SGOTM2 Germany - Team Alamo

AFAIK, you do get one turn before disorder, the turn the new citizen is added. Therefore, you must scan the F1 screen at the end of every turn. If you use the mood badges, this task becomes MUCH easier.

If no preferences are set for the governer, the new citizen will be added to the most productive square. Productive=food+shields+commerce. We may have the governor still set to "emphasize production", which would put it on the best shield square. If there are no free tiles, the new citizen becomes an entertainer.

Can anyone confirm these things?

Sesn, everything you just said is correct AFAIK. The governor was not on during my turns. I think the main turn that Shoe got riots was when the HG went obsolete. That is a tough turn to manage: either you have to "prep" the cities on the turn before, or when you get steam power you have to scroll through every single city and fix them. The same thing can happen on a turn that a luxury agreement ends. I think most of those riots were in tiny corrupt cities, so not big deals.

When I check F1 at the end of each turn, I usually sort the cities by population. It helps some, but I will have to try out the mood badges. Which one do you use Sesn?

Originally posted by Alamo:
Sorry, SensOfWthr, you get the end-of-GA frown first off.

Actually, I think you will be presented with the big :( on your first turn Alamo.

The thread for the mood badges is HERE.

Be sure to scroll down to the 8th post or so for a C3C version, if applicable.

HTH.

Oh, yeah, GA is 20 turns - I will get the big frown. Hopefully most core towns will have RR by then.

Those mood badges are great. The F1 screen should have a big blinking red dot for cities out of balance!

So these are the priorities?

1) Win as early as possible (rush to modern age, take UN, stack the vote)
2) Make our population happy
3) Get more people
4) Increase the land under our control

We should have unit-building capacity by my turn. Do we build cav, inf, or wait for tanks?

Some cav, primarily as a deterrent then wait for panzers.

I like the priorities and agree with Sesn on primarily Panzers.

However, we need to make sure there is no doubt who the second strongest civ is. If Japan and China run neck and neck, we may have to build Cavalry to "prune" one of them. My girlfriend just finished a game in which it looked like Germany was the strongest, but the other candidate in the vote turned out to be the Zulu. This led to stalemates in the UN vote for hundreds of years. That would be a disaster for us.

Unless something changes, Japan is more powerful and more populous than China. If we really want to, we could use MapStat to find out how much land each has exactly.

Shoe35 said:
good point, as a side note China is now at war with Japan, and has MPP with Russia and I believe England.

Then I suppose we could build some cavs, and perhaps prune two for the price of one?

I think that leaving only one large civ is the way to go, because if we prune the others soon enough, there will be no doubt about who is building the UN. Especially if the other civs have nothing to trade to get to fission and be able to build the UN, even with a MGL.

I agree in part with Sesn's proposal. Using cavs to prune all civs except one is a fine plan, and if China gets stronger it is the only safe plan. The increased territory would also increase our score.

I have one delimma though: If a civ that is the third most powerful civ (or less) builds the UN, are they a candidate in the vote?

I don't think they are. I recall games where a weak civ built the UN and they never held a vote. I am presuming this was because that civ knew it would not be a candidate. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think that is the way it works. And it is a very important distinction.

If a weak AI that builds the UN is not a candidate in the vote (need a team opinion on that!), here is my proposed strategy:

Make sure Japan does well in their war so we do not need to worry about China. We can even help them a little by gifting them a few workers, some techs and a bit of money--although this may not be necessary at all. There is no doubt that we can make China and India vote for us since we have not been at war with them. France and England on the other hand, will quite likely abstain in a vote no matter what we do. If possible, I think we should leave China alone and put France and England out of the game. That way a UN vote could go something like this:

3 votes for us (Germany, India, China)
1 abstention (Russia)
1 vote for Japan (Japan)

I am much more comfortable with that scenario, than with a free-for-all vote that could result from having 5 civs we have attacked voting (France, England, Russia, Japan, China). Not only would it be expensive to keep them all at war with our primary foe (probably Japan), but most of them would likely abstain even if we timed the dogpile perfectly.

Therefore my plan would be: 1) eliminate France and England with Cavalry, 2) make real nice with China, India and Russia, 3) Help Japan economically if they need it in their war with China (gifted workers might even help them build the UN faster).

This way we would not need to time a dogpile. We will be fine if a vote is held, because we will have been at peace with the voting civs, and they will have been at war with one another (they already are).

One final note to this ridiculously long post: Regardless of our strategy, we should start building our force of boats in the cities that can build them.

Any civ who builds the UN automatically gets a free nomination, IIRC. That's why I was thinking of "pruning" well before that, so that we could gift one civ Fission (Japan) and no one else would have the tech to build ther UN. Preferably, we would want to be 3 or 4 techs ahead at that point, so that no one else can even buy the appropriate tech, especially if they only have a few cities.

Yep, builder gets name in the hat, which is why there can be 3 candidates.

I'm not too woried about Liz and Joan. They will be annoyed at best, but the old diplo dogpile will do as long as we don't loose the first vote. We definitely need them MPP'd into war vs the builder.

I just finished a game where I was pretty rough with 3 civs and still won diplo via the dogpile. I even had to make a MPP and wait to be attacked to get one civ to declare against my competitor instead of me.

BTW, classic GOTM32 is out. That is another reason I may be slightly delayed on my next turn.

Building boats is a good idea.

Ok, then it is Sesn's war path for sure. Queue up the cavalry!

I am playing the new COTM1 for this month instead of the GOTM. It is by far one of the best games I have ever played and hopefully I will place high. I drew a one turn anarchy this game for a Republic in 1100 BC. :D

I guess SesnOfWthr is playing classic GOTM32, as am I. I should be finished in another day, though.

I seem to always wind up shooting for the diplo victory. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Oops, did I ever post a "got it"? Here it is at any rate. BTW, I have never played GOTM, but I hope to try COTM2 when a couple more of my SG's end. :)

Well, that’s a nice sight – all of our larger cities are mostly happy faces. Rush a couple markets to make it all happy faces.

Cavs and boats and RR’s, right?

1255 ad (1) – We get another palace expansion, only 1 left. I imagine most of my turns will include many builds and a lot of railroading. So forgive me if I don’t detail everything.

1260 ad (2) – The three big civs each come asking for a RoP. Unfortunately, none of them make it worth our while.

1265 ad (3) – China and japan make peace. Start rounding up cavs, staging them north of Berlin.

1270 ad (4) – Electricity comes in. Start SM in 4 at +462gpt.

1275 ad (5) – China and japan decide peace is boring. France completes Magellans. We’ve got about 20 cavs available right now.

1280 ad (6) – Nothing noteworthy ….

1285 ad (7) - :wallbash: Just realized I haven’t been giving extra attention to York, the IW city. Sorry guys. :sad: Our silks trade ended IT, so I renew it using Electricity, get silks, 205g, WM, 69 gpt and a worker. I don’t know how to calculate “market value”, so maybe someone can elighten me. Also ship japan some saltpeter for 45g, WM, and 46 gpt.

1290 ad (8) – Palace prebuild in Canterbury is perfect as ToE will come in next turn with about 10 shields still needed. Turn science off and set for AT. We’ll gain 1205g this turn.

1295 ad (9) – ToE comes in, getting us up to Hoover’s. Rush a few builds here and there.

1300 ad (10) – Nothing big. Start Hoover’s build in Berlin. We may want to consider swapping builds with Leipzig (US).

Well Alamo, you may get the frown first off, but I did leave you a couple grand in the bank to play with.

We have about 30 cav outside Berlin, and 7 or 8 galleys outside 52_Naumbaug.

Short post, great turns Sesn! I agree on switching Suffrage to Hoover. If we make taking a few luxuries a first priority when we declare war on the other continent, WW shouldn't be much of an issue.

How are we on boats? Would it be a good investment to use some of our cash to rush build them? It would be nice to have a navy on both sides of our continent.

France completed Magellans?!? [dance]

I didn't expect that one. My vote goes to reducing France to OCC before attacking the other continent!

@Alamo = I can't believe you will be finished with the GOTM in another day. The speed at which you play is infathomable to me. And here I was pleased that I might finish mine in two and half weeks... :rolleyes:

We have 7 or 8 galleons ready and waiting. Started building a couple clads for protection. I rushed a couple galleons every two or three turns, also rushing harbors in those corrupt coastal towns. We have few, if any, boats on the western side of the continent. I figured if we hit India/China right between their two nations, we can get silk and dyes.

I didn't expect France to get Magellans either, they built it in a poorly developed size 6 town no less! Would be nice to have before we start shipping units across....

York completed IW, and will have factory in 4, I think. IIRC, it was making some 54 shields, so factory + hydro should put it around 108 shields, right? And not all appropriate squares are RRed there either. I could see 125+ spt from the city. Convenient placing too, as I believe it's first ring of the FP, and I saw minimal corruption.

Top Bottom