1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Home Slices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jan 13, 2018.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

We will want to move those units in Berlin before they teleport way back towards St.Pete. Unless we want the workers to get a jump back there. I suppose just let them all teleport and use the 2 military for recapture of Berlin and Hamburg.
    Or should they be roading. I'm a bit out of the day-to-day micro.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 4:48 PM
  2. WastinTime

Great work Kait. :goodjob:
    Are you going to continue? If so, I'd like to see the English war plans. I can think of lots of different ways of handling it. Lure the redcoat out + amphibious attack. Or go get the new cat+mace in Yemen and overwhelm him. Thank God for caste!
    I think we definitely want to park a mace this turn on the jungle hill to prevent any redcoats from coming down. If redcoat attacks, fine, but I doubt it.

3. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Turn 62 Real Game Screenshots:

Europe
    Spoiler :

England's Mumbai and Korea
    Spoiler :

Barb Cities
    Spoiler :

Homeland
    Spoiler :

Colony Military (Needed starting T63)
    Spoiler :

Interesting Screenshots
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:11 PM
  4. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I'm really tired out from the last month.
    Can probably play 3 more turns.

English needs testing, but we should be able to overwhelm Mumbai due to Caste ya. :goodjob:
    The earliest he can get back into Slavery is T67, and it would cause 1 turn of Anarchy in his civ.

I'm also wondering if Notre Dame is the best thing for Moscow to build right now.
    5 more Horse Archers might be better than faster Workers.

**Edit**
    Oops, Hagia in Moscow yes

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 9:14 PM
  5. WastinTime

You mean Hagia?
    Yea, we have 20 workers and several more coming. Seems like they're gettin' the job done.

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Right.

A 2nd army from mostly Moscow + St. Petersburg might be able to conquer Ottomans (No Iron, No Feudalism, no Gunpowder) and make it down to that new Roman City.
    Spoiler :

It would take a lot of pressure off our main army.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:12 PM
  7. WastinTime

Here's my current England plan:

62:

Sword (not axe): amphibiously kills scout
    Axe: moves next to York on hill (gets there early to get extra fortify bonus)
    Mace+GG unload on Horse
    Other Mace: transfers to Galley with Choko
    Choko (make sure you got the Mace transfer) : unloads at York-1N on junglehill
    The 4 units in the BFC will easily freeze the redcoat for now.
    The empty galley (used to have a mace) : sails towards Yemen
    Whip mace in Yemen, (not cat) + chop completes

63:
    Yemen can probably make a 2nd mace with overflow, yes? if not, finish the cat
    Pillage Horse
    Unload 2nd mace on Horse
    Sail towards Yemen
    Choko heals
    Sword can heal if it took dmg after the scout attack.
    axe fortifies
    Attach GG to 2 maces (10xp each for CRIII)

64:
    Board 2 units from Yemen
    Board 2 maces
    Board Choko and Sword
    Axe forties as a lure.

T65: see how much damage the redcoat takes attacking our axe and then decide how to proceed. Possibly amphibious, probably not.

Or Plan B:
    We don't move everyone to boats and don't sacrifice the Axe.
    We just roll the dice on the fortified CG1 Redcoat.

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I think this would get Axe killed between Turn 62 and Turn 63 wouldn't it?

This is the one war tactic I never really got the hang of. :bounce:
    Duckweed mentioned it a lot.

Is there some generally understood rule to get defenders frozen in a city?

I think you are saying moving the other units out of the way will unfreeze the Redcoat on T64?
    Allowing a very large and surely successful amphibious assault the following turn?
    That sounds pretty good. :)
    Yes, 2 Maces should be possible to produce back to back in Yemen.
    That might be just what we need to completely overwhelm York utterly.

I will try to replicate the war situation in a test game with random seed and see how often the Redcoat attacks tonight.

The main variables will be if Mumbai can send down reinforcements, or if York works an Artist to pop borders and increases defenses 20%.

9. WastinTime

I think if you have 2 units you'll freeze 2 defenders. Tho I've never really tested the boundaries. I just usually do overkill. (like the 4 units I suggested above.)

I'm sure he will run an artist and get 20% borders. The price we pay for caste. At least it's not an additional redcoat.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 3:38 PM
  10. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Ok, I really like that England attack plan. :D

City Raider III gives an extra 10% attack vs. Gunpowder units.
    And the Choko gets decent odds to do a chip or two of damage vs. the Redcoat thanks to all the first strikes.

All my tests show York being overwhelmed by the 4 Maces, Choko, Sword, and Axe.

We can even sail over 2 Catapults from Gua starting T65 and start putting the screws on Mumbai too.

The odds of Redcoat moving out of York to kill bait, or the Longbow being upgraded to Redcoat didn't seem to be very high for some reason. Hmm.

Also, failure is not the end of the world like with Japan.
    If England completely stomps us, we can still win the game in good time.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 11:02 PM
  11. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

When do we want to complete the AP?
    As soon as it is completed, there is a vote for leader, then 10 turns later there is a vote for Diplo Win, then victory screen the turn after.
    So like Bbp said, 12 turns after it gets built the game can end.

Do we want to complete AP at the end of T64 for T75 Diplo vote and T76 Victory screen?
    Hedge our bets and try for T77 Diplo vote and T78 Victory screen?

I feel pretty confident we can get Conquest T75 with enough points for T76 Victory screen with no AP input.
    So I'd want the AP Diplo vote to occur T77 because I'm 100% sure we will have enough points to win the game then thanks to 1 extra colony worth of :espionage: to use.

That way if we miss conquest win T75, we can give away and whip cities T76 in preparation for AP vote.
    Then T77 do 1 more round of spy stuff to get 100 points, do the vote, and win the game T78.

12. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Also, the window to flip Rome to Caste has passed. :sad:
    There are numerous reasons we have to switch to Slavery now, so a Caste flip next turn just isn't in the cards.

13. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain GOTM Staff

Presumably if we can win by conquest on T75, we could also delay it by a couple of turns. So, a religious win is a contingency in case something goes really wrong with conquest (i.e. we can't vassal one of the AIs for an unforeseen reason). I like going 2t later, since it only recurs once every 10t...

Or does it? Can we manipulate it so that there is no resolution possible at 10t, and start a 1t resolution timer on T75 if we need to? I don't have enough experience with the AP to know this. Edit: I guess if we are at war, there would be a resolution possible. Or something with all the city gifting we're doing.

14. Mitchum

Mitchum Chieftain

Checking in. Has the game started yet? Anyone have a test save I can play with?? ;)

Sorry for my absence, guys. Things haven't slowed down for me in RL. I'm in Spain this week for work but had some down time so I caught up on the last 60 posts or so. It looks like you're doing a great job, Kait.

I'm trying to figure out how I can contribute with the limited time I have. It doesn't sound like this would be a game to jump in and start playing turns without quite a bit of work to get caught up on the micro and the macro. Any ideas?

15. WastinTime

So does this mean you're not going to try the lure or you're just not expecting him to take the bait? Cus in that case, you can probably take the city 1 turn sooner (T65). You won't have 4 maces tho. The 2nd one from Yemen can't attack til 66. In the lure plan, you might amphibiously take the city T65, but it might make more sense to unload T65 and take the city T66 without the amphib penalty-- and with all 4 maces available.

16. WastinTime

Hey Mitchum, Simlulating the little England war at York would be a good idea, but it sounds like Kait may have already tested and selected a war plan.

You could look ahead to Mumbai. Figure 2 redcoats, maybe 3?
    We'd probably use the bomber on that city...or at least it would be good to know if it is a must-have there.
    Then again, I believe we were considering leaving the city alone. Cap him without the losses we'd take there.

Back to thoughts on York, Instead of razing it, we should keep this city and gift it. If we did take it amphibiously on T65, we could sail in and pick up our unit. Gift the city and the redcoat that we lured out won't be able to retaliate or recapture. But it would wander back to Mumbai. Maybe we are just better off without luring it out.

17. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

If we finish AP asap, can't we control the vote at the end by not gifting Tao citis to anyone till we want the vote to occur? If no vote can occur, then it comes up again the next turn for 4 tries, and then the leader vote again, right? So that would give us several turns to choose from.

18. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Well, we will be at war with Korea every other turn starting next turn because it takes 1 turn to talk peace.

We will also be at war trying to kill and vassal other AI.

Won't "stop the war" come up?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 11:18 PM
  19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

I'm not sure, not being an AP expert, but I thought that there are no votes if only one player has the AP religion.