Share Affinity Victory condition tips! (Purity = annoying)

Sprenk

Prince
Okay, so I just completed a Purity "Promised Land" victory, and I sure wish I'd know in advance what I was going to have to face:

After you build the Exodus Gate, you can click on it once a turn to produce a new Earth Settler unit. They move very slowly (1 move/turn) and get blocked by Workers and other similar units. You have to plonk down 20 of them in settlements, and you have to find at least four spots to do it, because each settlement can only hold 6 settlers . The settlement spots have to be "legal" for a city, spacing-wise, but they don't have to be any good, resource-wise, because the settlement will stay at one hex and never grow. Finding spots can be tough if you've settled your cities pretty close together, as I did, so some pre-planning is in order. My first game I very fortunately found three spots on the coast of a friendly AI--and one last spot on the border with an enemy!

Next time I try to win with Purity I might deliberately space my cities out a bit more, leaving a few "holes" in between.

Can anyone who has finished a Supremacy and/or Harmony victory fill us in on what's required and how it went? (I doubt it can be as challenging!)

P.S. Though nobody attacked my settlements, I stashed a military unit in each one to guard it. I get the sense my enemy would have been glad to wipe it out!

Supremacy is also a bit annoying. It requires moving 1000 strength worth of units into the gate, one unit per turn. Using the 48 STR soldier variant it takes 21 turns but can be done in 10 turns if you have built up enough of those 100+ STR tanks. The AI doesn't seem to take this as a queue to invade, but it's a neat mechanic for multi-player where you are draining your civ of military power right at the point when other people will be invading to take down your gate.

Place the Exodus Gate right next to a city, make sure it has a magrail on the tile, and then use Phasal Transporter satellites to plop a battle suit then the settler right on the tile you want.
Walking is for chumps (I did have to crash a few of my satellites to have enough oil to do this trick).

Harmony is kinda easy. You just build the Mind Flower and wait for it to bloom. I already had Stims in most of my 12 cities so the wait was only 10 turns.

the hardest part was figuring out I had to pick a tile in the city screen. At first I thought, oh hell, I wonder if all those tiles around the city need to have miasma so I wasted time by launching 3 miasma condensers around the capital. When that didn't work, I finally clicked on one of the black circles and went "DOH"

I've been exclusively going for domination victories since release on apollo. I have yet to actually complete a game as at this point I am testing strategies. I usually either decide that whatever strategy I tried was a dumb idea, or take 2 capitals+cities and quit before my eventual victory.

If Beyond Earth is anything like Civ 5 all the victory conditions are probably more easily accomplished by playing a game like you are going for a domination victory then just choosing to stop right before you win and finish one of the weird quest things.

In all my games of Civ 5 I don't think I won anything but a domination victory or a diplomatic victory back when the best course of action was just to steal all the AI's gold via gpt/lump sum trades right before a UN vote.

If Beyond Earth is anything like Civ 5 all the victory conditions are probably more easily accomplished by playing a game like you are going for a domination victory then just choosing to stop right before you win and finish one of the weird quest things.
I've not played CiV (long-time Civ1, 3 and 4), but I think that's probably not the case. Domination of other players takes such a long time fiddling around building units and moving them to the enemy cities; although admittedly in my last game Franco-Iberia had three cities on choke-points that were bastards to take, the rest weren't too bad (once I got the hang of how to do it).

My 'war' that ARC started with me consisted of me sinking 5-6 of their gunboats before eventually they sued for peace and gave up one of their largest cities, which I promptly razed 'cause I didn't want to deal with it being so far away in 'enemy' territory.

Since the AI seems so placid, you're more or left to your own devices for winning the game.

I had the same issue with Promised land. I had no idea what to expect, so I found myself low on space.

So I invaded my neighbor and made some space. Lebensraum for the win.

if you go domi, make yourself a favor and take harmony 3. a) the hybrid units take less level of your main affinity (like evolved being 2 harm, 10 other, whilst prime being 12) and you will need it to traverse the miasma ridden maps. Also, the first 3 (or 4) levels of each aff are easy to reach and hide some usefull buildings and units.

if you go contact, you can luck out of the signal phase (saving the deep space tele); keep your explorers running (give yourself purity 1) but DONT auto them; they wont pop up when they see a ruin. Otoh, if you keep moving them by hand, i got the " send an explorer" popup with the "locate" button. You can get extra expeditions on them for both low level of supremacy and high prosperity. sometimes progenitor ruins will show up when launching satellites (view from the satellite has revealed an occult petroglyph, or something) and those ruins will spawn on unimproved terrain on your borders, so try to save a desert / snow slot in each city, while launching sats one per turn.
I hate lady luck though, and only got this when i was NOT pursuing the contact victory.

if you go supremacy, it will be faster to send big units down the beam (like sending the 12 evolved angels). But if you have to build -> send, then regular marines->apostles are the way; they are 48 st and roughly .3 the hammers (sprockets?) of the angels.

if you go exodus gate, you absocompletely need phasal + magrails.

if you go mindflower, then you are just a filthy-tree-huggin-miasma-reeking-xenophile that must receive a decent stomping by my giant-death-robots-of-doom-pew-pew-lazrs-who-decided-angels-should-be-ranged?.

With my promised land victory, I probably should have prepared the roads for the earthling settlers, but I had plenty of space for them. As for the phasal transporters, I will definitely consider it when trying out this victory again.

My first win was an ARC Promised Land victory. I found out the hard way about the magrail, but I had lots of spots within a magrail move so it was just 20 turns of click the gate, click the settler, move the settler, click the colony booster.

I had a problem at the start with the button to summon the colonist, but I eventually figured it out.

Going very wide helps a ton with Harmony Transcendence victory. You can build the 2 Mind Flower accelerating buildings in every city and really cut down on the number of turns it takes for the flower to activate. It only took 6 turns in my last win on Apollo because I had ~9 cities each with Mind Stems and Xenosomethings.

Purity was tedious because the majority of the purity techs are in the latter 2 rings on the web. It became challenging trying to get to the requisite 12 to trigger The Promised Land gate. I had the requisite tech long before I had 12 purity.

harmony and supremacy were both really easy...research some techs, build the wonder, and wait (or in supremacy case, add units to warp gate). either way the wait is about the same after building the wonder (15 turns or so).

For Supremacy, internal trade routes help finish out the last build and spit out units. Send all production you can to a few cities. Since you can only push one unit through the gate per turn, there's not point in spamming units. You want to build expensive units fast. The tricky part is strategic resources. Unless you've planned ahead, you won't have enough to build 10 Angels. (60 firaxite)

You can't rely on trades because the AI will DoW you when you complete the Gate.

So, unless you're willing to capture/colonize a ton of firaxite locations, your best bet is to pre-build some of the 3 firaxite units instead, (Like 10 if possible) and then build the last 3+ units after you start sending them through.

However, this brings me to my biggest issue with the Supremacy Victory. If you have 10 Angels, and all the good firaxite spots, why didn't you just finish that mostly completed Domination Victory?? Lame.

Harmony FTW unless you're going for Domination. IMHO.

Purity was tedious because the majority of the purity techs are in the latter 2 rings on the web. It became challenging trying to get to the requisite 12 to trigger The Promised Land gate. I had the requisite tech long before I had 12 purity.
I'm pretty sure all of the affinities have their techs spread out like that. It's just the question of how many of the affinity-related techs you chose to get because of their benefits, vs getting the tech purely for the affinity points.

I've found in both my purity and harmony games that once I'd gotten to around lvl 11 or 12, I was researching techs purely for the affinity points, because my empire was already un-assailable by the AI and there didn't seem to be any need to go after tile upgrades or new buildings, etc.

I'm a bit surprised, the one I found most challenging was Harmony. There's no clear description of which techs you need to unlock the flower, I always end up at 13 affinity grabbing random techs hoping it's the right one, plus there's no description in the help section that tells you how to do it.

For Supremacy and Purity, if you have the satellite that summons units it helps. The description of the satellite is weird, but basicly when you launch the satellite you choose where people will be summoned to, and once up people can teleport there from any city you own.

For Supremacy, internal trade routes help finish out the last build and spit out units. Send all production you can to a few cities. Since you can only push one unit through the gate per turn, there's not point in spamming units. You want to build expensive units fast. The tricky part is strategic resources. Unless you've planned ahead, you won't have enough to build 10 Angels. (60 firaxite)

You can't rely on trades because the AI will DoW you when you complete the Gate.

So, unless you're willing to capture/colonize a ton of firaxite locations, your best bet is to pre-build some of the 3 firaxite units instead, (Like 10 if possible) and then build the last 3+ units after you start sending them through.

However, this brings me to my biggest issue with the Supremacy Victory. If you have 10 Angels, and all the good firaxite spots, why didn't you just finish that mostly completed Domination Victory?? Lame.

Harmony FTW unless you're going for Domination. IMHO.

dont need 60 firaxite... when the angel goes through the gate, you get the used firaxite back... only need 12, 6 to build an angel one city, and 6 for the angel to walk over to the gate and disappear.

I'm a bit surprised, the one I found most challenging was Harmony. There's no clear description of which techs you need to unlock the flower, I always end up at 13 affinity grabbing random techs hoping it's the right one, plus there's no description in the help section that tells you how to do it.

For Supremacy and Purity, if you have the satellite that summons units it helps. The description of the satellite is weird, but basicly when you launch the satellite you choose where people will be summoned to, and once up people can teleport there from any city you own.

the techs are in the victories tab \.

dont need 60 firaxite... when the angel goes through the gate, you get the used firaxite back... only need 12, 6 to build an angel one city, and 6 for the angel to walk over to the gate and disappear.

If you can build 1 angel/turn, then sure. Otherwise you speed your victory by having enough firaxite to build 3 at once (assuming it takes you at least 3 turns)... that's what I was trying to say. Unless you have mad production, 4+ turns per angel is more likely, so being able to pre-build a few would help a lot.

With a high enough energy per turn and the virtue for cheaper purchases, you might be able to afford to buy an angel each turn, or at least buy one every other turn while building another.

Top Bottom