1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM3 Rome - Announcement and Sign Up Thread.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, Jul 2, 2004.

1. civ_steve

civ_steve Deity Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

I think you should play (even if you did remove the squid :( ).

A few questions to answer (some from earlier posts by other posters):

1.) Can captured catapults be kept, or must they be immediately disbanded?

2.) Must you contact a civ upon meeting one of their units or seeing one of their cities, or can you delay until they contact you?

3.) I think you've clarified the Tech trading ... either offer a Tech (or Techs) by itself, or ask what they want for their Tech or Techs, and accept or decline.

4.) 20 turns have elapsed rule: is that from when war with the 1st civ was started, or from first contact with civ#2, assuming neither you or civ#1 has been eliminated. Example: contact civ#1 on turn 15, begin war; contact civ#2 on turn 20; Assume no elimination of civ#1, does war with civ#2 start on turn 35 or 40?

5.) I think the answer is yes, but I'm assuming we can start a war earlier than 20 turns, if we wish to.

2. Shoe35

Shoe35 Chieftain

sign me up please PTW1.27

3. Matternich

Matternich Warlord

Sign me up for a plain ol' Civ III 1.29. (not xenophobic)
    This'll be my first succession game. Can't wait.

4. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

How many teams are we up to now? :eek:

For interest, we had 64 players still registered in 13 teams at the end of SGOTM 2. That's not including people who dropped out earlier on. I haven't counted the sign-ups here, but it sure looks like more. I'll have to mix up my paints for some more team colours for the graph ;)

5. waitingtoderail

waitingtoderail Chieftain

How does it work for those of us who don't have a team? Are we randomly placed together?

6. Bede

Bede Deity

:wavey: Welcome, Matternich.

7. AlanH

mad-bax is trying to build teams with comparable mixes of ability that can play their preferred software version and game variant. If you don't give him any clues about either then he has a difficult-to-impossible task on his hands.

Please, guys. Give the man a break and tell him your software preference (vanilla/PtW), your usual difficulty level, whether you want to play the variant, and whether you have a team preference.

8. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

9. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Use dashed lines... If you will make a table for Jason might be intersting. After 70 turns or so I may run my program for LogPlot.

10. AlanH

Jason doesn't mean anything until the game is over. Its major contribution is the win bonus calculation based on victory condition. For incomplete games all it does is to normalise the scores by multiplying firaxis score by 10000/best_score

11. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I see. So only Fraxis mean something. (In fact very little, I did post-game analysis: cuvers goes up and down and weakly correlated with events...). However to make Graph more redable, what do you think about an idea to plot Log[Fraxis] ? Assuming that at turn 0 all have Fraxis=1?

12. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

M-Bax, to make you life esear I try to form my team via PM.
    Currently team is:
    1.I. Larkin, Deity
    2. Mabellino, Monarch
    3. Kaiser_Berger, Emperor+
    4. King Alexander, Monarch
    5. Vacant for Warlord/Regent. (ZabMilenko(?))
    We play vanilla 1.29f, non-variant.

13. tao

tao Deity

Yest, it means very little. Firaxis is based on territory and happy people. Look at our game: we were pursuing the dominating path (mostly) without diversion. We did not build temples, because in monarchy you have military police. Thus our borders did not expand and thus our Firaxis score was low. This was not "weakness", but a side effect of us concentrating on the end game.

On the ups and downs: If you are attacked, you get inverse ww, people are happy, score rises. Unless you loose a luxury by war or because you fail to renew alux deal: people are unhappy, score drops. Likewise if you get ww in republic.

14. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

Per your request MB:

SesnOfWthr
    M60A3TTS
    Romeothemonk
    Tallanas

15. mabellino

mabellino Muggle

Eeep Monarch! I've played a few games (mainly GOTM's) at this level but I'm not sure if I can be classed as a monarch player! On the other hand, with Ivan's planning and analysis, I'm sure I could manage a deity! Check out our thread for an example of what I mean!

So M-B, who will be our secret surprise top player then??? put us out of our misery!

16. AlanH

We could try a log scale for the next game, as a second graph. Let's wait until the game's under way. There's not much data early on anyway, and there's usually some heavy maintenace work to do as we get started ;)

I'd also be interested to see how the rate of change of score moves - that's an exponential function during the growth phase as well - it may be a more sensitive measure of what happened in people's games and when. SO I may plot that as well.

Re. the identification of more teams, I'm not sure about dashed lines. They all lie on top of each other, and dashes may be difficult to separate visually. I've actually put a small deviation - 0, +1, -1 pixels - on successive lines, just to try to reduce the overlaps. I think I'll work out a method for selecting the ones you want to include in the graph so that players can focus on the ones they are interested in.

17. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

1. Artillery pieces of any discription may be kept if captured.

2. For the first civ you meet, you must declare war before leaving the diplomacy screen for the first time. You don't have to open diplomacy immediately, and you may wait until you are contacted if you so wish. For all other civs the clock starts ticking once you have closded the dip screen with them for the first time. The exception here is if you run out of civs, because you haven't met them yet, and more than 20 turns has elapsed since you last declared on someone. In this case you have to declare war iimediately before leaving the diplomacy screen for the first time.

3. Good

4. When you declare war for the first time, no more than 20 turns may elapse before declaring war on the 2nd civ you met. You MUST declare war on the next civ if you eliminate the previous civ within the 20 turn rule. Standard NOW merely requires that you declare war on the next CIV as soon as the previous civ is eliminated, but to prevent sandbagging and teams delaying the next war declaration by keeping a settler on a boat alive etc, the 20 turn rule applies.

5. See 4. (But yes you can - I bet you don't though.)

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Warlord

AlanH...Great job on the results/summary pages. It looks like we'll have even more info for analysis/comparison for SGOTM3!

A couple of suggestions:

Since MB really seems to be raising the bar for teams going for the variant, how about adding a field in the team summary stating whether the team is pursuing the variant or not.

Could a toggle checkbox be added by each team in the summary portion so that only those teams checked are included in the scoring curve graph?

Could the team name in the summary link to each team thread? Not a big deal for teams currently playing but very nice for lurkers.

19. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Posted in error. :blush:

20. AlanH

I'll add a checkbox to the player/team database for M-B to set if he agrees (I don't read the other team threads, so I don't have the info).

That was the idea behind my point: "I think I'll work out a method for selecting the ones you want to include in the graph" :)

OK. I'll try to set that up.