Shhnameh, the Book of Kings

mediterreania

Warlord
[played with RFC Civs in Abundance, an RFC modmod that has playable Celts and Sumerians, as well as a third Independent civ for Canaan]

As an ethnic Persian, I've always had an interest in the ancient Persian Empire. I like to play as them on realistic Earth maps (especially RFC), examining new routes of history and reversing the mistakes of the past. So, I decided to document one of these games. It'll be in a much more serious tone than most Stories and Tales (looking at you, METY ;) ), though with some humor.

Also, I've got knowledge of the Old, Middle and Modern Persian languages, and I plan to do some interesting stuff with them.

(ALSO: To separate fact from fiction, which Frank Miller's 300 failed to do, I will put an asterisk* and red text on anything that happened in real life, and leave fictional parts black.)

Berim beshin
Migam ān dāstān
Dāstān-e Pārs
Va dāstān-e Kord
Bāstānitarin
Shāhān va zamin
Berim beshin
Barāyinke begamet...

Come, sit
I tell you a tale.
A tale of Persia
And a tale of Kurds
Most ancient
Kings and soils,
Come, sit,
For I shall speak to you...
-A Tale of Kings, by Mediterreania

+1 to crushing the arrogant Spartans. 300 & Frank Miller can take a hike.
Be nice to the Athenians though, please!
I'll be following this, as I actually did download RFC Civs in Abundance
some time ago (I wanted to try out Celts & the Zulu) and there hasn't been
a Civs in Abundance story since hoplitejoe's Rise of the Native Americans.

The dawn of the Iranian people. Western Indo-Iranian settlers spill into the Iranian plateau, assimilating the locals. Two kingdoms were formed: Pārsā (Persia) and Madā (the Medes). And of the former, a great leader emerged. Cyrus the Great.

Cyrus led a rebellion against his grandfather, King of the Medes. Most of the noblemen defected to his side, and he gave his grandfather a merciful and dignified surrender.
Now united, the Iranian peoples set their work to founding a proper city. The first one was Širajiš, modern-day Shirāz. With its founding, Cyrus was reported to have said, Adam Kurush vazarkush, utā iyam saçā vazarkā. "I am great Cyrus, and this is great city."

The Persian armies invaded the empire of Babel. They first took Shush, the capital of ancient Elam. The Elamites were the first inhabitants of Iran, and so the Persians kept the city in respect for their ancestors. Meanwhile, under the direction of Cyrus, the Medes created their own city, Aspadana - its name coming from the Median word for horse...for obvious reasons.

The Persian armies finally surrounded the Jewel of Mesopotamia itself, Babylon. They were recognized as liberators by most (including the captive Jewish population), and Cyrus assumed control of the armies personally. To the east, meanwhile, a new trade began with their Indo-Aryan brothers in India.

The city fell to the Persian army. The people rejoiced at Cyrus's arrival, but chaos abounded. To restore order, he issued the famous royal decree of the Cyrus Cylinder. All religions were to be respected and their temples rebuild; all major languages given equal status as official languages by the Persian scribes; and finally, all peoples given the right to return to their lands.

Without a rest, a few of the armies moved on to eliminate the last remaining bastion of Babylonian oppression. The king of Babylon fled to the southern deserts, where he was captured and given a position in the provincial government. But this job would be much harder than expected...in the city, the injured men rested and waited for reinforcements. To the west lay the Canaanite kingdoms which dominated Jerusalem and the Phoenicians.

The expedition to the north failed. The Babylonian archers in the city of Artaxaca overcame the Persian chariots. However, lacking their capital and their king, the empire collapsed and became a weak city-state, never to rise again. Meanwhile, in the east, a people called the "Achaeans" from Greece conquered Phoenicia. Because they hailed from the region of Ionia, the entire country of Greece was called "Yaunā" in the Persian language. The Persians killed the "Yaunans" and took the city. To the south, Cyrus conquered Jerusalem, and allowed the Jews of Babylon to return.

The traditional religion of Persia was the revealed "aša" of Zoroaster, which taught of eternal battle between Ahura Mazda (God) and Angra Mayru (the Devil). However, the Persians allowed native religions to flourish. A court eunuch tried to have the Jews killed. However, the famous Queen Esther of Persia persuaded her husband, King Xerxes, to protect the Jews and execute the forces of the eunuch. Persia recovered from the anarchy, and became a Jewish nation

Nice first update. Subscribed.

Nice start :)

Subbed.

(ALSO: To separate fact from fiction, which Frank Miller's 300 failed to do, I will put an asterisk* and red text on anything that happened in real life, and leave fictional parts black.)

Don't worry, I don't put much stock into whatever Frank Miller says or writes.
He's an unapologetic bigot, racist and liar.
Will you be going after a Historical Victory by the way?

Don't worry, I don't put much stock into whatever Frank Miller says or writes.
He's an unapologetic bigot, racist and liar.
Will you be going after a Historical Victory by the way?

Never really do - after all, the point of this is to go against history.

As punishment for supporting rebels in Tyre and Canaan, the Iranian declare war on the city-states of Athenai and Sparta. King Darius, leading this expedition, said, Adakaiy fratara maniyaiy afuvāyā yadiy vaināmiy hamiçiyam yathā yadiy naiy vaināmiy, - "When I see something rebellious, I am farther beyond fear than when I do not see something rebellious."

The expedition fails at the plain of Marathon neat the city of Apollonia. Darius is forced to make a humiliating march back to Anatolia and vows revenge. However, he dies before he can complete his war, leaving it to his son...

These people of "Yauna" demand the "liberation" of their "compatriots" to the east. How insolent! How dare they!

Seeing the difficulty in conquest with only native Persians, the empire recruits soldiers from the provinces and beyond. However, this presents a massive problem - in both the costs of paying salaries and purchasing nonstandard supplies, and the organizational difficulty in managing dozens of nationalities and hundreds of languages.

The empire is racked with dynastic crises. A Zoroastrian priest named Gaumāta, impersonating a prince named Bardiya, leads a rebellion to crown himself king. There is much confusion, and various Greek and Iranian sources give contradictory accounts. The official imperial inscription states: Gautāma maguš adurujiya avathā athaha adam Bariya amiy. Adam khshayathiya. ("Gautama the Magician lied and said I am Bariya. I am king.") When the rebellion is over, the king sets up a new system of government: a pure monarchy supervised by the government's official Jewish priests. However, other religions are still tolerated.

King Cambyses, long viewing the Egyptians as a threat, invades over the Sinai peninsula. His army takes over the north of the country. However, his gains are short-lived. The Egyptian remnants retake their cities, to the gratitude of a relieved populace, and kick out the invaders. The land of Kemet remains its own.

Persian imperial soldiers explore the remains of an ancient city, believed now to be either a Hittite settlement or a failed Greek colony. Meanwhile, Persian-speaking settlers begin to colonize the traditionally Greek area of Anatolia. They incorporate the city of Gordion, originally a small Greek farming town, into the empire, as an important outpost for trade and military.

By this time, scientists and astronomers in the city of Babylon have compiled one of the largest collections of mathematical writing of all time. They begin to put this knowledge to use in creating a standard, empire-wide calendar for religious observances, trade and agriculture.

To the north, a new people is sighted. The Celts. Little is known about them outside of the Greek stories.

The caravan trade through the precarious mountains and deserts of Central Asia has lasted for hundreds of years. However, this is the first time Iranians come into direct contact with the Chinese. Eastern merchants seeking precious metals meet western merchants seeking silk. Direct trade is not established yet, and India acts as a middleman for some time.

With planned invasions not coming to fruition, and various distractions to the east and south, the Persian king signs a peace treaty with the Greeks. Rather than give up the Mediterranean cities, he sends emissaries with precious knowledge of agriculture - something severely lacking in the harsh, mountainous terrain of Greece. The promise of Iran's trade now has more influence on Greece than does the threat of its armies.

After hundreds of years, the rebellious city of Artaxata is captured. There is surprisingly little resistance. Steeled by the experience of this war, a great general returns to Babylon. His valor and genius inspires all units he leads, and the reforms he introduce ensure their continued success. (Though with not as much permanence as settling in the city would ;) )

With both a calendar and a unified code of laws, the Persian government moves to begin minting a standard currency. It replaces the various Greek and Babylonian coins previously used around the empire, and becomes one of the most widely-used and influential currencies in the Mediterranean world. Not bad for former nomads.

Border fortifications dating back to the beginning of the empire are updated and unified. Bureaucrats from the capital of Širajiš take over responsibility for the protection of the frontier against nomads, such as the Scythians (Sākā) and the Xiongnu. The effectiveness of this system prevents barbarians from ever again breaching the borders of the empire.

Wanting to learn more about their strange and foreign neighbors, the city of Gordion raises money for a scouting expedition to the Celtic border. The scouts are deputized as official emissaries of the Persian King, and cross the Bosporus on an ingeniously-engineered bridge of boats.

The Persians meet Brennus, the warlike leader of the foreigners. He is a very strange man - and his red hair is rumored to be the mark of soullessness. The Iranians share their knowledge in exchange for Celtic metalworking equipment, and then immediately rush to leave this "land of devil gingers." They are disappointed when a messenger comes from the King, ordering them even further west.

A second Iranian army enters Egypt, this time much larger and with the intent of permanently ending the tyranny of the Egyptian "god-kings". In the same year, a Iranian priest marries the daughter of a prominent Greek merchant. In their "big fat Greek wedding," religious leaders from both nations gain closer ties. "Never again will the Jewish peoples fight each other!" exclaims one. How little does he know...

Subbed! I love the writing style!

Nice to see RFC Abundance getting some more love, it is a shame the mod develop died :(

Subbed. This is the style I aspire to write. :D

The capture of Niwt-Rst has caused the collapse of Egypt. Meanwhile, in Europe, a new religion has been founded. A man named, Ιησος, claiming to be the Jewish messiah, had been executed in Greece some years prior. Now, his apostles have spread his message throughout the land, and the worship of Iēsos as the son of God is a commonly-accepted religion. The Greek royalty adopts this religion, driving a rift between them and the Persians...

Imperial army operations in the south of Egypt encounter a new civilization, the kingdom of Ethiopia. These Ethiopians, awed by the strength of the empire, voluntarily become a satrapy (province) under the indirect control of the Persian crown.

In the capital city, a great fortified temple is finished. This becomes the prototype for an empire-wide system of city fortifications, which greatly increase the ability of garrisons to effectively defend their home cities.

In the same year, the desert city of Esphahān (formerly Aspadana) completes its famous Hanging Gardens. Built for the wife of a local king, who longed for the meadows of northern Iran, they require massive amounts of water to irrigate. Their existence will be disputed by the modern day.

The Persians once again declare war on the Greek heretic. An army marches from Doriskos into Greek territory.

After 20-odd years of fighting in the northern region of Μakedon, the Persian army finally reaches the Christian holy city of Apollonia. The most famous unit to participate was the elephant army, miraculously marched through the perilous northern mountains.

Within the next 30 years, the Greek homeland is almost completely occupied. Athens is annexed as an imperial province. Only Crete and parts of the Peloponnese remain under Greek control.

After 90 years of "war" (40 of which included no major battles), a peace treaty is finally signed between the remaining Greeks and the empire. The rebellion at Athens is crushed, and Greek is finally annexed. Despite their differing religion, the Persian royalty tolerates the new Christian heresy. Greek culture once again flourishes, and it seems that peace has been achieved for the last time. Oh, how did they know...

Lets hope they collapse soon, there is nothing more annoying than a nation refusing to collapse, taking up your cultural borders.

Alexander has some scary faces...

Lets hope they collapse soon, there is nothing more annoying than a nation refusing to collapse, taking up your cultural borders.

Don't worry, they will.

But this is Civs in Abundance, which means that (SPOILER)

Byzantium rises in their place. D'oh!

Top Bottom