Shadowy Seattle Technocrats Instigate New Speak Phase I: Banning Citizens

BvBPL

Pour Decision Maker
Bring in your food to the office today? Well, you didn't brown bag it, you lunch and learnt.

You didn't make out with a hot freshman at the first kegger of the year; that was a first year.

That's some fine penmanship, I mean handwriting, you've got there.

The limited power held by the Office of Civil Rights in Seattle has driven Elliott Bronstein mad, mad I tell you! The crazed fools aims to overthrow everyday words in English language and replace it with his own twisted simulacra. From high atop the Space Needle in his secret laboratory he labors ceaseless to forge new words of power that will bend the weak to his sick and perverted will.

Who can stop this lunatic? Who has the wherewithal to go mano y mano, excuse me, persono y persono with the technocrat who would be Webster?

You are no longer a citizen. You are now a resident.

Welcome to Seattle. Please enjoy your complimentary bag of rats.

I wonder if the local Sonic Drive-Ins will stand shoulder to shoulder with the city on this...

There are no sonics in Seattle. you have to go to the boonies to get one.

Awesome double entendre btw

Yeah, I'm rubbing my cleverness in your face.

I think sack lunch can easily be more offensive than brown bag.

Sack lunches are highly offensive to those of us who were QBs in high school.

@VRWC: :lol:

A brilliant idea by those people. I guess banning all terms signifying distinctions in power or other relations based on it, along with all metaphors about them, is a sure way to actually cancel power-struggles in the real world.
Pretty sure cavemen made drawings much to the same animistic effect :/

So you people used 'penmanship' instead of 'handwriting', even in cases not involving a pen? This 'brown bag' term sounds pretty terrible, but then the alternative they've come up with is worse. Fixing the 'freshman' oddity does seem eminently sensible.

Yup, every day in middle to high-school, that's what I ate my lunch out of.

A brown bag.

You're using it as a verb, right? What you bag your lunch in can be brown, but that doesn't make the bagging process itself brown. Here we call those things paper bags, but even then we don't paper bag things.

Also, brown bagging somehow sounds like it's something that mightn't end well.

Also, brown bagging somehow sounds like it's something that mightn't end well.

Well there is the expression "black bag", related to kidnapping, but i don't see why brown bag sounds that bad (iirc the article in the OP presented the view it has unsavory historic connotations, anyone know what those are?)

Well I guess it's both. Yeah, you're bagging something, but bagging into a brown bag. That's just what the typical lunch bag is, a brown paper bag. I honestly just don't see where there is any sort of potential problem with the phrase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bag_seminar
A brown bag seminar, session or lunch is generally a training or information session during a lunch break. "Brown bag" is representative of meals brought along by the attendees, or provided by the host. In the USA, those are often packed in brown paper bags. Brown bag seminars normally run an hour or two.

@Kyriakos: No, I don't. I was kind of hoping wiki could enlighten me there, but it had nothing.

It seems like its just another pseudo-point by the Seattle authority that proposed this change:

article linked in the OP said:
And while city leaders publicize "brown bag" lunch meetings as a way to designate a bring-your-own lunch time event, the term has a sordid history.

"It used to be a way people could judge skin color," Bronstein said in a phone interview.

? Were African-Americans dressed in Burqas at the time?

It seems like its just another pseudo-point by the Seattle authority that proposed this change:

? Were African-Americans dressed in Burqas at the time?

If I remember correctly, it was that no one with skin darker than a paper bag was allowed in.

Top Bottom