[BTS] Shadow Game Time!! Immortal Game To Further up my Game!

CGQ

Warlord
Haven't done one of these in a while so I figured I might as well! I'll finish this one all the way to the end!

Spoiler Rolled a random start with random settings and we got... :

Ah the charismatic (and attractive) warmonger!
20230105151107_1.jpg

Settings:
20230105151303_1.jpg

Spoiler The start... :

20230105151252_1.jpg

Hmmm...interesting. We have one wet irrigated corn and one dry corn. Double corn capitals are always nice!

So far it's looking like settling 1E of lake (on PH) for a faster worker while teching AH>Mining>BW is the play. There may be more food to the east anyways, maybe even a cow or sheep.

With these forests and hills this will make it nice to get out lots of settlers. Plus...while this capital lacks rivers for cottages, since we are a warmonger CIV, mining some of these hills later on will make for some nice hammers to make units to conquer the world! (and with extra food for whipping to boot!)

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Carlos The Immortal Shadow III BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    50.5 KB · Views: 22
Hmm 1SE is the ‘default’ move, and actually I think you know all the tiles you give up by making that move (edit - except 2W1S which points to scout that way) So I think less value checking east iif you’re going to move there anyway.

Might be better to check south with the scout to see if a T2 settle on the southern PH is worth it? North looks like tundra so probably less value checking that out.

Reactions: CGQ
I'm gonna assume you meant AG not AH. Agree 1SE is default move, would scout 2SW and if we find something really nice could settle SW instead.

Low seas + cold = barbarian disaster incoming. Fortunately you're AGG, but you should still keep in mind that the barb situation is likely to be very serious if you're not saved by copper here.

With these forests and hills this will make it nice to get out lots of settlers. Plus...while this capital lacks rivers for cottages, since we are a warmonger CIV, mining some of these hills later on will make for some nice hammers to make units to conquer the world! (and with extra food for whipping to boot!)
Yes you can get out a lot of settlers, but you need to get a source of :commerce:. There are some green tiles that you can cottage, it's certainly better than working ph mines. Being a warmonger doesn't change the value of hills. Hills matter only when getting wonders.

I'd move the scout 2E first and then settle 1E of lake if there's nothing there. Commerce is the bottleneck here so finding a river would be really nice.
Why AH first?
Oops I meant AG haha

What I tried to say in the last message is that you should re-consider tech choice after agri is in. Mining-BW is a very useful thing to go for in general, but with very weak starting techs and low :commerce: it's far from clear whether that's better than for example wheel-pottery. 2:hammers: cc takes off immediate pressure to produce enough :hammers:, 1:food:2:hammers: tiles can be used temporarily to get warriors out and so on.

Finding a river would be great, but it's also unclear whether that should direct you towards min-BW or wheel-pot, it depends on the timing of everything. Even the 1 extra :commerce: from river tiles is very welcome.

This is a rare start where I can't imagine what the scout could possibly find that might ever change my settling decision.

Which means it's also the rare start where I'd move the settler onto the hill first, get the extra vision, then decide which way to send the scout.

I agree to some extent, though I think gems would change my mind. Also since you are guaranteed to start with agri, meeting someone pre-T5 is of value (2:science: per met AI I think).

This is a rare start where I can't imagine what the scout could possibly find that might ever change my settling decision.

Which means it's also the rare start where I'd move the settler onto the hill first, get the extra vision, then decide which way to send the scout.
And I did just that :)

Spoiler Moved Settler :

20230105235511_1.jpg

Didn't find anything better. We did find a river but it's a plains river. What do you all think?

I'd move scout on the settler intending to move scout 2SE next turn before settling. You can see floodplains, so maybe worth moving away from dry corn.

I'd move scout on the settler intending to move scout 2SE next turn before settling. You can see floodplains, so maybe worth moving away from dry corn.

Spoiler Moved Scout :

20230106002647_1.jpg

Well well well...this is interesting.

Yeh, I think moving again to gain food and river tiles is obvious now.

Ag, then pause and think. Having some :commerce: and a connected 2nd city doesn't suggest wheel-pot, but on the contrary mining-BW to expand asap. And then there is AH to think about.

Not sure if I'd go north with the scout btw, you are north of the equator (can see from the trees) so I'd dash SE trying to meet someone for +2:science:.

I agree to some extent, though I think gems would change my mind.
But gold wouldn't ofc..with +9:food: at size 2.
J/K you got excellent advice here :)

Scout SE as Sampsa wrote, not just for an AI but it also looks like tasty green river land down there.
Helps with deciding on AH (double discount via hunting)..for example if another strong AH resi shows up close it's becoming more and more tempting.
5:food: corn alone north isn't that great anymore when you find paradise valley instead.

Ag, then pause and think. Having some :commerce: and a connected 2nd city doesn't suggest wheel-pot, but on the contrary mining-BW to expand asap. And then there is AH to think about.

Not sure if I'd go north with the scout btw, you are north of the equator (can see from the trees) so I'd dash SE trying to meet someone for +2:science:.

Spoiler Turn 11 :

Found more corn and clams NE though :D
20230106132102_1.jpg

20230106132110_1.jpg

Moving my scout more SE and I find jungles...and GEMS!
20230106132117_1.jpg

Turn 9 we finally meet our first AI:
20230106132542_1.jpg

Turn 11: AGRI is in. So far there are no other AH resource besides piggies. Surely one set of pigs can't justify spending 11 whole turns for AH?
20230106132711_1.jpg

I'm thinking mining>BW as the next move? Maybe later on trade ALPHA for IW to build double gem city!

Attachments

• Carlos The Immortal Shadow III BC-3560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    65.4 KB · Views: 10
3E of Bibs seems a good call here...good share city on river and leaves clams open for another city later....that'd prolly be my first choice depending on where resources pop up

I agree to some extent, though I think gems would change my mind. Also since you are guaranteed to start with agri, meeting someone pre-T5 is of value (2:science: per met AI I think).

Sorry for the semi-off-topic comment (Not game specific) - but that comment has piqued my interest. Where does the 2 :science: come from? It doesn't increase it (I.E was 10 beforehand, still 10 once met.) T5 was turn 5? Is this one of those additions which adds invisible :science: to your total (I.E If you are 860 / 1000 (assuming no pop growth/changes) but are say only researching 130 :science: it might still say 1 turn, even though 860 + 130 = 990 (10 short.) Because there are other extras?

Sorry for the semi-off-topic comment (Not game specific) - but that comment has piqued my interest. Where does the 2 :science: come from? It doesn't increase it (I.E was 10 beforehand, still 10 once met.) T5 was turn 5? Is this one of those additions which adds invisible :science: to your total (I.E If you are 860 / 1000 (assuming no pop growth/changes) but are say only researching 130 :science: it might still say 1 turn, even though 860 + 130 = 990 (10 short.) Because there are other extras?

Up until turn 5 of the game, beakers that would be generated can be "stored" instead. I believe this is to make it a little more forgiving if the player spends a turn or two moving before settling their capital.

And when you apply beakers to a tech, you gain bonus research based on how many other players you have met who know that tech. So if you can save your beakers for 5 turns before committing to a tech, and meet one or more AIs who start with that tech during those five turns, you gain an extra couple beakers when you do commit all those beakers.

Top Bottom