1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

She-Wolves of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Cam_H, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

Honestly .. you guys and "your Currency"!

[Edit] "Me and "my Pyramids"." [/Edit]

Agree with you. :) ... I do like that Horse spot though ... in case you were wondering.

2. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

I admit I wanted at first use "č" :) but then decided to use "ch"... I catched a bit on spanish pronounciation thanks to football, so i kind of "know" that "ch" is from "j" usually :).

Dunno why I always do something wrong!

3. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

oh btw I don't want to hear anymore on cottages except for capital! and maybe that marginal late spot east from capital... why grow "cottages" when we work village on coast! :)

and to the horse+2x wine spot... you maybe didn't catched it nocho, but here was really hectic discussion about 6th city spot and I was kind of overdiscussed (or overruled?), because I wanted to go with the pigs+XX desert+horse spot as 6th :).

4. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

"Horses and double Wine!"

"Horses and double Wine!"

"Death to the non-believers"

"Death to the non-believers"

(Not that that Desert-Desert-Mountain-Desert-Plains-Plains-Plains ... spot is a bad place to steal tiles from perfectly fine prospective cities") :rolleyes: ;)

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Whatever we do, lets emphasize food for now so we can get stuff out.

Is Nocho the masculine form of "night"?

6. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Horses and double whine, you mean? :mischief:

Do you really want me dead? :eek: That'd mean you have to take care of the Sporks as well, mind you!

So that Desert-Desert-Mountain-Desert-Plains-Plains-Plains-spot is not bad, huh? Do you want to say you actually like it? :D And on stealing tiles, first, it only steals so-so tiles of which the least so-so (grass forest) is widely available for the other spots, and second, you don't know yet that when we're ready to settle the west I'm going to propose the wheat/clam spot be moved 1W to get both resources in the first ring, after which there won't be any overlap with this city. :p Besides, I'm betting iron will pop in the pig city on one of those desert tiles. :please:

You can eat horses too. :rolleyes::p

If it would exist, then yes. Then again, it doesn't exist...

When I signed up here I was reading a book by Noam Chomsky about geopolitics, written in his own peculiar but always interesting way. Not that I am a particularly great fan of the man nor as far off on the political spectrum as he is, but I did enjoy reading his views on things as disheartening as they can be at times. So as at the moment no particular username came up with me, took the first letters of his name, NoCho. Sounded pretty Spanish as well. And now I'm stuck with it. :)

On another note, regarding the game, would it be wise to cancel OB with Joao and stick with OB with the confu-guys to maintain the trade routes? If Louis is indeed after Joao we may be better off sucking up to them and avoid all these painful cancel deal requests. If Joao is the black horse over there, better let him drop as a brick, than trying to do a difficult balancing act with all of them, which will likely result in all of them hating us in the end.

Yeah, by now I caught it... Just enjoy opening old wounds here. :p

If city 6 was settled as horse/wine after much discussion, I'll comply with that.

7. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Had a look.

Trade for fur with Joao for wheat or crab. Can use the happy, we have excess of health for now.

Wench: settler, forge, Colossus. Do we want to 2-pop whip settler? I'm inclined to drop the 2 cottages for the 2 mines, we need hammers for now.
    Stench: still no culture here! Will take a while for the library in any case, so I'd whip a monument first into granary, follow suit with library. Need a WB for fish. Should get those 2 food sources online asap, as otherwise even with lib can hardly hire scientists anyway.
    Pegs Legs: worker, library for the culture? Might even start hiring scientists here, as probably it has the lib well before Stench does. Susbequent GPs from Stench though. Or make this a settler/worker pump?
    Twopot: granary, library.
    London: London?? Rename this one... Then, monument, granary. Might have been better 1W after all so it could have stolen a farm from capital. Well, too late for that now.

Settler will settle next to horse to appease eveybody. Monument first, LH (?) next.

Tech: aesthetics. We need a trading chip, don't want to trade the GM-bulbed MC away for a good while until we have a firm grasp on Colossus. After aest is in, maybe alpha for some turns to set up a trade for that. Hope to get math and IW as well from aest. Maybe self-tech hunting for the deer. Likely don't want to spend wfyabta on that.

8. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

there is work boat in stench on the idle for too long.

I thought thath the south city will be settler/worker pump, especially when we build infra everywhere else. No need for monument imo, it has it's best tiles in 1st ring.

everything else i like ;-).

9. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

I agree with vranasm, who's almost entirely in agreement with Noam.

We are still short some spawn-busters, and now have a Barbarian city to take, so any military you can slip in would be good ... I was thinking Peg Leg for that. The city's likely to have four Archers, so I'd shoot for eight units - Axes - I guess.

10. BobRoberts

BobRoberts Chieftain

Think the plan sounds good.

Although not totally sure about the trade with Joao (why do my fingers always want to type Jaoa for him?)... IIRC, he's christian and may well be the hated figure over there - is the happy worth the 'cancel deals' diplomatic penalties?

11. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I share the worry, that's why I even proposed earlier to cancel OB with him. But then I noticed he has fur. We don't have any happy until monarchy (wine, HR) and the cap right now is already at the happy cap (a measly 5 pop). With the food it'll easily outgrow this size, even when working the mines. At 6 at least it can work another cottage to mature it, so an extra happy is definitely welcome. We could also wait and hope Louis or WvO end up with something.
    And now I'm wondering, if the capital needs hammers (and it does, with forge and Colossus to come) and in a sense has too much food, would it be awful to mine the pigs again? If we have to drop pigs or corn to prevent growth, better have the pigs mined again. I'd hate to simply drop either tile. Yes, it's again more worker turns for the same tile, but they might actually be well invested this way.
    I also like to get some input on whether or not to whip that settler. The pig-mine or not is obviously related to that...

12. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

'Yes' from me to the Settler whip (when possible).

13. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I'm thinking Pegs could do a settler immediately. I think I can even settle the southern pigs/clam spot during my turns as well (supposing I can get IW in trade). Are you ok with that?

14. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

with IW home we can be maybe a bit more ambititous and settle the jungle island with bananas.

but generally yest I thought that the southern city will be worker/settler pump

15. Cam_H

Cam_H Chieftain

I'm OK with it except I'd like to know thoughts on Barb control and the Barb city. We're still not 100% spawn-busted, and as per earlier, I'd like to take that city.

Settling Banana island is fine by me also.

16. lymond

V- Interestingly, we can share videos across users on YT and create Playlists. I think this method could allow for a future Let's Play succession games with guys/gals willing/able to record their sessions.

I've added your session to a playlist under my account.

17. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

hmm interesting :)
    I don't think youtubers can form functional team though ;-).

18. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Played according to plan, more or less.

Set full throttle on Aesthetics, squeeze in a monument in stench and rename London to Untamed Shrew. My bagage regarding lady pirates is rather limited, so in a desperate attempt to have some reference to a wild woman of centuries past didn't come further than what we had to read in school for our english exams.

Our merchant is born and we bulb metal casting. Chops come in when building the settler which seems like a good moment for a 2 pop whip and continue with the forge.

Not much later our settler arrives at a pretty bay with horses and decides to settle.

That same turn cancel OB with Joao. Louis is getting on my nerves with his red fist and WE vs Joao and don't want to piss him off needlessly by declining a cancel deal demand. Rightly guess our trade routes for now are unaffected.

Aesthetics comes in some turns later. Unfortunately Louis seems to be rather close to it as he'll only give meditation. I hoped to get alpha, maths and IW, but that will be impossible with only 2 AIs to trade it away to. So in a possibly controversial decision decide to drop alpha... Both Joao and WvO would do a straight alpha-aesth deal, however, my reasoning was that as all of them have alpha, it is not really needed at this point while maths gives the chop bonus and opens up currency equally well, along with other techs. I wanted IW at least for chopping the jungle underneath the pig and possibly the jungle island south. Also hoping to pop iron in some nice location of course. So after some thinking took these deals:

Near the end of the set have a settler in place for pig/clam/2wine. Decide to not settle for now. Workers are still chopping the jungle from the pig so settling immediately will just cost maintenance. As I hand it over, the settler is still in place. I think we can settle now, as the pigs are clear.

Ended up playing 12 turns (ups). Stench just popped borders and I just whipped it a library. It should cool down a bit on the whip anger somehow.

Twopot also popped borders and has iron. Will be a nice city from now on. Needs a garrison soon.

Our capital just finished forge and optimized it for fastest Colossus, due in 7 turns. We'll need to be fast, as our Portuguese friend just got MC...

I think Colossus should be safe (could even get an extra chop (math+bronze...)) hopefully, so we might want to trade MC away now. Louis would give calendar, WvO alpha+poly.

Here's an overview of our island. Our galley is going clockwise around the French/Dutch island.

EDIT: I guess these AIs should have monarchy by now, so maybe we can first trade for alpha+PH with WvO/Louis and then (hopefully) next turn for monarchy with the other. Monarchy will be pretty important to do something about our happy cap through HR and wine.

Attached Files:

19. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

pretty impressive turnset nocho. You were totally right with not going alpha.

for next turnset. i don't think we need calendar, but we need that monarchy (hr + wine resource).

I would like to see more workers (3-4 more?) and certainly 1-2 more settlers...there is still too much land to settle.
    Can we get to the island in reasonable time (the galley from east)?

The size of Joao is worrying, but he usually is big expander. it's super important to not allow him colossus, so i would invest the tree!

edit:

btw some of our cities have only domestic TR's, so the joao cities we feel on our commerce, but i agree with avoiding joao a bit.

20. lymond

I like the trades Noggo! Logical. Alpha would be nice for a research boost to Currency, but IW/Maths give us something we can really use now and we don't have much hammers to spare anyway. Maths gives bonus on Currency.

If we want The Colossus, we better not trade MC to Louie yet. I'd hold off on trading MC for a bit to anyone and hope we beat Joao. Joao always amazes me how well he researches as an AI. Shows you the power of my favorite trait.

Untamed Shrew! Me Likey!!! Sounds like an old ex of mine :)

Currency should def be the next tech.

I need to take a close look at Diplo. Unless it was demanded by Louie, I'm a little uncertain about the closing borders with Joao deal. That could backfire on us, but it's not a big deal.

oh...and good job!

edit: My guess is that Joao is unlikely to trade away MC due to the Colossus and he and Willie are pretty close in tech. We can keep an eye each turn on what Louie will give up for MC but holding him off from it will ensure we get it with his IND trait. If he looks like he's going to get it soon though, we might as well get something for it. However, I think he's going for Lit if he is teching Aesths.