1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaka early domination strategy

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by OmniPotent42, Jul 31, 2013.

1. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Goal: To get the most beast promoted army the world has ever seen.
    I've done this on Immortal, but it may be harder depending on the terrain and opponents.

Techs you'll need:

Luxury/improvement techs (calendar, masonry)
    Bronze working, Mathematics (For promoted spearmen and catapults)
    After you have these techs, start beelining for civil service

The ideal army comp:
    4 spears (will only cost 2 normal spearmen thanks to Shaka's UA)
    4-5 composite bowmen (more if your opponent has a ton of units for defense)
    2 catapults

Ideal social policies:
    Open tradition if you don't see any barbarian encampments right away, with your next policy being the honor opener. If you see a bunch of encampments right off the bat, go ahead and open honor.

If you're consistent with killing barbs you should be able to have the first 3 policies in tradition before you need to start filling in honor. If you are running out of culture, just try to get the honor policy that gives you +50% experience from combat - combined with Shaka's UA that reduces promotion costs by 25% you'll be powering through those promotions.

DON'T GO FOR ANY WONDERS. I tried getting Statue of Zeus and got it, but it put me too far behind in military to make any push until Impi which is too late against Immortal+ AI.

Religion: anything to help with the upkeep/production cost is usually good, only get Holy Warriors if your faith output is pretty good.

Build order: scout -> monument -> (granary if you have at least 1 wheat) - > shrine -> worker -> ikanda -> spearman (x2 or x3) -> archer (x3) -> catapults. Rushbuy any more units you need or send them to reinforce. Hopefully your warrior upgraded into a spearmen to help with the push.

Once you research mathematics go for construction to upgrade your archers into composite bows, then get back on the path to beelining civil service.

Hopefully you've taken out one or two cities with your push, make sure to get all of the ikanda promotions on your spearmen, cover on your catapults and whatever you want on your archers and upgrade them as soon as you can to comp bows. If you do it right, you can have 5 promotions on most of your melee units, and your composite bows will be a few hits away from logistics or range upgrades before you even get impi. Once you get Impi...the world is your oyster. Attack with impi and allow them to get march and all the cover promotions to make them the most BEAST warriors ever. Use your double attack 3 range composite bows to bust down city walls in no time.

POSSIBLE THREATS:
    Other civ's UU's (like hoplites, anything that would stand in the way of the first push)
    Overexpanding (I once took all of the cities I'd conquered and ran myself into the ground with unhappiness)
    No civs on your continent (you might as well restart)

Gold deficits: if you're running a deficit you can sneak in a caravan between your military units, and make sure to get currency first on your way to Civil Service for markets.

Great Wall isn't actually that bad since your melee units have 3 movement, allowing them to move like normal units in Great Wall territory. Just make sure to take the city that has it.

What I like about this type of push is it keeps you on track to Education, so you don't have to diverge a ton of your tech into the "war" branches, since Impi are available at Civil Service. You also don't have to diverge to research luxury techs. If you can help it, keep your impi around long enough to be promoted to riflemen for the ultimate late game army. Hopefully you have kept at least one city that has a lot of good resources to use, but if you haven't you can sneak in a couple of settlers after your first push.

2. JBossch

JBossch King

There is another Zulu domination guide from a couple days ago which I based a recent game on, pretty successfully. (I only played King difficulty, and I wasn't as fast but it worked). Main difference was that he uses Liberty.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=504129

What date do you aim for your first war? How many cities do you found first?

3. glory7

glory7 King

glad to see that Zulu domination is getting attentions.

For the guide, I think you need to clarify in which difficulty you use this. I am pretty sure that this one would not work well on deity, for example.

Going honor and no settler building in your BO, it seems that you are going for one city only. Your tech will be really slow and your production will be small. You do not even have granary in your BO, which means even your cap pop won't grow much.

Your guide needs details about 1. how you deal with gpt issue, 2. how you deal with happiness, 3. how you deal with low spt. Providing sample screenshots would be really helpful, in particular.

4. CrudeDirk

CrudeDirk Chieftain

Just tried this on King, tiny, Pangaea plus. Won in turn 175. I built 2 caravans earlyish & that kept me solvent. I was lucky with Fountain oY & Grand Mesa being close, so I built 2 extra cities to take advantage of them. I also built some wonders that helped with gold. It was a v easy win. V clear guide thank you OP.

5. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I guess I should have clarified a couple of things...my rule is to only get a granary if I have wheat and if I don't to just get a worker first, which has worked fine for me on Immortal. The goal of this guide is to keep most of the perks of going tall when still having an awesome army, and if you feel like you have a reasonable capital expanding super early isn't necessary, especially when you still have to build National College.

6. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

I try to attack as soon as I feel that the AI is vulnerable or when all of my units are done. You only found one city, but that can easily be adjustable if you feel like there are great locations. I only didn't mention expansion because every Zulu game I've had the expansion locations sucked.

7. OneOfOldiest

OneOfOldiest Chieftain

For Zulu domination Bronze working tech is natural path.
    If player have luck to be near of 6 or more iron, best and fastest way to domination victory is Iron working tech for Swordsmans then Steel for Longswordsman.
    Swordsmans and Longswordsmans do not recive range attack bonus as Imps but player can get them earlier and they have better defence and attack then Spearmans or Imps, Buffalo upgrades work for them too (take it first). For long there is no better unit then Longswordsman with 3 movement points.
    Swordsmans and Longswordsmans can take cities without range units at all. Just surrond city with swords and fight, if sword is at low health, replace with another fresh unit.

8. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Maybe that's the case...but if you haven't researched education before a civ has entered the Renaissance Era then you're in trouble science-wise. And if you're trying to attack a heavily fortified city with only longswords...you're in trouble.

9. OneOfOldiest

OneOfOldiest Chieftain

I haven't said that there is no need to work on science and go for Civil service at all, just Imps aren't exclusive Shaka's war path.
    Shaka in general have great money from taking cities, player can build units and buy science buildings or do it oposite way. Swords are for Shaka great early bonus for domination victory.

10. OneOfOldiest

OneOfOldiest Chieftain

Until cities are heavily fortifed Longswordsmans can have high upgrades (3 Buffalo and few normal ones). All mele units can have all unique Zulu upgrades. Imps have bonus for range attack.

11. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

That's true...I guess that's another way to go about it - but don't underestimate the ranged attack on the Impi...you can take out composite bows in one attack with it.

And thank you, CrudeDirk :3

12. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

Thanks so much for this guide. I think I'm the worst Civ V player on the planet. I've got 1000 hours and never been able to win at anything above King.

Guides like yours are a godsend. I always wonder how some people can win the game in 250+ turns on Deity when I'm pushing 450+ turns on Prince. See! I suck!

Anyway, thanks.

13. northernscribe

northernscribe Chieftain

I've played zulu a couple times on standard size, then I tried it on large map, emperor. Lots of trouble.
    I had Mongolia to my north, Attila to the west. decided to take them out first. As soon as I had impi's I rolled over both of them. Problem was, Karkorum was Mongolia's only city, and I took out all of attila's cities, puppeted some, burned some. well, rest of the 7 civs in the game have hated me ever since. chain DOW two or three times now. Managed to snag one other capital, but severe money problems (-100 per turn sometimes), and unhappiness have made it impossible for me to expand any further. I have just now gotten my gold up to over 100 per turn again and less than -10 unhappiness, but it's teh modern era. most civs have GWB, lots of highly populated cities (which will throw my empire into massive unhappiness if I conquer now) and I'm not even in the tech lead anymore (In emperor, by modern era, I'm ALWAYS in the tech lead). So this is a very different game, mostly because of me sacking Karakorum too early, I think. Zulu is fun, because of the quick promotions, but starting wars this early, especially on large maps, can be dangerous.

14. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I had a domination victory with Zulu once and it was on an island map with a lot of water. The win wasn't that early since I made ships instead of the impies because of the large water mass. The difficulty was on emperor and it took me awhile, but it was done.

15. Kambeti

Kambeti Chieftain

How does settling more cities help with science? I would figure that +5%/city science cost would outweigh further settling, but I haven't made any calculations...

16. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

You should check out peddroelm's Honor/Commerce combo. It works pretty much with everyone, especially war flavoured like Zulu

17. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Wow! OK lets say that we settle 3 new cities and each ends up providing only 1/3 (1/2 is closer to reality)the science that the capitol provides (cap has NC and a couple academies and grows larger).

Even at 1/3 we have 2.00 vs cost raised to 1.15.