1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Shadow game - help me beat Emperor

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Noble Zarkon, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Buktu

Buktu Warlord

I would probably consider an aqueduct and a dam in your capital as well. This will get you even more adjacencies for the IZ and more housing since you want to grow your capital.
    Also you could think about adding some theater squares if your long term goal is to go for a CV.

cylenalag and MrRadar like this.
  2. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I agree with the need for more scouting :)
    The way I see it, early game Egypt is pulled all over the tree. They kinda need to get to Currency fast, if they want those early merchants, they also need the Wheel for their UU, if they plan war, so it is already a competition between middle and bottom of the tree, and this coastal start also throws in the top of tree in the equation, because of traders through harbours. If production is ok, the strain may be less, but here, with production so scarce as it is, the pressure to make choice which part of the tree to prioritize becomes much stronger.

If you plan early war, you must know that you have a very close neighbour and it would be good to know the terrain around your targets, so that you could decide what units you need. If their cities are on open plains, more ranged units may be useful to bring down the defenses, but if it is rough, hilly and wooded, obstructing ranged fire, then probably you'll need more hard hitting ones, probably even some siege. Then you go all out producing your military, as they will turn into captured cities and districts. But you must know your target more than less.

As for the district plans, I agree with @Buktu. If you're putting down an IZ, probably it is worth to try and max out its adjacency, in this case with Aqueducts and a Dam. Commercial Hubs probably could go to other tiles.

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yeah that's how I felt when trying to put a plan together!

4. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hmm, where would you put the Dam, I don't think you can put it on straight stretches can you?

5. Noble Zarkon

OK I've played a few more turns and things have crystallised a bit, Phillip is not particularly near and there's lots of land to claim yet.

I cleared the barb camp down south but a barb quadrireme killed my slinger and warrior then another barb camp popped up very near my first two cities! I slotted in Agoge, improved my military situation and cleared the Barb camp.

Shedet has been founded and has started on the Campus (planning to buy a builder there as soon as I have enough), the capital is also building a +2 campus next to the reef.

I've got a governor title and another one will come when the campus finishes via State Workforce, my plan is to appoint Magnus in the capital and give him provision so I can pump out a few settlers.

Found Crater Lake, not the greatest of Wonders but I can settle next to it for fresh water and leave the river for districts / wonders.

Found Wilhemina in the NE, getting absolutely hammered by barbarians - guess she got most of mine lol.

Not quite sure what to build in Akhetaten, maybe a granary.

20200920083550_1.jpg

Attached Files:

cylenalag likes this.
  6. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Yes, you can. Dam needs to have 2 adjacent sides touching the river, and this condition is satisfied on every floodplains tile next to that straight bit of the river between the two cities.

The conclusion above should help you find an answer to the question below :)
    When in doubt, build a settler. Or a builder. Don't leave the burden of building settlers to the capital alone. Magnus can move and come in time to save population in multiple cities. When you have enough cash to buy a settler, you can move Magnus to a new frontier city which has grown to size 2, and buy a settler there, to save the travel time, so that the settler wouldn't have to come all that way from the heartland.
    Currency is about to complete too, so Akhetaten will have more important things to build before granary. It has 5 pops to work 5 productive tiles. Another pop has only 2 food tiles to work, not ideal.

cylenalag, Noble Zarkon and Buktu like this.
  7. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

t132-t151

Spoiler :

t132-t151 - Renaissance imminent, scholars claim.
    ...and it will be Heroic :D
    Spoiler :

Goodness me! My business here might not be that important, after all. Run!

In between buying land to finalize borders with city states and AI, traders, and settlers, I also try to buy a building or two.

End of the Dark Medieval Era. Only 10 points wasted in overflow, not so bad.
    It looks like Swenett will manage Petra. Nobody from the known world was going for it.

I exclude Exodus of Evangelists from the dedications and pick the rest.
    My worker next to Swenett, who was on the forest, now is outside the forest. For the umpteenth time I made a note to myself, not to drag the map when a unit is selected, because that may end up in a movement order, like it has happened in this case. But Golden Monumentality increased movement makes this mistake not so bad.

I do like to take a look in the Trade Routes tab, when Golden Reform of the Coinage is in, and Wisselbanken card is slotted in, and those routes go to my allies.
    And hey, Swenett got Petra! It has transformed into a passable city now. :)
    Mausoleum was hanging around, all available, so Ra-Kedet will try to pick it. That was a bit of a dilemma, as Isidore of Miletus could be picked up with a 5 turns long project here, but I decide to continue with the Mausoleum. Maybe I'll scrape up enough faith to buy Isidore.

Cleo denies entry visa to Mr Bardi. She wants Medici bloke in. Anyone from Renaissance is at least a bit better than this one.

Time to renew alliances comes and look how turntables. I bought a lot of tiles around Mendes and I'm chopping all the jungle and marshes around with Magnus to boost population, so loyalty should hold there. So I renew Economic Alliance with Wilhelmina, but with Phillip II we'll try...

...a scientific approach, for now.

You did not think I would let it go so easily, did you? The barb courser is somewhere else, so I finish my business in the North of avenging for my brave scout, brutally murdered in these environs, with additional bonus of the Military Tactics eureka and another envoy in Muscat for the cleared camp, and then I turn back with a clear conscience :)

Some time ago I got Emilie, now I pop her hoping for 3 Renaissence eurekas that I'm missing, I get all three from Industrial instead.

Mausoleum finished, and annoyed Qin denounces me.

More important though, that Phillip nicked Isidore. Oh well. Next in line is Leonardo. Cleo prepares to 'misplace' the entry visa stamp. +1 culture workshops? Pah!

t151 is the Market day, and among all the trades this one is most amusing. So I take it :)

Deals done, Heroic Era is in full swing. Eindhoven is about to flip in 3 turns or so. This time I will get it. The units are already in position.

t152-171
    Spoiler :

t152-171 - wonderful Egypt
    Spoiler :

Looking good this time. And much more successful WC - 2 points!

Another GM, and next level alliances

Kilwa done, GL done. Eindhoven taken with a musketman, boosting Square Rigging. I'm slightly aiming for Steam Power. Egypt has a canal to build.

Renaissance comes to an end. I hope to get the remaining points to chain another GA. More wonders under construction. Forbidden City is contested though. Oxford next in Ra-Kedet.
    At this point, I'm already doing whatever, not so keen on optimizing. Nothing matters much any more. With such cashflow, I'm going to buy whatever buildings I need, and then I'll buy all the art from AI that I'd be able to store, unless I'll already be buying spaceports with Reyna.

t172-181
    Spoiler :

t172-181 chain the gold!
    Spoiler :

When the time comes to renew alliances, I check the situation, and Eindhoven can hold only just, when I'm in Heroic and Spain in Normal, with Wilhelmina in Dark. I want no more surprises here, therefore...

...Egypt is back to the Cultural Alliance with Spain. Economic alliance renewed with the Netherlands, and besides, Research alliance signed with Sumer, Military alliance signed with Harald, very fitting and thematic. 100% RP. As Qin denounced me earlier, I give him the finger. He promptly re-denounces me next turn. Fine, be like that.

Egypt's been blessed with coal

t178 Coliseum. Cities still only content. They won't be happy on purpose, I see.

On the last day of the Renaissance, Cleo is presented with this report. Exactly 2 era score missing to the Golden Industrial Era, and exactly 2 Great People ripe for recruiting. Cleo misplaces her note to herself to misplace the entry visa stamp for Leonardo and double stamps the visa. Then she double stamps the invitation to Mr Todar Mal. +1 culture on two workshops is just great, never better. Bonus to domestic trade routes, of which she has 0, is just fantastic! Great benefits. Welcome to Egypt, you two!

To the point. Just perfect! :D

Yeah, we'll keep reforming the coinage. Does absolute marvels to the cashflows, those reforms, they really do.

When Cleo is told, who's next in line after Leonardo, she laughs herself to sleep. She hasn't got the worst one, after all.

If it so happens that Cleo is not in the mood, she takes a look into the trade routes tab... and she's back in the mood in no time :)

In the year 1200, Egypt starts the most ambitious project ever undertaken by Mankind. The 2 caravels, that have spent centuries in this closed sea, have reach a mature enough age to be trusted to venture out into the large all by themselves. Cleo ordered the Giza canal to be dug. Preferably, before the blocking ice melts, to justify the investment.
    Also, I forgot it was the Market day. Must remember to renew the trades before the next session

Well, that was a fruitful weekend :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Turn 85
    Spoiler :

Spain has been defeated after I pull another horsemen and upgrade 1 swordsmen. Loyalty was a big issue and I even pulled off Amani (put 2 more envoys back Hattusa). If I remembered the captured Entertainment Complex would have solved issue, it would have helped. It also would have helped if I remember the Egyptian UU existed too, but alas.

Because of the chance of culture victory, I decided to keep Spain alive though apparently his remaining city is bigger than I thought and causes a bit of a loyalty problem. As always I sell all my favor before I lose it all from the -5 favor per turn for taking someone's capital

I also pick Fertility Rites to get a free builder as the production is simply awful. Although normally this is a pretty bad pantheon, chopping the Temple of Artemis and Pyramids is a good thing and I probably wouldn't get it otherwise.

To my surprise nobody seems to want the last religion and the captured Spanish Holy Sites is slowly getting one. I plan to run Holy Site projects to get the prophet.

Also nice is nobody cared for Commercial Hubs. I built one in my government plaza city to keep the war funds coming.

This is an awful spot for Oracle but given I have nowhere else to put it and it could go at any turn, I'm making a halfhearted attempt at it.

Barbarian quadriemes are terrorizing the coast but I didn't improve any sea resources anyways.

Turn 104
    Spoiler :

As this game was in multiplayer I forgot to renew my friendship with Wilhelmina. But then she wants to take over my City State so I must deal with her. As my super late religion is founded, I will take Defender of the Faith and pass it over the City State to make fighting easier, though I don't have crossbows at the moment.

A Great General is for sale, so I figure I might as well pick this up soon too. Meanwhile chopping Colosseum.

I don't own any of the NFP DLCs, so I was slightly confused when I was able to build a Diplomatic Quarter. I built it and forgot it had buildings, unfortunately.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. Noble Zarkon

t55
    Akhetaten completes Slinger, Settler slotted in, Commercial Hub will be next, Magnus appointed.
    Spanish settler spotted to the North, maybe I don't have as much room as I thought!

t56

Sell spare honey and some horses to Wilhemina.
    Stop Campus build in Capital with one turn to go, new era starts in 6 turns and will complete it in monumentality. Start builder

t60
    Get the horses back from a tribal village!
    Send Caguana an envoy, have 1 in each of the 3 city states I have met (cultural, industrial and scientific).
    Find Madrid and Valencia, both on a river. Start researching the wheel :satan:

t61
    Enter normal age, monumentality.
    Magnus promoted to Provision.

t63
    Capital completes builder and goes back to Campus.
    Buy another builder in Shedet, will make sure both have 1 charge left when Pyramids complete.

t67
    Philip declares on Buenos Aires, he has already conquered Fez.

Stopping now, PP in in 3 turns need to confirm my plans.
    Spoiler My lands :

20200921095553_1.jpg

Spoiler Spanish lands :

20200921095547_1.jpg

Attached Files:

10. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Well, it might not have been the best choice. How many specialty districts do you plan to complete during this era? I doubt there will be that many, when you have fighty thoughts. For this dedication to be justified, you must be sure of unobstructed peaceful development and settler spam.

Else, it is almost always better to pick Inquiry, as you're much more likely to pick up multiple eurekas and construct a couple of libraries. Now you'll complete 2 campus districts for 2 era score, maybe one or two CH... When with Inquiry you could've scored the same 2 for the libraries on top of eurekas.

If you play a religious game, Normal age Exodus can be quite attractive dedication as well.

Another mistake - making your first trade route domestic, especially when Wilhelmina is your neighbour. This is much more serious. Cleo's strength is international trade routes, so if anything, it is better to fulfill CS trade routes quests, but it would be good to have an AI trading partner as well. As soon as you've learned that Wilhelmina was your neighbour, you probably should've scouted the closest city of hers so that your first trader knew where to go.

Now the diplomatic situation is such that you think about fighting Philip, who's likely to turn friendly faced, but you've mightily annoyed Wilhelmina by not having a trade route with her (-12), and she's likely to denounce you. When you think about war, it is also useful to have some friends, Wilhelmina was ideal for this role.

So, two tut-tuts ;)

Now about Spain. Philip's settlement of Valencia was already a statement, and the following forces your hand even more:
    If you let him take BA, you risk being boxed in in your peninsula. So yes, I think you should prepare to go bonk some heads. You have the Wheel, so now the time is probably for the Horseback riding, and Iron Working would be nice too. You see the Iron, decide how to connect it.

Spanish cities are open for ranged fire, though Valencia and Fez may require some coming around from the more open side. But prepare well, come with sufficiently large force to bring the cities down quickly. It is better to blitz him than let his cities build walls. Hostile Suzerainty in Caguana and Hattusa may create annoying distraction, keep that in mind. I don't know, if you have time for CHs now. Better start banging out those units.
    When you go in, try to drag in Wilhelmina on your side, if she's still on speaking terms with you by that time.

11. Noble Zarkon

Thanks for the feedback, probably should have paused before the choices but the learning is also about learning when I'm making significant choices that I need to stop and think about!!

So Tier 1 government, I'm thinking Oligarchy - the UUs won't benefit from the +4CS but I'll need some melee anyway and the experience will help all my units although Autocracy has more military cards. Classical Republic is a peacetime government so I'm discounting it just now.

12. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

You can pick Autocracy first, it will be helpful for completing the Mids and you'll have more flexibility during the unit production stage. Then, when shots are about to be fired, switch to Oligarchy.

cylenalag likes this.
  13. Noble Zarkon

14. Archon_Wing

@Noble_Zarkon

Political Philosophy seems a bit slow here considering we have a cultural CS. Maybe the monuments came in a bit slow, or you may have stalled for the State Workforce Inspiration for too long (sometimes you just can't hold it for too long if you already boosted PP). It is worth buying a monument in cities that cant build them.

Also don't take Provisioner so fast. It's nice to save pop, but none of your cities are that large and you can't make settlers that fast anyways even if you went full chop. You would benefit much more from Amani or Pingala

It also looks like you're buying some tiles as well. Since Gold is sorta scarce at the start, you may want to hold off on that for a bit. Buying the horses is fine, though I am not sure if you bought those fish tiles.

At this moment, you're probably not ready for war at all, unless you want to commit to a few horsemen soon.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  15. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

At this moment no, but with some dedication, in about 25-30 turns, probably yes. But the commitment must be serious: after PP comes, the capital puts settler on hold and switches to units, in other cities, after Pyramids and campus, just units as well.
    That's already almost t100 which means OP may be facing X-bows before too long. If walls go up, the pain will be even greater. But it is still very possible at least to push Spain back (although taking of Madrid seems to be necessary, to deal with loyalty). Buenos Aires may stall Philip a bit and cause him some casualties, then the attack may come just in time when he's weakened.
    With at least 4 Maryannus (better 6), 3-4 horses and as many warriors into swordsmen as possible (however, getting iron will be tricky/costly; suzerainty over Hattusa is price of gold here). The risk is a possible double war, with Wilhelmina as well, and it may be necessary to defend against hostile CSs. But then again, those units then may capture some builders, some settlers, do some pillaging to keep up.

16. Archon_Wing

Well the problem here is that the CS falling will be troublesome with Spain on our doorstep. I feel like with 4 cities already that one should be building troops and not extra settlers/pyramids.Yes I know I built wonders in my own game, but that also caused issues.

Spain's city defenses are all around 20, meaning he probably has chariots at best, so even a couple of horsemen and archers should be able to do good damage. If we attacked around t75 or so, then it would be much easier. As played, I'd actually save my gold and maybe trade some extra more, to instantly buy a horseman.

cylenalag likes this.
  17. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

@Archon_Wing, yes I agree, this is already closer to changing horses midstream. As for the numbers of troops, after some bad experiences with stalled attacks, now I prefer a slight overkill than bringing in almost enough units but not quite :)
    Perhaps it would be possible to attack earlier, depending on how Philip's attack on BA goes and how his military score evolves.

cylenalag likes this.
  18. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

t182-191
    Spoiler :

182-191: more wonders and naughty Philip
    Spoiler :

One forest chop and Forbidden City is done. Third IZ placed in preparation for Ruhr.

The first one of those. 2 DV points incoming.

Too late I realize what was going on and my obstruction is already ineffective. Thebes starts a Potala Palace in competition to the Spanish attempt just over the mountains in Fez. Egypt has an edge.

Another successful WC, with cheaper TS buildings and scientific CS bonuses. I'm all over the place for victory conditions :)

After having passed on Young and Mendeleev, I pick Darwin.

I also get impatient and buy out Giovanni with faith. Eindhoven has just completed a fresh CH.

Oxford done. Wonder-whoring like there's no tomorrow.
    Sadly, Caguana will fall. I've sent in there 4 envoys to gain Suzerainty, hoping to force peace, but no, no effect, still at war with Spain. Well, at least that was 2 era score for kicking out Gilga.
    Next alliance with Spain will hardly be cultural, unless they get golden age.

t192- to the end
    Spoiler :

t192-t255 Wonderful Egypt
    Spoiler :

Many wonders and a few dozens of turns later, Egypt looks like this:

The East - industry, finance, fun, science, national parks - you name it :)

The West - spiritual heart, and an engineering feat down in the cold South.
    Spain captured Caguana, but through alternating research and cultural alliances with them I flipped them into a free city and liberated, before they joined me.

The North - more industry, more science, culture and money.

Pressing "Next turn" triggers a CV:

I was kinda drifting towards space, but on Emperor the AI was no help in getting through those GP to the useful ones, so it was still quite far.
    In the meanwhile I got carried away building all those available wonders and setting up national parks, and three rock bands sped-up the things, so it ended in a CV.
    At this point I have 19/20 DV points, so DV was 11 turns away as a runner-up.

Big Ben spike

GPs

Only my poor brave scout among Egypt's casualties. May he rest in peace in those magnificent Pyramids!

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  19. Noble Zarkon

Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree, poor scouting early on has left me in this position.

Plan is to finish the Pyramids but the other 3 cities switch immediately to military.

20. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I'd say, finish that one settler and +4 campus, it is only couple of turns remaining anyway, no big deal now, and continue with settler in the capital to benefit from Colonization for those 3 turns until PP, then swap cards for military production and start on units.