SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

mad-bax said:
FWIW I think the masterplan could have been improved upon, cunning as it was.

If you had set up Cologne earlier and allowed them to pre-build another wonder in it, then you could have completed that wonder after gifting them fission allowing the cascade.

Could go a bit wrong though as the X team found out.

Neither idea is mine I hasten to add - though I'd love to take the credit.
The difference between 1415 and 1630 is more than a pre-build. That's 40 turns... several techs... if there had been any pre-builds available, we might have beaten Xteam, but I don't think we even had the tech in 1415.

I'm definitely going to have to see how those guys did it, because a 20-turn UN build on our doorstep was a decent tactical advantage.

Um... we were going after the gold one, Mistfit. :)

It looks like we finished a dozen turns behind Xteam, and I think they played a pretty strong game. It will be interesting to see how team Bugsy does. Their UN got completed a few turns earlier, but they have a continent to invade. Going strictly by turns-to-finish, we are probably going to be right in there with Bugsy, and both teams will probably be just behind Xteam. Team Bugsy won the Green in SGOTM1. Finishing close to those guys isn't anything to hang your head about.

But in short, team Peanut skunked us all pretty good on the fastest variant win. I have downloaded their thread, and will read it one evening this week to see how they did it.

I think there is only one other team still playing, and I think they're pursuing the variant.

And we are legitimately in the hunt for the Spoon. Not such a dubious honor, since we knew early on that our approach would either bring home the gold or the spoon.

Mistfit said:
green...gold I was close....
Don't feel bad, I was wrong too. There are 2 teams still playing...

Mistfit said:
I haven't read the thread yet but if it is 1/2 as funny as his write up in the spoiler thread it should be funny
I'm looking forward to that one. They clearly did something radically different...we were at least close to Xteam.

And by the way - the notion of gifting a city to the AI so they can build the UN for you will forever be known as "Mistfit's Gambit" in my book.

Thanks.

Has anyone heard from GK?
I hope he didn't pummle the guy that stole his stuff and get thrown in jail.

Edit I started to read the thread on the Xteam they seemed to be planning to war up to the point of domination and then stop and do the u.n. thing

Tallanas, as long as I'm not receiving the Wayne Rooney Award for looks, or for command of the English language, I'm delighted. :D He's never going to be David Beckham off the pitch, that lad.... :lol:

Regarding Team Peanut's quick variant win:

1. They got their FP built in 30 AD with a GL. The difference between the prospects of a civ which gets an early FP from a GL, and those of one which agonizingly hand-builds the thing, is almost impossible to overstate. Notwithstanding the factors below, if we'd completed our FP when they did we might have equalled their finish time.

2. Playing PtW, they got Fission as their free IA tech, and I believe Russia's free IA tech may have helped them too (though I emphasize that this isn't clear to me). In vanilla, neither of these things was ever going to happen for us. Moral: let's not play vanilla next time, please. Somewhat ironically, the gentleman for whose benefit you accepted this handicap wasn't able to finish the game.

3. They pulled off the freakish feat of winning a UN vote called by the AI (so full credit to you, Scout--it is possible). I don't know whether this makes their victory more or less meaningful (actually I do know, but it wouldn't be chivalrous to go into that ;)).

I admire the refinement of getting the client civ to pre-build the UN--but given the lack of late-IA Wonders, one would need an enormous tech lead to try this. I'm not sure we were ever that far ahead of the pack (the FP issue again, ultimately).

As Mad-bax has indirectly informed you all :lol:, I'm not in a position to play SGOTM3 from the beginning, due to travel over the next month. But I'd be pleased to see this team stay together, and I'd be glad to play in SGOTM4 with the rest of you, or possibly join SGOTM3 midway through. :king:

Scout, thanks for your useful summary of the other teams' games. I can't respond by PM because your box is full. :eek: Everything I have to say is in the above post anyway.

I just emptied my PM box, caught up on some PMs, and even as I type this a new one has arrived... (?)(!) This is nuts..

Thanks for that summary of team Peanut. I guess the chance of getting Fission for free is a slight edge...and the chance of getting different freebies from Russia at the dawn of the Middle and Industrial ages could also be used to shave a few turns off...

If there was a bonus for style points, I'm sure that "Mistfit's Gambit" would be worth a couple thousand Jason points. The way I figure it, we definitely whupped 'em all in style. :D

Sorry for the double-post... a couple of you guys talked about keeping team scout together...

Although I'm honored, I got a PM a little while ago from a guy I was in an SG in... he's with a pretty strong crew... guys I can learn a thing or ten from.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game with you guys, and would love to play another SGOTM with this "team scout".

I have no idea what Mad-Bax will do... this guy already suggested a 5-person roster, and I know MB broke one such team up a little in SGOTM1...

But if we don't play SGOTM3 together, maye we could re-constitute the team in another SGOTM, when NP could be with us from the start...

I don't know if the team is still tracking this thread or not... but it looks like we've sewn up the wooden spoon award. (Sorry Gengis). Blame it on poor leadership. (That was the agreement. :D )

In spite of the fact that we had the lowest Jason score, I think there are a couple of positives we can take from this:

In terms of speed, we were 3rd of 5 teams that declared the variant. We beat Team Bugsy by 5 turns, no small feat considering the strength of that team.

Though it's not really fair to say we played "better" than Team Bugsy, I do think it's fair to say we played a better game than one or two other teams that I won't name.

Bear in mind, the last Wooden Spoon team also played a variant, and played it insanely (OCC-AW). I suspect Wooden Spoon awards to variant teams will become a pattern...

Anyway, I really enjoyed this game guys. I just wanted to get one more note in now that the fat lady has sung...

Best regards :hatsoff:

Excellent news!!

I think there should be a hierarchy for the Wooden Spoon, after the model of the Honours List we do over here :)

At the bottom, the MWS (Member of the Wooden Spoon)

Then OWS (Officer of the Wooden Spoon)

Then CWS (Commander of the Wooden Spoon)

Every time you get the Spoon, you move up a rung... Only problem is that GK is at rung two already... We need some more promotions!

Tal

GK has two wooden spoons? :eek:

I might have trouble putting him in a team soon ;)

Hmm, let's see...

SGoTM1 - check!

SGoTM2 - check!

Yep, two Wooden Spoons :)

But we'll take him anyway!

mad-bax said:
I might have trouble putting him in a team soon ;)
That might be a self-solving problem, as he hasn't been seen around these parts lately. :hmm:

Bede gets wooden spoon in one game and Green Laurel for highest Jason score in the next. :eek:

Top Bottom