SGOTM2 Germany - Team Alamo

Wow, you are right! I never read that part carefully enough. I have given Cathy, Liz and Joan something as well. How about Mao, have we given him anything?

The only other thing I see in Bamspeedy's article that might help would be to check everyones "preferred" and "shunned" governments. If we can make more people happy by switching governments, it might be worth it.

I would check, but I don't have the game with me right now.

Mapstat says:

Population
-------------
Germany 741
Japan 166
China 100

japan and china are commies, france and russia demos, others republic.

If no UN by mid-turn then I say take out Comrade Mao.

Just wondering... Why don't we build the UN ourselves? Japan would be the other candidate, and I think China and Russia would both vote for us, enough to win since England will almost certainly abstain (just finished war with Toku).

The variant was to win diplo w/o building the UN.

Taking out Mao makes sense because he's the one that could beat us, if nominated.

If you say take him out, then I'm with you.

You heard the man Sesn, release your inner monger: you may :ar15: when ready!

I'm ready. I'll give Japan the first couple of turns to start it. Otherwise, Mao gets the honor of seeing panzers in action first. :evil:

Very sorry for the long delay, basically I'm just an ass. I'll have turns up in a few hours.

Looking over the map, I get a bit worried about the dom limit, since no one has mentioned how close we are to it. I DL and use mapstat, and taking every tile China has would put us EXACTLY over the limit. Curious, huh?

I start assembling more panzers to send to the Indo China region, as I’d like to make short work of China before WW kicks in. I’m able to get approx 35 panzers, along with three armies, staged and ready to go, or at least en route.

I notice we have many research labs in progress. Will these have any effect if we already have SETI? I’ll take note of a couple that will be done next turn and let you know.

I investigate Beijing to see what resistance I should expect. 5 rifles. This is gonna be a slaughter. :evil:

1575 ad (1) – The research lab does indeed still have an effect. I round up the 15 or so inf in Indian cities and upg them all. I think next turn is go time.

1580 ad (2) – Doublecheck to make sure we don’t have any units inside Chinese borders. That done I call Mao and tell him he has foiled our plans for long enough. He asks about the three deals that we currently have with him. Hmm, what to do? I’ll give Japan one more turn to start the thing.

1585 ad (3) – Well, no UN build, and now, no rep. :( I refuse to wait another 12 turns. I have no doubt that once China is battered down a bit, that Japan will make peace and begin the UN. I hope. I declare. Cathy is unwilling to break her MPP with them, so it’ll have to be a two for one deal.

Krasnayorsk (Russian), Izumi, Canton, Tientsin, and Beijing fall. We lose three panzers at Beijing. No other losses to report, except an elite cav I was leader fishing with. :shrug:

1590 ad (4) – We lost two vet cavs in counterattacks. We also lost our supply of gems, so I renegotiate for gems, wines, 45g and 35 gpt and ship Japan Ecology.

Krasnayorsk (Russian), Tsingtao, Anyang, Xinjian, Shanghai, and Nanking fall this turn. We lost 6 panzers total. Interesting to note that I was trying to press an attack with a 2/4 panzer in the Russian capitol, and it lost flawlessly vs an elite spear stationed there.

1595 ad (5) – Suprisingly, there were no culture flips. Sevastopol is captured, mercifully ending the Russians pitiful existence. We take Hangchow and Macao, but get our butts whooped at Chengdu, losing three panzers, with the last running out of movements.

1600 ad (6) – Berlin completes battlefield medicine. City-whose-name-I-forget is autorazed. Chengdu is captured, but the Chinese are not yet eliminated. They must have a stupid settler on a boat somewhere. :mad:

1605 ad (7) – Liz and Joan both ask for an RoP. I don’t see any harm, so I agree. Synth Fib comes in, start on Mini. I think I see the settler in the boat sailing by. Japan finally begins the UN. the bad news is they start it in Tokyo, a 19 spt city. They’ll be done in 53 turns at the current rate.

1610 ad (8) – I guess that wasn’t the right galleon, as I didn’t get a elimination popup. Will need to find it soon, as WW is creeping into the empire.

1615 ad (9) – Nanking flips back to Chinese. Load strike force onto ships. Force consists of two armies, 9 elite panzer, 24 vet panzer, and 5 MI.

1625 ad (10) – Retake Nanking. Pollution is becoming problematic. The task force is sent on a goto order to the water outside Tokyo.

We are still at war with China, only because I couldn’t eliminate them and didn’t want them to be able to vote when the time comes. This is becoming an issue due to WW. Not sure what the best solution is for that. We just made an army, which I have not moved, since I didn’t know if we would want to load it with mech inf, or perhaps wait for MA. I zoned out and went for Minituarization rather than Rocketry, which would have shown us the aluminum. We need to be very careful going forward as Mapstat says we are only 42 tiles from the dom limit.

I have no idea what impact my actions will have on the upcoming vote, I only hope I didn't ruin it for us.

>>>SAVE<<<

SesnOfWthr said:
...I was trying to press an attack with a 2/4 panzer in the Russian capitol, and it lost flawlessly vs an elite spear stationed there.
:spear:

Sesn, you can't let those brilliant smiley opportunities pass you by!

I don't know how big an impact breaking our trade agreements will have on the vote either. I guess we will find out. Do you think we should try to capture that Chinese boat rather than kill it? Then we could just kill everybody after we get the UN, and we would be the only civ voting. Can't lose that way!

Since we are 45 tiles below the domination limit, we need to use MapStat frequently. We may have to sell off some cultural improvements around our borders at some point.

Tokyo is only 19spt? That's with factory?

Breaking a deal hurt a bit, but it's probably not a deal-breaker.

Well, Mao will not be a candidate, but he certainly won't vote for us. There are plenty of transports to use as ocean scouts. Peace would not be bad while we locate the errant settler. We just have to find him and follow him for 20 turns, or UN completion.

So how does that capture work? Do they get a vote or not? 1 for and 1 against is victory?

Good point about domination. We should start disbanding the low pop cities, like the island ones. Build workers or settlers. The empty land may attract the wayward chinese settler.

SETI was changed from labs everywhere to double science in city. I started some labs because I was afraid that if I built too many panzers then someone would disband them. ;)

Do we get some bonus if we get through the tech tree?

Next Player
------------
alamo
SensOfWthr
Cuivienen
bradleyfeanor
Shoe35

I didn't see a factory in Tokyo.

He would not get a vote since there is no city, but it would allow us to call a vote.

I continued to build labs in cities, along with other improvements.

There is a miniscule bonus for each future tech that we research.

Some of the Chinese borders will be growing soon, so we'll probably have to check dom limit nearly every turn, but I don't think it's time to abandon cities yet.

I wonder if Tokyo is poorly developed in typical AI fashion: too much irrigation and not enough mines. If so, it might not be a bad idea to sign an ROP so we can send in a team of workers to get the city up to speed. We already have numerous trade agreements with Japan, so one more probably wouldn't hurt.

That is exactly right, BF. IIRC, they are also working 4 coastal tiles, and I'm not sure that they have a harbor! I did notice that there was certainly a surplus of food though.

I'm behind in a couple of Sgs and hurrying my way through the COTM before the end of the month. Can I be swapped with bradley?

Fine by me.

Do we have any priorities other than:

1) Speed up Tokyo with a work team.
2) Finish off China.
3) Build military and wait.

Watch the domination limit - only 42 tiles to limit, according to mapstat. I use Mapstat 3.1 alpha 2.

After Tokyo go ahead and build some rails from Tokyo to Calcutta - we will use them later. We may have to raze Yokohama.

There are several transports waiting in Hastings.

You could make peace with Mao if WW kicks in - Japan will still be at war.

I just peeked at Orleans - it is making 26spt and will have a factory in 5 turns. Maybe we should just give Fission to Joan! In this case I suspect that Japan would want to declare war on Joan to stop the build, so we may have to defend her against Japan! :wallbash:

I think #3 is all set BF. I have a strike force of about 40 units (including two armies) en route to a launch point near Tokyo. I actually had stopped building units due to increasing cost.

there are still about 30 units stacked outside Berlin, and more in China's land.

1620, preturn Looks good. I leave everything the way it is going.

IBT Disease hits 5 cities. :rolleyes:

1625, turn1 I consider gifting fission to France, but I am uncomfortable with the idea of her and Japan both building the UN at the same time: a great leader surprise could be ugly. I sign an ROP with Japan and begin moving workers toward Tokyo. I also put a lot of our troops in cities (to avoid a sneak attack). Upgrade a few infantry to Mech. Infantry.

1630, 2 Rush an Airport in Delhi. I will also build a few on our mainland. They can come in handy sometimes if a unit slips by or something. Miniaturization is due so I turn down research.

1635, 3 Begin researching Genetics, due in 7. Start York and Konigsberg on Wonder prebuilds. I notice there is no Aluminum on the map. Hmmmm. Japan starts the Manhattan project. I investigate Kyoto. He has 5 infantry, is generating 24 spt, and will be done in 30 turns…before the UN! We are 23 tiles from Domination. I stop all library builds on the new continent and abandon one city, Macao.

1640, 4 I spot a Chinese Ironclad and Caravel outside Tatung, so I rush a Destroyer there. It was expensive, but I felt it was worth it.

1645, 5 Teach Toku how to develop a city.

1650, 6 kill the Chinese.

1655, 7 Japan demands coal and I capitulate.

1660, 8 Reduce science, Genetics due next turn. Put a few cities on wealth, because I tire of building and disbanding units (plus, I don’t think Alamo likes it when I do that :))

1665, 9 I go ahead and upgrade all our Infantry (740g). We drop below 2000g in the treasury (sorry, but I didn’t want to go around doing one at a time).

1670, 10 Tokyo is generating 22 spt and will be done with the UN in 35. The reason it is still taking so long is because the dolt went into anarchy at some point. :mad: He just formed a democracy this turn. I begin railroading southward toward our Indian colonies. Mapstat says we are 36 tiles from the Domination limit.

I detest moving workers in the late game. :wallbash: I still don't comprehend how you finish so fast Alamo.

The save is here: >>HERE<<. Our Jason score is 3037. Does anyone recall what it was last turn? Are we dropping now? :cry:

On a lighter note, what do you guys think of the start position for COTM2?

For the next player:

The navy is waiting outside Tokyo.
There are lots of units on our mainland near Berlin. If you need more, I put a few in Canterbury, Berlin and York for sneak attack protection in those important cities.
We have airlift capability to our Indian colonies. Japan has been moving lots of units around our borders and he has ships around the coast. You might want to airlift a few units over there.

There is no Aluminum on the map because some idiot (ME!) forgot to research rocketry before going to minituarization. My only excuse is that I haven't played many modern age games recently....

IIRC (and who knows if I actually do) our Jason score was around 2800 last turn. Does that seem right?

I haven't looked at the start position for COTM2, but maybe I can actually find time to try that out this month...

Regarding the COTM start position: prepare yourself for the worst!

I don't have any experience with modern warfare either, and what I do have was in Civ Vanilla. This was actually the first time I saw a radar tower in a game :), so I didn't catch the rocketry thing either.

I hope that is correct on the Jason score. That would be a nice healthy increase.

Considering you and I are modern-age illiterate, I guess I will direct this question to the others: how much do we need to worry about nukes given that Japan will have the capability when we attack?

Ok, Mao is history! Japan builds Manhattan before UN? Stupid !#$* AI! :gripe:

Considering that Tokugawa can't build a wonder, I doubt that he can build a nuke fast enough to threaten us.

Next Player
------------
alamo
SensOfWthr
bradleyfeanor
Cuivienen
Shoe35

Cuivienen, shoe35 - whoever is free can go ahead.

We are waiting for Tokugawa to build the UN. Be sure to watch border expansions - 23 tiles or less to domination. We need big metros with lots of happy faces for score.

Top Bottom