Shift-Enter allows you to "bank" production, science, and culture

oov

Chieftain
Seen a lot of posts about what to build first, what to tech first, etc. Turns out these are all wrong. Best thing to build and research turn zero is NOTHING. Let me explain.

Watched a video on twitch where a guy named harmbesdragonballrevival presses-shift enter to end the turn without choosing anything in the production queue. Allows him to bank the production as he techs to archery. Ends up putting the saved production into Temple of Artemis which he completes on turn 12 (online speed).

https://www.twitch.tv/harambesdragonballrevival/video/286461444

Why lock into a project when you can wait and decide later? You can effectively start a settler at size 1. Or get the campus the turn after you research writing (no chopping required). Opens up possibilities that I haven't really seen used yet.

Did some testing and this works with techs as well. At least for the first couple of turns. When I met someone it triggered the eureka for writing and all my saved up science disappeared. So make sure you "spend" the banked research before you trigger any eurekas. Those early game eurekas might get triggered on accident so you may not want to bank too much early game. Later in the game this could be used more safely.

Government policy cards let you switch every turn so long as you don't choose a new civic tech.

This is brand new to me so I'm sure there is more to learn. I've seen CivTrader6's videos and a few that Boyan_Sun posted but never saw this technique used. Think it will help those players looking for fastest times.

Your explanation is better than mine. Although I disagree about banning all of it. I think it adds a lot of strategy. In civ 4 you could build research or wealth and this allowed you to save your overflow. Also you didn't have to choose initial tech for the first 5 turns. Was a very important strategy for building things quickly and choosing right research.

Do you know of any videos of good player exploiting this to the fullest? I would like to see.

One of the biggest gripes with this game is how long it takes to build things. I think the game would be more fun if the default design was based around banking production and "spending" it like gold and faith. Each city would have it's own bank that could be easily seen from the map overview. Would make turns go by so much faster and give you a higher level of control and strategy. Avoids the whole, "I don't have anything I need to build right now" thing. Maybe limit the amount of banked production to a certain level to avoid anything too crazy. Maybe a city would max out at 100 hammers banked. Later techs can increase that number as needed. Wouldn't that be a fun game to play?

At least in this way you are using the production that you earned per turn. Currently the default strategy is to settle luxuries and sell for tons of cash and buying more settlers. That's money you didn't earn. I think this should be considered an exploit just as selling great works is. The AI gives you a settler in exchange for a luxury. Not a fair trade. Gold deals for luxuries should be banned and saving some production should be allowed.

I don't like this trick, it is taking cheesing the game to the extreme. I'd never use it.

I do not see it as a cheat. You are looking a lot of opportunities by not doing anything for 12 or so turns.

So what you get a wonder or settler etc. It shoild not change the balance of the game I don't feel.

Your still behind on other areas.. Scouting, Goodie Huts, City States, Monuments, Units, Land development etc

Because the consensus on our side tends to think that this bug is serious, include streamers, I don't know any examples.

Exploits that are banned in China include:
  • Trading great work which was just created
  • Continuous trading to improve the exchange rate
  • Selling relic acquired at the beginning of the game
  • Trade cash with AI before declaring war
  • Shift+Enter to skip turn

Interesting. 4 of the 5 bans are based on trading. I want to ban all gold trades and allow shift-enter. I'm thinking from a multiplayer perspective I guess where humans would not pay for a luxury and you have to "earn" your gold yourself.

Your still behind on other areas.. Scouting, Goodie Huts, City States, Monuments, Units, Land development etc

Agreed. Also you are not getting any additional production from policy cards either. Just your base production. Mangus, policy cards, and chopping seem far more broken to me.

Shift+enter has been a big problem online before R&F
Time to choose a great person? Shift+enter to stop others getting one and other such exploits
They fix these and people find others... An online player claiming they are the greatest player in the world/region just means they cheat the best.
Stupid game puts new bugs in rather than fixing old.

Might be.. not quite sure if the game controls on the iPad can be used with a keyboard.. usually everything is done by the fingers except the entering of numbers in trade screens with your keyboard... maybe someone can confirm

What is wrong with continuous trading. i guess I don't understand what you consider continuous trading.
The exchange rate that AI provide will rise along continuous trading, no matter how much the trade amounts are. So if you give 1 gold to a friendly AI for 30+ times in one turn or whatever next a few turns, you will soon find AI can accept 1 GPT for 33 cash, or 1 GPT for 1 GPT and 3 cash. OK, now you can increase the GPT, then AI will also accept 100 GPT for 100 GPT + 300 cash, 1000 GPT for 1000 GPT + 3000 cash....

People actually spend time looking for things like this? I can understand trade rates improving over time, but that looks like overkill.

this was present as a feature in baby's first civ game Civ Rev; you could bank hammers by never choosing a project in the queue and could do the same for science. It was only made truly powerful by the fact that hammers are 100% transferable between projects in that game with no loss.

Science would immediately be applied to whatever you picked in full and complete that tech next turn, and there is no science overflow in that game (it converts to gold instead of going into the next tech, so if you had like 350/20 on something, you'd only be able to get that one tech and be paid out 330 gold instead -- essentially your tech rate is halted anyway) so that's less of a problem, it'd be just like you teched and then worked all gold for the rest of the turns.

It sounds like Civ6 has more than few glaring mechanical issues, especially that recursive trading loop business.....i thought subsidized trading in Civ4 was exploitative, wow.

I self ban trading in all my games with a few exceptions:

accepting trades offered by the AI
Trading gold to get a spy back
Trading gold to get open-borders

I think a bigger issue than bug exploitation is just the tediousness of perfect deal searching. I like to play optimally in that I want to use the strategy that is best for the quickest victory (even if its not so fun), but constantly bargaining with every civ for the best deal basically every turn makes the game unplayable IMO.

Top Bottom