SGOTM2 Germany - Team Alamo

Hi Team,

I just read through the thread. On Armies, no free pillage, no extra move. In general, it is always better to rush a wonder if one is available.

The worker as the third unit was a tough decision, but this is why I suggested it: when you have to chop or work in hills, it will generally improve the development time. It starts to pay off around turn 40. If our explorers happen to spot a food bonus nearby for a second city though, it would be better to spit out one settler before the granary (instead of the worker).

I do have a question. I always play emperor or diety, and this is monarch, so I am thinking lots of explorers might be able to get us goodies from huts. Is that true on monarch level?

Yes, definitely! There should be plenty of goodie huts with raging hoardes, too. It may be worth an extra warrior or two, especially if there are no darn scouts nearby.

I will send shoe35 a PM shortly.

Well, that being the case, having more explorers may outweigh getting the granary at the earliest possible date.

So do you guys want to go for the sponsored variant, or are we just going to kick some AI booty?

Yes, the first player may have a tough call on the granary. If the first two warriors do not encounter an explorer (or one falls to angry barbs from a hut) then more warriors may be needed.

The variant is only worth bragging rights, so I have no strong preference. We could keep our options open until mid-industrial age, with a good rep.

I prefer variants, when possible, in my SG's, as not only does it make it more interesting, it helps me remember more of the specifics of the particular game.

Personally, I only seem to get "goodies" about 20% of the time. However, I haven't played much Monarch lately either, with the exception of SG's. Therefore my perception may be wacky.

BTW - one team has already posted scores. I'm not sure what can be inferred from them, but thought I'd point it out.

Also, was the RCP thing a generalized discussion, or a strat we may want to employ?

In my opinion RCP is vital on PTW. It makes a huge difference in the game. I would say the only question for us will be whether we want RCP 3, 4 or 5, and that should be based on terrain features and the distance of the AI. I would suspect we will want RCP 4 or 5 since this is Monarch level. We will probably have a good bit of breathing room.

Are we playing by the RBCiv rules? Ie, no building our palace in a remote location and all of that?

Here is an example of the RCP variant I prefer to use. (Yes, I know one of the pink dots is misaligned, oops) This gives us rings of 3, 4.5, 6, and 7.5. The two biggest drawbacks to RCP are the rigidity of the placement, and the corruption jump from one ring to the next. The first can't be helped, but this alleviates some of the second. You'll see each ring has four cities until you get to distance 7.5, where you have eight. Of course it could be done with rings of 4, 6, 8, and 10 as well.

I don't know if we're actually using RBC rules, but I would imagine the palace jump technique is not allowed. I would guess that we are using GOTM type of rules, but now I'm not sure ......

Thats kind of interesting. I personally like to have 6 cities at rank 1 rather than 4 at rank 1 and 4 at rank 5. But if the terrain lays out the right way (extrmely good terrain in outer radius of your second ring), this could be a very powerful layout.

We rented the Roy Jones fight tonight, so I will check in with you guys in the morning. If someone takes the first turn, good luck! If not, I will be happy to take them tomorrow if no one else wants them.

In any case, if anyone has a question in the middle of your turns, don't hesitate to stop and ask questions!

Later,

Brad

SesnOfWthr You can go ahead and start us off if you're still awake. You get 20 turns to 3000BC. I haven't heard from shoe35 yet, but half the weekend is over. Feel free to stop at any time and post if you want some feedback.

The SGOTM ettiquette rules are in the Rules - Post a "got it" within 24hrs and post a new save within 72hrs. We will use the times in this thread as official time.

I assume we are using GOTM rules - palace jump, RCP, anarchy re-roll allowed, worker pop-rushing and out-of-bounds palace not allowed. I'll read through the rules thread to be sure.

Goodie hut reward ratio is small, but every hut popped is one less for the others.

Looks good, I'll dive in right now. :)

GOT IT

Well, here’s to swimming with bow-legged women. :beer:

4000 bc (0) – As discussed, I move the worker south. I see a lot of jungle suddenly. I sit and stare at the screen for a bit before I decide we’re good where we are. Suddenly very glad I didn’t move, I see a wheat 2 tiles NW, and a game 1 E, 1SE. :D Start warrior in 5, sci at 100% gets us pottery in 14.

3950 bc (1) – Send settler towards eastern BG.

3900 bc (2) – Zzzzz

3850 bc (3) – start mine.

3800 bc (4) – Zzzzz

3750 bc (5) – warrior -> warrior. Send him west.

3700 bc (6) – See some plains to the west.

3650 bc (7) – Zzzzz

3600 bc (8) – Zzzzz

3550 bc (9) – Finish mine, start road.

3500 bc (10) – warrior -> worker. Send this one east.

3450 bc (11) – Lot of jungle south, and mountains west. We have spices just outside our southern borders.

3400 bc (12) – worker - > barracks (granary). Find a small lake due west.

3350 bc (13) – We get pottery, start on IW in 32 at 100%. I figure at least it’s a second tier tech.

3300 bc (14) – Have still seen no huts or explorers.

3250 bc (15) – Zzzzz

3200 bc (16) – I might see the eastern coast ….

3150 bc (17) – we did indeed find the coast, about 8 tiles east.

3100 bc (18) – Zzzzz

3050 bc (19) – Zzzzz

3000 bc (20) – More of the same …

Quick recap: Granary in 7. We have Pottery, 18 left on IW. The workers will finish in two turns. In game score: 67.

>>>SAVE<<<

BTW - should we be using a different name for the uploads, or do we not care if people are looking?

A screenie:

OK, two more things:

First, of the four submissions so far, we're already last.

Second, I'm having trouble submitting the save. I get this error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/virtual/site7/fst/var/www/html/BabyBeast/CivFile.php on line 136

Anyone know what that means?

Guys - Just a heads up. Don't worry about Shoe - he was very reliable in my team last time round. Some people find it difficult to get on the net at the weekend.

Looking good! Nice call on the settler move. No scouts - good! :) No huts yet!? :(

Looks like we have lots of nice spots to settle, though the mountains may make RCP problematic. Looks like a radius 5 will fit, so far.

Those warriors need to start a beeline for the hinterlands to make first contact. No minimap so I'm not sure which direction.

A great start, SesnOfWthr.

About that...

Name on the upload - I don't think it matters for the upload form, since it probably gets renamed.

Submit error - hopefully a temporary problem. Report it on the maintenance thread if you are unable to upload. You can always do a normal upload and post it here (name like Alamo_SG002_3000BC_02.SAV, I guess).

Low score - probably because we built a worker so pop lower, and others may have more warriors. Not a big concern, yet.

Edit: I finally noticed the save file SensOfWthr posted above. I cannot open it. My guess is there is a version/mod issue. Error says:

Scenario Invalid Could not open scenario file. The file may be corrupt.

SesnOfWthr said:
OK, two more things:

First, of the four submissions so far, we're already last.

Second, I'm having trouble submitting the save. I get this error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/virtual/site7/fst/var/www/html/BabyBeast/CivFile.php on line 136

Anyone know what that means?

Mad-bax pointed me at this post. I'm only interested in your upload problem and haven't looked at the rest of your thread, honest! Please can you upload your failing save using the Upload file option and PM a link to me? I'll investigate and fix whatever has failed as a matter of urgency.

Thanks.

I have sent the appropriate PM to AlanH. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Does anyone know if there is a particular procedure for loading PTW games using the C3C disc? It is impossible to launch PTW directly, so I just loaded it using C3C. When I checked the civilopedia, there were no entries for volcanos, and philo was an empty tech (two fo the changes for C3C). Am I missing something?

EDIT: I have various graphical mods with Conquests, but have never had a problem in another SG. I have not modded the rules.

You can play PTW from the desktop using this shortcut.

Then you will get this splash screen with 1.27f shown in the bottom left hand corner.

If you get the Conquests splash - as my wife would say - you're doing it all wrong ;)

@MB - I have tried launching PTW before and always got the error "Please insert the Civ3 PTW CD-Rom" or something to that effect. I have now completely deleted my ENTIRE Infogrames Interactive folder, and reinstalled.

For the first time, I got the PTW splash screen. :band:

I am replaying right now, I'll try to recreate everything as close as possible.

Top Bottom