Shakespeare 1200AD

How shall we build Shakespeare?

• A. Build Shake's in Elysium, per above plan (R)

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • A. Build Shake's in Legendary, I posted a plan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A. Build Shake's in RC or elsewhere, see my plan

• A. We do not need Shakespeare's Happiness

• B. No more shopping until Shake's is paid for.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • B. The Indians are slow. Don't worry about $Rush $Buy.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • C. Rush Buy Shake's when we get the message (R)

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • C. Rush Buy Shake's early, efficiency doesn't matter

• D. Tax 70% Nil Science, earn $240, Gunpowder in 51

• D. Tax 50% Yuk Science, earn $167, Gunpowder in 8 (R)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • D. Tax 40% Som Science, earn $128, Gunpowder in 6

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • D. Tax 20% Max Science, earn $59, Gunpowder in 4

• E. Add back 10% Science after each turn

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • E. Add back 20% Science after each turn (R)

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • E. Add back 30% Science after each turn

• F. Back to 20,30,50% when we have $enough (R)

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • F. Back to 20,30,50% when we have $600

• G. All those Viking Knights! They must have Pikemen too! (R)

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • G. I still think Crusaders can storm Trondheim City Walls!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • N. Merry Christmas, Nemo! Please post a poll on ... see post.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GaryNemo

Settler from None
We have an emergency. When we built Magellan, the Russians abandoned it, but the Indians pressed us by switching to Shakespeare. They started a while ago, and we must be prepared. Fortunately, with the return of the duke o' york comes a return to solid practical reasoning.
There are many fine reasons for building Shake's in Elysium, few for building it in Legendary City. Elysium is our SSC, the #1 reason. #2 , we can build it more quickly in Elysium than in Legendary City. LC is tied up building an Aquaduct (perhaps sw to Market (N)), Elysium is available.

By sacrificing another Silver Van, we have 3 Vans. The base price after 1 turn is $1200 gold. Three vans drops that to $600. We have $485. A plan to build Shake's on the next turn, whenever it becomes necessary, seems prudent.

By rearranging Elysium serfs Silk Gems Whale, 4 Roads, Scientist, we start Shake's and defer the Aquaduct until next build. Elysium then build 7 shields per turn, so Shake's in 7 at Max Science without Rush Buy.
Gabba Gabba, serfs back to 2 Forest, Van in 6 or less, walk 1.
Nemo Bay: Van in 3, walk 3.
Dellham: Van in 1, walk 5.
So we have options, maybe other methods. But, what if we get the dreaded message next turn? For that, we need $600. We have $485. Keep Lux 30%.

Octavian X moves Saturday, so post today, vote tomorrow!

We definately want to be able to build Shakespeare's on the next turn if we get 'The Message'. Each turn we don't get it will be a bonus to our finances and can be invested in Vikings maybe.

I don't have access to check the save, so could you please post a similar analysis for LC?

I think we have two or three possible roads ahead. If we make the assumption that we will be undertaking some form of warmongering in the future, then either we have Shakespeares in the city that is supporting most of the units, or we wage war in a republic with Women's Suffrage, or under democracy with limited units, units being supported from all-ove, and maybe a bit of spending on luxuries (detracting from our science).

I would prefer to build Shakespeares in LC, because it becomes less fiddly. Elysium is fairly close to RC, so bas (un)happiness will not be as much of a problem there as in LC - it can probably be quite happy with a colloseum & cathedral combo.

If we build (shakespeares) in Elysium, then LC will have more unhappiness, and supporting a large fleet from there will be nigh on impossible.

The option is then to build in LC, and rehome to Elysium. This may be an even better option, because the shields that would have been used to support the units can be multiplied in terms of factory / manufacturing plant.

Food for thought. I'm not sure if I'm completely decided yet. However, I do want WS to be built. :)

Ainwood, we are close to total agreement. By building in LC and rehoming in Elysium, we preserve the productive capability of Legendary City. Ships we can rehome in CStraits & HillMine.

I have a question. RC Silver delivers to Dehli in 4, so a reduced Science percentage is not a great hardship. Madras also demands Silver. We have a Nemo Bay Silver in Elysium (committed to Shake's), and NB will complete another Van in 3. So, if we add to Wonder in Elysium now, or next turn, then can we build another NB Silver? If so, we could rehome in RC and send it to India.

IPRB GG $11 too, methinks.

Originally posted by GaryNemo
Ainwood, we are close to total agreement.

;)

I guess in the mid-term, we don't need to actually build much in Elysium, so we can afford to tie up its production in support costs.

Migfht slow the odd caravan down though, but that won't be too critical.

Re the silver - when is the next time that the demands change? It will take quite a few turns to deliver it to Madras. Otherwise, seems fine. :)

Caravans are Most Important - 1200AD

This poll is nearly unanimous, to build Shakespeare in Isaac with 5 Vans, and to be certain to afford Rush Buy if we get the dreaded message. So,
Elysium: start Shakespeare 0/300, need Aquaduct in 11!
  serfs: Silk Gems Whale, 4 Roads and Scientist, 7 shields

A Foreign Silk Silver Wine or Spice earns us perhaps $400, Gems or Gold even more, plus the Science beakers. An Aquaduct costs merely $150 after one turn. Better yet, PRB=60 $110 and wait 3-4 turns to complete efficiently. Domestic Routes are extra trade arrows every turn: we make 2 in Marl Downs and 2*3 = 6 in Reneaux. City Size is a factor (more trade), so REGIA CIVITAS is providing 3*5 = 15 arrows per turn.

So we need a flow to India, perhaps now Persia, and more routes in MD Ren Civvium and CJ.

We have 4 Vans. RC Silver to Dehli (or Madras) in 4 turns. Since we need gold NOW, this will help to complete Gunpowder. 3 Other Vans are near Elysium, and will save us $600 we do not have to build Shakespeare. One is Silver, and I'd like to know if we can add it to Shake's NOW , so Nemo Bay can build us another Silver in 3?

Reneaux, Size=8: Switch to Van 25/50 in 5, Spice. Ren already supports a Knight. We are building 4.Crusaders, 2.Knights, and 11.Caravans.
Nemo Bay: Van 43/50 in 3, Silver? after one turn:
  forest to irrigation for 2 turns.
Gabba Gabba: 2 Forest serfs, Van 21/30 IPRB $11 in 6
Dellham: Van 45/50 in 1, Silk, then Celebrate!
  Mine serf to ocean, WLTK @ Lux=30% , Start Van.
  Hipsheim borrows Mine for a turn or two.
Bedfont Lakes: Van 35/50 in 3, Silk or Wine
Beast Flats: Van 35/50 in 3, Silk
Fort Anarchy: Temple 24/40 in 3, then Van in 8
Cymru Straits: Van 46/50 in 1-2, Silk, NEEDS ROAD, St Van.
Routskilde: sw Cru to Van 16/50 in 9, Silk or Spice
  already a horrendous support problem.
Lindow Moss: Van 40/50 in 5, Gems (Lahore!) or Silk

Comments? Nemo Bay Silver???

Top Bottom