Shall we do an Ubuntu migration party to celebrate the upcoming BE release?

Windows servers long gone, LOL? Our datacenter is filling up to the brim with Windows servers unfortunately. All of our lines of business are shifting from Java development to .Net. WebSphere portal being replaced with Sitecore.

Windows servers long gone, LOL? Our datacenter is filling up to the brim with Windows servers unfortunately. All of our lines of business are shifting from Java development to .Net. WebSphere portal being replaced with Sitecore.

Try looking outside your garden :)
Ask Google, Facebook or Amazon what they are using! :p I manage 'a lot' of computers and I haven't seen Windows for years.

P.S. there is a reason why most smart IT businesses use on GNU/Linux on their systems. This is because if you rely on a closed and proprietary platform, your vendor can decide any day to drop support or to start charging exorbitant fees or to go out of business, and in that case you are screwed. This is the so called 'lock in'effect that every smart manager tries to avoid whenever possible. And in any case you are forced to play by their rules.
This is the main reason why Valve is leading gaming out of Windows.

[...] Linux kernel is just faster and much easier to work with (being open source has its advantages).

That's... not the case at all. If you look at low-end hardware (dual core 1GHz ARM, 512MB RAM), Windows-kernel based operating systems run notably more smoothly and performant than Linux-kernel OS's.

Or would you like to be safe from viruses? How often are you reinstalling Windows every year?

I'm not. Haven't needed to reinstall Windows since Vista.

Or, have you ever thought about full disk encryption?

Funny that, Windows is the only OS that supports hardware accelerated encryption on SSDs with OPAL and IEEE-1667 via eDrive.

sftp is more reliable, encrypted and it is basically the industry standard for remote file transfer but... it doesn't really exists in Windows, although is has been around for around 20 years, funny it isn't?

I use sftp just fine in Windows.

You can just start Ubuntu with a live system on usb and access your computer and data as usual. You can install the system via usb too. Hell, it has been several years that I don't have cd/dvd drives anymore on my computers. Is anyone out there still using them? They are so 20th century.

Yeah, Windows can do all that. I bet I got rid of my optical drives with Windows before you got rid of your optical drives.

With Ubuntu you would be able to run a versioning system on your computer too (like Git, great for any kind of coding)

I run git and Mercurial on a daily basis on Windows machines.

I'm not a Unity fan, so I'll pass on Ubuntu. But I did set up a Mint install a couple months ago. 25 - 30 of my Steam games run on Linux, which is about 20-25%. More than I expected, and including some good ones, too. Since then, I've been going back and forth between XP x64 and Mint, but it's still probably 85% in XP since more of my programs run there than in Linux.

I have a Radeon GPU, and once I switched to the proprietary drivers, they've been all right. The open source ones were impressively poor, though. Some games have rather poor OpenGL support, but others are just fine. Haven't tried Civ5 since I prefer 3 and 4 to it. So all my Civ time in in Windows.

Day to day, I don't find any great difference between XP and Mint - they're both pretty good at staying out of the way, they're both stable, and they're both sufficiently lightweight with adequate performance.

Well, it's really a case of both by and large being pretty stable and having pretty good performance. I don't doubt Mint could better take advantage of SSDs, for example, but when I already have 350 MB/s sequential and sub-0.1 ms access times in Windows, it's more of a benchmark advantage than actually feeling quicker in Mint.

Top Bottom