Shiggs Earth

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Custom maps' started by Shiggs713, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

I'm sure it's simple but I can't figure it out...

if I want to use another map with your mod (apply the city-states you created on a map of mine) how do I do?

2. six blade knife

six blade knife Chieftain

I agree, in my game playing king difficulty as arabia, india is the second power of the world. it took every china's cities and if we weren't neighbour i think indians would have been in africa. but heh .. I can't allow that, can I ? :trouble:

anyway shiggs, thanks for the map, having lot of fun with it =)

3. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

you just need to have the Shiggs Earth mod enabled when you go into world builder and you should be able to place any of them. ;)

And to anyone, feel free to modify the map and make fixes/updates to it. I'm sure its not perfect, in fact I'm considering making a few changes, mainly to keep the pathfinding AI from having so much work. I'm thinking do some updates that have already been suggested here in this thread, and also covering Antarctica completely in ice, and maybe more of the north pole region too, to keep the barbs from spawning in completely useless places, just eating up cpu power for nothing.

I finally played a game almost all the way through, I actually couldn't finish it because the game kept crashing randomly, I think my graphics card couldn't handle it once I had almost the entire map uncovered. I had to keep switching into strategic view to even play once I got into the 1900's. Its kinda odd, it literally takes 1-2 seconds in between turns until about 1600, then it gets a little slower, by 1900 it was taking nearly 30 seconds, and I'm pretty sure the pathfinding AI is responsible for most of this lag.

It was a epic game, started as England, conquered pretty much all of Europe. I had all the surrounding city states as my allies, so 7 in total, pretty crazy maritime bonuses. I've realized Paris is without a doubt the best city on the map. I just don't understand how the AI france never does anything, that city just has so much potential, I think when I finally gave up trying to play, Paris was producing something ridiculous like 80 hammers a turn. I made the Eiffel Tower in like 10 turns with no great engineer. It was all but over anyways, I had fighters and bomber being produced and most of the world was still using rifles, and that was on Standard/Emperor.

to my surprise the Aztecs completely dominated the western hemisphere! I had a defensive pact with them too, it was kinda odd, Monty being so friendly with me. It was basically down to me, Egypt, China, and the Aztecs, we all pretty much owned our own continents, it reminded me of the late game in risk, each of us turtling in our own continent waiting for someone to mess up.

4. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

Damn, I'm stupid lol. Thanks!

"post edited because I found the solution to my problem"

5. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Just thought I'd share some of my last game, specifically what I've done with Paris, the best city on the map... ;) this is with Statue of Liberty, tons of maritime bonuses, some policies that improve yields, and amidst a golden age. I figured it was proper though, since I spent almost the last 40 turns of the game in a golden age. Just thought I'd show this cause it was pretty ridiculous. This is with the Economy mod on, but still...

Spoiler :

6. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Chieftain

Something very cool just happened to me in my current game. I had always been at war with the Aztecs off and on. After they attacked me in the past and took New York I responded by recapturing New York and then proceeding to raze their cities one at a time until they offered Peace with great benifits and a free city to me. That was 1,000 years ago, and the Aztecs never recovered. They're blocked by me to the North and by Tikal to the south. They've also been at war with the Iroquois off and on throughout the game and since I have the land under my control they've only been able to attack eachother with few embarked units at a time. (By the way, the AI really needs to learn to make a Navy. I haven't seen anyone with any Naval units at all except me and India had a single Caravel.)

The Aztecs are the only known Civ with whales in my game, and they absolutely refuse to trade them to me, even if I offer 3 lux resources and excess strategy resources. Montezuma just hates my guts, lol. So, after a few years I got to the point where all but 1 of my cities demands whales. So I went to war with and quickly annihilated the Aztec Empire.

Here's where it get's interesting... after that, I started to disband my Longswordsmen to save on the upkeep costs. I disbanded them to all but a few units and suddenly the Iroquois who took notice of this attacked me with hordes of spearmen, crossbowmen, and mowhawk warriors. Killing my Warriors and attacking my cities. Fortunately I'm at the point where my cities shoot rockets at attackers, I have a frigate with the range promotion near my capital and I can train Minutemen in just a few turns. After killing off their massive army they begged me for peace... and so it continues. :goodjob:

7. ljofthemm

ljofthemm Chieftain

Yeah, I never trusted Hiawatha after his initial attemp to invade, and ever since I annihilated his army in the ancient era, I've had a general and some troops posted up on the border as a deterrant. Y turns left until our American spaceship is complete!

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

:D Pretty impressive. But what´s with these white blobs that keep popping up in certain Coast tiles? :confused:

9. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

I dunno why, but whenever I take screenshots, any coastal improvement looks like that. Its also worth noting I only had 4 cities and was producing over 1000 science per turn. I only had 4 cities because I originally set out to do a cultural victory. Vertical growth can be just as good though, if your set up for it.

10. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Alruight, Mongolia is going to be free DLC, and Bayblon is going to be released to the general public. Any chance of adding those two civs? I know there's definitly room for Mongolia, and due to Asia's politics, and how they unfold (China or Siam becomes a superstate and conquors everything in sight while Japan turtles onto its islands and India just, well, dies), they desperatly need a new civ, especailly such a militaristic one. Bayblon there might not be room for, but it still would be cool to add them in. I would also love if you update the Greece version of this mod with those two civs. a 20 civ game would be flipping hardcore.

11. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

maybe, I wasn't aware that these were being released for free. I agree Japan and England both suck as AI's, but blame firaxis for that. Bablyon I doubt would make it in though just because there's really not room, arabia would be doomed if they couldn't expand into the fertile crescent. I disagree that India just dies, really almost every game I've had is different, my last game as France, the Iroquois and India were dominating the earth, probably even like 500 in score ahead of me, even though I won. The game before that, it was Aztecs and China, before that America and Siam... really the only civs I see constantly getting pawned is Arabia and Songhai. Egypt I think is too powerful, almost every game they conquer all of africa and found like 50 cities on it, and are really quite powerful, but due to the AI being dumb and all the terrain and such, they only have a tiny chance of invading anything outside of africa.

12. koskesh

koskesh Chieftain

I'm having a couple of strange bugs.. I had deleted Sidon and added the Hebrew civ at that location. Been at war with the Ottomans for a few turns, at the behest of Bismarck.

Now Bismarck ends our PoC, Suleiman asks me for a Pact of Secrecy against Rome (WTF aren't I at war with Suleiman?!)and each time I End Turn peace is made with Ottomans. My units removed from within his borders. I DOW, attack, End Turn, Peace. Can't seem to keep the war on.. Bismarck is still at war with him.

The other thing is the city attack button stays lit up after attacking.

Update: Having given up on that bugged game, I tried to start a new one, but this time I couldn't select Hebrews AND load scenario together. I opened the map in WB, the extra player was there, as was the starting location, but no longer assigned to a civ. I assigned it to Hebrews again, saved and restarted. Still no Hebrews. I can only select them without loading scenario, but then I lose the TSL etc.

Curious that it worked the first time, Hebrew player, scenario loaded, but bugged wars. Any help in adding a player made civ to this map would be appreciated.

13. hammypants

hammypants Chieftain

14. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

How about letting each civ have a certain amount of workers only? 1-2-3?
    There are mods to it... perhaps it would be good against lagging...

like as I read it:

It's been discovered that large amounts of workers are what slows down the enemy turns the most. See http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94139 and http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94687 for evidence and discussion. This mod is a "speed hack" to allow playing large maps without turns taking several minutes later in the game.

1) Limits all civs to ONE worker. Can't build more if you have at least one. Note that you can still capture workers as before to gain more.

2) As compensation, gives workers 4 moves, not 2. Also, all work is done much faster. Most things take a base of 2 turns now. Roads, pillage repair, road removal, and clearing forests take just 1 turn. Oil wells take 3.

Yes, we're aware that this distorts balance significantly at the beginning, and if you happen to capture a lot of enemy workers! Until we get a proper patch, consider this an experimental alternative. You can report feedback in the above threads.
    --

You can grab this at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C49OY79K. It's a WinRAR file, extract into your Mods directory (probably in your Documents/My Games).

15. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

yea I'm aware of the lack of optimization on the worker code. I'll consider it, its a really easy fix.

16. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Chieftain

Yeah, a Limit on workers would be a very good idea. Can you make it 1 worker per city, max? Anything beyond that is excessive anyway.

17. Frosted

Frosted Chieftain

Had to register to tell you what a great map this is. The standard maps shipped with the game are quite boring to play. Your map has been very action packed and seems to be quite balanced as far as starts go.

I am playing Russia right now and I initially believed there to be inadequate iron for the Russian start position, but realized that your map forces the diplomacy options onto players which I believe is a good feature. Ordinarily I would just colonize a hex that had iron close to it, but in my current game I had to bend my strategy around what was available and what was not. Being forced to play a the game based on where you start and resources available is what the standard maps lack(most resources are available near by) and what your map excels at. In my current game I had to go heavy horse units early and trade/ally CS for the iron.

I also enjoyed the tighter quarters to my neighbors, it creates tension and makes it all that more important to make settlement at key times in strategic locations. In my current game for the first 200 turns I was embroiled in wars with every player that resided in Europe and the Middle East. I slowly started to crawl south into Arabian and Persian lands. I hadn't scouted India for a long time so we signed an open borders agreement and the next turn I had Ghandi storming 20ish units of musketmen into Africa to kill off Songhai and what was left of Arabia. I decided he was getting to powerful so I basically blockaded his army into Africa and declared war. Sidon was a huge help in dismantling his army and I used Almaty as home base for my second front.

Its too bad the game is so buggy right now. I am at permanent peace with the Persians now for some reason and they happened to settle on a fairly important choke point that will be important when the Japanese decide to move more inward.

Anyway great map, here are my questions;

Playing a North American start seems like it would be quite boring. Do you or other people have a reason why, other than being a particular Civ, it would be fun to start over there?

Have you ever thought of getting rid of Napoleon/Bismark/Elizabeth, to give more room to these Civs, and removing one of Oslo/Stockholm/Helsinki and replacing them with a Nordic/Viking Civ?

18. Alki

Alki Prince

I note that pre 'age of sail' one still can't sail to Iceland and thus the Americas is closed to Europe and vice versa. I note you can still sail to it from Asia.

Have you considered making Iceland the stepping stone to Greenland from Northern Europe?

19. Ighten

Ighten Chieftain

I agree with the above.. Excellent map (my fave now after Scotland) but I notice if you play as old Washington your pretty isolated once the Iriquois and Aztecs have gone (and you cant help disposing of them as they just seem to declare war on you without an army of there own just because your around).. I wonder if adding another civ such as Canada or Vikings (lets presume they got there first :) ) would solve it..

Actually slight edit to that..since the patch the AI seems to have discovered Naval.. Your still playing a long begin game building up as washington a force that can set out and colonize areas whilst waiting now for a naval force to test your defences (I like it)

20. stormyorky

stormyorky Chieftain

I always play with "quick combat" turned on in advanced settings, but since there is no "load as scenario" checkbox in advanced settings, I cant use quick combat with this map.

BTW Im playing as France right now and Im still in the BC's and I dominate in Europe. Took out Germany early and puppet Romes second city in ~Hungary. Had to make peace with Rome as I couldnt take rome with only warriors.
    But now when I own almost all of mainland Europe, Ottomans, Arabia, Rome, England and Russia all DoW'd me. I have been through a very tough and interesting defensive war. I had a taskforce sent through caucasus towards arabia when Russia declared on me, and this force (4 warriors and a general) got boxed in between Russia and Arabia. It was a very sweaty period, Russia pressuring my eastern flank (I almost lost my city in northeast europe). But now the tide has turned, Arabia and Ottomans asked for a white peace after a long stalemate. Now Yaroslavl is beeing burned to the ground (my Edirne which I took from ottomans, location around Ukraine, was close to Yaroslavl so Yaroslavl needs to burn :). Rome is gonna be contained on their peninsula while I march for Moscow with my main force. As usual, England does nothing but sit in their boats, "blockading my ports". I'll farm som xp with a pair of archers in the French beaches, picking off their boats :)
    As you can hear, Im really enjoying this!