1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipquiz

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Civinator, May 1, 2018.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Most of you know this ship, created by Wyrmshadow. It can be downloaded at CFC as 'Armored Cruiser'. In AoI it sails as 'Protected Cruiser'. What ship is it really?

Attached Files:

2. Kirejara

Kirejara King

It looks similar to the french build Pre-Dreadnought Zessarewitsch of the Russian Navy.

But Zessarewitsch had her secondary artillery in a slightly different array. The rear turret pair was much closer to the rear next to the turret of the main artillery.

EDIT: I think I have found it. ;)

It seems to the french Pre-Dreadnought Suffren (no class, since it has no sisterships ;) ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Suffren

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. Wotan49

Wotan49 amateur handicraftsman Supporter

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Civinator

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. :yup: It´s the French predreadnought Suffren.

French predreadnoughts of that era had a very special form of their davits:

There were some other French predreadnoughts, that also had this form of davits, but there is only one with two funnels, turrets with doubled guns, and such a secondary artillery.

(Image from Conway´s All The World´s Fighting Ships 1860 - 1905)

The question arises, why a predreadnought is posted as a cruiser or armored cruiser. My French isn´t the best, but may be here could be the problem:

In French this ship is named Cuirassé . An armored cruiser in French seems to be called croiseur cuirassé, or croiseur blindé . Cuirassé in French seems to be a battleship. Can it be, that Cuirassé was translated with cruiser, as it sounds something similar to it? May be here a French civer can give more and better information.

Attached Files:

5. Civinator

And now comes the other -in my eyes much more difficult - question about another ship, created by Wyrmshadow that is a part of many Civ 3 mods and scenarios, sometimes as 'Light Cruiser', sometimes as 'Ironclad', sometimes as 'Armored Cruiser'.

What ship is this in reality? Until now I have no solution myself:

Attached Files:

6. Kirejara

Kirejara King

7. Civinator

Kirejara, I think your suggestion about the Japanese armored cruiser Azuma comes very close to the ship created by Wyrmshadow. :thumbsup:
    A ship that comes even closer in many parts could be the Chilean armored cruiser O`Higgins, also an armored cruiser constructed in Europe (here England), but that ship only had single guns in the turrets of its main artillery.

It seems Wyrmshadow here did a real 'Fantasy'-ship and I will use it in my mod as a generic armored cruiser.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  8. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

I made that POS out of spare parts. The hull is a Wickes class DD, so is the bridge. The two masts and main guns and smoke stacks are from the WW1 era Sharnhorst CA. The secondaries along the sides were just a British QF 4" with a giant gun shield. They are actually the most detailed parts of that model. I made it purposely generic and bland to fill a non specific role as an early 20th century cruiser for all the minor civilizations.

That Suffren CA I had ripped from a Battlefield1942 MOD, along with a TON of my WW1 units.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. Civinator

Wyrmshadow, thank you very much for the clarification about the second unit - and of course a very big thank you very much for all your work you have done for the fans of Civ 3. You did an incredible work that gives much fun to many civers, even many years after you have done all your wonderful units. :bowdown: :thanx:

10. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here