1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM2 Germany - Team Alamo

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, May 15, 2004.

1. Shoe35

Shoe35 Chieftain

1670AD 0: Look around Japan 30 turns from UN

1675AD 1: Numerous builds complete. Working on increasing production for Tokyo, building RR and cleaning up Pollution.

IBT Global warning removes jungle.

1680AD 2: Same as above.

IBT Recycling -> Rocketry;

1685AD 3: switch wealth to recycling plants

IBT Lost gems and wines

1690AD 4: trade computers for gems and wines.

1695AD 5: more of the same

1700AD 6: ditto

IBT renew ROP with Liz and Joan, MPP with Joan

1705AD 7: Rocketry -> Space Flight: busy work

1710AD 8: busy work

1715AD 9: same

1720AD 10: Same, hire clown in Canton, Japan has UN due in 17 turns. (unless he converts some of the mines to irrigated fields.)

Score 4260

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm2/Alamo_SG002_AD1720_01.SAV

2. alamo

alamo bang!

Excellent, a mere 2 rounds left.

Next Up
    ---------
    alamo
    SensOfWthr
    bradleyfeanor
    Shoe35
    Cuivienen

3. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

Don't be so quick to assume, Alamo. 17 turns to completion. At that point, they won't call a vote since we'll be allied against them. So then we have to capture it, and wait another 11 or twenty turns, right? We might all get another turn before it's all said and done.

4. alamo

alamo bang!

Very true, my bad. 2 rounds 'till the UN complete (hopefully).

5. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

Sorry I missed this earlier. Got it, will play tomorrow.

6. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

Okay, I've now delayed this twice, but for some reason my computer's CD drive refuses to open (I've no idea why), so I need to be skipped. Sorry about the delay!

7. alamo

alamo bang!

Ok, no problem. I highly recommend a no-cd patch.

Got it.

8. alamo

alamo bang!

It is ONE TURN TO UN! [dance]

The next player needs to declare war on Japan and sign MA's with Liz and Joan. The invasion force should be sufficient, but just in case there are several MA's in the former Chinese territory. There are 25 tiles to domination, so do NOT capture any extra towns!

It may be better to wait a turn before landing the invasion force. Japanese units could be lured into the former Chinese territory and taken out of the way for the landing turn.

HERE

I went ahead and played 20 turns, since it was pretty boring stuff. I could have added more to the invasion force, but there are 48 units waiting offshore. It was mainly pollution watch and milking chores.

I accidentally hit return one too many times, so the next player picks at 1780AD. Sorry.

Turnlog:

1720AD: Japan is working all the mined tiles, so UN in 17 turns. Invasion force waiting offshore. Moved forces into Chinese cities. Disbanded some cav. Sci/Lux to 50/0 for space in 2. Hurry harbor in Sevastapol. Misc building assignments from wealth.

Mapstat: 36 tiles to domination limit.

1725AD(1): builds, workers

IBT: RoP with Japan expires - no renewal. @#$% japanese working irrigating Tokyo!

1730AD(2): Sci/Lux to 60/0 for Satellites in 4. Riot in chinese city - need markets! Hurry 3 markets.

IBT: Expelled from Japanese territory. 11 workers stranded on tip of NE Japanese continent.

1735AD(3): builds, workers

IBT: Borders expand, but 37 tiles to dom now?

1740AD(4): hurry another market.

IBT: Another expand - 29 tiles to dom!

1745AD(5): builds, workers

IBT: Barbs approach Tsingtao! Stranded workers in Jap territory now. Jap settler on southern tip.

1750AD(6): builds, workers. Sci/Lux to 20/0 for Espionage in 4 (need market/hospital money)

IBT: Japanese city of Bizen flips to us - 9 additional tiles, but on our continent - ok.

1752AD(7): Mapstat says 20 tiles to domination. Collect some stranded workers. Hurry 5 markets. Decide to disband 76_Chittagong to increase our tile cushion.

1754AD(8): Hurry 2 hospitals.

IBT: Apollo complete.

1756AD(9): Hurry several aquaducts. All stranded workers on transports.

1758AD(10): Sci/Lux to 70/0 for Nuclear in 4. Hurry some markets/aquaducts. Mapstat now says 11 tiles to limit!

1760AD(11): builds, workers

1762AD(12): builds, workers. Sci/Lux to 60/0 for Nuclear in 2. Hurry worker in 76 to abandon city. Investigate Tokyo - 13 turns to UN! Only 5 tiles mined.

IBT: Jap tank appears. Borders expand again.

1764AD(13): Mapstat says 15 tiles to limit. Target Bengal for next downsize. Divert workers to revisit Tokyo. Hurry 2 hospitals.

IBT: Lost wines and gems - have to give Rocketry to get it back.

1766AD(14): Sign another RoP to send in workers. Sci/Lux to 70/0 for Laser in 4. Hurry a hospital.

1768AD(15): Remined 2 Tokyo tiles. Hurried 2 aquaducts.

1770AD(16): Remined more.

IBT: RoP's with everyone else renewed.

1772AD(17): UN in 5 turns! Native workers flee.

1774AD(18): Sci/Lux to 30/0 for Amphibious in 4 - more money for markets/aquaducts/hospitals. Hurried 2 markets.

1776AD(19): Hurried some markets. Bengal disbanded. Mapstat says 25 tiles to limit.

1778AD(20): Hurry markets. Check Tokyo - 2 turns to UN!

1780AD - Ooops, too far! Nothing moved so far.

There are some foreign workers stuck in Japanese territory that were there to prevent complete irrigation.

9. bradleyfeanor

bradleyfeanor King

Thank you, thank you Alamo!

I only know a bit about programing, but I am pretty sure it would be easy to program the AI to develop his tiles more efficiently. It's just simple math for Pete's sake. I think this is one of my biggest disappointments in Civ3.

Great turns, we could possibly put this game to bed on Cuivienen's turn or Sesn's! :)

10. alamo

alamo bang!

Another thing (or two):

You will loose 2 lux after declaring war - you will have to deal with unhappiness one way or the other. Japan will loose a lux, too. Hopefully that will not cause any delay.

Joan will probably be able to take the Jap cities on our continent, if you clear the way for her.

Calcutta is poorly defended - don't loose it!

Next Up
    ---------
    alamo
    SensOfWthr
    bradleyfeanor
    Shoe35
    Cuivienen

11. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

OK, I see the save. Not sure if I can get to it tonight, but I'll certainly try.

Looks like you signed another RoP with japan on turn 14 or so. What kind of affect will that have on the cost of MA's with everyone when I break it to declare war? Hopefully, we're ahead in tech enough that I can still buy them for some ungodly prices?

12. alamo

alamo bang!

Right on both accounts.

We have a RoP AND a trade deal - nobody will want to make a deal with us again, unless there are free techs involved!

I had to go back in and re-mine Tokyo after the first deal expired. After that, I renewed a trade deal to get back those lux, just because I was easier than re-mooding all the cities.

Maybe you should just turn on all city governors for the next few turns, then straighten it all out at the end of your round.

13. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

I may well turn on the governors for the first turn. The problem with breaking a lux deal is that you don't get the free turn to catch the happiness issues. I'm sure I'd have quite a few riots on the ensuing turn. Alternatively, I may just jack up the luxury rate, and lower it as appropriate the nex turn. That may be the better way to go since we're technically not supposed to use the governors.

14. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

Sorry guys. didn't make it through this tonight. My comp crashed on the first interturn twice, and I'm too tired to try again. I'll fiddle around with it again tomorrow.

15. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

OK, as noted in the thread, this is my third (and final) attempt at this. I have occasionally had these problems before with wars in the modern age, so if I crash again, I will probably request a skip.

A thought I had: I should probably save at the end of each turn in case there is a vote at the start of the next, right? I think I will, as I’ve never had to submit a diplo win save and I’d rather be safe than sorry.

1780 ad (1) – Declare on Japan. Invite Joanie for SciMeth and ivory. Invite Liz for Nav and incense. The luxuries were unnecessary, but I felt it would add some incentive to keep them at war. Ratchet luxury up to a pre-emptive 40%. Land forces on either side of Tokyo. Pick off a few stray units on the home island to try and help out the French. Wait for the Japanese response.

IT – Actually see a few Japanese bombers. French take Yakutsk, but are entirely unsuccessful at Suo. Japanese move about 20 cavs, tanks, and MI into our territory.

1782 ad (2) – Still have about 8 riots, even with the huge luxury rate!! Oops. Accidentally capture Suo. Oh well, bring on the torches!! Echigo gets a similar treatment. In the process of eradicating the invading Japanese forces, Hengest appears for the third or fourth time. Use him to rush Intlligence Agency in Kolhapur. UN didn’t finish this turn? Maybe Japan went to war time mobilization?

IT – Lose a couple MA’s in counters. Japan finally completes the UN.

1784 ad (3) – Capture Tokyo, losing 2 elite panzer in the process. Fortify with 40+ units, except for 2 MI that protect a radar tower I built. This puts us a mere 5 tiles from the dom limit. :eek: I scroll through and see that only Paris and Liverpool are anywhere close to threatening that limit. I can sell Liverpool down, but the best I can buy is 12 turns w/o selling off the church in paris, which I don’t want to do.

1786 ad (4) – WW is running rampant. We had better hope for a vote sooner rather than later. I am seriously considering abandoning a couple of towns in order to capture japan’s two luxes.

1788 ad (5) – I burn through most of the treasury buying markets and police stations. So far, japan has sent a settler pair into our lands on every turn, even though normal attacks have dried up. :shrug: I also get another leader in Tokyo, he is used for an MA army.

1790 ad (6) – Seems WW is back under control. Japan is willing to talk. HA! After all this hassle? I realize exactly how shield poor our empire is ATM. Not much to be done about it now…

1792 ad (7) – Japan completes the Manhattan project. Switch many core cities from wealth to ICBM. I swear if they launch at me, I will wipe them off the face of the earth and we can go against Joan in the vote. Japan also seems content to continually bomb the roads around Tokyo.

1794 ad (8) – I start sending units out on pillage missions. In doing so, I discover three sleeping armies in York. Surprise!

1796 ad (9) – I see the first Japanese MA during the IT. Upgrqade nearly all the panzers in Tokyo.

1798 ad (10) – We won on defense vs to MA’s during the interturn. Liz also asked for, and received, an MPP. Why can’t armies pillage? Is this something they added in Conquests? That makes things more annoying.

Well, we may want to consider razing a few core cities for Japan. They are starting to be able to make MA’s. I have two units on top of one of their sources of Alum near Osaka. We have enough MA in Tokyo to quickly wipe out a few cities, but I was afraid of altering our borders.

Here is what I suggest. We raze Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Kagoshima. That will put Japan at a pop of 98. France only has 79 now. That will allow us to claim a wine colony, and seriously destroy Japan’s core. Then we put it on cruise control and just click through the turns. It's kind of at an akward point between a war and just worker turns right now. I basically amused myself by leader fishing and destroying radar towers.

Firaxis score: 5109
    Jason score: 3901

>>>SAVE<<<

16. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

This quote fills me with dread. Please tell me you didn't play with conquests :shakehead

17. tao

tao Deity

Don't worry. I suppose the non-pillage-capability of armies may be a gotm mod. I noticed it also in gotm32 w vanilla civ 1.29.

18. bradleyfeanor

bradleyfeanor King

Nice turns Sesn! We’re getting close now!

So does this mean the next vote will be in 1806 (11 turns after UN build), anyone know? I prefer the following strategy for the next few turns, because it will leave Japan with a big population, but will cripple their military to the point that it is a joke. I think doing the following is important in case we end up in a vote stalemate, and long-term it will give us more happy people:

1) Use modern armor Army to pillage Japan’s oil and aluminum near Edo as Sesn mentioned. Leave that army nearby so that they stay pillaged. Use other units too if you need them.

2) Roll back our defensive forces to a line behind 66_Karachi, then sell its improvements and give it to Liz. Let the Japanese capture it to give them a few more tiles and pop. They might need it because of what we are going to do in #3. This will also get us away from the Domination Limit.

3) Use Tokyo airport to bring military units (and two settlers) to our navy stationed outside the city. Send that Navy to Japan’s NE peninsula, and do three things there: a) pillage uranium by Sapporo, b) pillage rubber by Fukoshima. c) raze and replace Shantung (wine) and Ise (gems). Rush harbors in them.

After we establish each of these cities, check the domination limit. If we get too close, we should give 64_Herman (sell improvements first) to Liz. It has expanded borders but is only pop 6. If we need to get rid of more tiles, consider giving Liz Lahore, Anyang or 30_Magdeburg as well. The reason for giving cities away, rather than razing them, is because we don’t want Joan to settle there (she has a boat nearby). Also, if they belong to Liz, Japan might try to capture them, and that would work in our favor.

19. alamo

alamo bang!

Good work, Herr Field Marshall SesnOfWthr.

Sorry, I forgot to mention those 3 armies I built for fun. I should have moved them to the other continent, eh? :rolleyes:
    Toku did not call a vote, so it will be another 20 turns - 1784AD+20 turns = 1824AD.

Armies not pillaging sounds strange. Add something to the stack. You cannot airlift anything useful like a worker, settler, or leader - but you can airlift a massive MA unit.

Sounds like a good plan, bf. Go ahead and get more luxes to keep the good german citizens happy! Pillaging resources is good, also. If you can stop all pillages it will help with WW, too. Deploy jets to take out the bombers, and put an iron curtain around the borders.

Just be sure to keep Japan in 2cnd place in population, and keep the war alliances active for the vote in 1824!

Next Up
    ---------
    alamo
    SensOfWthr
    bradleyfeanor
    Shoe35
    Cuivienen

20. bradleyfeanor

bradleyfeanor King

So I am up and not Cuivienen? If so I will try to play late tonight.

I have a diplomatic win question. If we call the vote and we get two votes for us, one abstention, and one vote for Japan, is that a victory or a stalemate?