1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Ship Movement

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Pandab2002, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Pandab2002

Pandab2002 Chieftain

Hi. New to Civ 6. Love the game but a lot of strange quirks. Playing the Viking dude. I have a couple Longships. One turn they have 4 movement, the next turn they have 5. I can't seem to figure out why. I've been playing for about a month now and I have not noticed this before. Is this by design or is it a bug?

2. Olleus

Olleus Chieftain

Welcome to the forums!

Long ships have a bonus movement if they start in shallow (coastal) waters. Like all ships, they also get +1 movement if they start stacked with, or adjacent to, a Great Admiral.

3. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Completing Mathematics also gives +1 to naval units. Admirals cannot keep up with the extra movement they grant, so you cannot attach them and actually use the bonus. Has anyone modded the game to fix that?

4. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

The Admiral movement bonus was probably designed for a quick attack, and not for a quick invasion (so that extra movement gives you a good chance of a first strike when already in position). I suppose they'd have fixed it in one of the patches if it was a mistake. Also, the later era ships have different movement points anyway.

5. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Well the admirals and ships spawn in the same place and if the civ you are going to attack is distant the presence of the admiral slows you way down if you decide to take him with you. I usually get retire them immediately, and for many of them I think this is optimal. Especially the admirals which give free units and allow you to form a fleet and armada. If you have a ton of harbors and beeline Square Rigging any civ in the game can have a scary fast frigate armada courtesy of one of the admirals.

6. Olleus

Olleus Chieftain

Making the admiral boost apply to himself seems hard. Giving an admiral +1 base movement seems much easier, and has exactly the same effect :D (unless you have several next to each other.)

Incidentally, that's what I'm doing in 8 Ages of War, along with a myriad of other (small) changes.

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I tend to have my admiral 2 tiles in front so if I need a burst of speed for a couple of turns he can keep up, a bit naff though

8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I keep information age admirals around. Good for defense. Stacks with Defenders of the Faith. 3 or 4 rank 3 battleship armadas defending a city with a +15 boost is pretty nice. And the admiral can city hop in one turn. Pretty handy.

Victoria and stinkubus like this.
  9. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

what's the max movement bonus you can get?
    +1 for mathematics, +1 for great lighthouse, +1 for admirals, +1 if built in a royal navy dockyard. = 4
    is there any more?

10. Victoria

That sounds about right... I have never got my ships faster than 9 as England which to be honest is good enough.
    You can run the lostics card to get 10 or you can be Persia and get to 11

A spearman that can move 7 tiles is pretty awesome but off subject I guess.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017 at 3:46 AM
  11. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

Oh, i forgot promotions! +5 then. at least for some.
    Edit:
    what i find aggravating though, is that not all ship classes have the same movement points: submarines and carriers are slowest and destroyers and battleships also aren't the same. so you either have to split up your fleet or just wait for the slowest...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017 at 4:54 AM
  12. Victoria

I struggle with an ironclad going faster than a destroyer :crazyeye:

Turrdy and Olleus like this.