[BTS] SGOTM 27 interest.

Joking aside. A draft system could be fun. Key thing is all teams want 4-5 active players at end of game. So 6-7 players would help.

I think last game some teams suffered as they had 2-3 active players near the end. Where PR and HS core players stayed around.

So sometime in 2050 for the new rules? :mischief:

We'll be happy to help to help you with any of the big words on next game description that you might not understand. Such as extinct and scarce.
There’s no doubt that you guys have been ahead by the mid-game more or less something like five games in a row…

As long as you guys don’t come up with another game-altering gambit, it should be a good match.

Give me the first turnset and I'll totally tank those OP teams. "drew.... why do we not have a 2nd city yet.... wait drew why do we have TGW?!?"

Lol, I don't know if it even is technically possible - but would be fun to mandatory switch teams to AI for a couple turns - I mean fun to lurkers like me, not devoted players I guess .

Jokes aside: I love SGOTMs, I even tentatively signed up for the previous one before realizing I cannot play on Mac ;(. Anyway, love the as a lurker, especially enjoying unusual scenarios and requirement and seeing how teams are dealing with them. And math and high-level knowledge of civ and its quirks and algos. Hope that this will happen.

Put bootcamp on your Mac and play the windows version.
Thanks for the tip, never tried it. Maybe when I have more time and energy, I remember civ was easier to automated when played on windows. Otoh, I tried one of the early Win emulators on Mac and it was super inconvenient but that was a looong time ago

No news from @Noble Zarkon or @AlanH.

Do we give them another week or so? It is first week of a new year. If they are unable to help we will need a map maker and plan how this might work.

I know many would love the distraction and challenge of a new game. There would have to be a big element of trust if saves had to be loaded to forum.

Let's just wait and see.
AlanH has just updated Civ3 gotm, so I have good hopes.

Last edited:
No news from @Noble Zarkon or @AlanH.

Do we give them another week or so? It is first week of a new year. If they are unable to help we will need a map maker and plan how this might work.

I know many would love the distraction and challenge of a new game. There would have to be a big element of trust if saves had to be loaded to forum.

I would not say that "big" amount of trust is needed. Anyone still playing civ4 is doing it for love of the game. It will be a friendly competition.

Give me the first turnset and I'll totally tank those OP teams. "drew.... why do we not have a 2nd city yet.... wait drew why do we have TGW?!?"
Next chance I get to make a map your imba tactics shall be nerfed :evil:
:rotfl:

I think a map maker is next stage here as no response from the power that be here. Do we know any good map makers who would be happy to make a map? Once this and scenario prepared we can think about where to house the next game.

Why not a normal game on a normal map?! this would be even more helpful to us, lesser fanatics, that look up from below...

We want teams to have fun but avoid anything that would kill off the game in first 50-100 turns. E.g barbs, bad barb city spawn, random resources appearing, AI randomly building wonders super early. Map will need some editing and some play testing by someone to ensure nothing silly happens.

There should always be a story on SGOTM maps. Something interesting but fun. A mix of normal culture would be good. Or a city that can only get legendary culture status from great artists. Little things to spice things up but also make it about the best team strategy and micro. Other conditions too to stop early AD conquest wins. We have waited so long we want the right game with good design. Hopefully avoid anything too silly and a game that all teams can win which is quite important.

I do have several ideas in mind for your map-playing pleasure (and suffering too).

I did participate to the creation of SGOTM 18, which I reckon was a little too silly (@Gumbolt was it your team that got invaded by barb rifles at some point ? :lol:)
I can try and assemble something (maybe co-work with another volunteer) if there's a wish :high5:

I do have several ideas in mind for your map-playing pleasure (and suffering too).

I did participate to the creation of SGOTM 18, which I reckon was a little too silly (@Gumbolt was it your team that got invaded by barb rifles at some point ? :lol:)
I can try and assemble something (maybe co-work with another volunteer) if there's a wish :high5:

Yes Goldmember became a runaway AI. He took down Indians just before 1ad capturing 3 cities. Then marched on JoaII and Mansa too. At that point our save almost became mission impossible as you had a runaway Ai who could take down entire map. In mean time we were fighting off a very strong Mongol AI who eventually got phants. Then Mansa who had longbows super early. Around 1190ad we took out a 37 strong stack of Goldmemeber just before he auto upgraded most of his units to rifles. When you are playing immortal and the AI has rifles by 1200ad you know you hit a major problem! We took them down eventually or nerfed him to point where we could defend our borders. He was also forced into a war with Dr Evil due to AP which helped us. Killed 71 rifles come end of game. Wonder how many turns this runaway AI cost us? Dr Evil was walk in park compared to him.

Fun map for all the wrong reasons. We were the only save where Goldmember managed to take down the Indians. Which is what we kind of want to avoid on next game as an event like that would be game changing. Bit like the Toku map where OSS faced a stack of Redcoats. Many teams failed that map it was so hard!

Top Bottom