1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, May 15, 2004.

1. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Edited out - answered the wrong question.

I was thinking... Michigan Wolverines losing to the Vanderbilt Commodores in the Rose Bowl...but that might be a little extreme... Maybe Michigan losing to Indiana in C.F.

It can happen, (and probably has in the past) but it's "not really supposed to..."

2. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Portugal, like the Netherlands, has traditionally produced a surprising amount of soccer talent for a small country. (I suppose the parallel would be with the Dominican Republic in baseball.) So England's loss wasn't particularly disgraceful.

3. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

Did GK give us his guess on turns to completion?

What do you think of the new Avatar? Seemed fitting to me. Lyonesse is a pro at Avatars. Have you all snooped her thread? I know GK got his there as well.

4. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

I'm surprised somebody hasn't started a pool on when GK will finish his turns. :p

I like the new Avatar. I seem to remember briefly seeing a diiferent jester avatar... I guess you weren't completely happy with that one.

5. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

This one is cool but a little on the evil side.

6. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Yaa shuddup! I have a bad habit of giving estimates of when I would finish the turns, then having someone show up & getting dragged off to the beach or a party. But since Tal is out of town to till tonight, no rush right. ;)

"A little on the evil side?" Pennywise ain't got nothing on that jester.

7. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Beaches, parties... I should have your problems. :rolleyes:

Just remember, Tal's on the other side of the pond from us - so move Mickey's little hand ahead 4 hours, and you'll see that his "night" is not far off... ;)

8. Tallanas

Tallanas Gunboat Diplomat

I'm back!

What a fun but exhausting weekend... It's all very well driving 200 miles to go celebrate a friend's 30th, but getting 9 hours sleep over 2 nights and then driving back at 1am is quite tiring. :)

And still no turns from GK!! What is he doing?? :mischief:

On to other things...

Nice avatar Mistfit :clap: - I must agree with Gengis that's it's more than a little evil. I've always had a thing about clowns/jesters, though :aargh:

Speaking of avatars, I'm going to have to make a real effort to get to 300 posts so I can get me one. Guess I just don't post enough. Then again, as Tyler would say, "You are not your post count!" ;)

As for Portugal. They are actually a decent side - Luis Figo is world class, if getting on a bit, and Cristiano Ronaldo is extremely talented. They also have home advantage of course, which is not something to be taken lightly in soccer - just look at how well Japan and South Korea did in the last World Cup!

There were 16 teams in the finals of this tournament, and I would probably have rated them around 7th or 8th best. England I would have said were around 4th or 5th seed. So it's not too much of an upset really. Greece are the real surprise team. I can only name one Greek player from memory, and that's because he plays his football in England. Whilst other countries ahve become focussed on individuals within the team (Rooney or Beckham for England, Henry for France, Figo for Portugal etc), they just play as a team. No superstars, just excellent attitude. It's working for them. But unluckily they are up against the Czechs next. They are also a good unit, but they have much better players...

Anyway, enough soccer!

9. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

Welcome back Tal..

My vote for GK goes to June 29th at 12:36 a.m.

10. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Anybody got a long-term weather forecast for coastal North Carolina? Say... from Cape Fear to Cape Lookout?

If it calls for rain, put me down for 0600Z on 29 June.

If it calls for sun, put me down for Tal picking this up sometime on 30 June.

If it calls for women, we may be down to four...

11. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

:rotfl: Slack off once and all of the sudden everyone has jokes.

12 turns still or what?

12. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Yes - 12 turns please.

13. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Flight Check Wow, a lot sure has changed.

While I like the idea of using workers to repopulate other cities, and often use it in my games, I don’t think the time of railroads is exactly the right time to get rid of workers. I put that on hold.

Military Report: 37 workers, 8 warriors, 1 archer, 12 spears, 2 swords, 8 pikes, 1 musket, 5 cavs, 2 rifles, 7 cats, 1 cannon, & 2 caravels. Ugh, and I mean with a capitol Ugh. Our military is not only huge, but also largely obsolete. I compromised on disbanding cities, so this one is mine! I’m going to upgrade some of our military, and get rid of the rest.

We offer Joinie Industrialization & Electronics, she replies that she can pay 160g, & 130gpt. Far too much sweet maiden, we’ll take that 160g & 30gpt though. *Big note, joinie also lacks coal, however since all it will do is increase her production we should keep her from getting any for awhile. BUT when she gets medicine we should gift her coal because the AI is irrigation happy, and that extra food will shoot her population aka gold through the roof.*

Off to visit madam Cathy, she offers 190g & 75gpt for Ind/Elec. Again we’re much more humble then that. We’ll happily take 190g, 25gpt & we’ll even throw in Iron & spices. *We had an extra iron, and while normally it’s not smart to trade away your only back up supply of iron in the age of rails, we have 2 back up(unconnected) mines. If one of ours depletes we’ll at most be without iron for a couple turns while I get workers up there to connect it. Cathy has SP, coal but no iron, she defiantly needs that iron incase Joan gets antsy again.*

Next I dial up poor poor Lizzy, I sell her Magnetism for 75g. Then gift her up to parity. *England is effectively crippled, and will never again be powerful enough to research a tech. From this point on we should concentrate on keeping her alive, and make sure she can defend herself to preserve another vote that will surely go in our favor. I also love Mistfits(I think) idea about gifting her a city that’s protected by us.*

I talk to our favorite passivist, Gandhi(who’s at war with Mao). Offer him the same, he’ll part with dyes 60gpt & 16g. You need that money to fend off the evil Chineses, take what we offered & ivory for only your dyes & 20gpt.

Mao has no money or gpt, so we just give them to him.

Toka is broke and backwards. We take his 7g and give him Steam, Elec, Nationalism, Industrial, & spices.

Back to France to renegotiate our spices deal, it was 12gpt I downgrade it to 10(she’s willing to pay 35gpt). *This will ensure she can’t just cancel off this deal then attack without losing something.*

Now to spend those hard earned gains. I upgrade 7 catapolts for 280g. Upgrade 9 spears for 1080g. Next round I start disbanding warriors & swords, because our new rifles will be in position. The round after that the knights get the upgrade. This way I’m semi-compromising with scout, I’m reducing the total number of units we have while at the same time increasing our power in the AI’s eyes. Happy?;)

Switch New Berlin(FP site) from factory to library. (I’m sorry but when a city doesn’t have a library and is pulling in 32 gold, that’s just a waste.)

Rush Courthouse in New Stuttgart for 260g.

Rush Courthouse in New Newremburg for 80g.

Switch from Factory to aqueduct in New Cologne, then rush for 112g.

Switch from Factory to aquecut in New Munich, then rush for 28g.

Switch New Heidelburg from factory to Aqueduct.

This brings up Rule # 2 for playing in SGs with me…….. You leave me with a pile of money, and it won’t be there when you get the save back.:lol:

IT Frankfurt: factory>bank (for whoever said banks weren't important, keep in mind that our lux slider probably won’t hit 100% for awhile, and especially since each round we’ll most likely be able to turn it down a bit. Put those together and banks will easily pay their maintenance costs and then some.)
    Nuremburg: worker>worker
    Hannover: worker>worker
    Branndonburg: uni>bank
    N Heildelburg: duct>library
    N Munich: duct>harbor (this city is on the coast, we need an harbor so we can use those coastal tiles for growth and leave the plains for production)
    N Nuremburg: court>worker
    N Cologne: duct>harbor (see N Munich)
    N Stuttgart: court>worker (I’m all for Operation Population Redistrabution, but we have a LOT of work to be done first.)

Russians start US.
    France starts US.

T1 (1170)- Stick 2 workers in a caravel & send them to our west island.
    Buy a worker with a funny accent & a penchant for cheese, for 17g & our WM.
    Sell our WM around for pennies. (however multiple people were offering upwards of 6gpt for it, I just took a couple gold.)
    Turn research down.
    Disband a bunch of warriors/swords, upgrade some Knights to Cavs.

IT Learn Medicine, start on Sci Meth at 70% due in 4. (Whether we research it before ToE completes, or we take it as a free tech Rep Parts will be the next tech we get for the faster workers.) I’m also not building any coal plants, because we’ll shortly have Hoover.

N Berlin: library>factory
    Heindelburg: factory> bank

T2 (1180)- Sell Medicine around for everyone’s gold, but not any gpt. (The more I think about this taking any gpt payments from the AI is shooting ourselves in the foot. We’re on what? Monarch? Emperor? Either way the AI gets a research discout & inter trade discount, we really should have been letting them research and buying techs for gpt from them from the start. But the AI is incompetent & stupid so we’ll just accept not taking their money & pray they actually come through with a tech or two, at this point.)
    We get: 130 from Russia, 126 from France, 6 from Japan, 79 from India, & 10 from England. China sucks.

Rush Library in Tallatown. (hate to tell you, but that would have so been bulldozed had I gotten my way. ;))
    Rush harbor in N Munich.
    Rush harbor in N Cologne.
    Rush aqueduct in N Bremen.
    Rush library in N Heidleburg.

IT Munich: factory>courthouse
    Nuremburg: worker>worker
    Swalzburg: factory>courthouse
    N Heidleburg: library>court
    N Munich: harbor>factory
    N Cologne: harbor>court
    N Bremen: duct>court
    Scoutsburg: library>harbor (also would have gotten dozed)
    Tallatown: library>court

T3 (1190)- Despite the fact that I’ve been building a bunch of workers, I’ve managed to reduce our Military upkeep by 6. Not too shabby, but not nearly enough. ;)

IT Hamburg: factory>bank
    Nuremburg: worker>market

We lose our supply of fine Chinese silks. (not that it really matters)

T4 (1200)- Rush courthouse in Tallatown.
    Turn research down.

IT Nuremburg: worker>uni
    Bremen: factory>cannon
    Tallatown: court>harbor

T5 (1210)- Buy slave off Japan for WM & 21g.
    Russia, France & China have Communism. Great, one of the 2 techs I don’t give the slightest @#$% about.
    I’ll trade for it in a bit(aka once we have a tech that that doesn’t put us at risk of losing ToE to a cascade) simply for the police stations though. As far as I’m concerned any research by them is a step in the right direction though.

I investigated Orleans and was going to post a picture, but it’s not even worth it, they have 36 turns left on US.
    Looks like unless Russia has something under their sleeve(aka Kiev cascaded) we’ll get US no problem.

IT Caravel sinks barb galley.
    Learn Sci Method! Boo yea! Start on Rep Parts due in 5 at 80% (+17gpt).

N Stuttgart: worker>worker
    Funfkirchen: worker>worker
    Japan starts US.

T6 (1220)- Switch Kongisburg over to ToE due in 4. Increase our research to get RP in 4 at a loss.(that way on turn 4 we’ll pull in 3 techs, and can gift everyone most of them because ToE is in the bank.)
    Not much else. Disband a couple units & workers work.

This will actually work out pretty perfectly. We’ll pick up 3 techs at once, our workers will double their speed so the rest of our land will get improved very quickly, and we can trade for Comm then gift everyone everything we have except Electronics. Shortly after that we’ll have completed US, launched our GA just in time for the expensive late IA techs, killed the cascade(which means a turn later we can gift everyone electronics because we’ll have 6 turns/300 shields already into it), and the AI loves to take the high road(combustion, refining, ect) while we take he low. I don’t think I could have scripted this one better, now we just need someone to pick up medicine for us.

IT Munich: court>cannon
    Hannover: worker>factory
    Bremmon: cannon>rax
    Salzburg: factory>cannon
    Dortmond: factory>uni

T7 (1230)- More of the same.

IT Frankfurt: factory>court
    Cologne: factory>bank
    Bremmend: rax>cav
    Brandonburg: factory>cannon
    Talsburg: worker>duct
    Mistburg: worker>duct

T8 (1240)- Munich gets switch from cannon to Wall St, due in 13.

IT Salzeburg: cannon>cannon
    N Kongisburg: factory>market
    AAAARGH! My streak is broken. New Salzeburg riots, freaking island cities!

T9 (1250)- I sell our WM around to raise the bit of cash we need to keep from going in the red next turn and manage by 1 gold, then realize I’m a dumbass and turn research down. :lol:

IT We learn Rep Parts. Start on Atomic Theory.
    Theory of Evolution completes in Kongisburg. We net Atomic Theory & Electronics. Start on Radio due in 7 at 60%, 112gpt. Can I get a boo-yea?

Kongisburg: ToE>Hoover
    Heidelburg: factory>court
    New Salzeburg is content & then New Brandonburg riots. I told you we should have just razed them.

T10 (1255)- We have 2 sources of rubber with another 2 not hooked up. That’ll work. Our workers go into overtime mode.

Sell Sci Meth & Rep Part to Mao for Comm, 130g, & 45gpt(he has 245gpt to spare). Then gift him Atomic Theory.
    Sell SM & RP to Joanie for 19g. She has no gpt to spare, good job way to put it into research! Gift her AT.
    Gift Cathy all 3.
    Ghandi only has 38gpt, so I sell him all 3 plus Communism for 59g.
    Gift them all to Toka & Lizzy as well.

IT Hamburg: Bank>court
    Frankfurt: court>arty
    New Stuttgart: court>police

First bit of pollution shows up.

T11 (1260)- Buy Japanese worker for 23g.
    The Chinese/Indian war is at a standstill, neither side has lost a city.

IT Brandonberg: arty>arty
    N Kongisburg: market>uni
    Tallatown: harbor>duct

T12 (1265)- Rush, work, and upgrade.

*End o Turn Report*
    *Military Report: 50 workers, 2 warriors, 3 spears(don’t ask me how those 5 slipped past my disband radar), 6 pikes, 1 knight, 13 rifles, 4 cavs, 10 cannons, 1 arty, 2 caravels.
    *We’re in very good shape militaristically, we have plenty to defend ourselves with and we can put off building any more Cavs because our invasion will take place with tanks. Due to us having rails down connection all our cities we only have to defend the border cities, up until amphibious warfare. We can start rejoining workers once our rails system is finished, but we’ll want to keep a bunch around for pollution control & minor terrain changes.
    *Radio due in 5, at 70% 113gpt.
    *We’re up Electronics on everyone. DON’T trade/give away electronics until 2 turns after we finish the US, we want to kill the cascade here, and not have everyone cascade over to Hoover.
    *US due in 3, Hoover due in 15, Wall St due in 8.
    *End result: 6 techs, massive progress on our railroad network, but - about 3 thousand gold. Win some, you lose some.

Good luck!
    Save

14. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

It was well worth the wait GK :goodjob: Great turns!!!

15. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Those look like some awesome turns! :thumbsup:

Sufferage ought to trigger our Golden Age. Also - don't be too quick to give Electronics away, even if we lock in on Hoover. Maybe one of the AI will be good enough to research Corporation for us.

Building Hoover in 1250.. not too shabby!

16. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

Note to whomever is next Scoutsburg (another of GK's "Bulldozable" cities) will riot next turn

17. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Thanks guys, I just got lucky that I could max out research & pull Rep parts the same turn we landed ToE, basically gaining a free tech that would otherwise be spent on the tech you're researching.

Scout: That's what I'm banking on, and why I went with radio, even though it will take us longer to research. I figure one of them is researching Corperation & hopefully another going for Sanitation.

And Hoover will complete around 1300, but either way that's really freaking quick. I was just glanceing at the graph page that shows our scrore, and we might get the best of both worlds. I'll get my wooden spoon because we easily have the lowest score, and we might pull the laurell as well. That would be too funny.

Mist: In all honesty, I pretty much stopped paying attention to those cities. However I stuck two workers on the west island to connect the cities, and plant/chop forrests. I also have a caravel heading up our eastern coast to pick up a couple workers and take them to the eastern island.

18. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Order of go:

Gengis Khan: Showed us he's back in a big way by spending all our cash.
    Tallanas Caesar: UP
    Scoutsout: on deck
    Mistfit: warming up
    Northern Pike: waiting his turn

19. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Wooden Spoon AND Golden Laurel... whoa - we'd be the first team ever to get multiple awards! :crazyeye:

And I could snarf that "Order of the Wooden Spoon" from Brother Bede's sig... :D

20. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

But I'll be the only person to go 2-0 for Wooden Spoon awards, that takes some major talent and serious commitment.:lol:

If we manage to pull both, I'm definatly putting the spoon as my Av.