Sharing religious texts with me

Anomaly

Chieftain
Hi guys,

thanks for the community patch. I've just discovered this recently and I've now started a new Civ5 game to check it out.

Some city states or goody huts I encountered (I don't exactly remember who it was - it's been a week) shared their "religious texts" with me, with a value between 10-20 religion, but I'm not actually receiving these bonuses and my religion stays at 0 until I started getting the first few points with my own building.

I wonder if this it a technical issue, or if the message is wrong?

I think the faith icon shows you faith per turn. Have you checked the extended tool tip by taking the cursor over the faith icon?

I think it shows both, total religion and religion per turn. Also, it was at the very beginning of the game and the AI shared his "religious texts" with me about three times. I'm sure the total number of points I should have gained would have put my religion over 20 and I should have been able to found a new religion.

I wanted to be sure so I checked it. For me, in the early game, it shows faith per turn and the time it takes to accumulate enough faith to gain a pantheon. You have to hover over the faith icon to see total amount of faith. Later in the game it changes to show total faith and faith per turn. So that could be a possible explanation.

I'm not sure if I can come up with anything to explain why you didn't get to start a pantheon though, if you had enough faith for one. Maybe you remembered the required amount of faith wrong? I play on epic game speed, and it requires 75 faith to start a pantheon, when in normal civ5 the amount of required faith varies, but is often 45.

Now you got me doubting, and I also checked. But no, for me it shows the total faith and faith per turn (see attachment) and the tooltip confirms this.

At this point I should have already over 20-30 faith from the "religious texts" shared with me.

Attachments

• faith.jpg
    faith.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 150
In case it matters, I'm playing as Theodora, Byzantines, as I wanted to focus on a religious Civ, something I never tried before. So obviously I was delighted at the "religious texts" being shared with me, and somewhat stumped when I realized my religion was still at 0.

@Anomaly, are you playing with EUI? If so, the number you see on the top bar shows two things: faith per turn, which is preceded with a plus (e.g., +2) and countdown before founding a pantheon/religion, which is situated on the right. Total accumulated faith number isn't shown until you found a religion.

Anyway, I assume you're playing with either Community Balance Overhaul or Vox Populi (the full pack), and in both cases the amount of faith required to found a pantheon is raised to 50. Therefore, a couple of religious texts wouldn't do any good :)

EDIT: I see you're not using EUI, so you can ignore the first statement. The second is also only partly correct: in older versions of CBO/Vox Populi the amount of faith required for a pantheon was indeed 30. In any case, bug and potential bug reports should be discussed on Github. Create an issue there - you'll have to sign up on Github, but it's quick and simple. Your savegame just before you met those city states would be useful, if you have one (post it there). In case you have any trouble with Github, I could report this for you (but later).

I just tried replaying the beginning from the initial autosave, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get any of the goody huts to give me religion again. I'll try again tomorrow and then take screenshots and upload a save if I succeed.
When reloading a save Civ V just crashed on me, and the exact same thing happened also yesterday. Seems like the CPP is not very stable, unfortunately. :(

I just tried replaying the beginning from the initial autosave, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get any of the goody huts to give me religion again. I'll try again tomorrow and then take screenshots and upload a save if I succeed.
When reloading a save Civ V just crashed on me, and the exact same thing happened also yesterday. Seems like the CPP is not very stable, unfortunately. :(

There was a known issue with crashing on loading a save in versions prior to the latest beta. You might want to upgrade to it (5/21), it should be the most stable.

Man... I give up. On my very first start I got the religious texts from the goodie huts three times in a row. Now I can't get that particular event to trigger again.
If it ever happens again, I'll post screenshots here. Even though I guess it's really not necessary. I'm certain that I didn't get the religion despite what the goodie hut event was telling me. So I'm sure this is either a bug with the event (showing the wrong text?) or with the actual logic of crediting me with the religion bonus.

Hi guys, I started a new game using the latest CBP beta, and I finally got the "proof". It was actually not the goody huts, but the city states giving me religion which is not credited.
On the first attached screenshot you see how the city state supposedly awards me religion, and after confirming it, on the second screenshot you see that my religion is actually still at zero.

Edit: as a matter of fact, I just realized I'm not getting the "8 gold" from the city state either. I have accumulated 20 gold (+5) from the previous 4 turns, and on the next turn I only have 24 (+4) gold.

Attachments

• 01_ReligionGain.jpg
    01_ReligionGain.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 02_NoBonus.jpg
    02_NoBonus.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 80
There's a problem with another mod you're using that modify the visuals or interface of city states.
Ur is a maritime city state, so what's showed as 8 gold is really 8 food received in your capital, and the 24 faith are influence points. Mistery solved! :goodjob:

Hi Mitch,
thanks for the info, but I'm not using any other mods other than the ones that come with the CBP automatic installer. I had this problem occur with the latest release of CBP without EUI, and now the same problem with the latest Beta using EUI.

This is actually the first time I use any mod with Civ V.

Well, I just restarted Civ V and reloaded the initial save to check if Mitch is right about the bonuses actually being food and influence (seems like it, as you can see in the screenshot influence is really at 24), and discovered some really weird things upon reloading the initial save:

1. Some of the resources near my city have changed. Two sugars are unchanged, but coffee has disappeared and instead I now have bananas and fish on different tiles near my city.

2. When founding the first city on a jungle tile, I no longer get 25 production bonus for clearing the jungle. I did get the bonus in the initial game, before loading.

3. The city state in question now gives me 30 gold, which is credited correctly.

Looks like some random seed and resource locations are actually reshuffled upon loading the initial save. But the thing with the jungle bonus not being credited has to be a bug.

Edit: also:

4. After reload my palace is producing only 3 gold, prod, science per turn instead of 5, as it was in the initial game.

5. My initial happiness is now 12 instead of 6!

WTF?

I have the impression the game is not applying the CBP after reloading the initial save, and somehow I'm back into vanilla.

Hi Mitch,
thanks for the info, but I'm not using any other mods other than the ones that come with the CBP automatic installer. I had this problem occur with the latest release of CBP without EUI, and now the same problem with the latest Beta using EUI.

This is actually the first time I use any mod with Civ V.

Uum, then I don't know what's the origin of the wrong displayed info. This same problem happened to me when using this mod City States Leaders

Anyway the previous answer could serve you until this can be solved, the gold you see is really the amount of the appropriate resource granted by the civ state according to their type (Food, Culture, Gold, Faith) and the second the influence received.

The mod integrated in Vox Populi for this is City States Gifts

Edit: also:

4. After reload my palace is producing only 3 gold, prod, science per turn instead of 5, as it was in the initial game.

5. My initial happiness is now 12 instead of 6!

WTF?

I have the impression the game is not applying the CBP after reloading the initial save, and somehow I'm back into vanilla.

Just to be sure, you must either start a new game or load a save entering first in Mods.

Just to be sure, you must either start a new game or load a save entering first in Mods.

Yes, that confirms it, thanks. You'd think the game would be smart enough to load a save with the correct mods.

Then, with your hint concerning the bonuses, I guess I can continue playing knowing how to interpret them. Some developer should really look into these messed up city state messages though.

Top Bottom