SGOTM3 Rome - Announcement and Sign Up Thread.

Alanh: I have not seen sign ups for AdrianE or zamint3. Do you need replacements for these players?

Looks like it. Haven't heard from either of them since we finished SGOTM2.

Hi Mad-Bax & Alan.

Just back from a wonderful vacation & ready to rumble.

I'm happy to lead a team into mediocrity once again if you are looking for team leader volunteers. Ted Jackson PM'd me that he'd like to play on my team again (glutton for punishment I guess :lol: ). So, could you place Ted & I on a team, along with reserved #3 and #4 spots on the same team?

I'll PM the 4-player team roster to you as soon as we hook it up. Then you can place #5 & #6 as you see fit to balance us out. I realize the game begins pretty soon.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in to run the SGOTM. :thumbsup:

Hi handy,

Ted has been poached :p sorry. I do have a team for you to lead however.

So far we have 75 sign-ups and 15 teams. :)

I'll sign up for Handy and T_McC's team.

Edit: Question answered on page 10.

Mad-Bax,

Just to clarify the variant, it sounds like we can never make peace, and will eventually be in an Always War game. The main difference between AW & OW appears to be that you get 20 free turns before you have to declare war (except for the first civ you meet).

Say we meet 3 civs on the same turn. We declare on Civ A immediately, then declare on civ B 20 turns later, and civ C 40 turns (20+20) later. Correct?

2. You must declare war on the first Civ you meet before leaving the diplomacy screen for the first time.
3. You must stay at war with that Civ until one of you have been eliminated.
4. You must declare war on the second Civ you met on the same turn that the first Civ was eliminated or 20 turns has elapsed (whichever happens sooner).

me again...

Reading through, I noticed coletite and Tinkez wanted to play on team handy again.

As long as these guys are up for the variant, feel free to add them to Team Handy with T_McC, Yom & myself unless you’ve already assigned these guys elsewhere. I’d be happy to play with them again.

Given this is PTW where armies are not nearly as useful as in C3C, the variant will be difficult indeed. Should be good fun.

Here's an idea to simplify the trading questions I've seen in the posts. If you want a tech the AI has, you must ask "what do you want for tech X". You can either accept or decline the offer. If the AI will not offer it, that's your tough luck. This will eliminate the exploit of asking what the AI wants on one turn, then offering the AI a little less the next turn. A sneaky way to haggle. Won't matter too much anyway... OWE will pretty much make us tech laggards after the first few turns, and once we are @ war we can't trade. Might get a WM off someone for cash that will be helpful.

FWIW, I just as soon forbid trading, after all, we're xenophobic. :D

handy900 said:
Just to clarify the variant, it sounds like we can never make peace, and will eventually be in an Always War game. The main difference between AW & OW appears to be that you get 20 free turns before you have to declare war (except for the first civ you meet).
I think you're right handy, this could easily turn into an AW game. The "anti-sandbagging" measures in MB's rules are a little different from the NOW variant described by Arathorn. Using Arathorn's guide, you could conceivably form some alliances, and the last civ you meet could be a "friend" until all others have been eliminated.

The thing that makes this appear more challenging is that once you meet the second civ, you've basically got 20 turns to eliminate the first before you find yourself fighting 2 civs. Hmmmm... multifront wars at Emperor level...

This variant is a sure-fire formula for a slugfest. :D

scoutsout said:
Hmmmm... multifront wars at Emperor level...

A two front war @ emporer on PTW is going to be a tough nut to crack. :)The early war will force your GA with few cities, assuming we have iron. OWE with no iron would be a really tough nut. No iron, no horses, forget it. I don't think Mad-Bax will do that to us. :)

But still, it's the classic AW early game question. Do we explore to see where the iron & horses are and risk contact? Or do we back settle away from where we think the AI is (based on the mimi map) so we don't make contact & pray we find Iron in our hinterlands.

Open invitation to all... if you have not played an war variant, there are lots of SG links to ongoing & completed AW SGs in my signature. :D Be prepared to do self-research and be a full age behind in techs and at war with everyone. IIRC we were so far behind in one game (HNDY03 maybe?) we researched a tech in 4 turns with a lone scientist while we were in anarchy. :lol:

tao said:
Yest, it means very little. Firaxis is based on territory and happy people. Look at our game: we were pursuing the dominating path (mostly) without diversion. We did not build temples, because in monarchy you have military police. Thus our borders did not expand and thus our Firaxis score was low. This was not "weakness", but a side effect of us concentrating on the end game.

On the ups and downs: If you are attacked, you get inverse ww, people are happy, score rises. Unless you loose a luxury by war or because you fail to renew alux deal: people are unhappy, score drops. Likewise if you get ww in republic.
I thoudht that Territory does not included in Fraxis. Only population. (If happy=unhappy it is simply total number integrated over time. I read your thread, and as far as I can see you delay with settler Factory, and stop it early compare to other teams, (we did not manage at all).
I will put at SGOTM2 discussion new picture with some events marked.

Kaiser_Berger said:
Additional info...

Version: PTW preferred, but Vanilla is a possibiltity.
Variant: Can go either way on this.
Level: I can typically surive deity...with a decent start.
Team: Haven't been on one yet, so really no preference.
@Mad-Bax, I think that means that K_B is fit for my team, If you have in mind somebody else, let me know by PM.
Ivan

Not to get caught up over the contact rule, but to clarify: You have a scenario where the Aztecs, Babylonians, and English all appear on the same IBT. Do you declare on the first civ you open a diplo screen with, or is it the first civ that popped into view during the IBT, or can you choose any one of the three to declare on?

I. Larkin said:
I thoudht that Territory does not included in Fraxis. Only population. (If happy=unhappy it is simply total number integrated over time.
Look at the score part of the F8 screen ....

scoutsout said:
I think you're right handy, this could easily turn into an AW game. ......... The thing that makes this appear more challenging is that once you meet the second civ, you've basically got 20 turns to eliminate the first before you find yourself fighting 2 civs. Hmmmm... multifront wars at Emperor level...

IMHO the real challenge is the xenophobic part. In AW games, you make scores of slaves and conquer cities with nice Wonders. In the variant, you have to build up your military and at the same time build lots of settlers and workers.

Is it too late for joining any team for SGOTM game? If not, I'd like to try this king of games.
Thanks.

Hi Sir_Ortin :wavey:

Thankyou for your sign-up.

To help me place you in the best team for you, please could you let me know.

1. The version of software you would like to play. (PTW or Vanilla 1.29f)

2. The level you feel comfortable playing. (Chieftain to Deity)

3. Whether you would like to play the variant (Not recommended for regent level and below).

Thanks very much. :)

handy900 said:
Mad-Bax,

Say we meet 3 civs on the same turn. We declare on Civ A immediately, then declare on civ B 20 turns later, and civ C 40 turns (20+20) later. Correct?

Correct. Though there are 12 opponents and it will take some time to meet the first civ, and you don't have to open diplomatic relations immediately. So if you do the maths....

Hi Mad-Bax.
1. I have both PTW(1.27f) and Original(1.29f), but usually I play PTW.
2. As to level, at monarch I usually win. At emperor I lose more often than win.
3. I'd like to play in something orther than game with usual rules.
Thanks.

Top Bottom