1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, May 15, 2004.

1. Tallanas

Tallanas Gunboat Diplomat

OK, let's see if we can recover slightly here... Sanitation in 4 at +705gpt after my turns...

IBT - nothing

Turn 8 - 1305 AD

Rush Factory in New Hannover, as it needs an aqueduct... Lots of worker stuff, more upgrading, one merge.

IBT - Dyes deal with India runs out (I am cursing vanilla, btw) - not wanting a repeat of last time, I pay the bowler-hatted wrinkly off with spices, ivory and 28gpt...

Turn 9 - 1310 AD

New Hannover gets Factory, starts aqueduct - lots more artillery builds, some more courthouses, police stations and infantry too, to prevent any more silly flipping. The GA is really taking hold, and some cities have every possible improvement (bar colosseums etc...)

IBT - nothing

Turn 10 - 1315 AD

Rush the aqueduct in New Hannover now, since it costs 324 instead of 800 last turn... Prepare merges for next turn.

Turn science down to 10%, sanitation in 1 turn, make 1153 gold to boot ;)

More upgrades...

Massive crash. My luck has not improved... I wonder where I can retrieve the save from... Might try a restart, maybe my system is being weird... :sad:

2. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

@ Tal: When you've finished your turns, could you load a save from prior to New Cologne's culture flip, zoom to that city, and post a screenshot?

I have a theory.... I think something went amiss during operation worker merge...

3. Tallanas

Sure, just rebooting and stuff, expect a 30 minute delay... :)

4. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

Ok Here is Crazy Idea #2 from Mistfit:

If it is Russia that we are planning to have build our Un for us.

#1) Improve the city Cologne to the Hilt, every possible improvement tile and city.
    #2) Gift the city to Russia this would become almost a 1st ring city for them. She only has one city closer Tblisi is at 4 this and quite a few others would be at 5.
    #3) Hope that this becomes her most productive city so she builds the UN there.
    #4) Once she builds it take it from her the next turn.
    #5) This would make the city almost flip proof because it would be full of German citizens.

Think this one over. I've not had a chance to study the Russian cities to see if Cologne would be a better choice.

5. Tallanas

Ok, this is bad. Reloading the 1315 save, I notice that we have somehow lost the dyes deal. Again. Whether this is because of the war between India and China, I'm not sure. All I know is that India now don't control any dyes...

:hmm:

6. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

@Gengis, NP - have a look at Mistfit's idea... can we afford to do that to a city? That would be really, really awesome to have the UN right on our doorstep...

7. Tallanas

Ok, I had to save the second 1315 save to go back and check that I had the right one. In 1300 India controlled Chittagong and Shantung - now China has taken Shantung, so our dyes deal is shafted, and China has already sold them to someone else, as they have no spare.

Note to mods! Ordinarily I would not have reloaded an earlier save to check, but due to the crash, I wanted to make sure that this wasn't the wrong save. I have saved the game in 1315 under the name "safe" so that I can produce that if needed. I know we don't like games to be played any way but 10 turns straight through...

8. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

My only worries would be if the city flipped back to us.

Or if she decided it was better to build elsewhere eventhough we gift wrapped it for her

9. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

An intresting idea, and one that could definatly be a compromise between the 2 UN ideas. If we're going to do that we should build either a coal or hydro plant(depending on if it's on a river) in that city, that will get it production up even more & the city would otherwise lose the hydro from hoover when we gifted it to them.

Also the flip isn't an issue, you have the choice to accept or rebuff the rebels. Wouldn't it be cool if it flipped right after completing, a purely peaceful UN steal.

10. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

I think Mistfit's idea is worth trying just to see if we can get the UN in a culture flip!

...though Gengis can tell you, I am cursed when it comes to Culture Flips.

@GK - I'm wondering...with Tals technical difficulties... you did patch your vanilla up to 1.29f when you replaced it, didn't you?

11. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Yep, first thing I did after I got my disk back.

12. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

Rings Picture:

Edit Cologne is on a river

13. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Cologne would be pretty perfect for that, it's a gamble but one that could pay off big time.

Also we'd want to load it up with happyness improving umm improvements first before handing it over as well. I doubt Russia has as many luxs as we do, and it would be a shame for half the citizens to get turned into clowns.

14. Karasu

Karasu Wanderer GOTM Staff

:hmm: This game did crash a few times... I haven't got the technical knowledge to assist you directly, but I will post a 'help' in the staff forum and see if some of the gurus can deal with this. Stay tuned ;)

15. Tallanas

OK, now that I've recovered from my little fit, I can say that Mist's idea sounds great to me. If we can pull it off, it will be one hell of an achievement :)

As you'll have seen from my turnlog, I had one or two technical problems. I have now ended my turns after 10 rather than 12, so that we can get any confusion cleared up.

16. Karasu

Karasu Wanderer GOTM Staff

@Tal
    do you mean that you managed to sneak past the crash problem? Confirm?

17. Tallanas

This was New Cologne pre-flip

Attached Files:

18. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

Ummm... is this team leader derelict in missing something in a maintenance thread? What "crash problem"?

19. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

A breif bit of advice because you're in the TDG Tall.

If you're in a situation where there's a tech you're going for that you really want(Corperation), and another tech that you sort of want (Sani), but you get beaten to the first one (Corperation), you have a couple choices.

The first is trade Electronics for Corp (which is what I would have done, since UN completed busting the cascade).
    The second is buying Corp, but the key is buying it while you're still researching it, because you get a discount on buying/trading for techs thats proportionate to how many beakers you have invested into a tech(but not time, if you're on turn 39 of a min gambit and only have 39 beakers into the tech, you'll still pay outragous prices). Since you switched to Sani, all the beakers were lost and we lose the discount.

Just something that will help out, and pops up about 5 different times in every game. Don't sweat the technical difficulty, it happens to everyone.

I'm assuming our rep is trashed due to the unforseen breaking of our dye deal?

20. Tallanas

@Karasu

I will explain exactly what I did. When it crashed, I rebooted, then loaded the autosave of the turn prior to crash. I noticed that the dyes deal had fallen through. I was utterly confused by this, so loaded an earlier save, whereupon I noticed that the reason behind this was in game, rather than some odd bug or the wrong save being loaded by me.

So, knowing I had the right save, I went through and replayed that turn I lost, and then saved the game before pressing enter, and uploaded it to the GoTM server.

basically, this was so that all saves I have are current, and if you need any, I can send them.

Hope that helps