[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Map Maker needed

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
Hi, these are just my thoughts; we haven't discussed in staff forum.

Although, participation in Civ4 xotm is down across the board - I think there is still enough interest to continue running the succession games.

Having a scenario and map is the pacing requirement for hosting the next game.

as far as I know, none of the previous sg map makers are available at this time.

So, this is a call for
  • volunteer(s) to create SGOTM25
  • your thoughts about SGOTM25 (if, when, what, ...)
:ar15:

I volunteer to create SGOTM25.

Thanks for volunteering Sossos.
I'm sure you have a good map idea already.

My ideas for maps tend to be terrible and cruel (barbs with stealth destroyers), but how about a freedom-themed map?

Player starts with Lincoln of the Vikings, a settled capital with a Bank + Wall Street, on an island somewhere.
Slavery is banned.
No slavery ever.
If you want good troops: build mines (gasp!), chop forests (serfdom?), upgrade older troops with gold (Wall Street), rush buy if you can run Universal Suffrage (use Great Merchant gold), draft, build some workshops...

First team to win the game while having the Versaille, Statue of Liberty, and the Eiffel Tower World Wonders gets the Gold Laurels.

Has GOTM ever done a no-Slavery civic game before?
Did it implode?
Was it fun?

Last edited:
Great :)

One of the best ideas for 24 was (almost) no chopping cos of forest preserves.

I think banning slavery would result in all teams using Caste, and not bring much strategic value.
One of the bigger tasks in most sgotm games is fine tuning gp generation vs. slavery.

My ideas for maps tend to be terrible and cruel (barbs with stealth destroyers), but how about a freedom-themed map?
I always liked the idea of some nice fish lake tiles next to the capital with a barb submarine beneath the surface. :devil:

Imo, the scenario should be as simple to administer as possible. Any special rules would be enforceable within the interface as is. For example, no workers built, well the interface shows how many workers built. Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure how you'd enforce no slavery without a whole lotta digging. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Would be easy enough to check with logs I suppose? At least if revolting to slavery itself were to be banned. Identifying whips would be more tricky.

I've thought about a scenario where you/all start with a civic, for instance emancipation. Not sure if it would be fun or challenging though. Could also just go with a bog standard game, without many hoops to jump through.

I always liked the idea of some nice fish lake tiles next to the capital with a barb submarine beneath the surface. :devil:

Imo, the scenario should be as simple to administer as possible. Any special rules would be enforceable within the interface as is. For example, no workers built, well the interface shows how many workers built. Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure how you'd enforce no slavery without a whole lotta digging. Maybe I'm wrong though...

The player log records civic changes.
Control + F and a quick search for Slavery lets one quickly see when a player switches into Slavery.

I'm not sure how the Hall of Fame extracts the player log and makes it into such a nice list of info on the forums though. :hmm:

Ah, barb submarines. :)
Part of my dream to make coastal Forts happen.
Angry players would burn us at the stake.

Would be easy enough to check with logs I suppose? At least if revolting to slavery itself were to be banned. Identifying whips would be more tricky.

I've thought about a scenario where you/all start with a civic, for instance emancipation. Not sure if it would be fun or challenging though. Could also just go with a bog standard game, without many hoops to jump through.

Ya, whatever is the most fun.
A more standard game might lure in newer people who get intimidated by 5 or 6 game requirements.
Spoiler :
Maybe put in a handicap?

Gold Laurel team starts on Turn 20.
Silver Laurel team starts on Turn 10.
Bronze Laurel team starts on Turn 5.

Bwahaha

Last edited:
I'm thrilled sossos volunteered.
Let's continue to use this thread to discuss the scenario.
Whatever sossos decides - did you have something in mind?
Once scenario determined, we can start signups.

The player log records civic changes.
Control + F and a quick search for Slavery lets one quickly see when a player switches into Slavery.

I'm not sure how the Hall of Fame extracts the player log and makes it into such a nice list of info on the forums though. :hmm:

Ah, barb submarines. :)
Part of my dream to make coastal Forts happen.
Angry players would burn us at the stake.

Ya, whatever is the most fun.
A more standard game might lure in newer people who get intimidated by 5 or 6 game requirements.
Spoiler :
Maybe put in a handicap?

Gold Laurel team starts on Turn 20.
Silver Laurel team starts on Turn 10.
Bronze Laurel team starts on Turn 5.

Bwahaha
Sure, if it can be simply automated. Above my pay grade.

To be really evil, I might have pre-settled the capital and given it a lh too. :lol:

I've thought about a scenario where you/all start with a civic, for instance emancipation.
This would be a good way to say 'no slavery' without actually enforcing it or checking the logs. No one would survive the unhappiness with all the AI in Emancipation.

I've always wondered if it would be fun to play 'advanced start'. That's never allowed in HoF games. It might be an interesting discussion on how to spend starting points.

This would be a good way to say 'no slavery' without actually enforcing it or checking the logs. No one would survive the unhappiness with all the AI in Emancipation.

I've always wondered if it would be fun to play 'advanced start'. That's never allowed in HoF games. It might be an interesting discussion on how to spend starting points.
SG10 was one. Murky Waters played an amazing game, imo second best fastest finish ever, with SG2 being the best finish ever. It was a lot of fun.

Ofc, the HOF challenge games have had advanced starts too.

Ofc, the HOF challenge games have had advanced starts too.

No, advanced starts are not allowed. You're thinking of non-ancient starting Eras.

I'm talking about the advanced start where you get to spend points before the game starts to have extra worker, settler or granary, etc.
At least I think that's how it works, I think I tried it once 5+ years ago.

Yea, I just tried it, you can also buy improved tiles, research, units, population, visibility of tiles, etc.
It would be fun with a lot of points to spend and mapmaker can set how many points.

Remember trying that ages ago, but it was a bit confusing so I quickly tossed it away in favour of normal games. An option like this would probably be a nightmare to test though, particularly with lots of points, with all the possible permutations. Some creative player-team, like oh... I don't know.. :D will come up with some fancy tricks the mapmaker didn't think about.

particularly with lots of points, with all the possible permutations. Some creative player-team, like oh... I don't know.. :D will come up with some fancy tricks the mapmaker didn't think about.

Yea, that sounds like the mission statement for SGs :thumbsup:
If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about (LC), start a single player, custom game. The very first option is 'Advanced Start' . A bit off to the right is the starting points (720) on normal speed, noble level--which you can edit. Start the game and play around with it.

Top Bottom