sheep - who cares?

Leto

Chieftain
I'm not a crank, I love the new, I stay with the times... I work in games myself... But cV is not settling well with me. One thing that I have realized is driving me crazy is the removal of Health. They removed health, but kept in the health resources - why?? When my settler is scouting around, I get excited and settle near an abundance of fish, deer, sheep - but really, who cares? +1 food for working the tile? That's not worth an icon on the map imo.

In CIV, every resource you discovered mattered, but in cV half of them are nerfed to being pointless.

Moderator Action: Swearing is not allowed on these forums, title edited. :)
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Yeah it sucks, but nothing we can do. Oh wait there is, but it will not happen. Everyone will be buying the first DLC that Firaxis puts out so nothing will change.

Either you accept it and keep playing, or, don't accept it and quit. But what ever you do, do not buy any DLC or expansion packs, or your complaing is for naught because nothing will change and it will be the same thing over and over again.

There is a mod that increases the food and production output of resources.

A food bonus would only make a city grow faster and thus crave more luxury resources. I really am starting to hate the way happiness works in Civ 5.

Yeah, Health worked so well. There was no reason to take it out, at all. Food resources are there just to look pretty now. So sad.

I'm not a crank, I love the new, I stay with the times... I work in games myself... But cV is not settling well with me. One thing that I have realized is driving me crazy is the removal of Health. They removed health, but kept in the health resources - why?? When my settler is scouting around, I get excited and settle near an abundance of fish, deer, sheep - but really, who cares? +1 food for working the tile? That's not worth an icon on the map imo.

In CIV, every resource you discovered mattered, but in cV half of them are nerfed to being pointless.

Agree on food resources - they're pretty pointless in current state... maybe wheat, but deer, banana, and sheep are pointless. Fish at least include a commerce bonus, IIRC.

I was originally (and the part of me that likes a lot of varied resources still is) angry that we lost a lot of resources -- I liked the increased variety in IV -- but at this point, might as well have tossed sheep out together with pigs, corn, rice, etc.

They removed health, but kept in the health resources - why??

Food resources have always been in Civ. Removing health, which only existed in CivIV, doesn't mean food bonuses have to be removed as well.

Well considering how food resources actually provide hardly any food I must disagree Thedrin.

Yeah, Health worked so well. There was no reason to take it out, at all. Food resources are there just to look pretty now. So sad.

I hate how pointless some resources are in this game, but don't you remember the awful global warming (which was health related) that was inevitable in Civ4?

Food resources have always been in Civ. Removing health, which only existed in CivIV, doesn't mean food bonuses have to be removed as well.

I'm wondering if there was originally a mechanic that meant worked food resources gave +1 food to every city with a market or something like that. Maybe it was decided to be OP.

Was it Health related? I didn't ever get too much global warming, the only time it started to spread a lot was when I started using Nuclear Weapons. Usually my games were over before I got that far into the game.

I misread the title of this thread as SLEEP; who gives a $hit.... then when I saw the complaining I was confused...

makes more sense after fixing

Well considering how food resources actually provide hardly any food I must disagree Thedrin.

I'm not certain what I said that you disagree with.

Does removing the health feature mean that food resources also have to be removed?

One thing that I have realized is driving me crazy is the removal of Health. They removed health, but kept in the health resources - why?? When my settler is scouting around, I get excited and settle near an abundance of fish, deer, sheep - but really, who cares? +1 food for working the tile? That's not worth an icon on the map imo.

This.

I began playing Civ V like I played Civ IV. One of the weirdest habits that I could not crack easily was looking for a place with lots of resources. My level of play went up considerably when I finally started to simply look for happiness resources, rivers and fish. Sheep don't mean a thing unless they're on depleted lands like tundra.

They should give the granary +1 food per food resource, perhaps only the land-based ones. Perhaps give it +1 happiness also and make it a slight bit more expensive. I think it would streamline the early gameplay.

I'm not certain what I said that you disagree with.

Does removing the health feature mean that food resources also have to be removed?

Well - I do think it's more than health... When you add the way happiness is calculated, add the fact that food buildings are now flat boosts (though some do retain 'storage bonus' aspects), and finally -- maritime CS -- food resources ARE worthless... in fact, in many instances, I'd say they're counter-productive.

I can tell you that I actually AVOID settling near food resources now in many cases -- that's a pretty big flaw in a Civilization game IMHO.

I'm not saying that food resources have been well implemented in CivV. But the absence of the health feature does not mean that food resources should be removed.

I would like to see the food resources made more significant. Maybe introduce buildings that can only be built by cities working a specific type of food tile, or instead have food resource tiles give large bonuses, as it was in CivIV, so that there's a big incentive to work these tiles earlier. Alternatively, and most simply, just allow farms to be built on them.

However, that want is a hold over from CivIV, where planning out the placement of my cities was my favourite part of the game. The rules for city placement are vastly different now. And I don't know enough about the game - particularly how cities evolve as the game progresses - to say if it's better or worse.

I'm not saying that food resources have been well implemented in CivV. But the absence of the health feature does not mean that food resources should be removed.

I would like to see the food resources made more significant. Maybe introduce buildings that can only be built by cities working a specific type of food tile, or instead have food resource tiles give large bonuses, as it was in CivIV, so that there's a big incentive to work these tiles earlier. Alternatively, and most simply, just allow farms to be built on them.

However, that want is a hold over from CivIV, where planning out the placement of my cities was my favourite part of the game. The rules for city placement are vastly different now. And I don't know enough about the game - particularly how cities evolve as the game progresses - to say if it's better or worse.

Ultimately, I think you still run into the problem of city growth (especially direct via local food resource tiles) being counter-productive.

Sure - population = science and gold, but the curve flattens to the point of diminishing returns fairly quickly, while happiness scales out of control (population, not number of cities, seems to be the big unhappiness driver).

There were, of course, instances in IV when you wanted to limit growth/at least, max production -- but I find myself setting virtually ALL my cities to max science/production/commerce by default.

This is where health is sorely missed -- even if you had a potentially huge mega-city in the making and you didn't need that pig, you still wanted to improve the tile for the health bonus, if not also to trade it (and later in the game -- for many resources -- to take advantage of corporations).

Top Bottom