Shallow? Racist?

stratego

Trying to be good.
Can someone make shallow(sexist) or racist remarks on a regular basis without being shallow or racist. We all know that there are people who say kind things all the time, without really being kind. Does that also apply to people who make shallow or racist remarks?

I suppose that depends on their intentions in saying them. If they say racist things because they're trying to be controversial, or ironic, or hip, but they don't really believe the things they say, then they aren't really a racist. Tasteless, yes. Offensive, yes. But to be a racist, you have to actually believe racist things.

For Sexist remarks its not realy hard. Sometimes a Freudian slip can happen.

Originally posted by stratego
Can someone make shallow(sexist) or racist remarks on a regular basis without being shallow or racist?

If she's really good looking, yes.;)

Originally posted by Sean Lindstrom

If she's really good looking, yes.;)

Then I take it you are the Veteran of "Woman who slaps you for saying sexist remarks" :p

Can I slap women for the plentiful amount of "perfectly acceptable" sexist remarks I hear escaping their lips

Originally posted by Sobieski II
Can I slap women for the plentiful amount of "perfectly acceptable" sexist remarks I hear escaping their lips

Hmm, You can slap there behinds, but be prepared to face some Sexual Harrasment charges :ack:

Originally posted by CivGeneral

Hmm, You can slap there behinds, but be prepared to face some Sexual Harrasment charges :ack:

Incidentally did you ever see that Family Guy, where they had the "Women in the work place" tape at Peter's work? It was made in like the 1950's, and it said something like, "nothing says 'good job' like a good open-palmed slap on the behind"

Yeah they can say that and not actually be shallow and racist. You should be able to tell if they're serious or not if you know them well enough.

I make shallow, sexist, racist comments all the time, but its all in good fun. Ive never treated anyone differently because of their gender or race, but among friends, theres no harm in good natured un-PC banter.

Saying racist and sexist things is fine when done around people who know you're just joking, and that of course you don't really believe them, or at least don't let the beliefs affect your actions toward the people you're talking about.

For example, I heard Dave Chapelle (a black comedian) joke about being relieved after hearing that when a black guy sued a department store for not letting him be Santa Claus because he was black, the store won. After all, if there were a black Santa Claus the kids wouldn't get their presents till the 28th or 29th! :lol: I thought that was funny, and you know he (and me) aren't really racist. (Well, I guess it's possible that he's a black that's racist to blacks, but uh...)

I make jokes that would probably fit both descriptions alot to my friends, but that doesn't make me racist or shallow. It just means I enjoy racist and shallow humor. :p

I used to make shallow racist type jokes all the time, then I stopped. I figured if theres a chance I could offend someone it's just not worth it, there are other jokes I can make that won't offend anyone.

shallow remarks aren't the same as sexist. like when i say, "Rosa's got a nice rack" to one of my friends and look when she bends over, that isn't sexism. sexism is me saying someting like, "Men are better than woman" which is something I don't say, so i'm not sexist. to anwser your question, if someone says rascist stuff on a regular basis, they are a rascist. on doesn;thave to be violent to be a rascist.

the people who are really sexist are the ones who think that woman should stay at home and not work. the other sexists are the "Fake Femminists" who pretend to be against sexists, but actually hate men. those people are really anoying. they asume that every man is sexist, and that men are evil, yet pretend to be against sexism.

I do it a lot. People reacts to it so, it's fun!

Btw I do not consider myself shallow nor racist.

I imagine sarcastic or just not being PC, maybe. But if it's intentional, then no, they would be shallow/racist/sexist.

Originally posted by Dumb pothead
I make shallow, sexist, racist comments all the time, but its all in good fun. Ive never treated anyone differently because of their gender or race, but among friends, theres no harm in good natured un-PC banter.

Same here. I have a very good female friend that I crack jokes on often.

Originally posted by sims2789
the people who are really sexist are the ones who think that woman should stay at home and not work.

So I'm not sexist if I believe women should do all the work whilst men stay at home and play? :D

Excellent :)

I occasionally make remarks that are not really too racist/sexist, but that are some what shocking. I usually do it in a well planned attempt to point out the hypocrisy in many peoples.

I think far too many people spend far too much time discussing this very topic. If you don't like what someone is saying then tell them to shut the hell up (you can use more diplomatic words if you so prefer). If they don't then they don't. Nothing more you can do about it. If someone wants to be sexist or racism then that is their business. Personally I would encourage them to speak more because nothing shows up stupidity more than stupidity itself.

Top Bottom