kind of amazing that we needed the full 4+ months to play 74t.. And we weren't really lagging anywhere either. Kept trucking along the entire time, iirc.

Speaking of blood in our rocks, we also could have somehow figured out how to use Korea's eps too, right?

fyi, I coulda had Sistine and MoM, etc. all by T72. Sooo many forests south of Moscow. I didn't even use a Tao missionary and still chopped Sistine.

Kept trucking along the entire time, iirc.
No, we had about a month with no play. Right after my previous turnset (when it was supposed to be your turn :mischief:)

-----------------------
GPro:
wow, they settled both? What does a GPro give? 5 gold? and 2 hammers?

GPro:
wow, they settled both? What does a GPro give? 5 gold? and 2 hammers?
Maybe they didn't realize that a shrine was a wonder? :hmm: You would think a golden age, or even bulbing Theo would still be better.

Maybe they didn't realize that a shrine was a wonder? :hmm: You would think a golden age, or even bulbing Theo would still be better.
O)mg. That's 8 points right there. Of course, minus all that gold and hammers but when did they settle the second? COuldn't have been too early. And in a 70- turn game, why settle rather than start a GA? Ouch.

Frankly, I think our Tao Shrine was one of our weaker moves. Never really paid off much. Hardly any gold and very little spread. I think that's another rock with blood.

No, I meant they settled the GPro and the Gspy. not 2 GPros.
Ah ha! Okay, that explains their early advantage right there. Hm. Have to think about that one. I don't think it was the right move. I still think beeelining HBR and holding on to the Prophet for an early GA after capturing and growing cities a bit would have been a lot more powerful. WOnders were easy to build later on. The real points left on teh table were a pile of earlier spies, lots more early failgold, and maybe Engineering to get all those spies into position a lot sooner.

If I had to do it over again, I woulda done more failgold (surprise!) to get Engineering (build Notre Dame) maybe another tech with a wonder.
And yes, use the GPro for the GAge and get the 2 artists+2 spies going earlier. Get the full 150,000 culture.
I was never a fan of the shrine, but surely it was a decent move, so I didn't fight it. Woulda been a great move for PR.

If I had to do it over again, I woulda done more failgold (surprise!) to get Engineering (build Notre Dame) maybe another tech with a wonder.
And yes, use the GPro for the GAge and get the 2 artists+2 spies going earlier. Get the full 150,000 culture.
I was never a fan of the shrine, but surely it was a decent move, so I didn't fight it. Woulda been a great move for PR.
Getting lots of early failgold always seems to be a Holy Grail, but if there ever was a scenario, this was it.

Top Bottom