Shining in the Darkness - development and workshop thread

Daftpanzer

canonically ambiguous
Tributes and respects to Swirly Lights Yonder and GalaxyNES among many others

Shining in the Darkness

Link to video.

Hello! some reading this may recognise me from NES forum, which I joined way back in 2005 or so. I always loved modding my own games, with varying levels of success. I have to say, I'm genuinely happy to see IoT picking up where NES left off. Now I'm feeling the itch to get back into forum gaming. And I have an idea which I think could actually work.

Now, originally, I was going to ask if there is room for a space empires game on this forum. However, I see that question has been answered ;) So instead I'll ask, is there room for another space game?

There are some big differences between my game and Immac's. The game I'm planning is ALL alien. NO humans. It'll be set in an isolated bunch of stars (I'm thinking, part of a spiral arm that was ripped away during a collision between two galaxies - while it slowly spirals back to merge with the new supergalaxy, it has a mix of star types and enough fuel to keep making new stars for a while). I understand this will not appeal to everyone.

NO forerunners or ancients - YOU will be those ancients, you will set the story. You are the very first civilizations to awaken. Perhaps you will one day play as descendant races in a new age of the galaxy. Basically, its a blank canvas. If there are to be cycles of growth and destruction/ascension into another dimension, you will decide.

The pace of the game may be somewhat faster, in terms of progression of technology etc.

It will be somewhat 'gamey'. I want it to be fun, and not to get bogged down in attempts to justify itself with hard science. But still, it needs to be grounded. You're going to need to deal with economic realities, and simulated citizens with needs and wants.

ECONOMICS

Here's the economic model as it currently stands:

It may look complicated, hopefully not too much. Basically, I wanted to A: introduce interesting choices about how and where to develop, not just 'grow more eco' each turn, and B: I wanted to make trade more interesting... Instead of 'two players sign treaty, get X-EP trade bonus out of thin air', I wanted to make trade a genuine *trade* - so that if one player conquers it all, he/she gets all the pie, with no missing pieces.

Now behold, the Economic Point shall be your unit of productive wealthiness, and you shall know it as the EP. You will gain a base rate of EP from your most developed systems, and further EP from fuelling them with resources, gathered from your colonies or mining fleets. You shall not profit from reaping more resources than you actually need - except if you work out a trade with another player. You shall gain further EP when your different types of developed worlds are able to trade with each other (or those of another player).

You have a choice of three main types of economic engine, you get to start with one of them as your homeworld:

Industrial World - focused on raw industrial might. The machines have taken over, crushing nature in their wake. You will be going into space to look for new sources of minerals to feed the ever-hungry machines. Fortunately, minerals should be the most abundant resource you will come across. Industrial worlds can also spawn many spaceships at a time thanks to their production capacity.

Metropolis World - focused on light industry and services. A huge centre of population, with billions of beings. Again, nature has most likely given way to this urban sprawl, but some surface farming may still be possible. Most likely, you will be going into space looking for sources of Food, and also for places of escape and relaxation from the megacities, places to rediscover something wild and pure - we might call this mysterious quality 'Zen' (as outrageously inappropriate as that is, I'm going with it for now :p). Metropolis worlds are cultural powerhouses that can influence other races, and can also spawn many Troops, Diplomats and/or other agents at a time, thanks to their huge manpower. They can also be difficult places to govern effectively, being prone to riots and rebellion.

Laboratory World - Science and academia has triumphed, and this world is ruled by sprawling technological institutions, country-sized universities, and radioactive testing grounds, everything focused on high-tech industry. Eccentricity gets you ahead! Most likely, you will be going into space looking for oddities to investigate - like unusual minerals and materials, or particular alien life forms to study. Naturally, researching new technologies will be somewhat easier.

In addition, there is the Fortress World - a sprawling mass of military installations, underground bunkers and missile silos. This world can survive bombardment by a large enemy fleet, and gives a large bonus to any allied defenders in the vicinity. Your first choice for continuity of government and C&C. But Fortress Worlds do not contribute any EP, so are not really a good starting choice for any except the most paranoid civilizations, or those who plan to just sit and observe history unfold.

So what do you do with all this EP? Well, you have to pay to colonise new systems - and if the environment is hostile, there can be a flat extra cost (like +2EP for all buildings) OR a cost multiplier, that will make it very costly to build the high-end developments. Generally, as you see from the chart above, the resource colonies cost far less than the developments that actually convert that into EP.

UNITS

You can, of course, build what we will call 'units': build more Exploration Ships to survey more stars simultaneously, build Troops to guard and maintain order (and invade other planets), build warp-capable Missiles to strike enemy planets and fleets, build Star Fighters to attack enemies in space and on the ground, build Warships to control space and conduct bombardments and/or invasions, build massive Bombs to devastate enemy worlds, build static Defence Guns to protect your own worlds, build Diplomats to improve relations and make formal in-game treaties, build Freighters to trade with other players or do some space mining... And perhaps a long list of UU's and increasingly-fearsome superweapons that players will invent. Most default things will cost 1EP to build, and most will cost 1EP a turn to maintain - simple!

Also simple shall be fleet command and unit movement - given the time frame of each turn (X number of years) fleets will be able to travel all around the galaxy in that time. However, the 'safe' range will be shown on the map, emanating from your settled systems - going beyond this radius will incur increasing risk of mishaps and disasters; being stranded in deep space with no fuel and a broken FTL drive is every space-farer's nightmare!

I'll also take relative initiative into account - IE, expect an opponent to be ready and waiting, if you're attacking with ships from the other side of your empire. For that reason, position of units at the start of a turn will still be important.

STATS

Sample stats, 5 turns into a test game, look like this (being unlucky with some costly systems to develop, and then rushing into a war at first contact) - again, hopefully not too complicated?:

Hrosan Empire
1 Industrial World

1 Food eaten (2 wanted)
4 Minerals used (5 wanted)
1 Zen enjoyed (1 wanted)
1 Oddities investigated (1 wanted)

0 of 2 industrial goods traded (could trade with Metropolis or Laboratory worlds)

= 8 EP income

2 Troops (x1): 2
2 Explorers (x1): 2
1 Freighters (x0.5): 0.5
1 Warships (x1): 1
1 Star Fighters (x0.5): 0.5
Total: 6EP upkeep

2 EP banked, treasury is now 3EP.

EXPLORATION

Exploration should be one of the most fun parts of the game. Each system will have one major planet of interest, so I'll really be able to go into detail about the terrain, climate, and wildlife (if any), which will all be constructed based on a few different dice rolls. There may well be other sentient life forms at a pre-warp level of technology, giving you the whole dilemma of if/how to interact with them. Or there may be other mysterious life forms and geological oddities unique to that system. Who knows what is out there!

Many stars on the map will be just be part of the background to begin with - the action takes place around a few systems of interest, which may change throughout the course of the game. Likewise, we'll assume these systems have one major planet where the action takes place, representing other inhabited moons / planets. This will make large empires much more playable (and make things much easier to update!).

To begin with, you'll be able to see nearby star systems of interest, and telescopes will have detected signs of life or abundant minerals (or both). But you won't know any more than that until you send an Exploration Ship (or a UU with similar abilities).

Surveying a system will take a whole turn. Then you'll get a detailed report about the local planet of interest, including potential for colonisation (and associated costs) and any hazards to watch out for. Some things may take longer to investigate, so it will be up to you to stay for another turn to get more info, or to move your exploration ships on to another system.

AUTO-COLONISING: to speed the game up, you can allocate a certain amount of EP for immediate colonisation when exploring new star system(s). Of course, you can set conditions on this (like only colonise if X amount of profit can be gained, etc). This way you can colonise a system the same turn that it is explored, without waiting for the update and the following turn.

RESARCH, TECHNOLOGY and PROTOTYPE UNITS

Rather than having a pre-planned tech tree that may be of little interest to players, I'd rather let players set the agenda. I want to treat techs like special projects / wonders you may have seen in other forum games. That is, you will set out the goal - improved spaceship weapons, spaceship defences, more EP income, higher morale, more cultural influence, more trade goods - and then you can pick from a selection of project proposals that you get back, knowing roughly how much EP and how many turns will be needed.

Tech projects will generally be expensive - nothing less than 5EP, increasing throughout the game - and they should have a big impact, to avoid cluttering the game with lots of miscellaneous techs. There will also be an element of chance and risk involved - the project may run into complications, meaning more time and more EP is needed - such that you may end up cancelling a troublesome project altogether. To get the ball rolling, you'll start the game with some project proposals relating to your race's traits.

If you want to design a new unit, similarly, we'll treat that as a project with some risks involved. You don't need any new technologies to design a new unit, as the default unit list leaves plenty of room to expand upon. Ideally, you'll complete a prototype unit and then decide if you want to mass produce it or not - prototypes can have unexpected quirks (good and bad), such that you may want a complete redesign. But if you really need a new unit urgently in large numbers, you can throw large amounts of EP at it and hope for the best!

Completed techs and unit designs can of course be traded with other players, or you can at least make it easier for them - it may still take some EP and some time for other players to digest the new technology for themselves. For this reason, it may be easier simply to buy and sell completed units.

ADVANCED RULES:

Spoiler Advanced Rules :
DIPLOMACY, CULTURE and RELATIONS

A big idea I want to stress is that of in-game attitudes of and between races. In most games, relations are basically what the player decides, and wars can start at the drop of a hat - its always been the same, even in NESes. In this game I want to mix things up a bit, and actually have cultural influence as a thing. So I will be taking into account in-game relations between races, which can be very high even if the respective human players are at odds with each other.

Basically, if another race has invested in influencing your people and spreading good will, the pay back is reluctance amongst your military to attack them - even to the point of mutiny and desertion. You will then have to invest some energy in giving me an in-game justification for going to war! To avoid all this, you may want to gamble with declaring war at first contact, before any friendly relations can be established.

COMBAT

I'm being deliberately vague about this to begin with. You are playing as races that are new to space, and war in space will probably be new as well (certainly interstellar, inter-species conflict will be new). You have a few different kinds of units to play with, and I will let you experiment and figure things out for yourselves ;)

In general, you will find that you will be able to do all the usual things - blockade, raiding and bombing to disrupt the enemy's resources and EP income, and invasions to capture enemy colonies intact. Seeking a decisive battle or waging a war of attrition could both be viable strategies.

When it comes to resolving battles, I'll be using some dice rolls, and technologies can give you multipliers to damage, accuracy, armour, stealth and etc. But it won't be stat-driven combat, as much as it will be good old-fashioned moderator reckoning.

MORALE, STABILITY and REBELLIONS

There will be no specific stats in this area, but plenty of warning in updates and feedback.

Morale and stability will be noticed through EP bonuses and penalties, as well as factoring into battles and ground wars, and also through events and special happenings each turn. Needless to say, any special agents or covert ops you undertake will have an easier time amongst a population who are demoralised, unstable, and/or under the cultural influence of your faction.

OFFICIAL UNIT/BUILDING LISTS:

Spoiler Official Planetary Building List :
Developed Worlds
--------------------

Industrial World: 10EP
A world focused on raw industrial might. The machines have taken over, crushing nature in their wake. Industrial worlds can spawn many spaceships at a time.
* Produces 1EP / turn by default, and boosts demand for Minerals (usually by +4)
* Produces trade goods - Industrial Goods (usually 1 for every 2 Minerals consumed)
* Acts like a mining colony, extracts all local Minerals
* Build up to 5 starships a turn at this system (instead of the usual 1)
* Massive pollution is likely to kill any wildlife and prevent local farming (without technologies to reduce damage), severe spills and accidents are possible

Metropolis World: 10EP
A huge centre of population, perhaps with billions of beings. Nature has most likely given way to this urban sprawl. Metropolis worlds are cultural powerhouses and can also spawn many troops and agents at a time. They can also be difficult places to govern effectively, being more prone to riots and rebellion.
* Produces 1EP / turn by default, and boosts demand for Food (usually by +4) and Zen (usually by +1)
* Produces trade goods - Consumer Goods (usually 1 for every 2 Food consumed)
* Build up to 5 troopers or agents (etc) a turn at this system (instead of the usual 1)
* Urban sprawl and pollution prevents much local farming (without technologies to reduce damage), riots and unrest are more likely

Laboratory World: 10EP
Science and academia has triumphed, and this world is ruled by sprawling technological institutions, country-sized universities, and radioactive testing grounds, everything focused on high-tech industry.
* Produces 1EP / turn by default, and boosts demand for Oddities (usually by +4)
* Produces trade goods - Hi-Tech Goods (usually 1 for every 2 Oddities consumed)
* Acts like an Outpost, extracts all local Oddities
* Each Laboratory World gives a -1EP discount for new Tech projects, and gives a small chance of random discoveries each turn
* There are risks of radiation leaks, exploding toxic dumps, misfires and general mishaps on this world

Fortress World: 10EP
* No default income, resource demands or trade goods
* Acts as a powerful unit in defence, and gives a further combat boost to all local allied units
* Very resistant (almost immune) to bombardment

Colony Worlds
-----------------
Outpost World: 2EP
This settlement is limited to a set of small bases for scientific operations. Or at least that's the cover - all that sensitive survey gear comes in handy for snooping on your neighbours, too.
* Extracts all available Oddities per turn.
* Pollution is low to none; some Food, Minerals and Zen may also be collected, if abundant on the planet.
* Early warning about hostile fleet and troop movements in the surrounding space - may give an advantage in battles.

Mining World: 2EP
Heavy mining gear, strip mining large parts of the surface and digging deep below.
* Extracts all available minerals per turn.
* Pollution generally means no significant Food or Zen output from these worlds
* Oddities may be collected if they relate to the minerals or geology of the planet.

Farm World: 2EP
Vast swathes of farmland and processing plants spread across the planet, displacing a portion of the natural ecosystem
* Gathers all available Food per turn.
* Some Minerals and Zen may also be collected, if abundant on the planet.
* Oddities may still be collected if they relate to organic things that can be farmed on the planet.

Garden World: 2EP
This world is preserved as-is, with self-sustaining settlements blending into the environment. It may be a spiritual retreat, a place for extreme sports and training, a place of cultural significance, or just a place of inspiration.
* Provides all available 'Zen' from the planet.
* Some Food may also be collected if abundant on the planet, likewise some Minerals and Oddities if they are easy to access.

Spoiler Official Unit List :
Default Units
---------------

Exploration Ship: 1EP to build, 1EP upkeep
* Surveys unexplored systems, returning useful data the same turn (other units can technically explore, but will take more time)
* Extended range - unlikely to suffer mishaps from strolling a little outside your support radius
* Scanning - being loaded with survey gear, they can also function in the intelligence-gathering and early-warning roles
* Minimal weapons
* Carry 1 Diplomat or other Agents only

Diplomat: 1EP to build, 0.5 upkeep (can spend more on upkeep to make more of an impression)
* Allows meaningful in-game diplomacy (formal treaties etc) with another player - one or other player must have diplomat in the other's territory (ideally, both sides will exchange)
* Allows diplomacy with NPC factions, especially low-technology cultures
* Spreads cultural influence where possible
* Passive(?) intelligence gathering
* Transportable, otherwise cannot go into space

Agent: 1EP to build, 0.5EP upkeep (spend more for specific operations)
* Acts as spy, provocateur, assassin, saboteur or spy-catcher as required
* Passive or Active intelligence gathering
* Performance is highly dependent on relative technology and the amount of cultural understanding between your faction and the target faction
* Not shown publicly on galaxy map!

Star Fighters: 1EP to build, 0.5EP upkeep
* FTL-capable fighter craft
* Short range - will fight at a disadvantage if making an FTL jump straight into battle
* Relies on manoeuvrability, stealth, and hit-and-run
* Chance to intercept enemy fighters and missiles
* Aerospace capable, can attack enemy Troops
* Transportable - can launch into action from a Freighter or Warship

Freighter: 1EP to build, 0.5EP upkeep
* Set up trade with other players - one freighter can handle an exchange of 2 trade goods imported & exported per turn, *OR*:
* Transport 1 small unit, such as: Diplomats, Troops, Fighter, Missile or Bombs, *OR*:
* Conduct space mining - can extract food or minerals from rich star systems
* Has minimal, if any, weapons

Warship: 1EP to build, 1EP upkeep
* Capable in attack and defence, will generally repel an attack by Fighters 1-on-1, but will not be able to pursue them
* Ideal for blockading enemy worlds and preventing any resources flowing
* Can bombard planets with onboard weapons, and support friendly Troops
* Transport 1 small unit, such as: Diplomats, Troops, Fighter, Missile or Bombs

Defence Guns: 2(+)EP to build, 0.5EP upkeep
* Shoots at enemy Fighters, Warships, Missiles and Bombs
* Heavy long-range weapons will strike first in combat
* Reinforced structure can absorb extra punishment
* Warning! Minimal use against enemy troops once they make it through to the surface
* Surface installation, thus any extra build costs for the system will also apply
* Immobile, naturally

Troops: 1EP to build, 1EP upkeep
* Guard or invade planets - troops are the only way to physically capture territory (aside from a willing surrender)
* Maintain order and help prevent rebellions

Bomb: 1EP to build, 0.25EP upkeep
* Bomb planets and troops with efficiency, may completely destroy enemy colonies
* Extra environmental damage, can permanently ruin planets when used en-mass
* Can also be detonated in space, perhaps used as a kamikaze device by a transporting unit
* One-shot weapon (naturally)
* Transportable - otherwise immobile

Missile: 1EP to build, 0.5EP upkeep
* FTL-capable guided missile craft
* Target enemy planets or large ships (the larger and slower, the better - no guarantee of hitting the target)
* Missiles may be able to completely bypass enemy warships and defence guns when attacking planets
* Weaker than Bomb, but still does considerable damage to planets (may disrupt several EP's worth of income)
* One-shot weapon!
* Transportable - can launch from either a planet or transporting unit

----------

So I think I'll dump this here for now... What I'd welcome is any feedback/suggestions, any expressions of interest... maybe even some ideas for unique alien races if anyone wants to start posting them - with a view to starting at a near-future, fusion-powered level of technology. Bonus points for truly original, non-humanoid races (but of course, I'd like to see a few good old humanoids as well - even one gratuitously human-like race could be allowed ;) ).

Thanks and feel free to post :salute:

So in. Full sign up coming

Looks interesting, and will certainly be joining up!

Any chance of a future early civilization game like the one that was being run on Frontier? Those games of yours are my absolute favorite, and it always breaks my heart when they don't last.
The ASH BEAR will rise eventually.

Or NEScraft. That was hella fun.

Um, absolutely in. Not much more constructive to say at this point, using all intellectual energy towards making an unique alien race :p

Interested but can't join until late August. If it's running by then, I'll certainly join in.

Interested! Sounds a bit like the Space Age in Spore actually.

Why do all the good games have to start at once? :p This is still too good an oppurtunity to pass up.

Would it be alright to recycle a race I created for the previous ten or so stillborn IOTs set in space?

Sounds like fun! Count me in!

Man, thank you guys! I really feel at home seeing your avatars again :D

I'll be posting more info shortly that might help with race / civilization ideas.

Any chance of a future early civilization game like the one that was being run on Frontier? Those games of yours are my absolute favorite, and it always breaks my heart when they don't last.
The ASH BEAR will rise eventually.

Or NEScraft. That was hella fun.

@thomas, I'm so sorry for my crash-burn cycle with those games. I really loved your input. Indeed, I had an idea for NESCraft-Lite, that could evolve into a tribe-em-up if people have enough babies. But, one thing at a time. I'm certainly not preventing anyone else using the idea ;)

First post updated with more stuff!

To get the ball rolling, here's a species idea:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Species: Satel

Polity: Satellian Alliance

Home planet: Sallanch, swampy terrestrial world with above-normal gravity.

Physical Description: small omnivorous humanoids with smooth grey-blue-purple skin, reaching 3-4 foot tall at the shoulder. The head has a long snout and mouth, dark eyes mounted partially to the sides, and a flexible, fleshy crest that rises 1 or 2 feet, topped with nostrils.

The Satel evolved from amphibious air-breathing creatures and retain many aquatic traits - large paddle feet and snorkel head. They remain fairly good swimmers and divers, though the head crest has taken on the role of visual communication, being covered with chromatophores that change colour to express emotion. This is useful as vocal abilities are slightly limited, though the crest can produce loud trumpet sounds and various musical notes.

They are technically egg-layers, though the soft eggs are laid directly into a pouch where they continue to develop and absorb nutrients until 'hatching'. Modern machines can play the role of an artificial pouch, sparing females from the later stages of pregnancy, though this is controversial.

They have male and female genders, but as an interesting note, almost a third of the population have trans-gender characteristics, effectively forming a third gender, with important cultural roles.

Rise of technology: the original niche of the Satel was as amphibious foragers and occasional hunters, using bone spears and body armour made from the thick hides of swamp animals. Still they were kept to marginal areas by fearsome swampland predators and by their own sibling species, who were taller and more strongly-built. Gradually, the Satel developed a passion for agriculture, animal taming, and water management - building dykes, canals and storage pools to control their food sources throughout floods and droughts. From the very beginning, expertise in engineering led to prosperity and social success. From there, it was a slow and steady march towards high technology.

The Satel were blessed with a rather peaceful and social disposition that made large-scale warfare a rare event; cultivation of various narcotics helped to spawn a number of imaginative religions and philosophies that were capable of spanning individual tribes. But competition between growing city- states remained strong enough to gradually drive technology into the industrial era. The first societies to build practical airships gained an especially large amount of prestige on this swampy world, and in their travels they created a global set of cultural and economic norms; their descendants inherited a passion for flying and exploration which drove the development of seaplanes, jet aircraft, space rockets and, eventually, contributed to the exploitation of asteroids and moons in the Satel home system. Of course, they did not stop there.

It is now twenty thousand years since the first cities were built. With agricultural, biological and medical breakthroughs allowing huge populations to sustain themselves comfortably - transforming vast tracts of swamp into towering cities of glittering, organic-shaped buildings - this society has found the collective brainpower to figure out the science of warping the fabric of space-time itself. A joint effort of leading city-states has now created the first Satellian exploration ship capable of travelling the vast distance to the stars...

Primary Colour: Imperial Purple

Secondary Colour: Gold

Icon: A sphere hovering above a sharply-pointed triangle.

Pros:
* Fast Reproduction (-2EP to build Metropolis Worlds, extra Food demands)
* Socially Progressive (Diplomacy and Culture buff, extra Zen demands)
* Good Pilots (Small craft bonus)
Cons:
* Fragile (Combat penalty, extra costs to settle very harsh environments)
* Pacifist (Morale suffers from prolonged war)
Quirks:
* Semi-Aquatic (extra costs to settle dry worlds; discount to settle swamp and ocean worlds)
* Appetite for Narcotics (?)

Starting planet type: Metropolis World.

Desired starting units: Exploration Ship, Diplomat

Local Star names: Nischla, Aishen, Schmib, Sassim, Aschla, Naschib, Schneeb

Architectural Style (optional): Curving, natural forms, leaf-shapes, with lots of bright colours and glass, typically rising to a sharp point. Satel love to build their buildings directly over water.

Spaceship Style (optional): similarly, smooth curves and leaf-shapes are preferred. Spaceships have cultural value, and must be aesthetically pleasing.

Typical Characters (optional): Stoic tribal elder, with drooping crest and chin-beard, smoking various narcotics; Urban trader-diplomat, dressed in the finest flowing purple robes, with a dignified yet friendly disposition; Eccentric space engineer, with oversize space suit, banging furiously on broken equipment with a spanner.

Random names (optional): Schmib sa Schin, Mussna, Shaloo sa Sa, Shimeea, Maish sa Aaloo.

Musical Theme:
[YOUTUBE=300]G-pfXUutRqY[/YOUTUBE]

Another concept.

Species: Kachit (Ka-Chit)

Polity: Kachit Kattak (Kachit Empire)

Home planet: Nachak, arid terrestrial world with above-normal gravity, orbiting close to an orange K-Type star, with several captured-asteroid moons. Small salty seas and freshwater lakes are separated by a continuous land surface, consisting of eroded plateaus and mesas. Native vegetation ranges from hard, coral-like symbionts, to colourful, bulbous cactus-like forms, to shrubland and tall spiky grasses in lowland areas. Land animals are universally rugged, able to survive high temperatures, high gravity, low moisture and sandstorms. The air, sea and ground all have orange-golden hues. The planet has a slow pace of continental drift, and so its internal heat is vented through massive volcanic eruptions.

Physical Description: the Kachit bear a superficial resemblance to large snails with a quill of spikes on their backs. They are omnivorous. All the main organs, including the brain, are packaged into a small, armoured torso, no more than three feet tall, sitting on top of leathery, muscular 'foot'. This foot is amorphous and highly flexible, and can extrude fingers and appendages to manipulate objects as needed. Two pairs of eyes - for long and short vision - can be retracted under armour plates. The quills are mildly poisonous and grow continually. A breathing tube contains filters that keep dust from entering the lungs, and also allows interesting vocalisations.

Rise of technology: the Kachit have a long history of warfare. Their small stature and slow ground speed proved no obstacle to violence - clubs and lassos eventually gave way to iron maces, crossbow bolts, and finally hand-cannons. Tribal feuds were the norm. Though naturally well-protected against other animals, those clans which developed effective weapons were able to hunt with greater success and to crush their rivals.

The ancient Kachit did have their share of transcendent spiritual beliefs and common ideals which could have brought greater unity. But the lack of suitable animals for transport, and the lack of waterways for boats, made it much harder for the Kachit to maintain unified states, or to trade across long distances. Nor too could raiders roam across large distances. As a result, a patchwork of settled kingdoms arose, fighting border wars with each other at a slow pace.

It took almost thirty thousand years from the iron age to reach the industrial age. With steam trains and auto-mobiles, as well as telegraph communications, huge empires and a global economy could finally be built. Still the process was slow - ancient traditions took a long time to overcome. Another thousand years passed, and a nuclear world war was fought, before one polity was finally able to establish world dominance. It is the nature of the Kachit not to rest until they have one strong, proven leader to rally behind. Thankfully for the ruling dynasty, new technologies have allowed them to extend their usual forty-year lifespan by considerably longer, making for fewer hazardous transitions of power. But the Kachit Kattan remains fundamentally unstable. The Emperor needs to inspire loyalty by expanding his domain to ever greater frontiers - to the very stars.

Populations remain fairly low - the agricultural potential of their homeworld never allowed for dense populations, even before the nuclear war and recent super-volcano eruptions - and so the Kachit have turned to mechanisation and an increasing degree of subterranean living. A millennium of fervent industrialisation has transformed the planet, and put even the hardiest of native species under threat of extinction.

Primary Colour: Autumn Leaf

Secondary Colour: Gold

Icon: An angular 'U' shape crowned with a sphere.

Pros:
* Hardy (Combat bonus, less costs to settle harsh environments)
* Engineer (-2 EP to build Industrial Worlds, ships can sustain more damage)
* Warrior (Combat bonus, morale boost during war)
Cons:
* Capricious (Less stability and loyalty)
* Slow Reproduction (+5EP to build Metropolis Worlds)
Quirks:
* Desert Dweller (extra costs to settle ocean worlds; discount to settle arid worlds)
* Materialist (reduced demand for 'Zen', Culture has less effect)

Starting planet type: Industrial World

Desired starting units: Exploration Ship, Troops

Local Star names: Katan, Rackchit, Nakkarat, Karaki Kur, Lak, Chirra

Musical Theme:
[YOUTUBE=300]DXulVVc2fXU[/YOUTUBE]

I hope so, I just spent the last two hours working on mine.

I'll probably be joining as the compulsory ravenous insectoid race. I have a question though--would it be possible to create agricultural world's to support all your metropolitan worlds?

Also is it possible to join as a race of self replicating biodrones.

Apologies, I'm just playing right now with how I'd like race submissions to work. The above races may or may not become NPC's, or anyone is welcome to use them as a basis for their own race.

Please feel welcome to throw ideas out - don't feel obliged to write as much as I did. I get carried away with this stuff ;)

Would it be alright to recycle a race I created for the previous ten or so stillborn IOTs set in space?

I meant to say, yes that is fine! I'm planning on using some races from Swirly Lights Yonder, with some changes.

Are we going to be able to design our own species?

Absolutely!!

I'll probably be joining as the compulsory ravenous insectoid race. I have a question though--would it be possible to create agricultural world's to support all your metropolitan worlds?

Also is it possible to join as a race of self replicating biodrones.

Yes, it will be fairly cheap to create farming worlds. And of course I could count a 'hive planet' as a Metropolis world.

The only issue I'd have is with using Starcraft Zerg-like biotechnology as a starting race. That strikes me as something that should be created in-game, once players already have hard technology to travel through space and do advanced genetic engineering. But I'm willing to be convinced on that :)

Are there rules re: the Design of species?

Not at this point :) I'd just like your species to be at the point of making its first interstellar travels (indeed it is a wonderful coincidence why many species are arriving at this point at the same time).

Apart from that, I'm still not sure if I want to write out a huge list of pre-defined Bonuses and Penalties to pick through... I think it might be more fun just to work with whatever ideas you have.

If it can be balanced, I'm happy.

Well, there's an OBVIOUS reason... There was an ancient alien race (HUMANS) that was exerting it's hegemony, subtly preventing other intelligent races from evolving.

Then they ascended/died/turned into GODS, and left their artifacts in deep space for us to find, and we're all evolving at the same rate!

:D

Top Bottom