1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 25 - Map Maker needed

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by Deckhand, Jun 17, 2017.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all either...completely not true.

And NZ is right, it is just the mention of Deity that will scare away players. This is not about trusting the mapmaker...it's just common sense. SGOTMs are supposed to be inclusive, not elitist. It's much better to use a reasonable difficulty level and make the map and environment more challenging, and interesting, rather than use Deity as the base and cook around it, cause Deity still presents so many challenges and unknowns that many less experienced players can't begin to fathom. Matters little to me, but I"m failing to understand why an SGOTM has to be on Deity level.

Also, gathering from bits I'm reading, I've got other concerns.

I think it important that a "mapmaker" understands his/her "audience".

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    NobleZarkon likes this.
  2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

If the idea is to start at deity but remove the extra settler/workers plus units that would spice up the games. Albeit happiness would be a limitation early on. Agree with others. There are other ways to speed up Ai tech speed. Free resources. Extra worked farm or resource at start.

People want a fun and interesting map. Come up with a good idea and keep the basics simple.

Starting a different era could be interesting.

3. sossos

sossos Chieftain

I wonder whether there're still NEW civ 4 players who are interested in a game lasting several months, but the concern of difficulty level is still valid.
    Because no SINGLE player can represent the WHOLE subset of players who may be interested in SGOTM, I prefer to providing 3 options: deity, immortal and emperor, with different starting bonus. Players can choose difficulty level based on the starting area, starting bonus and the winning condition.

4. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

@sossos, It could help to focus this discussion if you shared part of what will be in the announcement.
    What have you decided and what is still under consideration?
    What is the theme and challenges of the game?
    Spoiler :
    for sgotm24, Zhary had three possible themes/maps in mind; he shared these (I forget at the moment whether in discussion thread or email with staff) and one was selected.

edit - cross post with sossos

5. sossos

sossos Chieftain

@Deckhand

I've submitted WB save for testing in the design forum. The draft scenario description is also done.
    It might be better to have multiple map makers, so we can choose themes for SGOTM 25.

6. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

I'm still working up to winning at Immortal, but I'm interested in a SGOTM for any team that would have me. with a team, I'd be okay with playing at any level, but if I'm being honest, it's hard to break into this group, because the games are so long and i don't want to be the one to mess up some team's game.

7. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Mistakes happen. I think it was SGOTM12 in which I accidentally gifted Gandhi our third city. We still beat the Ducks by a turn. ;)

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

And in the last SGOTM, one of the teams accidentally declared war on 2-3 other civs.